• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 rckt

rckt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

I am tired of using the rental masks, time to purchase a NON-FOGGING mask. From researching online, it appears the JT Proflex & vForce Grills/Profiler are good masks that don't fog. Guess, I am looking for opinions from the more experienced. Also, a plus would be a camo mask. Thanks.
Gene

PS. I figure this would be my 1st purchase.

Edited by rckt, 04 December 2012 - 07:48 PM.

#2 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

The proflex is a very good mask,and is very popular.However,the ear protection they have is not really great.People have even been sent to the hospital for ruptured eardrums.And,the flexible part at the bottom is very breathable,but the breathing holes are so large that,if you get shot in the mouth,pieces of paint shell will hit your lip and probably bust it a little.So,if you can stand getting shot in the ear and small pieces of paint on your lip,then yes,it is a great mask.
(no sarcasm intended)

#3 recklessbob

recklessbob

Welts Don't Wipe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:16 PM

flex is a good mask just have to be a man about it and shake it off lol. profilers are great too though i own 2 pairs.

sounds like wayne brady is gonna have to choke a bitch.

AXE F/S/T: http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=217311
68/4500-
http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=215637

#4 rckt

rckt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

The proflex is a very good mask,and is very popular.However,the ear protection they have is not really great.People have even been sent to the hospital for ruptured eardrums.And,the flexible part at the bottom is very breathable,but the breathing holes are so large that,if you get shot in the mouth,pieces of paint shell will hit your lip and probably bust it a little.So,if you can stand getting shot in the ear and small pieces of paint on your lip,then yes,it is a great mask.
(no sarcasm intended)

Excellent points. JT is out. What do you think of the vForce Grill vs Profiler? Thanks. I haven't been able to find the vForce in camo.

#5 Sydarm

Sydarm

XTC + Ninja + Pinokio

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

Profiler has better protection, easy change lens (as does Grillz), no soft ears (soft rubber mold extends to cover ears well). I personally use and love Profilers.

#6 Klub

Klub

i haz a pickle

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,844 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

I like proflexes the best. Never had a problem with getting shot in the ear, or getting my lip busted open.

Between the profilers and grills, I like the grills the best. They fit me better, and are more comfortable to me. Both masks are nice though.

#7 ContractKiller11

ContractKiller11

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

For your first mask I would go with the Profiler, you can't go wrong.. Or I'd look into getting the E-Flex, but the proflex.. The ear protection is shoddy and the lenses are a pain in the ass to change.
Guns- DM8, Karnivore, BT-4, EGO 6, NightCast, Ion Fully Uped, Geo 2.1

#8 rckt

rckt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

Profiler has better protection, easy change lens (as does Grillz), no soft ears (soft rubber mold extends to cover ears well). I personally use and love Profilers.

More good points. vforce Profiler, now to find camo, may be stuck with black. Thanks everyone for making valid points. One more question, how is the vforce profiler on fogging?

Edited by rckt, 04 December 2012 - 09:36 PM.

#9 bassfisher

bassfisher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:45 AM

I would recommend a proto switch FS.
Carolina Riot Scenario Team

#10 rckt

rckt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:48 AM

I like that one (ie camo), but reading the reviews it fogs. It seems like the vForce Profiler is best for NOT fogging. Thanks for your input.

#11 rckt

rckt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:33 AM

What about the JT Flex 8 camo? Is it a soft shell?

#12 Steephill

Steephill

Dota 2 > Life itself

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:13 AM

What about the JT Flex 8 camo? Is it a soft shell?

It's hard but not rock hard. It's not soft like the proflex but it's not hard like the rental masks. Honestly the proflex is fine, I've been shot 5 feet way straight shot to the bottom rubber and nothing cut/busted my lip. The majority of people that have used a flex love it in my experience.

My Feedback +14/-0

`kook 2/1/12 "The gold standard isn't what is most popular. By that logic, Justin Beiber is the gold standard of music."

#13 CdTriX

CdTriX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:05 AM

make sure you get the thermal dual lense with the profilers. Then they will never ever fog. the single pane thermals are great for the first couple of outings but once you get into the 5th or 6th day of play, it might start to wear off :(

I have both and I find the profilers comfortable. more so then my eflex or proflex.

#14 bassfisher

bassfisher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

I like that one (ie camo), but reading the reviews it fogs. It seems like the vForce Profiler is best for NOT fogging. Thanks for your input.

Mine never fogged.
Carolina Riot Scenario Team

#15 crPaliza

crPaliza

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

I have both the VForce Grill and Profiler.

The main advantage of the Profiler is its wider angle of view (larger lense) and the fact that it offers more protection than the Grill since the material built with it is harder and the design of it is also larger.

The Grill gives you a lower profile (sleeker look) and comes with tempo pads so the mask sits over your ears more comfortably. Another plus to the Grill is that you can take it completely apart including the foam pieces.

#16 rckt

rckt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

make sure you get the thermal dual lense with the profilers. Then they will never ever fog. the single pane thermals are great for the first couple of outings but once you get into the 5th or 6th day of play, it might start to wear off :(

I have both and I find the profilers comfortable. more so then my eflex or proflex.

