13 replies to this topic

#1 Lyxtwing

Lyxtwing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:55 AM

Hello all,

I picked up a Hammer 7 this week. Sadly, I wont be able to run paint through it until next weekend. Keep that in mind with what I will be mentioning in this post. The following are my initial impressions of the marker. THIS IS NOT A REVIEW!!!

First thing is first, this marker covers three bases for me: this is my first pump, my first mag fed, and my first experience with first strike rounds. When I opened the box I was rather happy to find a sleeve of first strike rounds. Along with this is a barrel plug (?), a nice full colour manual, and a parts kit that is far superior to any kingman/spyder parts kit I have ever seen. An extra cup seal, extra screws, ball detent, and orings, enough to keep the marker going for a long time.

Now for the marker itself. One the mag fed side of things, it is a great design. It takes a second or two to get used to putting them in, but they work great. They close when you remove them from the marker so you don't have to worry about the clip emptying on you if you pull it out before you've used all the paint (at least with the first strike rounds). The included mag works with both first strike and with regular paintballs. From what my local dealer has told me, mags will be a bit hard to get a hold of for a little while. They made enough for the markers they have made and will be making more in the near future. Also note, this marker does NOT fit the previous kingman magazines.

Moving to the top of the marker and it's included feedneck. To start, thank you for including the optional vert feed. It would have been easy for a company to put the feedneck as an optional "upgrade". Looking at the feedneck itself, it's plastic but it is not the thin POS plastic from kingmans of old. Anyone remember the feedneck off the e-99? Just me? Well, it was junk. This one will take some abuse and may not be a nice lever lock, but will clamp down hard enough to keep your hopper safe. That said, there are there is an issue with the feedneck that is currently driving me crazy. The feedneck is held on with two screws rather than being threaded in. This is a problem as most screw drivers wont reach the screws to tighten the feedneck enough to make it a tight fit. Your results may very, but it is a small negative.

Be aware that this marker requires tools to switch from mag fed to hopper fed, but it looks like this may be an option in the future. It uses a spyder threaded rotating breach that has an amazingly well designed idea in it. A common problem with pump markers is roll out, where the ball is loaded into the barrel before firing and if the bore is to large the ball rolls forward and messes up your shot. (Disclaimer: this is my first pump, let alone my fist hammer so this may be an old and well used idea), The way they get around this on the hammer 7 is having an extended breach with two ball detents in separate locations. There is one detent when the ball is dropper in front of the bolt. When the bolt moves forward and is ready to fire, there is another detent to keep the ball in place. Being a single detent in both locations, force fed loaders may pose a problem.

The pump arm. Now, this is where something interesting pops up. The pump arm is plastic. A heavy plastic that I do not see any issues of durability under normal use. The pump arm rests right against the barrels and makes any of the after market barrels I own unusable with the marker in its stock form. I was really looking forward to putting my spyder threaded freak on this thing but it simply didn't fit. The good news is that the barrel that comes with the marker has two things going for it. One is that it is honed to a glass finish on the inside (again, the e-99 barrel? Anyone?), the other is that the tip of the barrel can be swapped out if you're after a different look. There is no porting so it's not doing you any favors on the sound side of things (was loud as hell in the store). There are some barrels that will fit, but double check a barrel will fit before you put any money down. Being plastic, I am considering modding it to fit a freak as it would be easy enough to grind it down. This may be a negative for myself, but for a great deal of people it will make little to no difference. Remember, there is a difference between a design choice and a design flaw. (Side note for those who care, barrels that I can confirm don't fit: Dye UL, SP Freak (Not sure if the newer GOG is thinner), SP Progressive).

The aim will be to give this thing a run through within a week but we shall see. Again, this is NOT a review.

You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.

PM8 I Alias I Marq 6 I A4 Fly I E1 I eNMey I Hammer 7

#2 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

200lb of unpredictable coming to hunt ya ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,593 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

Kingman really out did themselves this time, even going to include a tube of FS with the first 500 markers (I think that's what the kingman rep said on mcb).

They wanted to do barrel condoms but they had to pay royalties in order to include them so they didn't include it.

The 9rd mags teh last I've heard will be shipped to dealers very soon if they haven't already

Also those feednecks have proven themselves on ccm, they just work.

Along with that sleeve some on mcb have found thumbscrews to adjust on the fly so its tool-less, kingman also was talking about possibly selling an autococker sleeve soon so you can use cocker barrels. With your detent concerns I'm fairly confident that you can pop a rotor on it and it shouldn't double feed.

But yeah can't wait to see what's your full opinion on it after a few days out balling!
gnUDL.png
See my about me for useful things like feedback!

#3 drg

drg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

Never thought much of having something in the barrel that your ball contacts as it flies out.
Keep your pump hand strong!
PUMPPB.COM TIGHTSTICK - Custom LAPCO 1-piece underbore barrel! SALE!
PUMPPB.COM - Pump paintball forums
HawaiiPB.com - Paintball forums for the state of Hawaii
HawaiiPB/PumpPB - Our videos

#4 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:59 PM

Never thought much of having something in the barrel that your ball contacts as it flies out.

