http://www.techpb.co...9

#2 Pakistani

Pakistani

www.AliZaman.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

i think over the next season, you'll see the spire as one of the most popular hoppers around.
as of now, ive heard quite a few complaints about inconsistent feeding. while i really want to get a spire, im going to wait until the complaints die down, or until they release a version 2.

if you need to get one soon, go for the rotor. its a safer bet.
you could get a spire, and if you dont like, you'll have no problems trading it for a rotor.

KPS Paintball VCU Rams Richmond Rage

If you need help with a Dye gun, PM me!

#3 NPpballer

NPpballer

I'm Rick James, BITCH!

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:29 PM

Rotor has proven technology. I'm in the same boat as Paki when it comes to Spires, definetly waiting for an update.

#4 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,593 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:42 PM

I'd go with the Rotors if I was a "go with tried and true instead of new but poo" type of guy, but I'm a new-stuff whore. I'd go with the Spire and be one of the first people to have one, plus I'm sure it preforms just as well as the others. Also, it comes in white. And ORANGE.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#5 Carolus Rex

Carolus Rex

I won at life once.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:46 AM

I just bought myself a spire, but i'm not going to praise it just yet since i haven't tried it out. Messing around att home with it i noticed that dumping a pod with the speedfeed on only let's about half of the pods worth of paint go inside. This is because the drivecone is in the the way of the paintballs. Not sure if it's going to be a problem in game since I always reload with my loader tilted downwards.

o8qo.jpg

#6 dertydood

dertydood

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:41 AM

I've heard no major complaints as far as performance goes on the spire. It's the lowest profile hopper on the market and I've heard tons of good things about it. Of course, there's no "perfect" hopper, so with this low profile comes some of it's drawbacks. Nonetheless, the spire is still all around better than the rotor. The spire never jams, which the same can't be said about the rotor. The spire is also lighter, smaller, holds more paint, and is quicker/ easier to disassemble. I think all of it's strengths far outweigh it's supposed weakness of "not being able to load an entire pod because of the drivecone." Plus, the rotor uses outdated technology and is in desperate need of an overhaul. You can also get the sweet new virtue crown sf speedfeed with the spring fingers, which is totally badass.
Swap my Ego 11 parts! OG green for white, black, silver etc.... http://www.techpb.co...1

My feedback- http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=217960-

#7 Pakistani

Pakistani

www.AliZaman.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:07 AM

I've heard no major complaints as far as performance goes on the spire. It's the lowest profile hopper on the market and I've heard tons of good things about it. Of course, there's no "perfect" hopper, so with this low profile comes some of it's drawbacks. Nonetheless, the spire is still all around better than the rotor. The spire never jams, which the same can't be said about the rotor. The spire is also lighter, smaller, holds more paint, and is quicker/ easier to disassemble. I think all of it's strengths far outweigh it's supposed weakness of "not being able to load an entire pod because of the drivecone." Plus, the rotor uses outdated technology and is in desperate need of an overhaul. You can also get the sweet new virtue crown sf speedfeed with the spring fingers, which is totally badass.

Posted Image

do you have either loader? what are you basing your opinion off of?
I was a click away from buying a spire. i really think it'll be the most popular loader soon, but after talking to the guys at my proshop, i've had 3 separate people tell me their complaints about the spire and its inconsistent feed rate, which isn't a small problem.
1 not only had problems with the inconsistent feed rate, but also got a jam in his spire that the spires unjam feature couldn't clear. I'm not saying the spire is a bad hopper, i'd still love to own one, but not until i hear that virtue has updated the design to account for apparent design flaws.

lastly, WTH are you talking about when you say the rotor is outdated technology? its still the most popular loader among tournament players...

#8 Fssto

Fssto

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

I haven't owned either but have played with a rotor. But from what I have read on various websites the spire seems to be really good considering it's the first one. The 1st gen rotor had problems as well. The spire has amazing potential and could replace the rotor in the next couple years.

#9 Razgriz183

Razgriz183

rAwR!

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

Posted Image

I was a click away from buying a spire. i really think it'll be the most popular loader soon, but after talking to the guys at my proshop, i've had 3 separate people tell me their complaints about the spire and its inconsistent feed rate, which isn't a small problem.
1 not only had problems with the inconsistent feed rate, but also got a jam in his spire that the spires unjam feature couldn't clear. I'm not saying the spire is a bad hopper, i'd still love to own one, but not until i hear that virtue has updated the design to account for apparent design flaws.

lastly, WTH are you talking about when you say the rotor is outdated technology? its still the most popular loader among tournament players...

hahah... i like that you question if he owned either of these loaders when you're making comments bout the spire and do not own one yourself :P

The feed consistence issue is from people shooting their hopper empty and have less then 20~30 balls left, generally the spire is soooo quiet you don't notice it running low while the rotor spins like crazy when its down to the last 20~30 and people tend to slam another pod in it before it goes empty. It's generally 1st time users for the spire tries to keep shooting when there is no paint and blame it on a consistency issue. The rotor has the same issue when it is almost out of paint but not as severe because of the spring loaded tray, only hiccups i notices with the rotor comes from the popcorn-ing effect

Jam wise, I had have several jams with my rotor (couple dozen in like a 100 cases) and one random jam with my spire our of like 20 cases so far... but the jam on the spire was caused a swelled paintball that got stuck in the feedneck, while the rotor was a jam in the drive cone areas.

