26 replies to this topic

#1 billski

billski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

Hi,
I am getting pretty big into paintball and i am starting to realize my marker isnt up to par with how i want to play. I normally play on a field that has every type of course. I am planning on upgrading my carver one with apex to something with a higher rate of fire. I have come down to the 2 options that would suite me best.

I prefer to play woodsball so i like the range the apex gives, but i like to be agressive as well. I dont play in tournaments, just as a hobby on the weekends. paintball in wisconsin is seasonal as well

An Empire mini with night stick or a5 with he trigger and a flatline. Cost and weight really arent a factor for me, but reliablilty and maintnenace are. . Can an expert perhaps point be in the right direction?

Edited by billski, 12 December 2012 - 12:46 PM.

#2 Soldier of Fortune

Soldier of Fortune

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

Maybe look at the gog extcy better performer than both easier to maintain and very reliable

I still suck and barely know positions.

thats what my wife said when I first met her...

#3 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,640 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

An Extcy or Rail would be a much better choice, forget the Mini, and if you get an A5, well...

Awarded: " the biggest dumbass on this forum" 2012

#4 Woodyballer29

Woodyballer29

Brass Eagle Fanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

Posted Image

Oh and barrels won't do anything to help accuracy if you decide to get the Nightstick for the Mini.

Edited by Woodyballer29, 12 December 2012 - 02:28 PM.

I have and I always will be a Christian Baller.
My setup: Because I'm a bad*** Tippmann 98 custom with a shake and bake and two 20oz C02 tanks. Be jelly!

#5 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,349 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

Out of the two, I would get a Mini, but I would rather get an eXTCy, or a Rail.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#6 Lotus

Lotus

Tech Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,929 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

If you get the eXTCy, you can still buy an apex ready barrel, or entire apex kit that includes the tip for it. There is no downside to going with a speedball style marker. They're more reliable, they're lighter, they make it easier to switch hands, easier to run, easier to shoot, more consistent over the chronograph, never chop, easier on paint, and so many other things. A5 is for looks, a speedball marker is for function.

Posted Image

#7 Woodyballer29

Woodyballer29

Brass Eagle Fanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:57 PM

They're more reliable, easier to shoot, more consistent over the chronograph, never chop. A5 is for looks, a speedball marker is for function.

No totally, tippmann's require VERY little maintenance if any. An a5 you just point and shoot, a speedball marker requires a bit more to operate. Really it depends on the paint you are using for it to be consistent. My tippmann can chrono + or - 5 with c02 sometimes. I just recently watched a video with a g5 shooting + or - like 15 lol, with hpa. I was using better paint then them when they did the video. Also it depends on what kind of a bore to barrel match you have. I've seen many speedball guns chop, depends on what paint you are using. They both are for function.

Edited by Woodyballer29, 12 December 2012 - 03:58 PM.

My setup: Because I'm a bad*** Tippmann 98 custom with a shake and bake and two 20oz C02 tanks. Be jelly!

#8 billski

billski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:10 PM

I would be using hpa. What about range? I'd be using 50$ paint.

#9 Pump Player

Pump Player

Voted techpb's #1 sloth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • Location:Lutz fl, blitzkrieg paintball, orbital paintball, central Florida paintball

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

get a proto rail. dominates all the tippmann guys at my field :)

2011 proto rail + Pinokio! --- http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=222130

#10 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • 15,640 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

HPA is better again for a speedball style gun, sometimes you can get issues with Tippmanns in the cold where they sputter rather than fully recock, something like a Rail runs at a 1/4th the pressure so theres no chance of that happening.

Range is identical between any gun, 300FPS on a speedball gun is 300FPS on a woodsball gun.

#11 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,349 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:35 PM

Range is purely dependent on the velocity at which you are shooting. The only exception to this would be an Apex, or Flatline barrel, they add backspin allowing the ball to go farther.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

#12 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

between the a5 and the mini, I would opt for the mini. But if I were actually picking one out, I would go with the eXTCy or the rail. Or maybe a new or used Axe if you were willing to go that far in terms of price.

#13 Lotus

Lotus

Tech Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,929 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

I would call having to take apart the marker to clean a chop, something very common with A5s, as maintenance. Doing that is a bitch if you actually want to get your marker clean again. Yes it can run dirty, but that just ruins accuracy and increases the risks of chopping in the future. Maintenance is significantly better on most speedball markers, Ions not withstanding.

