Photo

Shopping online vs Shopping at your Local Pro Shop

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Poll: Shopping online vs Shopping at your Local Pro Shop (40 member(s) have cast votes)

Where do you prefer to shop for your paintball gear?

1. I buy Online (20 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. I buy from the Local Pro Shop (20 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Kirko017

Kirko017

Say no to drugs!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:18 AM

This is not really so much about paintballs as a lot of fields are field paint only. This is mostly when it comes to your equipment.

Most fields I have been to and know of have a Pro Shop, and I know there are some Pro Shop Store Fronts not associated with a field. So I am curious what do you play speedball or woodsball and do you buy your equipment from a Pro Shop or do you resort to the internet for your equipment purchases.

The poll is just there, but I would really like to hear your comments, thoughts, and experiences of buying from Local Pro Shops and/or the Internet. Which do you prefer and Why?

Kent State University Paintball Club
The University of Akron Paintball Club

Eminence

#2 obft

obft

Bringing Sexy Back

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:57 AM

I've really come to like my proshop. They fixed up my Marq for just the cost of the parts used. If they hadn't gotten to my gun, I don't think it'd ever have gotten fixed.

So I prefer the proshop, but will tend to use online stores for convenience(especially since my proshop is half an hour away and not by a field).

#3 REDCOBRA

REDCOBRA

wow such paintball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:17 AM

My philosophy is that you should always try to buy local. Buying local keeps local paintball going. my city is lucky enough to have 4 pro shops all of which have a good variety of speedball and woodsball. When I am buying something regular price I will always buy from one of them , especially the smaller one of the 4 ,which happens to also be the best IMO. The smallest one always has what I need and want, the employees are the most helpful, They have the best selection and the tech there is a marker fixing genius and I also like that they are a smaller company but they dont jack up prices just because of it.

If I find something for a REALLY good price I will buy online but I will always look at local places before.

Posted Image

#4 CdTriX

CdTriX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:41 AM

I'm into non-mainstream markers.. shoot a clone/vice/shocker/autocockers

parts for my markers are hard to find and local proshops don't carry them :( and I'm in Canada.

#5 Jarz

Jarz

Workin' that post count back up...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,917 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:18 AM

I always try to buy local first. Also, it helps when I want a new gun, because he'll let you "cash in" guns you bought from him for a new one from the shop. Though he doesn't carry all the brands around, my pro-shop stocks good brands like Empire and Eclipse, along with a few other companies for masks and other things. If I can't find it there, or he doesn't want to order it because he won't make anything on it, I'll buy online.
Posted Image

#6 darthp

darthp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:28 AM

The pro shop owned by the field i usually play at closed down a few years ago, but the field it still open. I usually buy online just because it's simple and there's no tax, but there's a decent pro shop about an hour away. Got my E-vents there. :)
FEEDBACK +10

"Inspiration, by it's definition, comes very quickly." - Jack Wood

#7 ImpulseTECH

ImpulseTECH

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

I have to say that i am kind of mixed in this poll. I voted proshop merely because they are gonna be there for me if i need something. Sometimes they dont have what i want or cant order it so im forced to buy online. Ansgear seems to be my online provider but for everything else its plaistow army navy store in nh.

#8 Ezekiel06

Ezekiel06

YEAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

I use the proshop for little extra things like a speed feed, pods, 12g Co2, O-rings and other misc. items. For larger purchases such as markers, masks, and what not I tend to look online mainly because of the more options that are available such as color and styles.

Christian Ballers Club.

"Don't let your past stop you from enjoying your future." True words of wisdom.

Feedback +10/-0

#9 recklessbob

recklessbob

Welts Don't Wipe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:25 PM

I personally shop online because I dont have alot of money and my pro shop is pretty small so theirs prices arent all that good.

sounds like wayne brady is gonna have to choke a bitch.

AXE F/S/T: http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=217311
68/4500-
http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=215637

#10 madsnipes

madsnipes

CARNAGE 3!!!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,055 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

i buy most common things from proshops

ex. masks, pants, podpacks, tanks, hoppers

and i buy used guns and hard to find items online

Edited by madsnipes, 22 November 2012 - 03:19 PM.

#11 Vlocityfan104

Vlocityfan104

:O la gasp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

i try to shop at local stores but when they charge me 60 bucks for a dye oring kit it kinda makes me meh D: and the 2 local stores dont have a huge inventory so i cant always get what i want

#12 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:31 PM

I mostly shop online because my proshop is very small and the guy that works there is sort of crazy

#13 TROOSKILL

TROOSKILL

That Kid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

I mostly buy stuff from a pro shop because they sell there items cheaper than online.

#14 junits15

junits15

And now I am become death, destroyer of worlds

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:26 PM

I like to buy online because my pros hop isn't too amazing really.

