16 replies to this topic

#1 TECHDP=)

TECHDP=)

I'm never online anymore.

• Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:23 AM

I recently joined football as a sophomore in high school. Although the season is over, the team still works out. I am 6'3 250lb. I do not want to drop too much weight because I need it :P but I want to lower my body fat and gain more muscle. What should I be eating so that I have enough energy to keep me going but doesn't harm my body. Also what are good workouts to do outside of school on my own, I do have a gym membership as well.
-DP

#2 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

Lower carbs, raise protein.
Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#3 Globemasta III

Globemasta III

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

Lower carbs, raise protein.

OFWGKTA

#4 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • 11,496 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

protein should be about 50% of your meals
30% should be veggies
20% fiber & healthy fats (avacado)

#5 TECHDP=)

TECHDP=)

• Players Club
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:37 PM

Lots of chicken!
Good thing I'm not picky with food.
Thanks for the input guys.

#6 Kirko017

Kirko017

Say no to drugs!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:14 AM

I recently joined football as a sophomore in high school. Although the season is over, the team still works out. I am 6'3 250lb. I do not want to drop too much weight because I need it :P but I want to lower my body fat and gain more muscle. What should I be eating so that I have enough energy to keep me going but doesn't harm my body. Also what are good workouts to do outside of school on my own, I do have a gym membership as well.
-DP

I would be worried about building muscle and strength the most right now in the off season... You're a big dude, make sure you are eating well. Then when your team starts conditioning in spring/summer just eat less, and lose some fat then. Then you can eat more during the season so you have plenty of energy during your practices and games..
Squats, Lunges, Calf raises, Flat Incline and Close-grip bench presses, Shoulder Press, Deadlifts, and Tbar Rows are some good exercises for you to do

Edited by Kirko017, 01 December 2012 - 07:15 AM.

Kent State University Paintball Club
The University of Akron Paintball Club

Eminence

#7 TECHDP=)

TECHDP=)

• Players Club
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

Thanks man :tup:

#8 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • 11,496 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:29 PM

also check out the "paleo diet", it's a great diet and works great for the crossfitters

I try to follow it - it's a very simple, very nutritious way to eat

Lean meats - fish, pork, steak, chicken, etc
fresh veggies - steamed broccli, asparagas, salads, etc
healthy fats - bacon, avacado, etc
healthy nuts - almonds

basically getting away from processed, boxed junk garbage that's packed full of chemicals, preservatives and other additives, and getting back towards healthy foods you cook for yourself. Lots of videos on Youtube, it's a very effective nutrition plan to follow

#9 TECHDP=)

TECHDP=)

• Players Club
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:02 PM

Woah woah woah? Bacon

#10 Kirko017

Kirko017

Say no to drugs!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:36 PM

also check out the "paleo diet", it's a great diet and works great for the crossfitters

I try to follow it - it's a very simple, very nutritious way to eat

Lean meats - fish, pork, steak, chicken, etc
fresh veggies - steamed broccli, asparagas, salads, etc
healthy fats - bacon, avacado, etc
healthy nuts - almonds

basically getting away from processed, boxed junk garbage that's packed full of chemicals, preservatives and other additives, and getting back towards healthy foods you cook for yourself. Lots of videos on Youtube, it's a very effective nutrition plan to follow

Woah woah woah? Bacon

Olive oil is a good easy source of fats as well that you can put on just about anything or cook a lot of your lean meats with to help you get in some healthy fats for the day.
But yeah bacon includes healthy fats. But with that, it's loaded with calories because of the fat, so you shouldn't eat a whole plate even though it is very tempting :)

Eminence

#11 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • 11,496 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:24 AM

%^^^ very true

and with bacon, the most important thing is to go to a butcher, and get the FRESH, unprocessed, unsalted, unsmoked stuff

You want unprocessed bacon, anything that's been cured (packed full of salt), smoked (paced full of chemical preservatives and chemical flavoring), or processed (packed full of nasty preservatives) is NOT real bacon

Get your bacon from a butcher, not from the supermarket. It's the same price, tastes ALOT better, and much better for you.

