17 replies to this topic

#1 REDCOBRA

REDCOBRA

wow such paintball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:50 AM

So today I was playing some speedball and realized something. I really like playing snake (despite being 230 lbs I can get there off the break with no problems :) ). I would like to get better at snake because I am thinking about playing tourneys this year.

What are some tips and tricks to playing snake?

Posted Image

#2 ecoballer

ecoballer

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:27 AM

work on your crawl making sure your butt isnt sticking up to high

#3 A&MBaller

A&MBaller

meow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:33 AM

work on your crawl making sure your butt isnt sticking up to high

Also make sure to be patient. Your presence in the Snake will put their attention on you, which will help your team out. Don't be the person that always gets shot out just because you think you HAVE to shoot out their whole team.

#4 BobGarnly

BobGarnly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

Watch mikes videos on playing snake!
"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people."
-Eleanor Roosevelt

#5 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

From my experience playing snake, staying alive is the most important thing you can do. I know this sounds extremely "cliche", but the psychological hell you can inflict on the other team, just simply being in the snake, is an extremely powerful tool on the field. Just by getting into the snake, you can easily draw 2+ guns on you. This really frees up the dorito side to start moving up.

You really just can't try to do too much. You're going to see TONS of shots, TONS of easy kills, but because so many players are focused on you, trying to take those shots is an immediate death sentence.

You really need to patient, play tight, and OCCASIONALLY pop your head up and draw fire. It's so easy to shoot a snake player out, you can bounce shots into the snake, you can clip their pack when they try to crawl, you can shoot them as they try to move up. You really need to focus on staying tight when tons of guns are shooting at you.

You also need to learn how to "headcheck" before you come out with your gun. Just a quick look, either down the tape, or across the field that doesn't take longer than half a second is really important. If you keep your head exposed for too long, it'll get taken off.

Everyone on the field knows what "SNAKE SNAKE SNAKE!!!" means, so when they start yelling that, you can easily have 3+ guns on you for a period of time. This is when you need to ease off, don't gun battle, and just stick in tight and not move until your teammates can take advantage of your move, and start inflicting damage to the other team from other parts of the field.

Your team has to treat you getting into the snake, like the move in boxing where they wave their left fist in the air to distract (snake player), then hit with the right hand (dorito players moving up).

Of course, if your teammates sit on their ass while you draw 3 guns, then you're in deep shit. But if they are smart enough to detect the easing up in pressure as you draw the fire, they should be able to make some pretty aggressive moves up the field as you draw the fire.

My rules for snake are this-

1) Stay tight
2) Stay alive
3) don't gun battle
4) yell out positions
5) headcheck before coming out with my gun
6) moving up is more important than shooting crossfield. You get more kills at S3 than you do at S1

#6 Kirko017

Kirko017

Say no to drugs!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:00 AM

If you're playing PSP. Go to the insert bunker off the break. Battle your mirror/snake corner until your "coach" on the snake sideline tells you to go into the snake. Sit in S1 looking cross field for shots at the Dorito side, stall the game out and do not move until your coach tells you to move up the snake. Repeat procedure at the next spot in the snake. Do not do anything instinctively, only what your sideline coach says. Now you can play like goldman and the majority of the other pro players in the snake...

If you're playing NPPL. Go into S1. shoot down tape, when no paintballs are being shot at you, run down the snake and shoot people. If you get shot, keep going. NPPL refs are bad...

:dodgy:

Please be aware that I am semi-serious about this..lol You're probably better off just taking Mike's advice lol

Edited by Kirko017, 10 December 2012 - 03:01 AM.

Kent State University Paintball Club
The University of Akron Paintball Club

Eminence

Paintball gear for sale!

#7 REDCOBRA

REDCOBRA

wow such paintball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:29 PM

Played two days this weekend and I tried my hand at snake on both days.

First day :

I had perfect breaks to snake. I tried to go elbow to knee while crawling and played tight. I always got to s2 but I got clipped in the pack though.

