25 replies to this topic

#1 slinkyaroo

slinkyaroo

Yes, I'm old. Yes, I'm cranky.

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:15 AM

Well it's that of year when the new players will soon be discovering that they need to do some adjustments to get the best out of their playing time. Often we'll hear them suddenly blaming the gear or paint but unfortunately they fail to realize that their manual and setting were written by a guy in California or they're too cheap that they want to use that last few bags of paint they have hanging around from August.

Just some basic tips:

1. Bring extra batteries and keep them warm.
2. Increase your dwell settings.
3. Use a light layer of lube.
4. Buy fingerless gloves. I like the neoprene ones by extreme rage. Keeps the hands warm.
5. Dress in layers.
6. Below 40F or 10C start looking at winter paint. It's not expensive when you consider half the summer paint will be barrel breaks.
7. Again batteries. Hopper batteries will only be good for a few hours then you'll get problems and need replacing.
8. Some people like to store their paintballs in a cooler to keep them warm.
9. You might want to revisit your barrel boring choices. Especially if you don't use summer paint.
10. Footwear. Ankle support, warm, dry and traction.
11. Headgear. Maybe look at getting a beanie. Or at least bring a toque to wear between games.

Have fun and I'm sure others will add to this.

#2 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

not that I'm SUPER experienced in winter play, but I would add that turning your velocity down if you are breaking paint helps also

if the paint is breaking in your gun and on your opponent at 260fps, you don't need to be shooting at 300fps

Turn the velocity down until you can get it out of your gun without breaking paint, it'll still break on your opponent

#3 slinkyaroo

slinkyaroo

Yes, I'm old. Yes, I'm cranky.

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

I should add that CO2 will be operating at around 500 psi @ 32F instead of 800 psi @ 70F so expect less shots per fill.

#4 Kirko017

Kirko017

Say no to drugs!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

I like to head to WalMart, back in the outdoor section they have the packs of hand warmers for $4-$10.. They have foot specific, toe specific, and body specific warmers as well. But I just get the value pack of hand warmers, they're not that much bigger than the toes or foot ones to where you can not fit them in your shoe, just loosen all the laces up some, stick em in. Warm feet.. They release just enough heat so your feet are not hot and all sweaty, but they are warm. I stick one under my toes and I am good. If I am outside in the woods and it is snowy and really cold I put an extra in there for safe measure near my ankle. I also wear two pair of socks regardless.. Then I keep one in each pocket for my hands.. You can always tape one of the hand warmers to any place on your body that tends to get really cold for you. They last the whole day. I think I put one in at 2pm, got home at 11pm. It was still hot when I took it out of my shoe.. I might start taping them on top of my hand in my gloves instead of keeping in my pockets.

Long Johns are your friend. A long john/thermal shirt will keep you more warm than a regular long sleeve shirt layered. Same with pants. Make sure your first layer is your long johns, then layer one or two layers ontop of it just to keep windchill off you. Don't need to look like a big puff ball. Layer some thicker long sleeves, or a longsleeve with a hoodie.and reasonable pants on top the long johns and you should be fine. I work outside for 10hrs a day like this just fine in the winter. If you're dressed like this, you should be fine. I wear a nice pair of boots when I work with great socks and not walking in snow. But when I play I wear my cleats, so I like to add the hand warmers, it makes a huge difference.

OP said fingerless, I wear fingered. My fingers get too wet and cold in fingerless.

A beanie, or a tennis type headband that is thick and soft to go around your ears to protect them.

Do these and you should be able to play in the snow, no problem at all. Play a lot outside in the snow like this, warm all day long.

The only other thing you might want to add is something for your neck/chin if that area is sensitive to cold. I know mine is more sensitive than others. I just wear a fleece scarf type thing. Works great, can get them at Walmart as well. by the hunting gear.

If you have a poppit, turn your dwell up like 1 or 2. If you have a spool. Eh, I guess it varies for spools as they have a different bolt designs. At least 5 clicks over stock settings though for most.

Edited by Kirko017, 10 December 2012 - 12:56 PM.

Kent State University Paintball Club
The University of Akron Paintball Club

Eminence

Paintball gear for sale!

#5 NBTIppy

NBTIppy

Sterling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:30 PM

Overbore and increase dwell, if shooting a spoolie, relubing half way through the day helps. Buying cheaper (harder shelled) paint. Bring extra pods, plastic gets brittle in the cold

#6 Nokified

Nokified

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:25 PM

Any good winter paint you guys can recommend?

#7 karolinen

karolinen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:46 AM

iagree with Kirko017 dress well not to much if its really cold we juse sportstejp over part of the cheek and nose, as fore paint we juse draxxus froztbite, gi sports winter has been working good fore us we ducetape beween boots and pants
we allways love to shoot on the tree above the player to make the showe fall on the playes under it .
Ps no need to dress in winter uniform ist just ruind after first hit, oh we juse pgps soo sorry cant help with dwell and stuff

#8 elraido

elraido

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

Normally too cold in the winter to play here. Especially since we play with CO2 most of the time. :( It was just too big of a hassle to try and get consistent shot speeds, keep warm and trudge threw the snow. When you have days in Dec, Jan and Feb where you don't hit above 0F for a high and the snow it up to your hip, it kind of takes the fun out of the game.

