6 replies to this topic

#1 `kook

`kook

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

Ok so I'm transferring out of community college after 2 and a half years and into a private university near by. I'm going to live on campus, the total student body is around 6000 but only about 500 live on campus. So in the years since high school I've lost pretty much all my friends to different things, and I'm absolutely awful at meeting people and i haven't met any since starting college years ago. I'm one of those people who's very reserved until I get to know someone. I want to use this as an opportunity to come out of my shell.

So my options are to live in the true on campus housing or to live in off campus (across the street) campus owned houses and apartments.

The on campus dorms are very old, been there since the 40's and they have 12 double rooms each and the large majority of people in them are true freshmen. I've been to them and they aren't at all bad, just dated and full of 18 year olds, which is alright I guess. I visited one time and they were kind of annoying after a while. The biggest upside is that the RA of one of the dorms is a friend from highschool and one of the coolest guys I've ever met. He's my age (almost 21) and knows the campus in and out. He said he could definitely get me into his building, and very possibly into his room since he has an open bed. The dorms are also in the middle of campus so I'd always be in the middle of whats happening

The off campus housing is obviously newer, nicer and the rules are more relaxed. They're across the street from the school so there's no commute. They're for upperclassmen and house less people typically 8-10. For this option I'd have to fill out a roommate match paper and I'd possibly be placed with other transfers, which I'd actually prefer compared to people who have been there a while, but there isn't a guarantee. However I'd be with strangers and past evidence doesn't really bode well for me in that situation, but it also means I'd have more opportunity to come out of my shell

So anyways, just wondering what you guys think I should do. Any advice, especially from people who have transferred shcools before is really appreciated
It's all about the game and how you play it, All about control and if you can take it
All about your debt and if you can pay it, It's all about pain and who's gonna make it

#2 rockout918

rockout918

Forum Storyteller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

I say go for the off-campus housing. It will put you out of your comfort zone.

My one regret in college is that I didn't spend enough time making friends. Big ol' campuses will swallow you up if you don't try to make connections with people. You'll just feel like you're lost in an ocean and hate it. The only commitment you have in life is school (and work I'm guessing). So, don't hesitate on stepping out of your comfort zone.

Also, that added bit of freedom that the off-campus housing offers is a plus. You lose nothing by moving from the center of campus to across the street from campus.

Good luck, kook.

Edited by rockout918, 29 November 2012 - 09:12 PM.

CLICK for more stories on my Tumblr When in doubt google it! UCR class of 2011. http://www.youtube.com/user/RockOut918
Haters gonna hate; Ponies gonna pwn

#3 WiscoBaller

WiscoBaller

Master Member

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:39 PM

^Nope, you want the dorms. Imagine a bunch of people who don't know each other in one area for the first time in their lives. That is a dorm. there is no better way to make friends than to take the dorm route, and leave the doors open. Open door means people look in while walking by, stop in , talk to you, and you make friends.

University of Wisconsin Whitewater Paintball Club
Sponsored by KEE, H2 Paintball, Empire
The Hooligans Paintball Team
Bob Long Victory Ripper Dye Rotor Dye Throttle 70/4500
Bob Long Ripper FST

#4 `kook

`kook

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:43 AM

I should have been more specific about the living areas. The dorms aren't like traditional hotel style dorms. There's a common room that you enter into through a front door, and then the rooms are connected to it. The front door leads to outside to a small park area so people wont really be walking past your door unless they're in your building and in that case you'll always see them in the common room. Think of it as a 10 room apartment. There are hotel style dorms, but the entire building is girls. The male to female ratio is 1:5 so guys get the short end of the stick when it comes to on campus housing. Too outnumbered

The houses are all adjacent and all the backyards have had the fences removed, it's one giant back yard. As far as I know, the only rules they're more lax about here is visiting hours for the opposite sex. In the dorms on week nights visiting hours are over at 10 and midnight on the weekends. Off campus, visiting hours are midnight weeknights and 2am weekends

There's also off campus apartment, they're just like regular apartments and they're the newest and nicest.

Edited by `kook, 30 November 2012 - 12:45 AM.

It's all about the game and how you play it, All about control and if you can take it
All about your debt and if you can pay it, It's all about pain and who's gonna make it

#5 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,109 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

^Nope, you want the dorms. Imagine a bunch of people who don't know each other in one area for the first time in their lives. That is a dorm. there is no better way to make friends than to take the dorm route, and leave the doors open. Open door means people look in while walking by, stop in , talk to you, and you make friends.

yup! everyone will be the same situation you are, everyone will be happy to meet people and make friends. the dorms are a great time.

plus you will be able to smash mad 18 year old ass all day and all night

Edited by cockerpunk, 30 November 2012 - 04:07 PM.

The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

#6 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

Agreed with CP and Wisco.
I'm in a similar situation living in the dorms in the military and have met several people by just going down to the dayroom and watching TV. Plenty of opportunity for socialization doing that.
And if you have days where you simply don't want to deal with anyone, you can just scurry off to your room and tune most everyone out.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#7 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

yup! everyone will be the same situation you are, everyone will be happy to meet people and make friends. the dorms are a great time.

plus you will be able to smash mad 18 year old ass all day and all night

this this this.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users