I can't find thermal dual lense with the profilers, only the profilers thermal lens. Is the thermal the same as the dual thermal?

#17 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

I can't find thermal dual lense with the profilers, only the profilers thermal lens. Is the thermal the same as the dual thermal?

They are different. The Profiler mask will come with a single pane lense that is treated with an antifog chemical. This chemical works really well and the mask doesn't fog at all but it will wear off eventually. THe Dual pane thermal lense will have to be bought separate. If the chemical on the single pane lens wears off you could use fog doc which works well for me.

#18 Cp snekybever

Cp snekybever

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

i love my pro flex :wub:
SAN DIEGO BALLER

Seriously though...
I won't hate on them as much as everyone else on here has ,but the Luxe is more accident prone then Michael J. Fox playing a game of Operation.

#19 Nokified

Nokified

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:10 PM

I use the profiler. Tried the event on before but still prefer the profiler. Nothing bad about it. Good protection and nice material. Easy to change lens. I wear glasses so the lack of anything around the ears pressing down on the glasses makes it great. And to whoever was talking about the anti fog coming off - after about couple of plays it's best to spray more on or change the lens altogether due to wear. You can get additional lens for the profiler pretty cheap 20$ I think. Plus it's about 60$ and get a backup lens for 20$ runs you up to 80$. Not expensive for a first mask.

Camo or no camo it doesn't really matter in the woods. As long as you stay still or you can even put camo tape and poke the holes yourself.

#20 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

I use the profiler. Tried the event on before but still prefer the profiler. Nothing bad about it. Good protection and nice material. Easy to change lens. I wear glasses so the lack of anything around the ears pressing down on the glasses makes it great. And to whoever was talking about the anti fog coming off - after about couple of plays it's best to spray more on or change the lens altogether due to wear. You can get additional lens for the profiler pretty cheap 20$ I think. Plus it's about 60$ and get a backup lens for 20$ runs you up to 80$. Not expensive for a first mask.

Camo or no camo it doesn't really matter in the woods. As long as you stay still or you can even put camo tape and poke the holes yourself.

Don't just change the lense after a couple days of play. Do one of two things

1. Buy Fog Doc. I have it and it works really well.

2. Buy the thermal lense separately ~$25.

#21 Sydarm

Sydarm

XTC + Ninja + Pinokio

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

The Profilers and Grillz do NOT fog. Just don't wipe the coating off of the back of the single pane lenses (probably still what comes with the mask). Only use water on the back side unless absolutely necessary.

The dual pane lenses are now available and work just as well as any other dual pane lens. Buy them as your replacements.

Another note on the JT: it sucks to change and properly clean the lens (ie you got tons of paint inside, you cannot easily pop off the lens, clean it, and pop it back on in between games). Besides that, I still have a Flex as my other mask with no plans to replace it.

#22 rckt

rckt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:58 PM

Doesn't the Profiler come with a thermal lens? I like the idea of camo tape. Should I get tan, olive or black for woodsball? Thanks.

#23 G4paintballer

G4paintballer

Gun/gear whore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,862 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

Have you ever used a proflex before? I have been shot in the ear and mouth part and have never had a problem with either. And majority of masks when shot in the mouth part will have paint go through the venting. And you shouldn't have to get a different lense to prevent fogging ;) two years on the same lense in my proflex.
Current setup: WGP Trilogy, CCM S6, Ion Xe
Feedback 10/0/0

#24 Dakent

Dakent

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:03 PM

I have a pair of grillz. They are good but i love my i4's 100x more

Posted Image
Luxe 2.0 Dye 68/45 Rotor i4 Feedback 4/0/0

Gearbag Sale

#25 Nokified

Nokified

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

Doesn't the Profiler come with a thermal lens? I like the idea of camo tape. Should I get tan, olive or black for woodsball? Thanks.

I got the olive one. But it doesn't matter if you're gonna put tape on it right? Get the cheapest one.
Bought one from http://www.redcellpaintball.com/ for 50$
Tape http://www.ansgear.c...camotapeacu.htm
Or another http://www.ansgear.c...pecamogreen.htm

#26 recklessbob

recklessbob

Welts Don't Wipe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:32 PM

buy these now!! http://www.ansgear.c...kseterrapat.htm

68/4500-

#27 Nokified

Nokified

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:20 PM

WOW
That's a steal! 50$?

#28 rckt

rckt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:36 PM

I never heard of Empire. Do they fog?

#29 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:54 AM

I never heard of Empire. Do they fog?

No they don't fog and they are very good masks. The Events are a little older but i prefer the look of the eflexes. Never tried the eflexes but they look more comfortable. I have a profiler, have used it 3 times, and it doesn't fog. The anti fog coating doesn't wear off as some people make you think. Once it does just replace the lens for 25 dollars and there ya go, you now have a great mask that offers good ear protection.