Second day:

I had okay breaks to snake , a lot of lucky bounces allowed me to get in. I only did a combat crawl to avoid fire the entire way . I could shoot down tape but I couldnt really shoot crossfield. One game I had a perfect break, I crawled as fast as possible got out snake corner , then I got to s3 and I did a head check and I was met with 3 barrels pointing right at me. I spent 10 minutes trying to clean my mask afterwards. <_<

Posted Image

#8 dertydood

dertydood

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:23 AM

Elbow to knee technique works well.

Look up Mike's video on it, it helped me a lot.

Just remember to not put your back to the bunker that you're shooting from.- leaves you too exposed and you have less range of motion.
Swap my Ego 11 parts! OG green for white, black, silver etc.... http://www.techpb.co...1

My feedback- http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=217960-

#9 Kirko017

Kirko017

Say no to drugs!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:55 AM

The elbow to technique worked much better in my opinion in the older snake beams. These newer ones, your pack can sometimes tend to stick up depending on how big you are and the angle of other players. Sometimes, when you're in the stance, your back can be a little rounded sticking your pack up further. You really got to make sure you're not rounding your pack, every inch counts. Especially if they're in a standup or big dorito that is more perpendicular creating a smaller angle to your position on the field. They can even stand up for a sec in the larger doritos across the field and drop balls in on your pack or head.

The best way I have found to play it is to be on your stomach. Especially when you crawl up the snake now, you can't really get away with be on your knees and hands and crawling up fast like you used to be able to. You gotta stretch your legs out more and have your nuts dragging on the ground to keep your pack down. And when you first get into a new knuckle of the snake, lay on your stomach until you know where they are at before you get in that knee'd stance in the snake. Because they might be in a spot that can drop them in. You also want to walk the field prior and find which spots can drop them in on you.

So say you get into snake1. Slide in, crawl up on stomach, get to knuckle. Stay on stomach. If you have a coach, listen for his bunker calls. If he doesn't call a bunker someone can get you from, then get in the knee'd stance, make sure you're still playing low and tight though. If he calls a can say at the 40 in the center of the field then stay laid down until the paint is no longer coming over the top at you and shoot him. While you wait for your coach to tell you this, or just paying attention yourself. You should be on your stomach trying to gain dominance down the tape to keep them from moving up the snake while you are locked down from that guy in the center can.

It sounds like you're not on a team so your corner guy probably isn't going to help you out much. So you're going to be on your own. Once you hear your bunker not getting shot at, and paintballs not whizzing overhead. Snap up quick and blast the guy in the face :D

You're only going to be able to go snake off the break so often, try going to the insert then shoot your mirror/corner until you do not see paint going between the snake and your bunker and make your way into the snake. It shouldnt take you but an extra 15secs to go from the the insert into snake as compared to getting there off the break. Not too many people can afford to dump countless pods in front of the insert bunker at practice or even tournaments unless they're pro. And if they do, just stay there and giggle to yourself at the amount of cash they just wasted and never even got you out :) And eventually they will have to let up off the lane as their pack runs drys and you just sneak in there. And just know they are going to be watching you go into the snake with ease after they let off the lane and they will be mumbling curse words because you got in, and they didn't get you out after all of that wasted paint. :P..

And you only want to head check when no one is shooting at you to find bodies lol. If you see a barrel pointed at you, get back in quick and wait for the paint to let up again and have your gun ready this time and snap him out. If you go insert first instead of off the break to snake, you can usually talk with teammates and look where people went off the break in that 15secs. So when you get in the snake you can just pop up and usually surprise someone who doesn't know you jumped in there and not need to head check to find bodies

But just keep it up, you'll start catching on over time and experience and be dishing out many painful welts along the sides of fools from the snake.

Edited by Kirko017, 11 December 2012 - 01:04 AM.

Eminence

Paintball gear for sale!

#10 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

the new PSP snake bunkers, you can't hunch your back up

You have to learn to lay on your stomach, place your free hand on the ground, and pick your chest up off the ground and shoot with one hand

So it's like yoga... no actually it's not like yoga at all.. not in the slightest

Posted Image

#11 dertydood

dertydood

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

I would take yoga if she was the instructor. Not for paintball though ;)

Edited by dertydood, 12 December 2012 - 01:56 PM.