Now don't get me wrong Boston paintball is a great place and they commissioned some great things (reflex cocker kit) but their prices are really really high and they almost never have what I want. They have good fields and stuff but when it comes time to buy things I like to buy from ans.
Posted Image
Borg you will NEVER be forgotten.
TECHPB FEEDBACK IOG FEEDBACK
I bought an Ion.... in hindsight it was a bit of an Impulse buy

#15 Panda's Revenge

Panda's Revenge

Officially Sponsored by China Ball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:34 PM

I only buy online when the proshop does not stock it and cannot special order.
Proshop guys are awesome, they know what they're doing and will give you the correct information, with minimal bullshit.

#16 akt22

akt22

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

I use to support my shop until they implied they didn't like me coming in to talk because I didn't buy a marker directly from them (I bought other things from them though). Now I only buy when it is more convient for me.

#17 crPaliza

crPaliza

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

I don't have the luxury of pro shops where I'm from. If I did I would definitely do pro-shop because you can actually try out something before you purchase it.

#18 Sydarm

Sydarm

XTC + Ninja + Pinokio

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

I don't have the luxury of pro shops where I'm from. If I did I would definitely do pro-shop because you can actually try out something before you purchase it.

Only proshop near me really sucks. I have little choice but to shop online.

#19 Paintballingdrummer

Paintballingdrummer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:41 PM

I buy at my local shop because, although it may be cheaper online, the proshop is also a field. If money is not put into local fields they will go out of business and i will have no place to play at. The field also helps me if i have any problems with my gun or gear right in the shop, this something that you cannot buy online. Keep fields alive buy local.

#20 TacticlTwinkie

TacticlTwinkie

*insert witty title*

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,974 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:24 PM

I always buy from my proshop if I can help it. They carry a pretty wide selection, and will order something from the manufacturer if they don't have what I want I'm stock. They get most stuff at the dealer price, so they still make money. Plus mine will match most big online store prices. No so much sale prices, but if let's say ANS marks a gun down $50 or something, they will price match it if you ask.

#21 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:37 PM

I try to buy local, but my proshop is like 45 minutes away, is very small, and pretty much only carries tacticool stuff, and if I want something that they don't have, they arder online and takes a week to get anyway.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#22 G4paintballer

G4paintballer

Gun/gear whore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,862 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:14 AM

I buy online because proshops are like 45 minutes away.
Current setup: WGP Trilogy, CCM S6, Ion Xe
Feedback 10/0/0

#23 HU Soldier

HU Soldier

Say Chesse!! your about to get Painted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:54 AM

I try to buy local but the owners of the one highly stocked proshop are assholes and i dont feel like driving 45 minutes to put up with the higher prices+gas cost+bullshit.

But the other 2 proshops that are witin 30 minutes dont have a great selection of anything but i try to buy from them when they have what im looking for.

#24 sameagol26

sameagol26

I am BTDeltafan101

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

The only thing I honestly go to my proshop for these days is Paint and air... Other then that, their prices are way to high, and they have next to no selection... I do a lot of my buying online on sites like Pbnation, Ansgear and paintballgear.ca the odd time.
Posted Image
My Youtube Channel --> BTDeltafan101

#25 untaimed_deciples_2162

untaimed_deciples_2162

tengo choro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

lucky for me i live 15 min away from ANS so my proshop is pretty awesome XD and criticalpaintball is like 10 min away as well so between those 2 im pretty set :D
my name is unt aimed as in i dont aim i sparay and pray like choro

#26 dmullpaintball

dmullpaintball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:35 PM

Typically I've ordered from the internet. Where I play they do have a shop but they don't carry higher end equipment. They sell few higher end pieces but not to my liking. I would love to support them by buying their gear, even if it was at a higher price. But they dont have what I need to help advance my game.

#27 TJO

TJO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:40 PM

I buy local whenever possible. my field owner has great deals for the locals/team players

#28 SAHeatpb

SAHeatpb

Yeah let's go with this

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:37 PM

I prefer buying at my local pro shop so that way I could get a hand to hand fell with whatever I'm buying. But unfortunately I buy online because of awesome deals and my pro shop can be overpriced at times. So this is a hard question to answer but I would go with pro shop.

#29 Cossak11

Cossak11

That guy who blasts Celtic rock when he enters the field.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:50 AM

I would love to say local, but alas since there is not a local pro-shop where I am, I buy everything online.
We deal in paint friend.

Commander 11th Michigan paintball volunteers AKA The Obsidian Knights

#30 sonicx059

sonicx059

Killer of Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

Originally I shopped at only one pro shop and feared purchasing online.

After my first purchase on the B/S/T thread here I was sucked into purchasing used and online goods.

Although once my local field's pro shop was up and working and their deals are so much cheaper then purchasing online I decided to just stick with them and have the field order my "Special" items.

Plus being around them makes me feel like i'm part of the family.

Hell, getting new BNIB profits for under $70 bucks is worth the wait.

602420_508306232582957_760957084_n.jpg

#31 NPpballer

NPpballer

I'm Rick James, BITCH!

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:46 PM

I don't really buy a lot of new equipment. I've purchased 2 guns new and that was through a local proshop.

#32 ContractKiller11

ContractKiller11

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

When you get a $1250 Brand new GEO 2.1, and a 68/45 for $1100 I think you'll go to your local shop :D
Guns- DM8, Karnivore, BT-4, EGO 6, NightCast, Ion Fully Uped, Geo 2.1

#33 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

jerseys, pants, and gloves at proshops. Everything else online.

