21 replies to this topic

#1 turkey357

turkey357

im Turkalicious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:02 AM

Okay, well first off, it is good to be posting a little bit more on the forum again. It has been a long(ish) time. That being said, let's get to the actual topic.

So I am not 21 so I can not legally purchase a handgun under my name, Nor can I legally purchase any firearm for that matter (I'm under 18). However, I do enjoy shooting and am no stranger to it, so please don't let my age take away your interest to this thread. My mom recently expressed interest in buying 1-2 firearms for self defense/home defense/target shooting-fun. She originally planned on surprising my dad and I, but did not know how to go about purchasing a firearm. So she asked me to do some research. I'd say the budget is under $600 (preferably in the 500's) per gun.

I don't know much specifics about guns (I said I was no stranger to shooting, but not in detail about the different guns). All I really know is that we would probably want a 9mm, maybe a Glock 19 or G17? My mom is also interested in concealed carry. This gun is not just for her however they are intended for family use/practice as well. I do know that to get the best results we would need to go to a gun store and actually handle the firearms themselves and we should shoot them too. However, I don't want to go in there with nothing in mind. To put it short, I'm posting this thread in hopes that some of you on here with experience with firearms could point me in the right direction and maybe give me some good first time buy suggestions.
Posted Image
are you a Musician? Join the club! click this to get there!--->Musicians Club Here!

#2 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

TechPB's Resident Angry Veteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:07 AM

for that budget, Springfield XD in the caliber of your choice... i prefer .45acp, but for a first time hand gun owner you might want to look into 9mm or 357SIG...
Shocktech Aftershock SFL team cocker, serial number 1
Mini Orracle pump, Eclipse internals, Sanchez Machine pump kit and grip frame
Mossberg 500 ZMB

OSG Paintball biggest and best field in NH... show them some love

"I wish I had 2000 feet. So i could shove 500 of them up each of your asses!!!!" Red Foreman

#3 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

for that budget, Springfield XD in the caliber of your choice... i prefer .45acp, but for a first time hand gun owner you might want to look into 9mm or 357SIG...

hit the nail on the head

#4 Spider200081

Spider200081

Member-608 Spartans Dubuque, IA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:59 AM

I definitely like the suggestion of the Springfield XD's. Otherwise another one I personally like in that price range is the Smith & Wesson M&P line. I love how they have pistols from .22-.45 all using the exact same frame. I find that they fit my hands extremely well, great to shoot. And I can grab the .22, shoot it, then go to .40 and other than recoil the feel of shot and everything is just the same. Go to your local gun dealer and hold them both. Then you can choose based on how it feels in your hands.

#5 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:12 AM

if the M&P works for you then ask for it... i personally dont trust anything smith and wesson... their quality has gone downhill over the years
Mossberg 500 ZMB

"I wish I had 2000 feet. So i could shove 500 of them up each of your asses!!!!" Red Foreman

#6 CRU

CRU

Rhinoceruses don't wear shirts

• Retired Staff
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:52 AM

I own and carry a glock 23 (40 cal.) every day. The fact of the matter, is that you will be happy with most firearms that are made by a major brand name manufacturer. By major brand name, I'm referring to Glock, Springfield, Smith and Wesson, Taurus, Beretta and Heckler & Koch.

The only exception to that would be The Smith and Wesson Sigma. Don't but them they're junk.

The biggest concern is, when you purchase a firearm for self defense, when you pull the trigger, the gun needs to go bang. After that it is all just personal preference.

#7 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

Since you live in "Commie-fornia", before you buy any handgun, check the laws of not only your state but your local area. They may have laws limiting capacity, size, caliber, etc. there.

Next, see if you have a gun range in your area that rents out handguns and try a few out.
I was really wanting a Glock 19 for a while until I actually shot one. I didn't care for how they felt at all. They did however have a Remington R1 in .45, a Walther PPS in 9mm, a Sig P232 in .380, and a Taurus .357 revolver that I really enjoyed shooting. In fact, my first handgun will be a 4" S&W 686+ due to my experience with the Taurus revolver and the .357 Magnum (not to be confused with the .357 Sig OEF mentioned). So I definitely recommend you try before you buy, or at the very least, hold it in your hands first.

