23 replies to this topic

#1 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:16 PM

So, as in the title, how have you contributed to expanding paintball? You, except for being on TechPB and helping out newbies who went to the right forums for help starting out. I mean more locally, with people you see in person.
Ill start.
I have recently introduced around 4-5 people to the sport per month and got 2/5 of those people hooked, and I help them with techniques, how to play better, and recommend good gear so they dont buy the wrong stuff. I also convinced my school administration to allow us to put flyers around if they want to join our paintball club (everything is done outside of school, no affiliation other than us advertising there), thanks to Mike by the way, and I bring out even more people into the sport, and get people who ocassionally play to constantly play and bring more of their friends and relatives to go play. Just yesterday I brought out a group of 16 to go out and play at the field as a private party, most of them it was their first time. At the field when Im not brining new people, ill sometimes hop into the beginners group with maybe only a pump or a squeegie and help out the team by teaching them how to play better. If someones gun go wrong in the staging area, my group of friends who are regulars and I help them find the problem, and, if possible, fix it on the spot. If we cant, we lend out a gun if we have one available.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#2 iStansbury77

iStansbury77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

I hand out sponsorship coupons and shit to kids and offer advice. maybye let them shoot my gun a little. But working with them as a team and making them feel ideal to the game makes them feel they need to come back to the field again, and again to have the same experiance :D
Please Check out my YouTube profile, I greatly appretiate views on my PB video that are 1080p
www.youtube.com/rkfilms365
No Really My vids are Sexy

#3 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,066 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

I let kids shoot my markers, one ball newbies and help out with markers that went down.

#4 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,310 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:37 PM

I work at a field, and help tech guns whenever possible.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#5 Tai28

Tai28

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

I got 4 of my friends into paintball, they are hooked and when they get nice gear we plan to make a team :)

#6 dertydood

dertydood

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:10 PM

I went shirtless during a game of hyper ball, and let a group of five or so 12 year olds gang up on me. They had a ton of fun and did a very good job blasting the hell out of me Posted Image

They had a good time and felt like they were hot stuff taking down an experienced player with an electronic gun such as myself (I only one balled them, and had a single hopper full.)

It's important to give newbies some no-pressure situations so that they can develop and become more confident.
Swap my Ego 11 parts! OG green for white, black, silver etc.... http://www.techpb.co...1

My feedback- http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=217960-

#7 NBTIppy

NBTIppy

Sterling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

I play it, which in turn causes me to spend much of my hard earned money on the game. What the companies do with that money isn't up to me.

#8 madsnipes

madsnipes

CARNAGE 3!!!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:12 PM

so far ive got about 4 or 5 friends into paintball and helped out more renters then i can count

#9 Pump Player

Pump Player

Voted techpb's #1 sloth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • Location:Lutz fl, blitzkrieg paintball, orbital paintball, central Florida paintball

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:45 AM

I help people trying out pump now, we need more pump players!

2011 proto rail + Pinokio! --- http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=222130

#10 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • 11,496 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:06 AM

politely inviting people who you know, to come out and play is the most powerful way to grow the sport.

It's how I got into it, it's how a overwhelming majority got into paintball

"yea I usually play just about every weekend. Want to come out? I'll be going on Saturday, I got everything you need, no worries!"

#11 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:09 AM

This isn't what i did but is how i got into paintball. Inviting friends or classmates for a party usually gets a lot of people in.

#12 sonicx059

sonicx059

Killer of Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

politely inviting people who you know, to come out and play is the most powerful way to grow the sport.

It's how I got into it, it's how a overwhelming majority got into paintball

"yea I usually play just about every weekend. Want to come out? I'll be going on Saturday, I got everything you need, no worries!"

Curious as to who was the person that invited Mike to play.

As far as myself I help give safety briefs and answer questions(within my ability to do so) on the field.

Willing to help out at the field but most of the time they tell me that "You paid to play so we couldn't have you working"

602420_508306232582957_760957084_n.jpg

#13 FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

I started my own field and invited all my friends. Over the years I have gotten well over 100 players into the sport. I typically have at least 3 brand new players at my events. I have 5 of my "borrow" markers requested for Saturday from new players. And I set them up like my marker, so they get a nice marker, typically with an Apex barrel, so they can play with good gear. I also have decent masks, and I clean them before every event. I have also figured out a way to film paintball where people can SEE the hits. Which give new people a better idea of what games are like. So they can watch and see before they play.

Best part is, I don't charge a dime for anything. So my friends get the chance to play without it costing a ton of money. So guys with tight budgets can still enjoy a day of paintball with their friends.

#14 pb28188

pb28188

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:39 PM

I Try to invite atleast 5 new people a month.... Usually 1-2 a weekend

#15 alexdiaz1994

alexdiaz1994

Big Bear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

I instruct free gun teching and basic skill clinics at the field i work at every saturday

#16 TNpaintballer99

TNpaintballer99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

I have gotten three of my friends into paintball. I am getting a new setup and going to start bringing friends out and let them use my older setup. This is a good thread. I was thinking about making one, but you beat me to it haha.
\Posted Image

#17 PandasEverywhere

PandasEverywhere

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

I got people hooked on paintball but once they started looking into it they saw the cost and have gotten very hesitant. Any tips on how to get the people to make the leap and buy some gear? The two of them have jobs and both enjoyed playing when I took them out but they do not want to spend $50+ a week on the sport. I told them they could be like a lot of people and just play when you have the cash (1 or 2 times a month).

