• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Zach98

Zach98

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

Guys how do you paint rotors? with what type of paint? post pics of yours for ideas please

#2 gamefreak054

gamefreak054

BLuRGhh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:07 PM

I wouldnt paint your loader/rotor unless you have experience in painting plastics. From experience plastics seem to be more picky in how clean the plastic, what temp you apply at, and how well you apply it.

You should use a krylon fusion paint or a plastic primer paint, then most likely apply a gloss or urethane to protect your paint job. You have to do it correctly otherwise it will chip over time. Just look at all the painted loaders on pbnPosted Image. Duracoat might be better but I have no experience in that, from what ive seen that can chip over time too.

Edited by gamefreak054, 05 November 2012 - 11:08 PM.

#3 junits15

junits15

And now I am become death, destroyer of worlds

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:11 PM

I would never dream of doing it to my $200 baby...but From my experience in painting controllers. Use plastic primer then the paint of your choice (lacquer works best but is hard to find in spray cans) followed by 1-2 layers of clearcoat. If your painting a black rotor use dark colors so you can apply a thinner layer. This makes it less gummy once it dries. You can also use krylon fusion paint and skip the primer. less is more when it comes to spray paint, keep the coat as thin as humanly possible. Or else it will look like shit. GOOD LUCK!

also dont rush anything, and dont try to put the color on all in one coat. 4 thin coats is better than one thick bubbly one.

and the clearcoat is a must you can't skip it at all. It's available in all different finishes from matte to ultra high gloss

EDIT: basically do what andrew did with primer

Edited by junits15, 05 November 2012 - 11:16 PM.

Posted Image
Borg you will NEVER be forgotten.
TECHPB FEEDBACK IOG FEEDBACK
I bought an Ion.... in hindsight it was a bit of an Impulse buy

#4 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,856 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:12 PM

I painted my Rotor with Testors one coat lacqer (stubby little cans I got from Michaels) that give it that metallic car paint kinda sheen, then I hit it with a bunch of layers of clear coat.

Spoiler

Edited by andrewthewookie, 05 November 2012 - 11:43 PM.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT • 09 Impulse • HB REV-i • Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor • Grillz • PE 70/45 • Feedback - 23/0/0

Fear is the mind-killer

#5 gamefreak054

gamefreak054

BLuRGhh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:14 PM

Nice job on that paint job andrew, do you still use/own that rotor? How is that job holding up?

#6 seriouslysilly

seriouslysilly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:15 PM

Nice! Was that 1 or 2 cans of testors? They are small cans

#7 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,856 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:42 PM

Nice job on that paint job andrew, do you still use/own that rotor? How is that job holding up?

Yeah, it's my primary loader. I stuck a Seed RTR kit in it, so I'll never need to use anything else. The paint's holding up quite nicely, direct hits and all. There's a few random nicks and dings here and there, but that just comes from rough handling.

Nice! Was that 1 or 2 cans of testors? They are small cans

Yeah, they're tiny, but I was surprised with how much paint is in there. I was able to do the whole thing on one can of purple, and one can of silver. Two main undercoats of the silver, then I taped off the highlights and hit it with two or three coats of purple.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT • 09 Impulse • HB REV-i • Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor • Grillz • PE 70/45 • Feedback - 23/0/0

Fear is the mind-killer

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users