Also, don't try to bog yourself down with calibers too much. Even a .22lr will stop a guy with proper placement and/or enough bullets inside him (Though I wouldn't recommend it). Find one you're capable of shooting well and often and stick with it. The key to being effective with a firearm in a defensive situation is your familiarity and experience with your firearm. If, for whatever reason, you can't go out there and practice with your gun, it'll be nothing more than an expensive noise-maker in a defensive situation, much like this at 1:25 :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0ZvgRJz6Bo

Another thing you want to take note is, for a concealed carry gun, lighter and smaller is not always better, especially for larger calibers. Typically, the smaller and lighter the gun is, the more difficult it is to shoot. Even "mouse" guns like the Ruger LCP are a pain in the ass despite only shooting a .380 ACP. That's because they sacrifice ergonomics and "shootability" for better concealment. What you want in a concealed carry gun is a balance in size, weight, ergonomics, and "shootability". If your carry gun is lacking in any of these elements, you may have a difficult time defending yourself. For concealed carry, I'm personally looking at the Walther PPS, and the Sig P232, because, as I mentioned before, they work for me.

Edited by Antonious, 02 December 2012 - 12:39 PM.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#8 slinkyaroo

slinkyaroo

Yes, I'm old. Yes, I'm cranky.

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

What better way of saying I love you then with a firearm.

#9 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

hand guns are all about fit and comfort... i personally cant shoot a glock... even with proper hand position i get slide bite with glocks... find what frame fits you the best and go with it... caliber is personal preference as well... i like .45acp... but remember this, in a fire fight, or defense situation, the more hits you can score on target the more likely they are to die... more hits with a 9mm will be more effective at stopping your target then 1 or 2 hits with a .45 (non vital areas of course)... .40SW is a good compromise between the 2, but i still prefer .45acp... with a modern hand gun you can fit 14 rounds of .45 in a mag... more then enough to take out multiple targets....
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#10 TK-421

TK-421

Me So Horny! :D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,896 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

Need to go to a gun store, or a gun range that rents firearms, and figure out what fits you best. Kind of silly to go "I want X firearm", and then buy it, shoot it, and find out you hate it and that it doesn't fit you at all. Like has been said above, you'll be fine with basically any major manufacturer, just find one that you like and pick it.

Me personally, I've got a Glock 23, in .40 S&W, sitting underneath my bed as we speak. So far it's my first and only handgun, but I'll be getting a ton more once I can afford to. I picked the .40 S&W because I wanted more stopping power than a 9mm, and more capacity than a .45. That, coupled with the fact that I don't think I could easily conceal a full sized handgun, and a sub-compact is too small to be comfortable for me, meant I needed a compact sized handgun. So I went with the Glock 23. Never looked back.

#11 GeezusPB

GeezusPB

Stud Muffin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:34 PM

I am asking for a Springfield XDM 9mm 4.5" barrel for Christmas.. I tested it out at the range and instantly fell in love. The .45 cal would too expensive for me shooting twice a week or so, and the 4.5" barrel is perfect size.

#12 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:23 PM

wallmart used to sell remington umj .45acp is 250 round boxes for 80 bucks... thats what i used to feed my XD45... not a bad price for range ammo
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#13 WeAre138

WeAre138

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:50 PM

You really need to go to a range and try out a bunch of handguns before making a decision. I can list off a page off good affordable 9mm handguns, but it really comes down to what your family is comfortable shooting. Try as many different styles and calibers as you can get your hands on. If no ranges in your area do rentals this could be difficult. Good luck, and be safe.

I personally prefer the feel of Da/Sa semiauto's but its preference.

Edited by WeAre138, 02 December 2012 - 02:54 PM.

#14 SOUP

SOUP

Uber Member

• Members
  • 7,667 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

I recently got a Colt .45 Defender Compact. Nothing like shooting .45 through such a tiny gun. When I get my licenses to carry I'll probably be carrying that gun actually. I much prefer the .45 to the 9mm. However, a 9mm will get the job done in most circumstances, the .45 is just more assuring.

"Silence is a plus, violence is a must"-Tupac

---Indiana Baller---

#15 recklessbob

recklessbob

Welts Don't Wipe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

personally i shoot a Taurus PT-101 .40 sw. great gun

Edited by recklessbob, 04 December 2012 - 01:13 PM.

sounds like wayne brady is gonna have to choke a bitch.

AXE F/S/T: http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=217311
68/4500-
http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=215637

#16 WiscoBaller

WiscoBaller

Master Member

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

Own a Sig Sauer SP2022 in 9MM, great handgun for $449, also impressed with the glocks, for 9mm you have 17(large frame) 19(medium) and 26(concealed/subcompact) Keep in mind most police forces carry Glock 23 in 40 S&W as 9mm has a tendancy to penetrate through a person and continue into what is behind it, where .40 tends to stay in the target.