#30 Pakistani

Pakistani

www.AliZaman.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:13 AM

just out of curiousity, why are you looking at masks that are close to being a decade old?

You have so many great choices of masks, i dont see why you would go for ones that are relatively old.

check out the sly profits, e-flex's, i4's, grillz, or e-vents. all of those are super comfortable, very durable, and all come with high quality lenses stock.

KPS Paintball VCU Rams Richmond Rage

If you need help with a Dye gun, PM me!

#31 rckt

rckt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:19 AM

The Sly Annex masks are cheap. Reading the reviews some complain they fog. The only masks I read that don't fog is the JT Proflex and vForce Profiler/Grillz. I just wish the vforce had a camo version like Sly Profits.

#32 G4paintballer

G4paintballer

Gun/gear whore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,862 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:09 AM

To me, profilers are really uncomfortable.
Current setup: WGP Trilogy, CCM S6, Ion Xe
Feedback 10/0/0

#33 Wolfe

Wolfe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

Profilers are great. I've worn several masks and these fit the best. They never fog and switching lenses is very easy. Best all around mask in my opinion. I4's are sweet too, but too small for my big melon.

#34 rckt

rckt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:09 PM

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your comments. I have decided on the vforce profiler, just have to pick tan w/ olive or olive/black color. And where to buy it? Thinking ANSgear?

#35 recreationalpb

recreationalpb

Member Title

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:40 PM

Please don't get the proflex. Is it comfy ohhh yes. Is it light ohhh yes. Is it breathable ohhh yes. Am I honestly scared everytime I play with mine and would never loan it out to a friend because I don't want to be responsible for them getting blasted in the ear ohhh yes. That being said I cant speak for the profilers, but another that i do think is nice is the proto axis. Just my 2 cents

#36 recklessbob

recklessbob

Welts Don't Wipe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

ansgear is good go with them

68/4500-

#37 rckt

rckt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

Please don't get the proflex. Is it comfy ohhh yes. Is it light ohhh yes. Is it breathable ohhh yes. Am I honestly scared everytime I play with mine and would never loan it out to a friend because I don't want to be responsible for them getting blasted in the ear ohhh yes. That being said I cant speak for the profilers, but another that i do think is nice is the proto axis. Just my 2 cents

Change of plan, I checked out the Proto Axis at a local store and like it better than the Profiler. I didn't realize that the Profiler does not have the thermal lens. Thanks for the suggestion.

#38 Eskimo

Eskimo

Member #: 666 ( Seriously )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:43 PM

My top suggestions for masks go

Grills
E-Vents
Profilers

(depending on price needed)

all three are awesome masks, i find they fit the broadest sizes of heads and offer balanced protection.
a mask like the proflex is superior in breathablity and weight, but offers less protection. so I'd only suggest it to a player who has enough playing time to understand what he is losing in protection.
the proto pro axis are awesome by all standards, thats also why they are 100$, you pay for what you get

Edited by Eskimo, 07 December 2012 - 08:44 PM.

Citrus Connection
Proudly Partnered With: PBL, TechPB, Pinokio Hoppers, HK·Army

#39 Steephill

Steephill

Dota 2 > Life itself

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:21 AM

You shouldnt really worry. I've played with mine for 2 years and havent had a problem. I even have the old style ears that are pretty thin.

My Feedback +14/-0

`kook 2/1/12 "The gold standard isn't what is most popular. By that logic, Justin Beiber is the gold standard of music."

#40 recreationalpb

recreationalpb

Member Title

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:02 PM

You shouldnt really worry. I've played with mine for 2 years and havent had a problem. I even have the old style ears that are pretty thin.

I know but ive heard the stories and all it takes is that one ball to really make you not "have nice day." I dont worry to the point where i wont wear them but im just always careful to make sure they are twisted down over my ears and not in some random spot

#41 Eskimo

Eskimo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

I like the proflex but I HATE the ear protection, seriously lacking.
the E-flex fix's this.

Or getting a proflex with the hard plastic ears from a lower JT model is a easy fix. and it works great.

Citrus Connection

#42 rckt

rckt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:21 PM

Conclusion: I just wanted to thank everyone who posted their comments and kept it civil. I originally was heading for the Profilers, didn't like the soft ears of the Proflex or small size of the I4. I was close to the Proto FS Switch but it felt too tight. Then I tried on a JT Spectra Flex 8, a thermal lens and comfortable. The only negative is my ear lobes can be visible slightly. Overall it is very comfortable. Next purchase will be a sandana to cover the head and neck. Also, a good pair of gloves with back of hand protection, as the back of my hands got hit from 5 ft away, took weeks to heal. Thanks again.
Semper Fi.

#43 Steephill

Steephill

Dota 2 > Life itself

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:35 AM

Great choice, in the end it's really all about what the buyer feels fits them best! Have fun playing Posted Image

My Feedback +14/-0

#44 Eskimo

Eskimo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

great choice, the flex 8 has a really cool design to it.

Edited by Eskimo, 12 December 2012 - 11:48 AM.

Citrus Connection

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users