14 replies to this topic

#1 SoCalPB22

SoCalPB22

Just Addictied...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:03 PM

I want to get a mag fed pistol. 2 of them which one is better. The tippman TPX or the Tiburus arms 8.1

#2 Toastdontburn

Toastdontburn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

The TPX will be lighter and the grips will be thinner because of the 12 gram under the barrel. In the 8.1 the 12 gram is in the mag so when you reload you never run out of ammo. I would prefer the 8.1 because it can use FS rounds.

#3 Symptomz

Symptomz

Party.

• Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:22 PM

The TPX will be lighter and the grips will be thinner because of the 12 gram under the barrel. In the 8.1 the 12 gram is in the mag so when you reload you never run out of ammo. I would prefer the 8.1 because it can use FS rounds.

The tpx can use first strike rounds with the gunhead breach adapter

#4 Toastdontburn

Toastdontburn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:26 PM

The tpx can use first strike rounds with the gunhead breach adapter

But you have to buy that for it with the 8.1 you can use FS rounds stock

#5 TooTallNiCo

TooTallNiCo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

If you're like me and run a pistol as a side arm, then TPX. If strictly pistol then 8.1

Member of the Brew City Bomb Squad
Check us out here at Brew City Bomb Squad Paintball
Veteran of Living Legends V, VI

CPX Legion: My Name is Legion, For We Are Many..

#6 Chicago Paintballer

Chicago Paintballer

Hold yer Tacos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:57 PM

The way I see it, they are perform almost the exact same way. Yes, I've played extensively with both. Yes, they both have little things that you can nitpick all day but if you want a working pistol, it doesn't matter. To be honest, you're better off making a purchase based off which feels better in your hand. A remote line can be used on both, they both run CO2, They both shoot well (heck, i have better results with my pistols than with my electros). In the end it all comes down to personal preference. If i must pick a side, I'd say go with the TPX. Only because it is cheaper to own in the long run (Remote line and mags. I already lost a TPX mag. That's 15 bucks. It's better than losing a $30 Tib mag). If you feel that maybe you want to try first strikes, get a T8.1.

On a side note, I really don't understand why people say that the T8.1 is a better primary than a TPX...
My YouTube Channel: ChicagoPaintballer

Posted Image

I don't like getting shot by my teammates so either AIM UP or MOVE UP!!!

#7 TooTallNiCo

TooTallNiCo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:42 AM

The way I see it, they are perform almost the exact same way. Yes, I've played extensively with both. Yes, they both have little things that you can nitpick all day but if you want a working pistol, it doesn't matter. To be honest, you're better off making a purchase based off which feels better in your hand. A remote line can be used on both, they both run CO2, They both shoot well (heck, i have better results with my pistols than with my electros). In the end it all comes down to personal preference. If i must pick a side, I'd say go with the TPX. Only because it is cheaper to own in the long run (Remote line and mags. I already lost a TPX mag. That's 15 bucks. It's better than losing a $30 Tib mag). If you feel that maybe you want to try first strikes, get a T8.1.

On a side note, I really don't understand why people say that the T8.1 is a better primary than a TPX...

I say better primary because of two things: 1) First Strike Ready should you care to shoot them and 2) the 12grams are in the mag, not the gun. That means shooting three mags means you've taken 7 shots out of three separate 12 grams, instead of 21 out of a single one like on a TiPX. Means you don't have to worry so much about running out of air,

Member of the Brew City Bomb Squad
Check us out here at Brew City Bomb Squad Paintball
Veteran of Living Legends V, VI

CPX Legion: My Name is Legion, For We Are Many..

#8 Phoenix01

Phoenix01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:31 PM

While the T8.1 is completely FS ready from the factory, the TPX(TiPX) can be made FS ready by the owner if they own or have access to a dremel tool. You can modify the original breach into a D shape to match the FS round. The mags have two tabs at the top that need to be removed, which is easily done with a dremel. There are instructions on how to do this on YouTube and I believe even on Gunhead's website.