#18 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

I almost single-handedly grew my outlaw-ball group from about 8 people to nearly 50 back in high school. If I had any money at the time, I would have tried to create my own field for it since we didn't have any local ones.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#19 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

I got people hooked on paintball but once they started looking into it they saw the cost and have gotten very hesitant. Any tips on how to get the people to make the leap and buy some gear? The two of them have jobs and both enjoyed playing when I took them out but they do not want to spend $50+ a week on the sport. I told them they could be like a lot of people and just play when you have the cash (1 or 2 times a month).

You could tell them to slowly buy the gear whenever they have the cash, and in the meantime lend them some of your gear so they know what they'd be buying.

#20 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

i don't play enough rec ball to do that. I play mostly tournies and I don't think people want me to help them after I overshoot them to make sure their out. :(
109.gif

#21 Carolus Rex

Carolus Rex

I won at life once.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

Well, I lured my mother and her boyfriend into the sport. They will be buying their own setup soon. Which will consist of a Inspire Havoc/Azodin Kaos, 48/3000 and E-flexes. And i've brought about 10 friends in total to come play. I wish the rental price would be a little lower than 55 bucks for a Tippmann 98, mask, overall and a bag of paint.

And i take it easy on pretty much everyone. Doesn't matter if it's a regular or a guy playing for the first time. I rather not shoot and miss a potential elimination, than overshoot somebody.

o8qo.jpg

#22 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

Well, I lured my mother and her boyfriend into the sport. They will be buying their own setup soon. Which will consist of a Inspire Havoc/Azodin Kaos, 48/3000 and E-flexes. And i've brought about 10 friends in total to come play. I wish the rental price would be a little lower than 55 bucks for a Tippmann 98, mask, overall and a bag of paint.

And i take it easy on pretty much everyone. Doesn't matter if it's a regular or a guy playing for the first time. I rather not shoot and miss a potential elimination, than overshoot somebody.

Just this weekend, I eavesdropped on some refs at my field that started arguing when they saw me move over to the Beginner's bracket(I had to, I brought 3 guys over to play and they really wanted me to go with them and help them). One was a newer one, and another was one that was there a lot. This is how the gist of the conversation went:
NewRef: Hey Ryan(owner of the field) told me that guy is good, and he's freaking D3! He should be in this group, the beginners are going to get pissed cause he'll probably overshoot or play too hard on these guys!
RegularRef: Oh that guy? He's Edward, man. Don't worry about him. He's by far one of the nicest players on the field. He always goes easy on beginners. Last weekend he even let himself get shot out so it would boost their confidence. He either surrenders guys or doesn't even play with a gun! He'll shoot their foot or near it to call them out! Hell, he even gave his marker to a player on the other team when the kid ran out of air! Don't worry, he's a good guy.

Well it was much longer than that, but those were the main points of it. I felt proud that that was my reputation at my local field.

#23 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

Just this weekend, I eavesdropped on some refs at my field that started arguing when they saw me move over to the Beginner's bracket(I had to, I brought 3 guys over to play and they really wanted me to go with them and help them). One was a newer one, and another was one that was there a lot. This is how the gist of the conversation went:

NewRef: Hey Ryan(owner of the field) told me that guy is good, and he's freaking D3! He should be in this group, the beginners are going to get pissed cause he'll probably overshoot or play too hard on these guys!
RegularRef: Oh that guy? He's Edward, man. Don't worry about him. He's by far one of the nicest players on the field. He always goes easy on beginners. Last weekend he even let himself get shot out so it would boost their confidence. He either surrenders guys or doesn't even play with a gun! He'll shoot their foot or near it to call them out! Hell, he even gave his marker to a player on the other team when the kid ran out of air! Don't worry, he's a good guy.
Well it was much longer than that, but those were the main points of it. I felt proud that that was my reputation at my local field.

NewRef: Hey Ryan(owner of the field) told me that guy is good, and he's freaking D2! He should be in this group, the beginners are going to get pissed cause he'll probably overshoot or play too hard on these guys!
RegularRef: Oh that guy? Yea he's an asshole man. We should worry about him. He's by far one of the merciless players on the field. He never goes easy on beginners. Last weekend he even overshot so it would lower their confidence. He either overshoots guys or doesn't let them play with a gun! He'll shoot their crotch or near it to call them out! Hell, he even took a marker from a player on the other team when he ran out of air! He's a horrible guy.
Is how it would have went if I were in your shoes... jk I'm not that mean lol
109.gif

#24 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

Life's too short to drive boring cars

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

Try to be a cool guy when I'm at the field. I jump on the field with a bunch of nebies every now and then, becuase I'm a lazy fuck and don't always check who's on the field before I walk out there.
Usually, I play as normal nut try as hard as I can nto to overshoot anyone. Usually it's alright and the kids can brag how they played against an experienced player.

When I started, that was the coolest shit ever, to play against the guys who know their shit and have played for years.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users