So far I have like my spire way more then the rotor, although the new speedfeed that virtue release is WAY better than the original speedfeed
my feedback :) 16/0/0
www.zephyrpaintball.com

www.OringMonkey.com

www.santaclarapaintball.com

#10 Pakistani

Pakistani

www.AliZaman.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

Posted Image

hahah... i like that you question if he owned either of these loaders when you're making comments bout the spire and do not own one yourself :P

The feed consistence issue is from people shooting their hopper empty and have less then 20~30 balls left, generally the spire is soooo quiet you don't notice it running low while the rotor spins like crazy when its down to the last 20~30 and people tend to slam another pod in it before it goes empty. It's generally 1st time users for the spire tries to keep shooting when there is no paint and blame it on a consistency issue. The rotor has the same issue when it is almost out of paint but not as severe because of the spring loaded tray, only hiccups i notices with the rotor comes from the popcorn-ing effect

Jam wise, I had have several jams with my rotor (couple dozen in like a 100 cases) and one random jam with my spire our of like 20 cases so far... but the jam on the spire was caused a swelled paintball that got stuck in the feedneck, while the rotor was a jam in the drive cone areas.

So far I have like my spire way more then the rotor, although the new speedfeed that virtue release is WAY better than the original speedfeed

the difference between me and him would be that i'm not passing judgement on the spire. I'm simply saying that the rotor is "tried and true" as someone else put it, while the spire seems to have various complaints like all new hoppers do.
if i was saying the spire is shit and the rotor is 100% better, then sure, i'd be a hypocrite but i haven't said anything close to that. I even acknowledged in my first post that it'll be one of the top loaders in the market pretty soon.
When you say stuff like "the spire is better than the rotor", "the spire never jams", and "the rotor needs an overhaul because its outdated" when you dont own one and have only played with the other, you're just talking for the sake of talking.

#11 Razgriz183

Razgriz183

rAwR!

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:35 PM

the difference between me and him would be that i'm not passing judgement on the spire. I'm simply saying that the rotor is "tried and true" as someone else put it, while the spire seems to have various complaints like all new hoppers do.
if i was saying the spire is shit and the rotor is 100% better, then sure, i'd be a hypocrite but i haven't said anything close to that. I even acknowledged in my first post that it'll be one of the top loaders in the market pretty soon.
When you say stuff like "the spire is better than the rotor", "the spire never jams", and "the rotor needs an overhaul because its outdated" when you dont own one and have only played with the other, you're just talking for the sake of talking.

haha chill dude, I understand that you were defending the rotor from someone so said the rotor needs a overhaul because they were outdated.

But was I wrong to tell you why people had feed consistency issues? Why don't you ask Hebiki who's a avid supporter of the spire and has mentioned what happens when paint runs low. I noticed off bat when the loader is running out of paint you will see feed inconsistencies, which is caused by having no paint in the hopper (seriously no paint? you expect to shoot paint when there is no paint in the loader?). Just because the Z2 and rotor tends to spin while they are empty letting u know you are out of paint doesn't mean it has feed inconsistencies.

like i said before I really only had 1 jam from the spire but it was more of a gun jam then the spire... but to each is its own

Oh and the rotor is kinda based off of old technology... but old technology that is used in a way that makes it awesome. the rotor motor is the same motors they use in RC cars which essentially just spins gears... and dye manage to use that same RC motor design for their loaders and those tiny RC motor's have been around since i was 7 (22years ago)
my feedback :) 16/0/0
www.zephyrpaintball.com

www.OringMonkey.com

www.santaclarapaintball.com

#12 dertydood

dertydood

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:42 PM

Posted Image

I've used the rotor, and was not at all impressed by it. In fact, I preferred my pinokio over it. I haven't actually used the spire, but I know people who do and they love them. I was also able to inspect a spire closely and could get at least a good gauge of it's build quality which seemed a step above the rotor. Even without firsthand experience with the spire, I can base purely on it's specifications that it is the superior loader. Not to mention all the people who swear by them who HAVE used them extensively.

