17 replies to this topic

#1 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:54 PM

Hello techpb.
I have exactly $700 dollars to spend and am not comfortable with buying used. I have been playing woods ball for 3 years with an a5 so i have some experience with maintenance. I think that the etek4 and dye rotor would be a good choice for me and i like the way that they look together. My current tank for my a5 is a 48 3000 steelie. I know that this is heavy and small but it won't be for 5 months until i have enough money to purchase a carbon fiber tank which i think i will get a ninja 50 4500, and a barrel kit. People talk a lot about the planet eclipse stock barrels being too overbore but will it lead to really poor accuracy and efficiency? So once again my plan is etek4 and rotor now, and then tank and barrel kit later. I would like you know if the 48 3000 really is too small shot wise and when the time comes where i have enough money for a tank or barrel kit which one would be more urgent.

#2 nighthunter

nighthunter

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

The Etek is definitely a solid gun and will not disappoint.
Also check out the Axe: if you can get past the odd ergonomics, it's a great shooter.

A steelie tank won't be terrible, but I think you'll appreciate the added capacity and the weight savings. In the long run, you'll be glad you got a carbon fiber tank. I run with a 45/45 and used to have a steelie: trust me the weight differential alone is worth the extra investment.

The Rotor is one of the best options available now, and is my personal favorite.

The PE overbore barrels will be just fine for your purposes. Bore sizing does very little to actually affect accuracy. Accuracy is mostly determined by paint quality: if your paint is oblong or dimpled, it won't fly straight from any barrel.
The efficiency gain with a tighter bore barrel is rather insignificant (less than 10% ) and you're more likely to get barrel breaks with a super-tight bore. If you really want something else, maybe look at a Lurker or CP barrel in .685.

What mask are you using? if your mask is uncomfortable, I'd suggest budgeting a nice one into your purchase as well.

Overall, your choices will not disappoint you.

nighthuntersig_edited-1.png

Using a gun that's been hardly maintained and tossed from person to person more than a village whore is hardly a fair way to compare the marker.

#3 canscom

canscom

Lest we forget the soldiers. who saved our country

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:24 PM

The Stock PE barrel will work just fine Every thing looks just fine and will work well for a while
Stop worrying about how you look, and start worrying about how you play. Get out on the field and play paintball the best you can, not stand at home in front of a mirror trying to figure out if your jersey matches your eyes.

#4 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:32 PM

My mask is pretty good..ish. I think its a vforce profiler or grill. Can't remember off the top of my head. THey say the chemcal antifog wears off after a while for vforce lenses and i have some fogdoc laying around will that be fine?

#5 nighthunter

nighthunter

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:34 PM

That should be fine. If you're worried about the antifog coating, Vforce does make dual-pane thermal lenses for $25. They're not necessary though. My Grill works just fine with the regular baked-on coating.

Using a gun that's been hardly maintained and tossed from person to person more than a village whore is hardly a fair way to compare the marker.

#6 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:40 PM

Lastly, with the etek 4, stock barrel, and 48 3000, and playing indoors, how many shots should i expect to get.

#7 nighthunter

nighthunter

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:46 PM

I'm not sure the exact number, but I'd guess around 4-5 pods; maybe more.

#8 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:52 PM

I'm not sure the exact number, but I'd guess around 4-5 pods; maybe more.

#9 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:51 PM

I have also heard a lot about the macdve drone dx. How does this compare with the etek other than it is quieter and smoother.

#10 nighthunter

nighthunter

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:59 PM

Efficiency will be similar. Maintenance will be slightly more advanced, but not by much. Macdevs are a bit harder to find here in the states, but that could be a good or bad thing, depending on how you look at it.
Edit: of the two, the Etek will take a bit more abuse; but both are solid guns.

Edited by nighthunter, 15 November 2012 - 12:00 AM.

#11 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

• Members
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:02 AM

I don't know if this was addressed, accuracy depends on paint and a clean marker barrels almost always have nothing to do with accuracy.

#12 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:43 AM

The macdev beats the etek in a lot of things except the trigger i believe. Is the drone trigger still good enough. I now have two choices.

1. Macdev drone dx, dye rotor, ninja 68 4500

2. Etek 4 lt, dye rotor, ninja 68 4500, barrel kit

You guys give me some feed back please because this will be my first speed ball setup. I like the etek for its looks, exposed bolt, and trigger. I like the drone for the smoothness, gentleness on paint, and noise level.

#13 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

• Members
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:51 AM

Etek but skip out on the barrel kit.

#14 GeoAkuna

GeoAkuna

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:52 AM

I would think the question to ask you is if you want something a bit more louder yet more efficient and reliable or a marker that's smoother, quieter, yet less efficient. The Drone is a bit more uncommon, if you like that. However, there will be less parts for the Drone around since it's less known.
I have no experience with these markers, so don't take my word for it. :P

#15 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:53 AM

The macdev beats the etek in a lot of things except the trigger i believe. Is the drone trigger still good enough. I now have two choices.

You guys give me some feed back please because this will be my first speed ball setup. I like the etek for its looks, exposed bolt, and trigger. I like the drone for the smoothness, gentleness on paint, and noise level.

#16 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:53 AM

#17 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:59 AM

Would the ninja 68 4500 with an adjustable regulator be ok for the drone. WHat output pressure would i need to set on the tank?

#18 nighthunter

nighthunter

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:57 PM

The drone should be fine with high or medium pressure settings. Actually, either gun should do ok with standard pressure tanks.
The adjustable output pressure is mostly for guns like the Bob Long guns that use extremely low operating pressures.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users