#1 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:26 PM

Alright gentlemen, getting TONS of questions in regards to-

"What is the velocity fluctuation between First Strike Rounds and Normal Paintballs?"

This comes down to three things-

1) Barrel Bore
2) First Strike Bore (which is about .690)
3) Paintball Bore

Assuming that the barrel was built for First Strike Rounds, it should be a .690 or large. Tight barrels damage FS fins, they don't help with accuracy or velocity with FS rounds. As a matter of fact, shoot enough FS rounds down a tight barrel, and you'll start to see plastic lines dug into the barrel, as the plastic is rubbed off the FS round and onto the barrel. It's like rubbing cheese on a cutting board

Assuming your "constants" are the barrel @ .691, FS Rounds @ .690, the variable here is going to the paintball bore.

If your paintball bores out at .680, you're going to see a 20FPS to 30FPS spike when you go from paint to FS rounds. In this case, you can expect results such as-

.680 Paintball @ 280FPS
FS Round @ 305FPS

But, if your paintballs bore out at nearly the same size at the FS round (.690), the velocity fluctuation will be relatively small, around 5FPS. So you can expect results such as-

.690 Paintball @ 280FPS
FS Round @ 285FPS

Obviously, this can all be solved by simply going to a chrono. But the biggest thing determining the size of the velocity fluctuation, is going to be answering the question-

"How much smaller is your paint compared to the FS round, which bores out at .690?"

Answer that, and you know about how much of a velocity fluctuation to expect. Hope this helps

#2 Demon

Demon

Master Tech

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:45 PM

well seems like you read my comment on your facebook page about the underbore, interesting to hear your thoughts on this and i agree with what you have posted here, as i have not used FSR's much.

Mad Cow Paintball referee and tech
UNL Husker Paintball
"Let's play a game of go fuck yourself, you first..."

My Feedback

#3 drg

drg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:00 AM

So that means that in general there is likely to be a severe spike between paintballs and FS rounds, given how .690 paintballs are quite rare these days. Interesting consideration for on the fly dual-fed guns.
Keep your pump hand strong!
PUMPPB.COM TIGHTSTICK - Custom LAPCO 1-piece underbore barrel! SALE!
PUMPPB.COM - Pump paintball forums
HawaiiPB.com - Paintball forums for the state of Hawaii
HawaiiPB/PumpPB - Our videos

#4 brycelarson

brycelarson

Show me the Data!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:29 PM

So that means that in general there is likely to be a severe spike between paintballs and FS rounds, given how .690 paintballs are quite rare these days. Interesting consideration for on the fly dual-fed guns.

correct based on my experience as well. I normally expect to see a 15-30 fps increase when moving to FS.

#5 AT3256

AT3256

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:15 PM

I wonder if we'll see markers that let you chrono for first strikes, switch to regular paint, chrono for regular paint, then adjust on the fly as you switch between the two. With first strike capable markers becoming more and more prevalent, I could see the velocity discrepancy becoming a problem as those less familiar with the quirks of FS take to the feild.

#6 tyronejk

tyronejk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:06 PM

I wonder if we'll see markers that let you chrono for first strikes, switch to regular paint, chrono for regular paint, then adjust on the fly as you switch between the two. With first strike capable markers becoming more and more prevalent, I could see the velocity discrepancy becoming a problem as those less familiar with the quirks of FS take to the feild.

That's a good idea. Especially with markers that switch between the two quickly, like the DAM. But to switch between the two, you would need to change either pressure or volume in the firing chamber, so maybe have a pneumatic piston in the firing chamber that adjusts volume? or maybe an electronically-controlled regulator.

#7 Troy

Troy

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:58 PM

It seems to me that a better idea would be to use a barrel with a .692 bore or something like that. If you overbore the FS and overbore regular paint, it'll mitigate the difference in size.
\m/

#8 Phoenix01

Phoenix01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:28 PM

Or you could just chrono for FS rounds and then expect a drop in FPS when switching to paintballs and just deal with the drop. I seriously doubt it will be enough of a drop to affect your gameplay if you take it into consideration.

#9 Lord Odin

Lord Odin

3 may keep a secret if 2 of them are dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

That's a good idea. Especially with markers that switch between the two quickly, like the DAM. But to switch between the two, you would need to change either pressure or volume in the firing chamber, so maybe have a pneumatic piston in the firing chamber that adjusts volume? or maybe an electronically-controlled regulator.

A dual regulated marker with selective fire would be the way to go. DAM is getting close but until you can tweak the velocities of each round independently, it's still lacking.

#10 wagz86

wagz86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

Haven't we already established that tighter barrels DO NOT damage fins as they don't even make contact with the fins since the equator is the widest part and not the fins? I thought this was covered already.

#11 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

200lb of unpredictable coming to hunt ya ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:12 AM

May not exist anymore but,

http://www.paintball...w-the-mbad.html
gnUDL.png
See my about me for useful things like feedback!

#12 UV Halo

UV Halo

Bringing the Big Guns to LLVI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

Haven't we already established that tighter barrels DO NOT damage fins as they don't even make contact with the fins since the equator is the widest part and not the fins? I thought this was covered already.

This is true. Still several people label equator damage that leads to fragmentation as 'fin damage'.

Maybe, with the right combination of barrels but, I don't know that just switching barrels will actually bring the velocities close enough together to warrent the trouble.

Edited by UV Halo, 07 January 2013 - 01:20 PM.

#13 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

200lb of unpredictable coming to hunt ya ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:46 PM

Maybe, with the right combination of barrels but, I don't know that just switching barrels will actually bring the velocities close enough together to warrent the trouble.

Lapco rifled barrel and freak?
gnUDL.png
See my about me for useful things like feedback!

#14 UV Halo

UV Halo

Bringing the Big Guns to LLVI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:52 PM

Given the same reg setting, the LAPCO rifled will drop the velocity quite a bit more than even reasonable underbores but, the LAPCO barrel is not compatible with the A-5.

#15 mr.satire

mr.satire

Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life fixing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

I feel for a 10 to 20 fps difference the best solution in popets would be to have the board adjust the dwell separately for each round type, assuming the user is fine with a slight drop in efficiency to compensate for the velocity difference.

To me this seems like the simplest solution to implement

#16 SCHULER

SCHULER

paintball isnt just a sport, it a way of life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

So if I buy a .693 1 piece cp barrel for my first strike project, it should work?
Feedback>http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=210389
Gear bag>http://www.techpb.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=216345&st=0&p=3195781&fromsearch=1&#entry3195781

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users