#9 NBTIppy

NBTIppy

Sterling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

Normally too cold in the winter to play here. Especially since we play with CO2 most of the time. :( It was just too big of a hassle to try and get consistent shot speeds, keep warm and trudge threw the snow. When you have days in Dec, Jan and Feb where you don't hit above 0F for a high and the snow it up to your hip, it kind of takes the fun out of the game.

Pff that makes it even more fun. Winter games are hands down my favorite time to play in the woods.

#10 elraido

elraido

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

Pff that makes it even more fun. Winter games are hands down my favorite time to play in the woods.

Have you tried to move at a rate faster than 2 steps per minute because the snow is that deep and it is -40F outside? :P That is not fun.

#11 Kirko017

Kirko017

Say no to drugs!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:51 AM

Yes, that is fun part of winter paintball. Slowly sneaking around in the much more visible woods, hiding in the snow, tracking people down through the snow.. Dude playing in the snow is so fun!

Yeah HPA works better in the winter over CO2. We use CO2 sometimes during the winter in the woods. Just try not to shoot it too much at once to help prevent your gun from frosting up. HPA will still frost up the barrel and stuff too when you shoot it a lot but not as bad.

Most of the major companies offer a winter blend, ask your field that if it is Field Paint Only to order some next time. Or any rec paint will do, just try to keep it somewhat warm throughout the day. Put towels or a nice insulated coat around the bags of paint when it is outside. Keep extra that you're not using in the car, out of the elements as best as possible while you're playing

Edited by Kirko017, 13 December 2012 - 04:54 AM.

Eminence

Paintball gear for sale!

#12 NBTIppy

NBTIppy

Sterling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:30 AM

Have you tried to move at a rate faster than 2 steps per minute because the snow is that deep and it is -40F outside? :P That is not fun.

Haha I live in the Maritimes, trust me I know cold and I know snow.

#13 elraido

elraido

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:36 AM

Haha I live in the Maritimes, trust me I know cold and I know snow.

Pffffffffffffffft! your record low is only -26F. That isn't cold. That is balmy! Try -64F!

#14 NBTIppy

NBTIppy

Sterling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:07 PM

Edit:

Haha that is not accurate, if that number is correct it's without windchill. The majority of the cold around here comes from that. But none-the less, yes I do enjoy playing in snow up to my waist and frigid temperatures.

Edited by NBTIppy, 13 December 2012 - 01:11 PM.

#15 asthmaticrhino

asthmaticrhino

Skyrockets in flight! Beeewwww

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:50 PM

Solution: live in California where it's a low of 40 in the late night/early morning. Lol the only thing I do in winter is overbore for my paint a little.

Edited by asthmaticrhino, 13 December 2012 - 06:51 PM.

Protip. Buy a shovel. Dig and Pile REPEAT until desired effect is achieved. Builds upper body and character. Bitches love upper body and character.

#16 Forrest

Forrest

It's gonna be a bloodbath!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:02 PM

Layers and hats are always a good idea. You can always take off extra layers, but you can't add.

Especially In Canada, it can get pretty cold.

#17 elraido

elraido

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:06 AM

Layers and hats are always a good idea. You can always take off extra layers, but you can't add.

Especially In Canada, it can get pretty cold.

Yeah but most of you Canadans live even further south than I do. :D

#18 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,121 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:44 AM

cockerpunk's winter playing tips (from a Minnesotan who actually knows winter):

DON'T
The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

#19 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:47 AM

cockerpunk's winter playing tips (from a Minnesotan who actually knows winter):

DON'T

Exactly. I'll play if it's cold but dry, but I'm not a fan of playing in the snow. I usually call it season over and save up over the winter until spring.

#20 madsnipes

madsnipes

CARNAGE 3!!!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,055 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

In winter I use a pump or a mech just because most electros tend to not work as well in the cold

#21 NBTIppy

NBTIppy

Sterling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

Pff you Americans are ninnies

#22 A&MBaller

A&MBaller

meow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:43 PM

My advice, move to Texas.

#23 woodsballer414

woodsballer414

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

Russian Red Legion.

/thread arguement over playing in cold.
LoNgBalLeR......................................................................................................SPLAT!!!

#24 Kirko017

Kirko017

Say no to drugs!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:35 AM

Russian Red Legion.

/thread arguement over playing in cold.

They play in heated dome...

/not cold

Edited by Kirko017, 16 December 2012 - 06:35 AM.

Eminence

Paintball gear for sale!

#25 elraido

elraido

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

Pff you Americans are ninnies

I formally invite you to come play with us in January. :D