Photo

Why is paintball so expensive in Canada?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 thetinman

thetinman

thetinman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:28 PM

A lot of Canadians are stating how expensive paintball and paintballs are so expensive up in Canada? It's crazy, some people said that it's like $200+ a case in Canada, while here in America it's usually between $50-70. I find it bizarre because Draxxus is made in Canada, so it should be cheaper there, right?

Does anybody know why this is? Is there a tax or something in Canada on paintball?

#2 obft

obft

Bringing Sexy Back

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:32 PM

Well one factor is that American currency is worth more than Canadian, so the two can't really be accurately compared without a conversion.

#3 pballgiant

pballgiant

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:14 PM

Well one factor is that American currency is worth more than Canadian, so the two can't really be accurately compared without a conversion.

Yeah but even when the Canadian dollar was like $0.02 higher then the American dollar , paintball gear was still more expensive in Canada. My guess is that it involves where the products are manufactured, the shipping costs and the taxes since Canada is a mixed economy.
IF YOUR UNDER 18 AND PAY FOR YOUR OWN STUFF PUT THIS IN YOUR SIGNATURE
My Setup: Luxe 2.0/Empire Axe, Dye Rotor, Ninja 68/45
Empire Trracer, 50 Round Hopper, GA 50/45

#4 newwestswag

newwestswag

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:19 PM

I've always wondered that as I live in Canada. I just have to deal with it.

#5 H all day

H all day

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:23 PM

The canadian doller is more then the american doller
I pay for all my gear...Im 13.If your under 18 and pay for your gear, put this section in your sig
Proud Christian Paintballer!!

#6 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,657 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:33 PM

Try living in England and enjoy paying a 30% premium on guns that companies claim to make here.

*Cough cough Planet Eclipse cough*

Awarded: " the biggest dumbass on this forum" 2012

#7 TheGreat

TheGreat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:39 PM

The canadian doller is more then the american doller

I'm not sure what a doller is but the American dollar is worth more than the Canadian dollar.

#8 Old Dude PB

Old Dude PB

Safety third.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:03 PM

It's not the currencies. 1 USD is currently worth 1.0009 CAD. More likely it's taxes and tariffs, and the fact that the market is smaller.

#9 thetinman

thetinman

thetinman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:04 PM

The currency isn't the difference. They are practically the same right now. And even if they weren't, that wouldn't account for the huge difference in prices.

#10 NBTIppy

NBTIppy

Sterling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:28 PM

It's not that expensive every where, I pay $50-$70 depending on what I shoot that day.

I love how people see one Canadian say "It's so expensive here!" and assume that's the case for the ENTIRE nation.

#11 Lime

Lime

The Superior Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:39 PM

It's not that expensive every where, I pay $50-$70 depending on what I shoot that day.

I love how people see one Canadian say "It's so expensive here!" and assume that's the case for the ENTIRE nation.

Every goddamn Canadian paintballer I see complains, not just one or two or sixty seven.

I love you.

#12 tripp

tripp

Proudly Sponsored by ANSGear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:41 PM

Try living in England and enjoy paying a 30% premium on guns that companies claim to make here.

*Cough cough Planet Eclipse cough*

they absolutely do NOT make them in UK
they are made in Taiwan, they might be assembled in uk, but not manufactured
Sponsored By: ANSGear, Valken Paintball Southern Maryland Paintball
Posted Image
Bob Long 2k4 alias + freak + halo too

#13 Demon

Demon

Master Tech

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:41 PM

because you touch yourself at night.

Mad Cow Paintball referee and tech
UNL Husker Paintball
"Let's play a game of go fuck yourself, you first..."

My Feedback

#14 NBTIppy

NBTIppy

Sterling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:42 PM

Every goddamn Canadian paintballer I see complains, not just one or two or sixty seven.

EDIT: know what nvm I'm not going to argue about this, I only LIVE in Canada, no way I know what I'm talking about :rolleyes:

Edited by NBTIppy, 29 October 2012 - 10:46 PM.

