• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:56 AM

I am around 5 feet, 14 years old, and haven't gone through a growth spurt yet. This means that i will still grow taller (my parents aren't short). In most videos i have seen, the person puts the back of the tank around their shoulder/ armpit/ collar bone area. I plan on purchasing the ninja 68 4500 which is the same length as my current 48 3000 so i can use the 48 3000 to help me decide if the 68 4500 is too long or not. The 48 3000 feels long when i put the butt of the tank against my shoulder but if i "cradle" it, it feels good. However, i have never seen any player "cradle" their tank in their elbow. Why is this? If i get the 68 4500, i will eventually grow longer arms(hopefully in the next year or two) so that i will be able to put it against my shoulder. Would cradling be so unacceptable that i should just get a 50 4500 instead? I would honestly prefer the 68 4500 due to the fact of the greater capacity and me eventually growing longer arms.

#2 canscom

canscom

Lest we forget the soldiers. who saved our country

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:36 AM

Do whatever works for you if its comfortable and works use it dont worry about what other players think or say
Stop worrying about how you look, and start worrying about how you play. Get out on the field and play paintball the best you can, not stand at home in front of a mirror trying to figure out if your jersey matches your eyes.

#3 obft

obft

Bringing Sexy Back

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:43 AM

I'd imagine cradling it would get awkward depending on what angle you're trying to shoot at, but hey, if it works for you, then use it. I'd get the 68 now so you don't have to worry about trying to trade for one later. If the length becomes a problem, then you can always buy a drop forward.

#4 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:46 AM

ok ya i think the 68 will work in the long run because now it will be a little awkward but ill grow into it quick. Thanks for your help.

#5 REDCOBRA

REDCOBRA

wow such paintball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:49 AM

How the pro's do it:
-hold the barrel in my middle with your left hand
-put your right pinky on the trigger and hold your feedneck with the other fingers.
-put the tank midway under your armpit

:dodgy:

Just do whatever feels good to you

Posted Image

#6 The Inflicted

The Inflicted

⊥ɥǝ Iuɟl!ɔʇǝp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

The correct way to hold a paintball gun is with the feedneck pointed upwards so that paint can move downwards from the loader into the gun.
It is also recommended that the barrel be pointed at what you're shooting at.

#7 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:03 PM

Thats actually wrong. You have to account for earth's gravity.

#8 Kirko017

Kirko017

Say no to drugs!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

I am 5'9. I can use my Ninja 68/4500 just fine. But I still prefer the 50/4500 Ninja I have unless I am playing back center and shooting so much paint during one point I need the 68. The 50 is just so much tighter and comfy for me. I am going to recommend the 50/4500 for you. You're only 5 foot. It will probably take you another two years to realistically actually grow into that 68 if you do ever get taller. That is a lot of time believe it or not.. I would get the 50, learn to hold your marker properly and learn to play like that so when you get a 68 in a couple years you have your form down from working on it over the upcoming years.

If your field doesn't do all day air or something weird and you can't fill your tank regularly, look into a GA 68/4500. They are a little shorter than a Ninja 68/4500. I am actually about to buy a GA 68/4500 to replace my Ninja 68 for that reason, shorter and way more comfy for me to hold my gun and play tight and I am 5'9 dude. I still say get the 50 though.

Edited by Kirko017, 23 November 2012 - 01:59 PM.

Kent State University Paintball Club
The University of Akron Paintball Club

Eminence

#9 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:26 PM

I'm 5' 5" and my ninja 68/45 is very comfortable for me. Try different tank sizes if possible but the 50/45 will likely be best for you, considering your size.
Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#10 AndrewH

AndrewH

3L1Te M3Mb3|2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

Here is Oliver Lang's take on it. It still comes down to your preference.

#11 HU Soldier

HU Soldier

Say Chesse!! your about to get Painted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:49 AM

you could always put a drop forward on it if its too long i guess

#12 tatersinmytummy

tatersinmytummy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

I'm 16 and 5'3", been in your shoes man. I've got a 50, and it fits my perfectly. I'd get a 50 if your gun has a rail on it, so you can pull it forward or back depending on how it feels. or empire makes a new 56 that would be a good compromise.

#13 junits15

junits15

And now I am become death, destroyer of worlds

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

I say try to get used to holding it the "correct" way, just because it will reinforce good habits. The reason players do that is because it keeps the gun more stable and takes less load off your "gripping" hand allowing you to walk. It's a bit hard to walk if the weight of the gun is coming down on your hand.

Once you grow you'll find it more natural to press it onto yourself like that.
Posted Image
Borg you will NEVER be forgotten.
TECHPB FEEDBACK IOG FEEDBACK
I bought an Ion.... in hindsight it was a bit of an Impulse buy

#14 TerranRanger

TerranRanger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

I am around 5 feet, 14 years old, and haven't gone through a growth spurt yet. This means that i will still grow taller (my parents aren't short). In most videos i have seen, the person puts the back of the tank around their shoulder/ armpit/ collar bone area. I plan on purchasing the ninja 68 4500 which is the same length as my current 48 3000 so i can use the 48 3000 to help me decide if the 68 4500 is too long or not. The 48 3000 feels long when i put the butt of the tank against my shoulder but if i "cradle" it, it feels good. However, i have never seen any player "cradle" their tank in their elbow. Why is this? If i get the 68 4500, i will eventually grow longer arms(hopefully in the next year or two) so that i will be able to put it against my shoulder. Would cradling be so unacceptable that i should just get a 50 4500 instead? I would honestly prefer the 68 4500 due to the fact of the greater capacity and me eventually growing longer arms.