University of Wisconsin Whitewater Paintball Club
Sponsored by KEE, H2 Paintball, Empire
The Hooligans Paintball Team
Bob Long Victory Ripper Dye Rotor Dye Throttle 70/4500
Bob Long Ripper FST

#17 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • 11,496 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

I absolutely LOVE my Glock 19

Has never, ever jammed, I love the 9mm round because it's manageable and gives a wicked accurate follow-up shot. 9mm is cheap, recoil is VERY manageable, and it's a NATO round so in a true "shit hittin the fan" scenario, you can get 9mm anywhere in the world.

#1 thing for a home defense gun, is a flashlight on it. You don't want to accidentally put a hot one through a son/daughter who came home late. Being able to actually SEE your target is extremely important.

I'm not a big fan of tons of external safeties and other buttons, switches and other trinkets on the gun that you have to slide, click, or press to get the gun to fire. Glock fits the bill perfectly for me on this, grab it, point it, pull the trigger... boom

Also, don't underestimate the power of CS Gas aka Mace. Nasty, nasty stuff that will disable any attacker if you just spray in the general direction

#18 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

Life's too short to drive boring cars

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:13 PM

I don't really know a lot about guns but if I were to get a gun it would be a old-ass M1911. :D
That or a Sturmgewehr 1944.(Just for shits n' giggles.)

#19 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:29 PM

I don't really know a lot about guns but if I were to get a gun it would be a old-ass M1911. :D
That or a Sturmgewehr 1944.(Just for shits n' giggles.)

There's plenty of no-frills 1911 clones out there that feel and function pretty much the same as the WWII models (save for a grip safety and other minor things). I myself was thinking about getting me a Rock Island 1911 for S&Gs.

As for the STG, good luck finding a one, let alone ammunition for it.
However, GSG now makes a pretty snazzy 22lr version of it.

Edited by Antonious, 05 December 2012 - 08:30 PM.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#20 bigx

bigx

Good? Bad? Im the guy with the gun.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,809 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

I am 17 and as of right now my favorite firearm is my 1911. I bought it off of my uncle and its under my dads name. Its a Colt Delta Elite in 10mm I am in love completely in love.

"I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you."

http://www.techpb.co...1 :Feedback 17/0/

#21 Corysllw

Corysllw

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

What about the Taurus 905? 9mm and it's around $500
Posted Image

#22 Irish725

Irish725

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:30 AM

Sub 600, best pistols in your price range, puts you at approximately the Smith and Wesson M&P price range, the Glock price range, and possibly the Springfield XD's if you can find a good deal.

Let me start by saying I am a HUGE Glock Fanboy. I have shot Glocks since I was young and they always felt right to me. For first time gun owners, it has its plus's and minuses.

Pros:

Stupid Simple to clean and take apart, literally has 4 moving parts in the action
Relatively inexpensive, come in a wide variety of calibers and sizes (for personal concealment or defense of the home)
Damn near fool proof, and very reliable. There is a reason 26 countries across the world use them as their main military/police handgun.

Cons:
There is no real weapon safety. They have a pressure trigger on the main trigger, that has to depressed before it will fire, so you really have to commit to pulling the trigger before it fires.
Mags are relatively expensive compared to some other companies.

I would recommend getting a Glock and just educating yourself on the use, I own a Glock in 40 caliber for my concealed carry piece (I have a full size Glock 22C), my wife carries a Glock 26 (9mm sub compact) in her purse when she goes out.

If you are dead set on getting a .45, check out Kimber Arms, sometimes you can get a really nice concealable pistol for cheap. They are much higher quality then Springfield XD's in my opinion. Only problem with anything based on a 1911, its gonna be a BITCH to clean and take apart.

Avoid Beretta's at all costs. Period.

M&P's are basically cheap Glock Knock offs, actions almost the same, but slightly cheaper feeling polymer used in its construction. They are nice for the price, but if you can afford better, get better.

Ever thought of looking at a wheel gun? I love my Smith and Wesson J Frame .357 magnum that I occasionally will carry in my car when I go out, and my wife has a Ruger LCR in 38 special for when she is out and about, since its so small she can easily conceal it.

IrishBanner2_zps537819c4.png

Veteran of Living Legends V and VI...looking forward to LL VII! 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users