Posted Image

#14 billski

billski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:48 PM

Would I be able to shoot farther with a flatline then a proto or extcy with a 100 barrel?

#15 Lotus

Lotus

Tech Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,929 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

A flatline versus a regular barrel? Yes, the flatline will shoot farther. But you can do the same thing with an eXTCy by putting an Apex barrel on it. Plus with the Apex you can adjust the direction of spin and degree of spin which can be very useful on the field.

Edited by Lotus, 12 December 2012 - 04:51 PM.

Posted Image

#16 Cheeks

Cheeks

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

I love my mini. I also use the apex on occasion. I might be the only person here who thinks its great but I love it. I also own an upped ion. Which is very similar to an extcy. To me its mini hands down. Find what's CHEAPEST because if its just a weekend thing. Anything is an upgrade from a carver one. My vote however goes to the mini by a long shot.

#17 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:01 PM

But when something goes wrong with the tippmann, its a pain to take apart and fix. With the eXTCy, its normally just: take out back cap. Pull out bolt. Clean bolt. Relube bolt. Put bolt back in. Done.
Plus, speedball type markers are so much better than any tippmann or the like, in every way. I would go with the eXTCy since it has those basic modes plus the fun ones such as full auto and what not, thanks to the Blackheart board already inside of it. HPA is the way to go too, which you already do, which is great.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#18 billski

billski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

Would there be any possibility to find a marker that doesn't look like the proto or extcy. They are both god awful ugly

#19 Woodyballer29

Woodyballer29

Brass Eagle Fanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

The exception to added range both guns shooting at 300 fps is that if you shoot paint that's heavier it will hold it's fps longer than a lighter ball, which thereby gives you extra range.

#20 G4paintballer

G4paintballer

Gun/gear whore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,862 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

Out of the two, the Mini is my choice. But try and hold one, going from a carver one to a mini would be VERY cramped feeling, since they are small guns.
Current setup: WGP Trilogy, CCM S6, Ion Xe
Feedback 10/0/0

#21 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • 15,640 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:52 PM

Would there be any possibility to find a marker that doesn't look like the proto or extcy. They are both god awful ugly

The GOG Envy is a bit cheaper and is still a good choice, see how you like that.

#22 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,349 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:53 PM

And the A5 isn't?

fuck yolo
#carpediem

#23 Woodyballer29

Woodyballer29

Brass Eagle Fanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

And the A5 isn't?

Oh and when you see them in real life the Rails look sexy. Trust me.

#24 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:36 PM

The rails and the extcy look very sexy in real life. The rails for me...not so much. A field where players only shoot either egos, dms, and PMR's, old pumps, and rentals can really change how you view guns if you're a man of variety like me. I brought my friends extcy out there, yeah no one but the experienced guys knew what it was. Everyone was thinking it was some sort of geo+ or a fancy rental. BTW, the white extcy with a white virtue spire and a ninja 68/4500 with a white grip cover made me look like the damn sexiest guy out there, what with me and my white jersey/pants/eflex. Thats the whole reason why he lent it out to me in the first place.
ANYWHO I would get the extcy over the rail, yet the Reflex Rail over both, and the Tippmann if it was under 100 bucks used and sold locally on craigslist for shits n giggles.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#25 recklessbob

recklessbob

Welts Don't Wipe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:01 PM

i have owned both the mini and the a5. I also own a rail. My main marker is now a pm8. Anyways i would get the mini or a rail or go used and try to pick up a used highend marker like a pm8 dm9 08 ego, or some of bob longs markers

sounds like wayne brady is gonna have to choke a bitch.

AXE F/S/T: http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=217311
68/4500-
http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=215637

#26 Hitman2513

Hitman2513

Save a Rock Throw a Mini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,526 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:24 AM

And the A5 isn't?

Oh and when you see them in real life the Rails look sexy. Trust me.

Posted Image

I don't find this nor any rail sexy

Maybe look at the gog extcy better performer than both easier to maintain and very reliable

:tup:
Posted Image
Bitches love my Spyder Ion

[-ORaNGe-] Trolling isn't an action, it's a lifestyle :)

#27 Woodyballer29

Woodyballer29

Brass Eagle Fanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:15 AM

You know what I meant! :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users