12 replies to this topic

#1 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

I had this amazing family vacation planned. We were going to drive up from Tampa to West Virginia to see my Grandmother, my dad and my uncle (my dad's side of the family is from West Virginia).

We left Friday to head up to Stone Mountain GA. Everything was going good. We stayed in Stone Mountain for a couple days, and Jenn and I started to feel under the weather. We felt like we were coming down with something.

We drove up to the Greenbriar Resort in West Virginia on Sunday night. At this point, Jenn was running a fever. So she stayed in the hotel and slept, while I entertained the girls. Monday Jenn was feeling a little better, so she got up. On Tuesday when it was about time to checkout, I got blasted with the flu and could barely move.

So Tuesday afternoon, I loaded up on Tylenol and made the drive to Fairmont. From Tuesday night till Thursday night, I could barely move from the bed. 104 fever, just laid out.

Friday morning we left my grandmother's house and drove as far as we could drive. We stopped in Charleston and I dropped everyone off at the hotel and I went to the local hospital. I had two severely infected ears, so they gave me antibiotics and sent me out. Saturday Jenn & I were in terrible shape, so we stopped in Savannah GA. By Sunday I knew I was in serious trouble and so was Jenn.

We arranged a sitter to be waiting for us when we arrived in Tampa, and Jenn & I went to a walk-in clinic. They took a look at us and said "We've got good news, we've got bad news. The good news? Jenn has strep & bronchitis. The bad news? Mike has pneumonia, and needs to go to the hospital to be admitted ASAP"

So Jenn dropped me off at Brandon Regional where I spent two nights & three days getting treatment for pneumonia.

Jenn suffered 10 pounds of muscle loss, I suffered 14 pounds of muscle loss. How fucked up is that? Out of all that starvation, we didn't lose a single ounce of fat, we lost ALL muscle (I have an OMRON Fat Analyzer that tells you exactly your body fat percentage, etc).

Easily the sickest Jenn & I have ever been in our lives, this fucking sucks

/endrant

#2 TK-421

TK-421

Me So Horny! :D

• 25,919 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:08 PM

Wow, that really, really sucks. But at least I hope you two are starting to feel better. Now you need to convince Jenn to hit the gym with you, so you both can gain back the muscle you lost.

#3 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

Every time I visit WV i always get sick too. It must be that cold mountain air.
Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#4 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

Every time I visit WV i always get sick too. It must be that cold mountain air.

in hindsight, it appears we caught the sicknesses from Georgia @ Stone Mountain

But who knows, this was just a horror all the way around

#5 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,919 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

Hopefully you didn't spread it around to other people. Last time we had a big family gathering, mom came in sick, got my little brother sick, got my grandma sick, got my grandpa sick, got my brother sick, and got me sick. Older brother, myself, and grandpa were all sick at the same time. It was coming from both ends at the same time, and there were only two bathrooms in the house. It was an interesting week.

#6 TECHDP=)

TECHDP=)

I'm never online anymore.

• Players Club
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

Whaaaa??
How do you lose muscle but not fat from starvation. I thought when you are starving your body takes the fat first then muscle. 😶

Edited by TECHDP=), 30 November 2012 - 07:19 PM.

#7 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:27 PM

when you are starving your body takes the fat first then muscle. 😶

#8 Blade of grass

Blade of grass

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

Whaaaa??
How do you lose muscle but not fat from starvation. I thought when you are starving your body takes the fat first then muscle. 😶

Nope.

Like when your working out and you go for 2 hours and don't eat a thing, your body takes energy from your muscle.

all my legos are stored at my parents hose... so that wont be happening....

48fhih.png

#9 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,919 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

I think muscle is easier for the body to process than fat, so it eats up the muscle before it eats the fat.

#10 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:24 PM

Whaaaa??

absolutely not

I've learned the lesson, over and over and over again

When you starve yourself, the FIRST thing the body eats is muscle. It's just goes to town on your muscle fibers. You don't even have to starve to go "catabolic" as some people call it, just end up being short on protein intake. That's MORE than enough to watch your body start dissolving muscle for energy

Many years ago, when I was getting ready to have my physical for my life insurance policy when my daughters were born (I was taking out a 20 year term, 1 million dollar policy to protect my wife and daughters in the event of my death), I needed to drop below 200 pounds. I stopped eating protein, and started only eating veggies and drinking water for 2 months. My body first dissolved my muscle fibers, THEN it started working on the fat long after I had practicaly any muscle left to dissolve. I would say the ratio was about 3 to 1 - I lost 3 pounds of muscle for every pound of fat I loss.

I got my weight down to about 194, I could barely do 3 pushups. I got the "preferred rate" and I went back on a normal diet and it took about 6 months to start getting a decent amount of muscle back on my frame.

This is why, when body builders go on a severe "cutting diet", they crank up the amount of protein they eat to protect their muscle from the damaging effects of starvation. Body LOVES to digest muscle first, muscle second, muscle third.... then maybe a little bit of fat when there is no muscle left to digest

nasty nasty stuff

#11 TECHDP=)

TECHDP=)

I'm never online anymore.

• Players Club
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

Wow!
That explains everything! 😅😂😂😂😭😂😂😂

#12 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

TechPB's Resident Angry Veteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:15 AM

your body will only burn fat when it needs long term energy as fat isnt just an energy source, its also an insulator... your body will sacrifice muscle before fat, its a natural defense against the elements...
Shocktech Aftershock SFL team cocker, serial number 1
Mini Orracle pump, Eclipse internals, Sanchez Machine pump kit and grip frame
Mossberg 500 ZMB

OSG Paintball biggest and best field in NH... show them some love

"I wish I had 2000 feet. So i could shove 500 of them up each of your asses!!!!" Red Foreman

#13 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:29 PM

Wow!
That explains everything! 😅😂😂😂😭😂😂😂

Yes, this is why, regardless of everything and anything you eat in your diet. If you care about fitness, you're diet should be about 50% protein

And when you get sick, and you can barely eat, the FIRST thing you should eat is protein, then anything else afterwards

Oatmeal, carbs, bread, all this other shit doesn't help you one bit.

You know what saved my ass when I could barely get out of bed? I went to Cracker Barrel, and ordered a plate of grilled trout. Healthy protein and fat, completely saved my ass and got me from Thursday to Friday

I always knew that protein was important, fucking hell after this experience, it was REALLY pounded into my head how important protein is to your diet.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users