8 replies to this topic

#1 PB2011

PB2011

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:32 PM

Sup guys. I felt like ranting about this a bit, because it kind of bothers me. Mods, if it's too political or whatnot, feel free to close it.

Does anyone find it unusual about how much press coverage the school shooting is getting in comparison to other newsworthy stories? It's true that it was a horrible atrocity, and innocent children lost their lives. It deserved a lot of coverage, no doubt, but I find it weird that Chicago has had almost 488 murders this year (many of them teenagers and children, and many are not criminals, just in the wrong place at the wrong time) and I have seen maybe 3 or 4 reports on it the entire year. Why is it that when impoverished inner-city kids get killed, it's hardly noticed, but when something like what happened on Friday happens, the entire country is suddenly up in arms, demanding new laws and actions put in place to prevent senseless killing, when it's been going on all year in the streets of our cities? 

I'm not saying that the Newtown massacre deserved any less coverage than what it got, or that we should have payed less attention to it, but I wish that the United States as a whole would pay some more attention to serious problems going on in our cities nearly every day.

Anyway, there you go, there's my rant for now. Anybody else noticed this?
It's a trap! -Admiral Ackbar, a long long time ago.

#2 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,061 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

1 murder is not news, especially when it's not out of the norm, as bad as that is.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT 09 Impulse HB REV-i Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor Grillz PE 70/45 Feedback - 23/0/0

#3 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,360 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:34 PM

The fact that Newton was a quiet town, it was in an elementary school, and it was the largest massacre in our nations history. School shootings don't happen every day. As bad as it sounds, inner city shootings and violence happen all the time. And not all school shootings make national headlines. Anybody hear of the shooting in Chardon Ohio? It happened near the beginning of the year.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#4 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:53 PM

The fact that Newton was a quiet town, it was in an elementary school, and it was the largest massacre in our nations history. School shootings don't happen every day. As bad as it sounds, inner city shootings and violence happen all the time. And not all school shootings make national headlines. Anybody hear of the shooting in Chardon Ohio? It happened near the beginning of the year.

It was actually the second largest, look up the Virginia Tech shooting if you haven't heard of it. But like mentioned above, it's treated differently because he killed primarily children, defenseless and nowhere to run. And everyone who came face-to-face with the shooter was killed, and that doesn't happen.

You have a point that some killings go unnoticed and the few high profile ones are the ones everyone cares about. Sadly, that's the world we live in. Some people just don't give a shit. But when it's a school full of innocent children, that gives everyone; gun control people, the media, even the Westboro Baptist Church (fuck them BTW) an excuse to blame somebody and further their own agenda.

I prefer not to watch the news, the news makes it so shit can't be simple anymore. They feed off of the sadness of others like fucking parasites, with millions waiting to watch the spectacle like it's entertainment for them.

I feel horrible for everyone involved with that shooting, but I prefer to stay out of things aren't my business, the whole thing is too damn sad to see and those people don't need more attention and reminders of what happened brought to themselves.

#5 Rhino1909

Rhino1909

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:03 PM

It's really annoying how something always has to be blamed n then we get to listen n read about a bunch of idiots debating over less guns, more guns, video games, mental health, etc. I remember a shooter had a paintball poster in his room n there was a story on how paintball breeds violence or some shit. N I love when video games get blamed. Just cause I play grand theft auto doesn't mean I shoot hookers on my spare time... Plus, if someone is really that sick, they will find a way to kill people, whether it's a knife, gun, bomb, it will still happen

Edited by Rhino1909, 18 December 2012 - 11:18 PM.

#6 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

Also,in China,I believe about 30 kids were stabbed and killed in a school a few days after the shooting.And where did I hear about it?On facebook.I understand that it is a different country,but seriously.

#7 `kook

`kook

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:12 AM

It brings in ratings. It's as simple as that.

It's unfortunate because it just shows every psycho out there that if they want to be known, they just have to go and kill a bunch of people. That's what this much coverage does. it glorifies mass murder in a very dark way and it is true. If you want to be remembered in our culture, mass murder will 100% make you remembered.

Edited by `kook, 19 December 2012 - 03:12 AM.

It's all about the game and how you play it, All about control and if you can take it
All about your debt and if you can pay it, It's all about pain and who's gonna make it

#8 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,830 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:00 AM

"Eye on the TV
'cause tragedy thrills me
Whatever flavour
It happens to be like;
Killed by the husband
Drowned by the ocean
Shot by his own son
She used the poison in his tea
And kissed him goodbye
That's my kind of story
It's no fun 'til someone dies"

Maynard sums up the news industry quite well in my opinion.

Edited by Antonious, 19 December 2012 - 06:08 AM.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#9 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,360 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:28 PM

It was actually the second largest, look up the Virginia Tech shooting if you haven't heard of it. But like mentioned above, it's treated differently because he killed primarily children, defenseless and nowhere to run. And everyone who came face-to-face with the shooter was killed, and that doesn't happen.

I've heard about the VT one, but my history teacher said it was the worst in history, so I kinda believed him, because you know, he's a history teacher.

Also,in China,I believe about 30 kids were stabbed and killed in a school a few days after the shooting.And where did I hear about it?On facebook.I understand that it is a different country,but seriously.

I heard about it

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users