Photo

Need help choosing what gun to buy.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: Need help choosing what gun to buy. (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Which gun?

1. DM8-350$ (1 votes [7.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

2. Ego 09-500$ (1 votes [7.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

3. Ego 10-600$ (5 votes [38.46%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.46%

4. Bob long Closer-500$ (3 votes [23.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

5. PM8-235$ (3 votes [23.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 kuzy

kuzy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:28 PM

So after a long time talking to pll and many let downs I have found a few people who can meet me to sell there guns. I wont buy online so these are my only options for used guns.

1) DM8 cridical trigger, tadoa board, cp plug and hybrid grips hybrid Asa---350$ Not sure if it comes with case or anything. Will update soon.

2) EGO 09 comes with everything it would knew---500$

3) EGO 10 Not sure what it comes with, the guy might not sell tho---600$

4) Bob Long Closer-(Lime Green: Victory Engine, Tadao OLED Board,Violent Trigger(as well as original) and Dye Ultralite Barrel 14"--500$
Don't know much about this gun but they are pretty old right?

5) PM8 with a new planet eclipse barrel---235$

Thanks.

Edited by kuzy, 15 November 2012 - 12:49 PM.

#2 nighthunter

nighthunter

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:37 PM

If the Geo is stock, I'd skip it.
I'd probably grab the Ego 9 or 10, assuming they're both in good condition.
The closer isn't terribly old, and will work reasonably well. Maintenance is a little more extensive, but it'll shoot just as well as any new gun.

nighthuntersig_edited-1.png

Using a gun that's been hardly maintained and tossed from person to person more than a village whore is hardly a fair way to compare the marker.

#3 kuzy

kuzy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:46 PM

If the Geo is stock, I'd skip it.
I'd probably grab the Ego 9 or 10, assuming they're both in good condition.
The closer isn't terribly old, and will work reasonably well. Maintenance is a little more extensive, but it'll shoot just as well as any new gun.

Yea the geo is stock and I probably wont get it. Its just that I don't have that much money and its the cheapest but I guess for a reason. The dm seems pretty good.

#4 kuzy

kuzy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:52 AM

price drop on the closer. its now 500$

#5 510waffles

510waffles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:19 AM

Dm8 without a doubt. all of those deals are terrible except the DM8.

The egos and the closer are way overpriced.

Also, if you are afraid of the gun not working when it gets there, try http://www.trademygun.com/ theyve been doing business for a very long time and are legit

Edited by 510waffles, 15 November 2012 - 05:22 AM.

#6 kuzy

kuzy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:12 AM

Also, if you are afraid of the gun not working when it gets there, try http://www.trademygun.com/ theyve been doing business for a very long time and are legit

Thanks for the link. Theres a ego 10 on there for 625$. If I can get the ego 10 im looking at for 550$ I think that would be a good deal. What do you think of proto matrix guns? Theres one in my city with a sick rare anno and a karni barrel for 300$. Would that be better the the DM8 for 350?

Edited by kuzy, 15 November 2012 - 06:13 AM.

#7 CdTriX

CdTriX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:43 AM

ego 11s are going for 750 so if you can save up a little more you can pick up a relatively new ego 11.

#8 cybermaniac15

cybermaniac15

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,450 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:30 AM

Thanks for the link. Theres a ego 10 on there for 625$. If I can get the ego 10 im looking at for 550$ I think that would be a good deal. What do you think of proto matrix guns? Theres one in my city with a sick rare anno and a karni barrel for 300$. Would that be better the the DM8 for 350?

The price on the DM8 is a little high.. What year PM is it?

#9 kuzy

kuzy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:51 PM

ego 11s are going for 750 so if you can save up a little more you can pick up a relatively new ego 11.

Theres only one ego 11 for sale near me and its 800$ Firm. Im very tempted to buy it but I'd really be pushing my savings. Plus I need a new hopper.

#10 kuzy

kuzy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

The price on the DM8 is a little high.. What year PM is it?

The 350 one is a pm7. Its priced higher because of the very rare anno. It dose look nice I must say but I found a PM8 for 235$ with a new planet eclipse barrel. I just never thought about buying a pm gun so i don't know much about them.

Is the PM8 the last model? I see there are guns from Proto called proto matrix rail. Are those at all related to the PM? I hope not cuz there sold dirt cheap new but I'm pretty sure from what I read PM was made from Dye. Are those guns not made anymore?