As far as inconsistent feed, this can be minimized by adjusting the many settings on the Spire. Also, when the loader gets down to the last few balls, it has a difficult time getting them into the drivecone path, but only happens with the last 15 or so.- This I think is only a small drawback to an otherwise awesome loader.

Another huge problem I have with the rotor while I used it, is the loader would constantly spin very loudly if you ran out of paint. This could very easily give your position away and leave you vulnerable.
Swap my Ego 11 parts! OG green for white, black, silver etc.... http://www.techpb.co...1

#13 Carolus Rex

Carolus Rex

I won at life once.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:33 AM

Another huge problem I have with the rotor while I used it, is the loader would constantly spin very loudly if you ran out of paint. This could very easily give your position away and leave you vulnerable.

I guess you have to pick you poision on this one. Either you have a loud rotor spinning like crazy when it's empty. Which on the other hand feed the last balls a little better. Or you have the spire which has some trouble with feeding the last balls but doesn't spin like crazy making alot of noise.

Edited by Carolus Rex, 18 December 2012 - 02:34 AM.

o8qo.jpg

#14 BraiNfreeZe

BraiNfreeZe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:17 AM

Get the spire it doesn't spin as much and is freak ORANGE!!!!!!

"Always put a condom on your stiffi incase you shoot in the safety zone."

#15 dertydood

dertydood

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:29 PM

I guess you have to pick you poision on this one. Either you have a loud rotor spinning like crazy when it's empty. Which on the other hand feed the last balls a little better. Or you have the spire which has some trouble with feeding the last balls but doesn't spin like crazy making alot of noise.

Exactly, if you're playing hopper ball, the spire would be better because chances are you have time to shake the rogue balls down into the drive path. The rotor can handle the last few better, but still has jamming tendencies with less-than-perfect paint.

#16 NBTIppy

NBTIppy

Sterling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

I can't speak for the Spire but I do own a Rotor and will be soon getting rid of it so I can get a Spire. The Rotor is far too picky about what paint goes into it and changing from lid to speed feed is a bit time consuming. Also, local players are swearing by the Spire, claiming it trumps all other loaders for reballs.

So if you plan on putting any reballs through your loader, I say stay away from the Rotor because it jams constantly with them unless you are able to find a SEED kit on a BST, but even then you are dumping an extra $100 into a loader that's already $200.

On a side note, I agree that the Rotor is due for some overhauling, a $200 loader should come with anti-jam tech already in it. (And no the fin doesn't always work.)

#17 Carolus Rex

Carolus Rex

I won at life once.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

Exactly, if you're playing hopper ball, the spire would be better because chances are you have time to shake the rogue balls down into the drive path. The rotor can handle the last few better, but still has jamming tendencies with less-than-perfect paint.

And which one is better comes down to personal prefrence in my opinon. Personally i reload as soon i can dump an entire pod into the loader. And i rarely run my hopper dry. Atleast when i'm playing woodsball.

o8qo.jpg

#18 Ryyparr

Ryyparr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:53 PM

I own a brand new spire and my only complaint is the speed feed. It's terrible. My buddy has the rotor and his complaint is he never knows when he's low on paint. We've both shot at least 3-4 cases out of both hoppers and haven't had a jam yet. The spire does spin when empty but it is a very faint and quick spin until it finds resistance. I have not had any inconsistent shots unless coming out of "standby" which is a feature that saves battery life. Honestly I like both but I prefer my spire because it holds a true 200 where the rotor only holds around 180. Honestly who can hear your rotor spinning empty 10ft away????

#19 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,070 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:09 AM

I own a brand new spire and my only complaint is the speed feed. It's terrible. My buddy has the rotor and his complaint is he never knows when he's low on paint. We've both shot at least 3-4 cases out of both hoppers and haven't had a jam yet. The spire does spin when empty but it is a very faint and quick spin until it finds resistance. I have not had any inconsistent shots unless coming out of "standby" which is a feature that saves battery life. Honestly I like both but I prefer my spire because it holds a true 200 where the rotor only holds around 180. Honestly who can hear your rotor spinning empty 10ft away????

Get the newest speedfeed the plastic ones with the springs in it.

#20 crPaliza

crPaliza

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:46 AM

I've never tried the Spire and would definitely like to give it a shot. The Rotor works fine so long as you lower the torque. But yes, I did find that the anti-jam fin sucks. Only reason I haven't bought a Spire yet is the complaints I've been hearing about not being able to dump a full pod of paint into the Spire's speedfeed because of its protruding drive cone.

#21 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:57 AM

Pulling the anti jam fin has always worked for all of my jams. Maybe i have just been lucky so far.

#22 Fssto

Fssto

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:05 AM

What If you tilt your marker down a little? You won't be able to shoot and reload. But atleast you can get your pod in

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users