Once you start eating real, unprocessed bacon, you'll quickly start disliking the supermarket junk. It'll taste overprocessed, over salted and over seasoned compared to the real stuff.

Also, a good way to cook it is to put it on a baking sheet, and cook at 400'ish degrees for about 15 to 20 minutes. 425 degree will make it crispy, 375 will make it chewy, depending on how you like it.

#12 shutts67

shutts67

Score is Irrevelant.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,580 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

%^^^ very true

and with bacon, the most important thing is to go to a butcher, and get the FRESH, unprocessed, unsalted, unsmoked stuff

You want unprocessed bacon, anything that's been cured (packed full of salt), smoked (paced full of chemical preservatives and chemical flavoring), or processed (packed full of nasty preservatives) is NOT real bacon

Get your bacon from a butcher, not from the supermarket. It's the same price, tastes ALOT better, and much better for you.

Once you start eating real, unprocessed bacon, you'll quickly start disliking the supermarket junk. It'll taste overprocessed, over salted and over seasoned compared to the real stuff.

Also, a good way to cook it is to put it on a baking sheet, and cook at 400'ish degrees for about 15 to 20 minutes. 425 degree will make it crispy, 375 will make it chewy, depending on how you like it.

WOAH WOAH WOAH!!! If it hasn't been cured or smoked, it's pork belly. Nothing wrong with pork belly, it just isn't bacon.

#13 btu shortie

btu shortie

im a BAMF thats BTU

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

Start running!!!

Youll stay in shape, lose body fat, and its the best thing you can do!! Run and get a good weight workout routine going and you'll be fine!!
Posted Image

#14 stuff21397

stuff21397

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

Your body surprisingly needs 3 times as many proteins as it does carbs (sugars specifically). This is so because your liver is what metabolizes food and body tissue if need be. When working out or depriving yourself of stored energy, you body will go straight to metabolizing muscle tissue because it is already a protein so it is the easiest to turn into energy (in the for of ATP). Your liver uses sugars to create ATP to help drive muscles. This means that taking in some thing that has 3 times as many carbohydrates as proteins IMMEDIATELY after working out can be very beneficial. I went from squatting 200 (max) to 305(max) over a period of 3 months. I started bench pressing at 135 (max) and now I can press 230 (max). The only issue with this is I had to take in the substance literally within 5 mins of stopping my work out. If your looking to loose weight at the same time what I did was I decreased my calorie intake and i mixed in cardio that really got your heart racing. The best cardio work out for any football player is jump roping. And as a football player you should not worry too much about your weight but more so about your % of fat versus your % of muscle mass. I started of my freshman football season at 190, i now weigh 230 so it worked for me but everyone is different so you'll have to find out what works best for you.

Edited by stuff21397, 02 January 2013 - 04:01 PM.

#15 TECHDP=)

TECHDP=)

• Players Club
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

Thanks man. Really good advice

#16 Kirko017

Kirko017

Say no to drugs!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

Your body surprisingly needs 3 times as many proteins as it does carbs (sugars specifically). This is so because your liver is what metabolizes food and body tissue if need be. When working out or depriving yourself of stored energy, you body will go straight to metabolizing muscle tissue because it is already a protein so it is the easiest to turn into energy (in the for of ATP). Your liver uses sugars to create ATP to help drive muscles. This means that taking in some thing that has 3 times as many carbohydrates as proteins IMMEDIATELY after working out can be very beneficial. I went from squatting 200 (max) to 305(max) over a period of 3 months. I started bench pressing at 135 (max) and now I can press 230 (max). The only issue with this is I had to take in the substance literally within 5 mins of stopping my work out. If your looking to loose weight at the same time what I did was I decreased my calorie intake and i mixed in cardio that really got your heart racing. The best cardio work out for any football player is jump roping. And as a football player you should not worry too much about your weight but more so about your % of fat versus your % of muscle mass. I started of my freshman football season at 190, i now weigh 230 so it worked for me but everyone is different so you'll have to find out what works best for you.

