8 replies to this topic

#1 Master_Chief

Master_Chief

All or Nothing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

What would be a pro/con of running a reg at hp or lp?

Why not?

-Derrick Rose

Square 1 Soldiers

#2 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

There are no Pros for hp.

A con of running hp is that the reg does not recharge when you get to the lower psi's in your tank so you cannot squeeze out the last of the air. Hp regs can also blow out the seals in G6R's.

The opposite is true for lp but not all markers work for lp. If you are looking to buy a new reg, but a Ninja adjustable reg.

#3 reepneep

reepneep

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

There are no Pros for hp.

A con of running hp is that the reg does not recharge when you get to the lower psi's in your tank so you cannot squeeze out the last of the air. Hp regs can also blow out the seals in G6R's.

The opposite is true for lp but not all markers work for lp. If you are looking to buy a new reg, buy a Ninja adjustable reg.

See this guy? Don't listen to this guy, he doesn't know what he's talking about.
Except for the part about the Ninja adjustable reg. Its a good one, though pricy, and if you want to keep the same tank but change guns a lot, its not a bad idea.

Think of it this way.
Category 1: Some guns need a high input pressure and will not work properly with a low one. (some older e-guns, almost all mechanical ones, every pump that takes a tank except maybe the Thumper and very low pressure cockers)
Category 2: Some guns will work at either high or low pressure. (the majority of guns with built-in regulators)
Category 3: Some guns will not work at a high input pressure and actually need a low pressure tank reg. (there aren't many of these. angels, newer bob long guns)

Nearly all guns will run correctly on a high pressure tank.
Only some guns run properly on low pressure.
Almost no guns actually need a low pressure tank.

The reason that most tanks sold today output at ~800psi? Almost all guns can use that output pressure.
You should only buy a low pressure tank reg if you know the gun you want to put it on won't work properly with a high pressure tank reg.

#4 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

I made it too general and didn't feel like typing a giant write up like you did, but my info (if I added more information) is correct so you don't have to be a snob about it.

Markers have a factory recommendation on what to set your reg pressure at (tank). All you really need to know is that if you go with the Ninja adjustable, you should be fine with almost every marker out there.

Category 1: Some guns need a high input pressure and will not work properly with a low one. (some older e-guns, almost all mechanical ones, every pump that takes a tank except maybe the Thumper and very low pressure cockers)

I run my cocker on lp and have shot numerous pumps with a slp tank and still work fine.

Edited by kingJurzy, 02 December 2012 - 05:39 PM.

#5 Pakistani

Pakistani

www.AliZaman.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

Unless a gun specifically states to use one or the other, just get high pressure.
as long as the tank puts out more than the guns operating pressure, it will work fine.

KPS Paintball VCU Rams Richmond Rage

If you need help with a Dye gun, PM me!

#6 XxJellyFilledxX

XxJellyFilledxX

Lead Farmer.

• Chat Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:52 PM

More than a few guns run on LP, as long as the requirement is met for the gun reg HP or LP makes no difference in most guns.

"You can't break a man the way you break a dog or a horse. The harder you beat a man, the taller he stands. To break a man's will, to break his spirit, you have to break his mind."

#7 reepneep

reepneep

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:24 PM

I made it too general and didn't feel like typing a giant write up like you did, but my info (if I added more information) is correct so you don't have to be a snob about it.

Markers have a factory recommendation on what to set your reg pressure at (tank). All you really need to know is that if you go with the Ninja adjustable, you should be fine with almost every marker out there.

I run my cocker on lp and have shot numerous pumps with a slp tank and still work fine.

Oh, sure, they'll cycle (most of them) and you may even be able to get them up to velocity, but your efficiency will suck.

Stock 2k, pre-2k and most after market valves work best at 300+ psi. There are a few that sweet spot in the 200s. CCI, AKA, I think the maddmann rocket valve does too. The latter should be fine with a LP tank. The former will end up with lousy efficiency and at high rof, shootdown.
The valve in your orracle is pretty high flow (assuming its stock). You can probably get it to cycle all the way down to 190~ psi. You'll have a crazy long dwell and terrible efficiency, but it'll cycle.

You really need a tank reg to output at at least 200 psi above the gun's ideal operating pressure. With LP tank regs outputting at 400-450 psi most of the time, you're basically stuck with modern electros if you want a gun that will be really happy with those pressures.

Regardless, unless you know you're going to be buying one of the few guns that wont' work with an HP tank, buy an HP tank. They just work with so many more guns there's no reason not to.

#8 Old Dude PB

Old Dude PB

Safety third.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

I own a bunch of guns, and I don't want to have to think about which tank to use on which gun. So all my tanks are HP.

#9 NBTIppy

NBTIppy

Sterling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:06 AM

Get an adjustable reg and run the recommended pressure for the gun you are using.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users