#11 kuzy

kuzy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

I think this site answers my last question pretty well.....http://www.specialopspaintball.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=151711

One guy wrote in 2008:

"I know a guy that worked for Dye. He said that Dye was mad because the tech and design team For the PM5 made the PM5 better than the DM5. So, the PM team was told to model their PM6 after the DM6 but make it inferior. They did, but the PM5 was still better than the DM6. So, for the '07 year, employees were switched around and the tried to redesign the PM7 and DM7 but the had alot of problems and just released them anyway"

So dose this mean the PM5 is the best or are the PM8's at par?

Edited by kuzy, 15 November 2012 - 01:35 PM.

#12 Lotus

Lotus

Tech Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,930 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

The PM8 is one of the best markers Dye has ever made. It's better than the DM8 and a decent deal at $235. It's only drawback is ribbon eyes, but unless you're an idiot it's not a factor. There's also the smaller firing chamber, but people have been doing tophat mods to their DMs for years to reduce the size of the firing chamber to what the PM8 has stock, so depending on your viewpoint it's good or bad. It's just a tradeoff. Put a reach trigger on the PM8 and rock it. A stock PM8 with a reach trigger is still top level. The DMs haven't changed that much, and the PM8 has one advantage even over current DM models: it still has eye covers and real detents for better on-the-field maintenance.

There is a trick to DMs to make them shoot reliably and consistently. Some people tune their DMs so perfectly that they turn their markers into finicky puffers. They'll puff whenever it gets cold, or if its gone without lube for a day, or something stupid. If you want a reliable, consistent marker, here's what you do: Put your dwell to the stock 17 and turn your LPR to zero. Slowly turn your LPR up until it starts shooting. When the LPR is just enough to get your marker to cycle every time and shoot over the chrono with reasonable consistency, leave it, then change your dwell to 25 (YES 25!) and you're done. Remember the Matrix series have a bolt tail with two o-rings that seal the firing chamber so if your bolt stays forward too long, the only significant loss is in max ROF. There are minor losses in efficiency and smoothness, but the consistency is worth it.

Posted Image

#13 dertydood

dertydood

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

PM8's a good choice, but I hate the proto hyper 3 reg with the new DYE style threads. It tends to unscrew too easily and doesn't provide a thick enough foregrip for my taste. If you get the Dye Hyper 3 instead of the Proto one, it might help alleviate this problem. Don't take just my word for it, because this is all my personal preference.
Swap my Ego 11 parts! OG green for white, black, silver etc.... http://www.techpb.co...1

My feedback- http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=217960-

#14 kuzy

kuzy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:40 PM

Ahh awesome. Thanks allot guys for the info. It sounds like the PM8 is a pretty damn good gun for the price.

So i have narrowed it down to two guns:

PM8 with new planet eclipse barrel---235$

EGO 10--550$ its has for upgrades:

"lpr says zick2 and so does the rammer" (not really sure what the means lol)
new trigger frame that has the violent skyth trigger on it.
the case comes with the manual, the old frame, a brand new thing of lube, as well as a brand new spare parts kit for it"

I love how the ego looks and I assume it out performs the PM8 but by how much. Worth the price difference? However the ego 10 dose come with a parts kit case lube and allen keys. All of which I would need to buy If i got the pm8. HMMMMMMM :D

#15 510waffles

510waffles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

the ego10 is loud and kicky.
id save my money and get the pm8

the upgrades mean nothing btw

#16 Pump Player

Pump Player

Voted techpb's #1 sloth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • Location:Lutz fl, blitzkrieg paintball, orbital paintball, central Florida paintball

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

i say PM8 so you can get upgrades if you want with all the money you saved :)

2011 proto rail + Pinokio! --- http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=222130

#17 dertydood

dertydood

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

The ego 10 is great! It's not loud or kicky IMO. The zick 2 rammer drives the bolt and cushions the reciprocating mass of the marker, making it smoother. The lpr is completely different than the rammer, and is a second stage for the air to be regulated into a lower pressure after it has passed through the high pressure regulator. I believe that there are no major aftermarket parts for this, so it's probably stock.

Here's how I would break it down:

If you want a spool valve (less efficiency, requires regular lubing, slightly heavier, smoother/quieter shot,) get the dm8/pm8
If you want a poppit valve marker, get the ego 10 ( more efficient, louder, requires less maintanence, less general problems, lighter)

Edited by dertydood, 16 November 2012 - 03:48 PM.

Swap my Ego 11 parts! OG green for white, black, silver etc.... http://www.techpb.co...1

My feedback- http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=217960-

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users