6 replies to this topic

#1 Soldier of Fortune

Soldier of Fortune

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:10 PM

First off I want to say this is not a rant on my political beliefs and should not be taken as such. This is not about me saying who's right and who's wrong, to be honest all I want to see is a little maturing by all parties involved not only in politics, but in every aspect of life as well. This is a call for a cease fire.

What is the problem exactly? Debate and discussion are tools we all use to help develop or spread our ideas and beliefs. Today these terms are synonyms with screaming at some one until your face turns blue in the hope that your extremely intelligent and profound idea can penetrate into the empty recesses of their tiny inferior mind. We become so heated at idea that this person disagrees with us that we immediately block out everything they say. Immediately reason is replaced by wrath and we feel as though the only way to win is to make them lose. How did it come to this point where we argue not for the sake of the greater good, but rather in an effort to save face? Is this really what we have come to expect from those we have chosen to lead us and even from ourselves?

What I propose is simple in nature yet nearly impossible in it's application. No I am not asking anyone to abandon their morals or the beliefs they hold closest to their hearts, but rather I ask them to listen, truly listen to those with whom they disagree and try to see their side of the story. Yes I understand that maybe you believe your idea is truly greater than their's, but those that you allow to help find a solution will be more willing to work with you later on. Isn't it in the best interest of all parties involved to work together for the greater good instead of constantly trying to gain the upper hand?

I'm tired of my friends who get in fights for no other reason than to shame or harass another. I'm sick of people who make childish statements like "YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING!" or "YOU"RE STUPID!" simply because they believe they have every right to. And finally I am sick of those who believe themselves to be incapable of error.

Do I sometimes do these things? Yes of course, I am only human and by no means do I hold all the answers. Heck, we all make mistakes, they are as sure a thing as death and taxes, however this is no excuse to stop trying to make ourselves into the very best this world has to offer.

-Brody

I still suck and barely know positions.

thats what my wife said when I first met her...

#2 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,948 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:15 PM

That's what happens when people are short on logic, critical thinking, and factual evidence.

Edited by andrewthewookie, 10 December 2012 - 10:17 PM.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT 09 Impulse HB REV-i Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor Grillz PE 70/45 Feedback - 23/0/0

Closer & Angel A1 F/S/T

#3 Soldier of Fortune

Soldier of Fortune

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:22 PM

That's what happens when people are short on logic, critical thinking, and factual evidence.

I just want to believe that it's not due to a lack of ability, but rather a lack of effort. I at least want people to attempt not to make arses of themselves by arguing past the point of all reason. Just to make an effort is all I can ask of them.

I still suck and barely know positions.

thats what my wife said when I first met her...

#4 Eskimo

Eskimo

Member #: 666 ( Seriously )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:00 PM

you do debates in school?

The best is when they make you debate on both sides of an argument. it really shows who takes the time and the effort on understanding the situation from both perspectives.

anyways, people forget that different opinions and different perspectives drive solutions to our problems and they got so caught up in their own world they fail to see the other side.

the hard part isnt applying this online, (you can at least read what your about to post and determine if its worth to post it) but to apply this in your most heated arguments in real life

Citrus Connection
Proudly Partnered With: PBL, TechPB, Pinokio Hoppers, HK·Army

#5 madsnipes

madsnipes

CARNAGE 3!!!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,054 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:25 PM

#6 DarkSide

DarkSide

I want that Purple stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

When I saw the title of this thread, I was going to immediately post that same song lol
"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

#7 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:56 PM

When I get into a discussion of clashing ideas, instead of saying they're wrong, I stop and think on why they believe this and what have they've gained or intend to gain by believing this. It helps me to rationally understand their side and, if I still disagree, I can put my arguments into their perspective a lot more effectively.

More often than not, a person has a particular view due to ignorance of any other view. That's not necessarily a bad thing, it just means they haven't seen what the other side has to offer. If they still hold to their original belief, opinion, etc. once that ignorance has been resolved, they at least have a more rational way of looking at whatever the topic may be.

I also believe the very moment you make a personal attack in an intellectual debate, you immediately lose any argument you had in it. If you can't take an argument and use it in the same debate with a different person, then you have no right in using that argument as it's more relative to the person than it is to the debate.

Edited by Antonious, 13 December 2012 - 09:00 PM.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users