• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:23 PM

I am going to be shooting my drone dx for the first time on saturday. Unfortunately, i don't have a chronograph nor pressure tester so i will have to chrono by sight if i can. I live in illinois where it is about 30-40 degrees right now. The factory dwell setting is 8ms, how much should i raise it to account for the fact that it is cold and that the drone is new. Maybe 1 or 2?? Also is there anything terribly wrong with shooting "hot" or slow because i do not have a chrono.

#2 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:26 PM

I am going to be shooting my drone dx for the first time on saturday. Unfortunately, i don't have a chronograph nor pressure tester so i will have to chrono by sight if i can. I live in illinois where it is about 30-40 degrees right now. The factory dwell setting is 8ms, how much should i raise it to account for the fact that it is cold and that the drone is new. Maybe 1 or 2?? Also is there anything terribly wrong with shooting "hot" or slow because i do not have a chrono.

Shooting hot will increase the potential for injuries.

Sue the field where you go for not having a chrono and not enforcing the rule.

#3 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:36 PM

Shooting hot will increase the potential for injuries.

Sue the field where you go for not having a chrono and not enforcing the rule.

No no no no no. I am just shooting in my backyard. Im not going to be able to play for 3 weeks since i have to save money. All my fields have chronos its just that i want to test out my gun before i play. I won't be shooting at people just a piece of wood i have lying around.

#4 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

Also when i reinstall my drive train, in which position does the bolt have to be? Forward, or back. Also does the orientation of the valve matter at all?

#5 cybermaniac15

cybermaniac15

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,450 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:16 PM

Don't mess with the settings unless you are having problems. Just make sure you lube it very lighty. The bolt can be either forward or back.

Edited by cybermaniac15, 04 December 2012 - 11:16 PM.

#6 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:45 PM

Don't mess with the settings unless you are having problems. Just make sure you lube it very lighty. The bolt can be either forward or back.

How about chronoing. I am NOT shooting at a field against people. I am shooting against a target just to test out my new gun. Since i don't have a chrono, and therefore will probably be shooting too slow or too hot, will this hurt my gun or cause breaks if i am shooting too hot or slow?

#7 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:47 PM

How about chronoing. I am NOT shooting at a field against people. I am shooting against a target just to test out my new gun. Since i don't have a chrono, and therefore will probably be shooting too slow or too hot, will this hurt my gun or cause breaks if i am shooting too hot or slow?

Shooting too hot will cause gradual damage if you keep it at the fps (let's say 375) faster than it will at 290 fps.

#8 madsnipes

madsnipes

CARNAGE 3!!!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,055 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:52 PM

you should be fine, and if you just bought the gun dont worry about tuning it for now. just play paintball and have fun

#9 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:53 PM

Shooting too hot will cause gradual damage if you keep it at the fps (let's say 375) faster than it will at 290 fps.

so could perhaps starting at a higher velocity and then gradually turning it down so that it still cycles be something i can do?? Because then it would be at the lowest velocity and still cycle plus i heard the drone will sometimes stop cycling at lower velocities like low 200s. This will help me get to a mid 200 range. I think. I will probably end up raising the dwell from 8 to 10 anyways because air isn't a big concern for me.

THank you for your help. I really appreciate it. i just don't want to be excited and then when i try to shoot it it doesn't work.

Edited by marceldacs, 04 December 2012 - 11:56 PM.

#10 madsnipes

madsnipes

CARNAGE 3!!!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,055 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:56 PM

so could perhaps starting at a higher velocity and then gradually turning it down so that it still cycles be something i can do?? Because then it would be at the lowest velocity and still cycle plus i heard the drone will sometimes stop cycling at lower velocities like low 200s. This will help me get to a mid 200 range. I think. I will probably end up raising the dwell from 8 to 10 anyways because air isn't a big concern for me.

THank you for your help. I really appreciate it. i just don't want to be excited and then when i try to shoot it it doesn't work.

leave it stock and you won't have to worry about it not shooting.

#11 Pakistani

Pakistani

www.AliZaman.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:37 AM

leave it at stock settings.. I used my drone during some VERY cold NCPA tournaments(frozen puddles of water on the field) and my drone shot great stock all day.
also, DONT MESS WITH THE SETTINGS. and lastly, DONT FUCK WITH THE SETTINGS.

Edited by Pakistani, 05 December 2012 - 12:39 AM.