I'm 5'11" and I use a 68/4500 tank. The thing I normally do to put myself at an advantage.. Is make sure the tank is tucked tight into your shoulder. I am Right handed, so I generally grab the foregrip with my left hand and get a good feel on. You should be able to tuck your elbow into your side, with your Tank against your shoulder. And it should be comfortable. I do switch my hand a few times too, weather I'm shooting lefty or righty. It gets the muscle memory in of where I should tuck the tank every time I am switching hands.

Sounded kinda confusing to say. Hope it's helpful.

#15 Pump Player

Pump Player

Voted techpb's #1 sloth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • Location:Lutz fl, blitzkrieg paintball, orbital paintball, central Florida paintball

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:32 AM

get a 45/4500, as 68/4500's are not the same length as 48/3000's, 45/4500's are

2011 proto rail + Pinokio! --- http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=222130

#16 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

the 68 4500 works well on me. I got it with my drone dx yesterday and it feels comfy.

#17 asthmaticrhino

asthmaticrhino

Skyrockets in flight! Beeewwww

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

I'm a big guy with long arms. I can use a 68/4500 comfortably, but i can also use a 50 and find it extremely comfy. I would think a 50/ 4500 would be a good idea for you. You could also get one of those empire 56/4500s, its in between.

Edited by asthmaticrhino, 02 December 2012 - 03:48 PM.

Protip. Buy a shovel. Dig and Pile REPEAT until desired effect is achieved. Builds upper body and character. Bitches love upper body and character.

#18 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

200lb of unpredictable coming to hunt ya ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

Actually I was scolded not to let my 48/3k slip from my shoulder by a one zack yachimec. So just find a tank that you can shoulder comfortably. The 48/3k tank is long is the reason for when I get my carbon tank it will be a 50/4.5k
gnUDL.png
See my about me for useful things like feedback!

#19 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

with the 68 4500 it would feel a little more comfortable if it was a tad bit shorter. On the drone the asa looks like it can slide forward a little. Is this true and if it is how would i get it to slide forward??

#20 tatersinmytummy

tatersinmytummy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:15 PM

with the 68 4500 it would feel a little more comfortable if it was a tad bit shorter. On the drone the asa looks like it can slide forward a little. Is this true and if it is how would i get it to slide forward??

it should slide forward, yes. there should be a set screw inside the grip frame, loosen it and slide the ASA forward, then tighten it.

#21 NBTIppy

NBTIppy

Sterling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:03 AM

I would get a 68/4500 but buy one with a short reg on it and then move my asa forward on the grip frame. If thats still not enough buy a rail for your asa and use it as a small drop forward

#22 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:16 AM

I would get a 68/4500 but buy one with a short reg on it and then move my asa forward on the grip frame. If thats still not enough buy a rail for your asa and use it as a small drop forward

I already bought the 68 4500 and i believe the drone dx has a small rail.

#23 tatersinmytummy

tatersinmytummy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:02 PM

if my $250 rail has a rail, so does your drone.

#24 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:38 PM

3 more days until i can shoot it!!!. since i have school i don't have time to go to the proshop until friday to fill my tank.
How do i make sure that the macroline stays tight and will i need to shorten it whhen i slide the rail forward?

Edited by marceldacs, 04 December 2012 - 10:40 PM.

#25 tatersinmytummy

tatersinmytummy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:26 PM

more days until i can shoot it!!!. since i have school i don't have time to go to the proshop until friday.
How do i make sure that the macroline stays tight and will i need to shorten it whhen i slide the rail forward?

I feel your excitement! You should have to do much, marcoline just kind of gets shoved into the fittings as tight as it will go. you shouldn't have to cut much if any, assuming your reg doesn't swivel. my rail's does, and I have it trimmed just right to a comfortable position. Just get another foot of macro on friday and mess with it a bit.

#26 Nokified

Nokified

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:34 PM

I borrowed and played a few rounds with my friend's 50ci and 90ci. I found out that compared with my 68ci, the bigger the tank is the more tiring it would be for me to hold the setup. Maybe I'm just not in the greatest shape but if you aren't a giant, then 50 or 68 shouldn't be that much of a difference.
Don't get too into what size, your body will just adjust to whatever AND the adrenaline from playing will get you going.

Shoulder the tank around your armpit.
If you're right handed, tilt the gun to the left and have the back of the gun pointing at your nose. Edit: unless you're snap shooting
Stand a bit sideways.
Generally got for a smaller profile making you harder to hit.

Edited by Nokified, 05 December 2012 - 05:47 PM.

#27 Pb player eh

Pb player eh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:51 AM

It's all up to you hold it as you want to and were its comfortable on your body and don't worry about what other people think :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users