#15 Silyputy

Silyputy

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:02 PM

i live in Canada and i dont say its to expensive... i pay what i pay because i love the sport.

If they talk shit, make them eat it.

#16 etekgirl27

etekgirl27

Uber Member

• 13,954 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:10 PM

marry me

My Feedback

Gearbag Sale

#17 Demon

Demon

Master Tech

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:28 PM

marry me

when and where? ;)

Mad Cow Paintball referee and tech
UNL Husker Paintball
"Let's play a game of go fuck yourself, you first..."

My Feedback

#18 iPumpPB

iPumpPB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:34 PM

Where I play it costs $10/100 paintballs. For me as a pump player its not too expensive as i dont go thru as much paint. But for those with high end semis and what not $20 field fee+$50+ worth of paint for one day is a bit steep in my opinion.

#19 drg

drg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:19 AM

I don't see too many Canadians complaining about it, I mostly see Americans bitching.
Keep your pump hand strong!
PUMPPB.COM TIGHTSTICK - Custom LAPCO 1-piece underbore barrel! SALE!
PUMPPB.COM - Pump paintball forums
HawaiiPB.com - Paintball forums for the state of Hawaii
HawaiiPB/PumpPB - Our videos

#20 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

200lb of unpredictable coming to hunt ya ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:39 AM

It's not just paintball that is more expensive in canada
gnUDL.png
See my about me for useful things like feedback!

#21 LUXOR54

LUXOR54

TechPB's smart ass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:20 AM

It's not just paintball that is more expensive in canada

true,
most things are more expensive in canada

DLX Luxe, 2k5 ccm'd superstock1 of 100 XSV axe pro. up north where we like maple syrup and hockey.

#22 q000ball

q000ball

i Fought The Law, And....I Won

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:34 AM

Taxes my friends. We are taxed up the ass in canada (whether that is good or bad is something i would like to avoid getting into) so everything is going to cost quite a bit more. Still some fields in ontario/quebec (cant say for sure for the rest of canada) will charge around $140 for a case, but with those fields it is obvious that a lot of the money is going into making the field better so it is somewhat justifiable. But i think the main reason they charge that much is because we are willing to pay that much.

#23 CdTriX

CdTriX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:10 AM

it's all about $$$$. paintball fields are businesses. If you want to pay for the overhead required to run a paintball business, you'll need to find money some how. At least my field has byop m-f and crazy party/high price weekends to let us byop m-f.

#24 AT3256

AT3256

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:31 AM

Yeah, have you seen the prices for Canadian breast augmentation surgeries? Absolutely ridiculous.

#25 -ORaNGe-

-ORaNGe-

No Bullshit Kinda Guy

• Administrators
  • 14,233 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

Not at all a factor and we regularly swap the lead on the value of our dollar.

It's not the currencies. 1 USD is currently worth 1.0009 CAD. More likely it's taxes and tariffs, and the fact that the market is smaller.

Taxes yes, tariffs no, we have a free trade agreement with the US, a tariff is an additional cost applied to imported items in order to discourage the purchase of foreign made goods. We now have NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement) so the only thing you'll pay on items crossing the border is the sales tax which is applied at any brick and mortar store anyway.

This will vary and yes many places will sell for a decent price, however it's typically smaller field. As for the whole expensive across the board thing, yes many Americans assume that. Keep in mind folks the price from field to field varies, province to province, Canada is larger than the US so that's a large brush you'll need to paint us all the same colour lol.

HOWEVER most larger/established fields do charge some ridiculous prices for paint, however many Canadians unfortunately have become desensitized to it or are getting price breaks from the field and kissing endless ass to keep that pricing. Pricing we get is based on the numbers we bring to a field, what we do for the event and the promotion that comes with us coming. Not because we're going to bend over, attend a shit game and tell everyone we loved it just to keep a discount. If we attend a game that is shit we won't be returning and that has happened this year.

This.

I don't see too many Canadians complaining about it, I mostly see Americans bitching.