KPS Paintball VCU Rams Richmond Rage

If you need help with a Dye gun, PM me!

#12 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:46 PM

How about shooting too hot or low in my backyard against targets. WIll it lead to a lot of breaks? Since i don't have a chrono i don't know what to do.

#13 asthmaticrhino

asthmaticrhino

Skyrockets in flight! Beeewwww

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:23 PM

How about shooting too hot or low in my backyard against targets. WIll it lead to a lot of breaks? Since i don't have a chrono i don't know what to do.

Most guns I've seen have been set to a reasonable speed out of the box. All the guns I've gotten chrono in the range of 280-230 before I even touch anything. Leave it stock, u definitely won't break or mess up anything if you do. Paintball guns can take more than you are giving them credit for. I doubt you will break paint just shooting a couple pods in your backyard, and if you wanted to try to prevent that, overbore. Other than that leave it how it is, it will be fine

Protip. Buy a shovel. Dig and Pile REPEAT until desired effect is achieved. Builds upper body and character. Bitches love upper body and character.

#14 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:04 PM

Just to let you guys know how everything turned out. I went to my local proshop to fill my tank and called them before hand to make sure that they were open. When I called them, i also asked if they chronoed. They did chrono guns and they did at no charge so that was really nice. Btw the tank fills were $3 for any size. I have no idea how that compares to other proshops. I brought my tanks and drone dx home and shot about 5 balls through it. It shot really well in my opinion. Had kick but it was super smooth and relatively quiet. But then of again my previous gun was a jackhammer ear deafing A5. I had to go do something and when i came back i loaded a couple balls. ( I don't have a hopper yet). I pulled the trigger and it made this really weird noise and nothing came out of the barrel. I pulled the trigger again and then two balls shot out at once. Thankfully they didn't break. This was a result of First Shot Drop Off. I was shooting in my garage (about 40-50 degrees). I was actually freaking out a little so i went to my manual, raised the dwell one ms, and raised the Anti bolt stick. I shot one ball, waited 10 minutes, and then shot another and it worked perfectly. I really don't care about efficiency because i will never be shooting that many pods anyways so raising the dwell will help me. Overall i am very content with my decision. The drone shoots smooth like butter. People say that the drone has a quiet sharp/ tight noise but for me it as a "looser" noise if you know what i mean.

#15 madsnipes

madsnipes

CARNAGE 3!!!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,055 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:09 PM

good to hear that you are satisfied with your drone Posted Image

#16 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

Its having a lot more problems today. 1/2 of the shots will be drop off. It isn't just the first shot. I have been slowing working up my dwell from 8 and am now at 12. I believe the highest it goes is 16. The Anti bolt stick is currently set at 6 opposed to the stock setting of 4ms.
What should i do??
Also when it happens, the balls don't roll out so could underboring be a cause?? The stock barrel is .689 but i am using old paint.

Edited by marceldacs, 08 December 2012 - 02:13 PM.

#17 Pakistani

Pakistani

www.AliZaman.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

told you not to mess with the settings...

KPS Paintball VCU Rams Richmond Rage

If you need help with a Dye gun, PM me!

#18 asthmaticrhino

asthmaticrhino

Skyrockets in flight! Beeewwww

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:02 PM

Its having a lot more problems today. 1/2 of the shots will be drop off. It isn't just the first shot. I have been slowing working up my dwell from 8 and am now at 12. I believe the highest it goes is 16. The Anti bolt stick is currently set at 6 opposed to the stock setting of 4ms.
What should i do??
Also when it happens, the balls don't roll out so could underboring be a cause?? The stock barrel is .689 but i am using old paint.

I would relube the bolt system, before messing with the settings. Out of curiosity, what did you chrono at? I think the cold is the main factor here than anything. You might want to just set the settings back to stock, relube the bolt and try again.

Protip. Buy a shovel. Dig and Pile REPEAT until desired effect is achieved. Builds upper body and character. Bitches love upper body and character.

#19 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:38 PM

The stock settings don't work in my situation because it is cold and my drone is new. I got it chronoed at 280 at the proshop. I agree with asthamaticrhino, the cold is the main factor. The bolt is relubed. I honestly don't care if i loose a little efficiency. If i had to to keep the bolt from sticking i will probably set it at 16. I am currently at 13 and it works with the drop off only if i let my gun sit for an hour. At least i don't get barrel breaks from having one ball stuck in the barrel and another getting shot out.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users