If you're going to take anything immediately after you are done working out, you should be taking in BCAAs or a Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Isolate. And you should not be having any carbs for at least a half hour to an hour afterwards... You are not depleting your glycogen stores from a weight lifting work out as opposed to running or playing soccer. A lot of people take sucrose with creatine after working out. But if you are having carbs after working out, you just wasting the potential of your work out basically. When you workout your growth hormone output is peaking until about 20-30mins after you are done working out. And as soon as you eat those carbs you just killed your growth hormone level. Runners are not too concerned with building big muscles, and allowing their growth hormone levels to peak isn't that important as compared to replenishing their glycogen because they are not a body builder. You want to take BCAAs or Hydrolyzed Whey Isolate enters your blood stream quicker than a regular whey isolate that takes 20-30mins to enter.

Also want to add in, you do not need carbs to survive. Your body only needs proteins and fats. Your body actually creates its own sugar from amino acids which is why we can live without eating a single carb.

And you contradicted yourself.. You said your body needs 3 times more protein than carbs then you said you should take in 3 times more carbs than protein... Then You said your liver uses sugars to create ATP right after you said your body will use the protein from your muscles to form ATP because it is easiest to turn into energy. So if you're saying protein is easiest to turn into ATP, why are you wanting to consume sugar(carbs) after your workout? And why are you saying your liver uses sugars to create ATP after saying it forms from protein?

Your body is continually supplying energy to keep yourself alive, that is why you are burning thousands of calories a day. You're still breathing after your workout right :P

Your body doesn't actually store ATP, it is synthesised and then consumed and recycled thousands of times a day. Your body does this in different ways.. One way is when creatine phosphate is used to restore the levels of ATP by converting ADP back into ATP using it's own phosphate bond. And that's what is happening when you lift weights. That is why body builders use creatine supplements to supply the muscle with more energy. But a lot of them are taking the creatine supplements immediately after their workouts with dextrose(simple sugar/carb). Which doesn't make any sense to me as their workout is over. What do you need more energy for. Your body is still going to recycle ATP, it does that regardless all day. You need to take the creatine and carbs preworkout for the energy to intensify your workout. Then afterwards while your growth hormone levels are elevated getting your BCAAs and protein as soon as possible to start recovery and utilize their elevated growth hormone levels the most. Not consuming carbs and killing it.

Now if you are exercising for more than around two minutes like marathon running or rowing, the aerobic system will take over and the muscles will be supplied with ATP firstly from carbs, then fats, and then amino acids(protein). ATP is produced at the slowest rate through aerobic respiration and enough energy can be produced to sustain a person for several hours running or exercising. Unless you are starving yourself or on a big calorie deficit your body will not start eating away at your muscles. So if you are doing cardiovascular exercises for an extended time, then get your carbs in afterwards to replenish your glycogen.

That's some good gains though. Keep it up and you'll be doing sets of your own weight in no time, my freshman year I was benching sets of like 75lbs and weighed like 135lbs lol I was definitely a small fry

Edited by Kirko017, 04 January 2013 - 11:12 AM.

Eminence

#17 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

I like kirkos idea of loosing fat when you start conditioning. I've been very active and ran everyday during the summer and gained/lost nothing. In 2 months of football I lost an incredible amount of fat while eating crap all the time.

As far as workouts go, I like free weights over machines. Machines are great for getting big, but free weights work all your muscles for better strength. Why do you think NFL and Collage teams practice with weighted sleds and what not? It's more natural and gives natural strength.

For endurance, interval running works amazing. I dropped my mile time by 4 mins in a little over 1 month of interval running. Ever hear of couch to 5k, couch to 10k etc.? They use interval running and have great reviews.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users