#34 Corey Benson

Corey Benson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

Typically I've ordered from the internet. Where I play they do have a shop but they don't carry higher end equipment. They sell few higher end pieces but not to my liking. I would love to support them by buying their gear, even if it was at a higher price. But they dont have what I need to help advance my game.

Have you asked them to order things? I buy from one of the 3 local pro shops for multiple reasons:

1. MAPS: Most of the time, Manufacturers are incredibly proficient at making sure I'm paying the same price for something no matter where I buy it... Online or in my local shop.
2. Try before I buy: My preferred shop is incredibly excellent about making sure I have the opportunity to actually shoot my next marker before I buy it.
3. Lifetime warranty on any marker I buy. VERY COOL!
4. Coupon book provided with most major purchases: VERY cool! Buy a marker? Get 10% off your Hopper, 20% off soft goods, $10 of a tank, and three free entry passes for friends to come join you. There are more coupons in there, I just can't remember them! LOL
5. If I don't support my local shop, eventually, they won't exist.
6. I haven't found a single item that I want/need that they can't get.
7. They know WAY MORE than I do about what will help me hit the next level of my game. So far, they've been honest and fair with me, even to the point of telling me about a used marker available from another customer. Yes, my favorite pro shop has it's own BST thing going on. :-)

and last, but not least... they're HILARIOUS! I get more abuse from them than any other shop where I spend money... but it's the good kind of abuse. Case in point:

Me: Hey, guys! I'm thinking about buying a new pants/jersey combo. What would you suggest?
Them: Uh... why? You're already decked out.
Me: None of my camo actually matches, and I was thinking about going Blacks instead.
Them: And that'll improve your game... how?
Me: Oh, I don't know if it will... (voice trails off into uncertainty...)
Them: Still using that A5 that breaks every time you use it? Between the upgrades you want to make to it, and the pants/jersey combo you were just looking at, do you realize you could have a new Etha? Heck, you'd SAVE money doing that... and that would make you a better player than new clothes.

Bought the Etha. It's MUCH better than the A5 was, and I've become a MUCH more aggressive player now that I'm getting the hang of it. I had 7 confirmed kills in 3 hours of play last Saturday... now, for many of you, that's not that big a deal. For my style of play, that's HUGE!!!! I often come home not having personally taken anyone out, but having assisted on multiple kills, because I tend to be the guy holding 1-4 people behind a bunker while one of my teammates goes for the kill. I was more mobile, have been having more fun, etc.

All because of some really good advice at my pro shop. FYI: They make much more profit on the soft goods and accessories I was considering than they do on a marker, so technically, they lost money.

That's my 2 cents. Buy local!

Corey
Corey Benson, aka Lazarous
Rec baller
Two Planet Eclipse Etha's
Two Tippmann A5's
And a soon-to-be-smaller pile of cheap mechanical markers.

#35 AceComets

AceComets

Low-Ball Extraordinaire

• Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,582 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

I shop online because I have 2 feels within a 2 hr drive of me. Neither of them have "proshops" and the "better" of the two fields is full of jackasses so I never play there, and they're only Tippmann and Valken dealers, neither of which I have a whole lot of interest in other then the soft goods Valken has.

But the smaller field can get us deals through ANSgear and other places but he's so small time he just can't afford to big orders and he doesn't like us pre-paying for things cause he's just so busy and doesn't know when he'll have time to do a big order

I love the guy and he's awesome but if I need something I'd rather not deal with yet another company/person/people in between. buying online is easiest for me.

And it's nothing personal to the smaller field but I don't have time to drive 30 minutes to buy stuff that he probably won't have in stock. He'd rather have the help prepping the field and doing work on the field then me spending my money so he can make $9 on something I want

I will fucking cut you AceComets, I will cut you like....paper with......scissors?

Ace's Feedback Ace's Mod App

#36 Kirko017

Kirko017

Say no to drugs!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:13 PM

Thanks for the information guys! Really helped. Obviously the big issue is Proshops not having items or if they do they charge too much and you're driving this distance to them as well. And there are exceptions, some said they get better deals through them which is good. For those of you who do shop online instead of through the proshop.

I guess I have some more questions.

Does your proshop sell anything through a website/online store? And if they don't, Would you shop at your local proshop's website if they had the items in stock over a bigger online site? And if they have an online store, is it horrible and why?
For those of you who do shop at your proshop, would them having an online site interest you?

Kent State University Paintball Club
The University of Akron Paintball Club

Eminence

#37 Panda's Revenge

Panda's Revenge

Officially Sponsored by China Ball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:09 AM

They used to have an online shop IIRC, although that was closed down due to the price to keep it up and the little revenue they were making from the site itself.
I wouldn't shop there if it was still up though, because it really isn't that far, only about 15-30 minute drive to it. I would appreciate a larger stock, although for a store in the middle of a city which mainly surfs instead of paintball, they have a high stock.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users