Most have given up and accepted it as just being the way it is, but it doesn't have to, most are just afraid of being blackballed for speaking out.

Taxes my friends. We are taxed up the ass in canada (whether that is good or bad is something i would like to avoid getting into) so everything is going to cost quite a bit more. Still some fields in ontario/quebec (cant say for sure for the rest of canada) will charge around $140 for a case, but with those fields it is obvious that a lot of the money is going into making the field better so it is somewhat justifiable. But i think the main reason they charge that much is because we are willing to pay that much.

Tax is a small part of it, but trust me, I know how much fields pay for various grades and brands of paint and it IS NOT taxes.

As for my answer, it's because most Canadians have not played in the US and just don't realize what they SHOULD get for their money. There should be solid customer service, a good field, good refs all for a reasonable price yet many fields here are sub par, they treat many players and ESPECIALLY teams (Those who stand up for themselves and know what they SHOULD be getting anyway) like absolute shit and still charge an arm and a leg. One thing I can tell you is this, Citrus Connection next year is playing 4 events in the US minimum because we're tired of the cesspool that is Ontario paintball. Wasaga is a good field to deal with and they are perfectly reasonable, the paint price is still a little high ($80 per case pre-buy) but comparing the game and field they provide to other big games in Ontario that cost is justifiable in comparison.

What it comes down to is this, there are a lot of hard heads and bullies in paintball here at all levels in the paintball business, some worse than others, some are spectacular to deal with, but there are some real solid bullshit places to deal with. Myself and my team aren't willing to bend over for that kind of bullshit though and the end result is we're treated like shit by these places. They act as if we somehow "need" them or there "is no where else to play". Well, guess what, there are a lot of venues, a lot of great games out there and we will gladly withdraw our support and the support of the teams and players who regularly play alongside us and in the end the fields need paintballers more than paintballers need these fields. You need us to put food on your plate, us? Well, we don't need you at all, I'll gladly make a trip to EMR for cheaper paint, free lodging and split gas a few ways and have the time of my life at a world class field rather than your second (or third) rate event. Sorry, but your shit paint, high prices, attitude and beyond sub-par refs aren't that big of a draw =), not to mention the wonderful fixed games with staff interfering. Unfortunately a lot of teams and players are just willing to accept the high costs because they aren't aware of what else is out there.

Many fields here for a long while colluded amongst each other to not compete in pricing and all just sit back and suck up the profits, they forced paintballers to have no other choice, well, it's looking like those days are beginning to come to an end, some will stick with this but ultimately they'll suffer in the end from it as other fields adjust their pricing accordingly. The numbers were lower at just about every big game I attended here this season and Canadian Carnage offered paint at $65 per case for I believe it was a 20 case pre-buy and for good paint, this was previously unheard of. In response Wasaga came down to $80 pre-buy, also offering decent paint as well. Now that there is some spark of competition now it's just a matter of teams and players voting with their dollars and bringing a dose of reality.

All I'll say is this our home field Crazy Bill's sells paint at $60-65 a case with FREE entry and free air and he has a kickass field. There is also no taxes on that since the field is on the edge of the reserve and he still makes it by, still makes a profit. If he can be making a profit at $60 per case and no entry what does that tell you about events charging $100 plus per case and getting hundreds of players for their big games? We support Crazy Bill's with everything we have, possibly another reason certain fields want to shaft us.

Here is what I'll say, this is in regards to a team's approach, Wasaga, Flag Raiders, Crazy Bill's, Georgina and PRZ are some fields you won't mind dealing with, CQB appears to be more expensive (per case) but you don't have to shoot a lot of paint there at all, if anything the cost of a day there will likely be lower than just about anywhere outside of Crazy Bill's. If you want more details feel free to contact me on Facebook.

#26 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

You can do stuff about the pricing as stated above.

Just a few weeks ago, a group of speedballers came to the field, and complained about the pricing. Paint came down $5, and we now have special speedball pricing.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users