Swap my Ego 11 parts! OG green for white, black, silver etc.... http://www.techpb.co...1

My feedback- http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=217960-

#12 REDCOBRA

REDCOBRA

wow such paintball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:40 PM

Oh , my field just put in new bunkers and I thought that they felt a little low. Last time I played ,(when the old bunkers were around) I could go elbow to knee. I guessing that they are the new PSP bunkers so that's why I had to the stomach crawl to avoid getting hit.It feels really awkward now...

Also, I think I might have to start yoga soon, 'cause , it's good for you 'n' stuff Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 cybermaniac15

cybermaniac15

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,450 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

Psp style bunkers I lay down, but for nppl bunkers I go elbow to knee.

#14 Kirko017

Kirko017

Say no to drugs!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:30 AM

Oh , my field just put in new bunkers and I thought that they felt a little low. Last time I played ,(when the old bunkers were around) I could go elbow to knee. I guessing that they are the new PSP bunkers so that's why I had to the stomach crawl to avoid getting hit.It feels really awkward now...

Also, I think I might have to start yoga soon, 'cause , it's good for you 'n' stuff Posted Image

Yeah the new beams are shorter and thinner in size. If there is a cake or minirace in the snake, you can usually still elbow to knee behind them and even sit up and play them crouched/kneeled down depending on other players position on the fields. But if you're at one of the new snake Ls or just in the snake for most part, you need to lay down.

Edited by Kirko017, 13 December 2012 - 04:31 AM.

Eminence

Paintball gear for sale!

#15 Master_Chief

Master_Chief

All or Nothing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

If you're playing PSP. Go to the insert bunker off the break. Battle your mirror/snake corner until your "coach" on the snake sideline tells you to go into the snake. Sit in S1 looking cross field for shots at the Dorito side, stall the game out and do not move until your coach tells you to move up the snake. Repeat procedure at the next spot in the snake. Do not do anything instinctively, only what your sideline coach says. Now you can play like goldman and the majority of the other pro players in the snake...

If you're playing NPPL. Go into S1. shoot down tape, when no paintballs are being shot at you, run down the snake and shoot people. If you get shot, keep going. NPPL refs are bad... This is very true...I laughed

:dodgy:

Please be aware that I am semi-serious about this..lol You're probably better off just taking Mike's advice lol

Edited by Master_Chief, 28 December 2012 - 10:42 PM.

Why not?

-Derrick Rose

Square 1 Soldiers

#16 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

If you can help it and theres a guy in the can before snake, dont look along the tape unless someones trying to bunker you. Also, practice low crawling.

Face down ass up might be the way you like to fuck, but dont use it for paintball.
Another trick is practicing blind snap shooting(firing at a place without ever seeing it and shooting it beforehand) from any given place at the snake. I won one D4 practice game with another team from this. Make sure you have teammates that communicate well.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#17 Jujubeaz

Jujubeaz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:14 PM

Trust and build a relationship with your back player, your positions are the most intimately linked on the field, IMO. He should tell you when to move (if there's no coach) and where to look. One of you should guard the tape at all times, and switch who is guarding it according to who has the better angle on the other team. Most of the time I get shot out of the snake, it's because I miscommunicated with my back player. When you are pinned down in the snake, your #1 priority is to communicate with your team. They are your eyes, and your ears should always be open. Take everything I say with a grain of salt though, I'm not exactly pro. The only reason I feel like I can comment is because people always tell me it's pretty difficult to shoot me out of the snake. I am 5'6" and ~115lbs (17 years old) though... That might be part of it....

#18 mflames44

mflames44

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:17 PM

I played snake a few times yesterday at my local field. I tried a few techniques and each yielded different results, some good and some bad. Overall I learned the keys to playing snake are staying low, playing tight to bunkers and constant communication with teammates. The times my team communicated we were successful the times we didn't communicate ended badly.
"Shoot to Thrill"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users