What it comes down to is which one feels best in your hand and how much weight you want to carry out onto the field. The T8.1 is heavier and the mags are significantly heavier than their TPX counterparts. The efficiency of the pistol is going to determine how many 12 grams you will go through and to a lesser degree how much paint you go through. Depending on which pistol you go with will also determine how much money you are going to be spending to get the setup you want. For example, lets say you want to carry four mags in addition to the one in the pistol out on the field. For the T8.1 that means you will have 5 mags full of paint including the 5 CO2 12 grams. With the TPX that will also mean 5 mags but instead you should only need 3 12 grams(one in the pistol, two carried) at the most with a stock pistol. The exact weight is going to vary, but it is guaranteed that the T8.1 and 4 extra mags will be heavier to carry as compared to the TPX carry on setup. Of course the weight difference is going to be minimal in the grand scheme of it all, but if memory serves me correctly the T8.1 mag loaded will weight almost the same as two TPX mags loaded. So you could very well carry on twice as many mags with the TPX and use the same amount (5) of 12 grams as the T8.1 will need. Obviously this should be backed up with actual weights but I don't know those specific numbers off the top of my head.

I've mentioned my setup before, but that was in a different section. When I purchased it from the previous owner I was under the impression that the TechT spring kit was installed using the lightest spring, I was incorrect; they were just including the spring kit with the pistol. The only modification that has been done to my TPX from its original setup is a freak bored barrel. With just that mod done, using one CO2 12 gram I can shoot 4 complete mags(7 rounds each and all usable shots) before I need to change out to a new 12 gram and it is chronoed to 285. Eventually I will get around to installing the spring and then doing another efficiency test. I've yet to polish the bolt, but the finish on it is pretty good considering it is just a factory piece. TechT offers a bolt that improves the efficiency of the stock TPX to something around 50 useable shots off of one 12 gram. I want to eventually buy that bolt but I will need to modify is for use with the freak inserts and $50 is something I'm not ready to take a chance on and possibly screw up, just yet.

The aftermarket is definately there for the TPX, FS rounds are covered and efficiency is also covered in a number of ways. I'm not certain of the aftermarket for the T8.1, but hopefully someone can chime in and perhaps discuss their efficiency.

#9 picaboo8

picaboo8

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

tpx

#10 woodsballer23

woodsballer23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:29 PM

I have never shot a 8.1 but i am a TPX owner and i think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. About the whole first strike round conversion kit and the 8.1 being able to use FSR is just nonsense. I honestly think yes the FSR are amazingly accurate and are very efficient but on the other hand the cost of FSR is out of the roof. Just for a pistol i have used regular field paintballs and i have gotten outstanding accuracy like i have never seen. Plus with the 8.1 the constant opening/closing of the co2 valve is going to wear it down fast to the point it will leak everytime. The TPX has the co2 canister going into the front of the gun in a sealed chamber and is not pierced until the first trigger pull so if you never fire a shot with the pistol then a co2 canister is not wasted. TPX FTW!

GOG Extcy, Tippmann 98 Custom, Tippmann Project Salvo, Azodin Kaos - Black, Tippmann Tipx(SOLD), Planet Eclipse Etha(SOLD), GOG Enmey - Freak Green and JT Z100 Pistol(WHY NOT!)

*BALLER FOR CHRIST*

#11 picaboo8

picaboo8

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:31 PM

i like that you can use a remote with the Tpx too

#12 Soldier of Fortune

Soldier of Fortune

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

You can with the 8.1to.

I still suck and barely know positions.

thats what my wife said when I first met her...

#13 Irish725

Irish725

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:52 AM

I would say if playing pistol as a primary, or dual wielding pistols, get the TPX. It's easier to wield imo, and the mags are cheaper. If using it as a back up/FS platform, get the T8.1.

IrishBanner2_zps537819c4.png

Veteran of Living Legends V and VI...looking forward to LL VII! 

#14 NDomipolo

NDomipolo

Tier 1 is coming....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

You can with the 8.1to.

Yea but with the t8 it connects to the mags not the gun, and it's a waste when having to reload.
The mags hold one 12g but once u disengage the mag you can't reuse the 12g.

#15 Phoenix01

Phoenix01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

Yea but with the t8 it connects to the mags not the gun, and it's a waste when having to reload.
The mags hold one 12g but once u disengage the mag you can't reuse the 12g.

I thought I read that Tiberius was updating the pistol so that the remote connect was being relocated to the back of the pistol like on the TPX. Also, I pretty positive that the T8 and T8.1 mags have a check valve in them that prevents the 12 gram from degassing immediately after being ejected. The only sound you hear is the pistol itself degassing.

Edited by Phoenix01, 02 November 2012 - 06:49 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users