If you are referring to the barrel plug,almost all guns come with barrel socks nowadays.But it is a pump,so it should suffice.

#5 drg

drg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:36 AM

If you are referring to the barrel plug,almost all guns come with barrel socks nowadays.But it is a pump,so it should suffice.

wtf ... no, I'm talking about the detent in front of the ball
Keep your pump hand strong!
PUMPPB.COM TIGHTSTICK - Custom LAPCO 1-piece underbore barrel! SALE!
PUMPPB.COM - Pump paintball forums
HawaiiPB.com - Paintball forums for the state of Hawaii
HawaiiPB/PumpPB - Our videos

#6 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:35 PM

wtf ... no, I'm talking about the detent in front of the ball

Good,because I then I would have thought of you as ridiculously stupid :)

#7 madsnipes

madsnipes

CARNAGE 3!!!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,054 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:16 PM

just wondering, how much does it cost for extra mags?

#8 walk on pro

walk on pro

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

For the the first strike mags it is 35 dollars USD (http://www.ansgear.c...ikemagazine.htm) and for the regular 10 round no first strike ready mags its 22 dollars USD (http://www.ansgear.c...mrxmagazine.htm) I look forward to owning this marker sometume

Horizontal Stock Class CCI Phantom

2011 Proto Rail, Draxxus 68/45 with Ninja Pro Reg, Halo Too with Exalt Speedfeed, CP .685 14 inch 2 Piece Barrel.

#9 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

200lb of unpredictable coming to hunt ya ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,593 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:47 AM

$19.95 on paintball gateway
gnUDL.png
See my about me for useful things like feedback!

#10 Lyxtwing

Lyxtwing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:26 PM

After a day of play.

Ok, so all in all I had fun playing with this thing, but I have found some minor and some major issues with it thus far.

First thing is first, I was unable to get it to fire over 263fps. This may need some breaking in, but I tried to turn up the velocity and was unable to get it passed that. If fact, as I raised it I got to 263, gave it another turn and it started dropping. Ended up playing the night around 250fps, which was ok but wasn't ideal Adjusting through the barrel was far less of a pain in the ass than expected. Going to give it a tear down and relube everything and see if that helps.

At faster firing rates, about one in ten shots looked to fire at about 100fps. Again this could work itself out after breaking it in, but it kinda sucked on the field.

As expected, it is very loud on the field. Not as loud as the rentals, but it does make a nice "crack" when you fire. A ported barrel would more than likely drop this down, but the stock barrel wasn't causing any issues. For those concerned about the detent causing any problems, I did not notice and strange curves or anything being caused by it so I wouldn't worry about it. Wouldn't use any really brittle paint with it. Despite the boom, it has a very smooth shot. Didn't notice any kick which was great to see, but may change when I get the velocity up.

Now, if you switch over to the feedneck be very careful that it is lined up properly. When I first went to play it looked to be orientated properly, and was locking in place, but was slightly off angle and was causing feeding problems. This was user error, and was easily fixed. Once in place, it fed perfectly the rest of the night. The pump stroke was a bit stiff but nothing unmanageable, and thanks to the design unless something slips past the detents you can't double feed by mistake.

On the mag side of things, I did not play using the mag fed option, but I did mess around with it a little to test some things. I loaded it up and lost count, and when I overloaded it I triggered the mag and all the balls flew out across the staging area. After that wonderfully embarrassing moment, I decided to carefully load it and make sure I didn't overflow the mag. I then very purposefully dropped the mag onto the table, about a one foot drop. This caused the mag to once again unload itself violently. If I were to play with say, two mags in a holster, I would avoid doing any major slides that could result in bumping the mags.

Despite the issues, it was still a fun night. I am still glad I purchased this marker, and if I can get the velocity worked out I will still recommend it when I do a full review.

You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.

PM8 I Alias I Marq 6 I A4 Fly I E1 I eNMey I Hammer 7

#11 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

Seems like a neat little gun.One of the few spyders that has actually has it's own back-order list

#12 madsnipes

madsnipes

CARNAGE 3!!!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,054 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

$19.95 on paintball gateway

Posted Image

#13 SuperG91

SuperG91

You met me at a very strange time in my life.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

Damn, this gun sounds awesome. And at 130$ with FS mags at 35, this just gets me so excited.
[font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"][font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"][size="2"]

[size="4"]Super, that is by far the funniest reply I've ever seen in my life, if it weren't so massive I'd quote it in my sig lol

Feedback!

#14 FoxHound

FoxHound

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

How is the bolt/sear.? The one thing i didnt like on the Traccer i had was the bolt would chip and wear from use.

Current Marker - E1
FoxHound1.jpg

BST Feedback

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users