• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Garribean

Garribean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:46 PM

I'm just wondering as to what to you guys think it takes to be a better player? Better than average.

Mike says you have to aggressive, be moving up the field without being afraid of getting out. Currently I'm more tactical and kinda sit back and wait. But this weekend I'm gonna leroy jenkins it!

#2 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,360 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:57 PM

Time and money.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#3 Garribean

Garribean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

Time and money.

Well I am an 18 Year old College student with a job. Go to a JC and only have school 4 days a week :D I have every Sunday to play.
But I don't make enough to play EVERY weekend, but I can go twice a month.

#4 PrimeTimePred

PrimeTimePred

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

I agree Moving up is key but Communication with ur team is ESSENTIAL to becoming "better" IMO...

#5 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,360 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

Time and money.

Well I am an 18 Year old College student with a job. Go to a JC and only have school 4 days a week :D I have every Sunday to play.
But I don't make enough to play EVERY weekend, but I can go twice a month.

Forgot to mention a job with a very flexible schedule.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#6 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:23 PM

first off, you need to assess what your weaknesses are, and attack those

Do you suck at running and gunning? Shooting left handed? Pushing up hard? Panicking under pressure? Sliding? Reloading?

You need to sit and think about all the many things that comprise of a multi-talented player, and attack those weaknesses. When I REALLY wanted to learn how to shoot left handed, I spent 6 months, ONLY using my left hand at least 90% of the time. I always ran to the left, laned the left side, reloaded while shooting with my left hand, snap shot with my left hand, constantly using my left hand.

Once you get some of the basics worked out, the next thing is aggressiveness. ANYONE can sit in the back and not do shit, anyone. But being aggressive, even when you get shot out, starts honing your instincts. Yea you'll get shot out, but you'll sit and reflect on what you did wrong, and after a month or two, you'll start to get a "second sense" of when to move, and when not to move. You start to become more conscious of when people are shooting at you, and from where they are shooting at you.

This is why I'm an above average back-player. I can lane really well from the back, but I can also play mid on EITHER side (snake or dorito), and I can also feel comfortable playing front on either side. Now, I'm not a super-star at it, I'm not amazing at it, but I can play the position and close out games. I may not win them all, but you sure as shit won't see me caught in back center from start to finish, I'm going to move and try to do something to win the game.

Need me to play X? I can do that too!

It's not being perfect at everything, but at least comfortable, that's the foundation you need to be a better player

#7 darthp

darthp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

First after Mike. Also that's about as good as advice gets.
FEEDBACK +10

"Inspiration, by it's definition, comes very quickly." - Jack Wood

#8 fatalreaction

fatalreaction

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:46 AM

i agree with aggressiveness, however i'll say it also say patience and a bit of analytical ability, heres the thing your going to get shot, thats the nature of the game, and you'll win some and lose some. its how you break down the game afterward. and knowing when to be aggressive and when to bide your time.

Some guys say its best to die going forward... well that depends on your role for that game, don't just throw yourself away in the game by not being patient.

Perfect example of this is to think of the guys who get shot out running in the flag when an opponent comes out of the box, a lot of times its the aggression and loss of patience/focus that gets them shot in the face.

i guess the big things IMO are patience, a willingness to strike at the most opportune time, and like mike said working on your own short comings as a player...

#9 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:55 AM

Aggressiveness is key, as with constant communication and echoing. Playing today recball, no one was talking on any team. So later I taught my team how to do basic communication, and it helped our team so much; I was snapping left and right at guys my teammates called out. Also, learn to always be looking or aiming SOMEWHERE. If your not watching in some direction or at some bunker, talking, or shooting at someone, your useless. Switching hands is a biggie too. Also, think smartly under pressure, basically take a split moment to think about a better choice instead of just snapping constantly at each other till one gets out. Angles are a biggie too; if you can help it, never look directly forward

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#10 Cossak11

Cossak11

That guy who blasts Celtic rock when he enters the field.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:08 AM

I'm looking at this from a woodsballer perspective here.

Communication-otherwise your team can't or won't help you

Adaptability-when something inevitably screws up your strategy, you have to be able to change thwe startegy.

A cool head- Aggressiveness is just as important in woodsball, but sometimes taking an extra half-second to scope the field can give you options you never knew you had.

And finally a good OODA loop- Observe Orient Decide Act. This helps with every situational aspect and affects all of the previous traits

We deal in paint friend.

Commander 11th Michigan paintball volunteers AKA The Obsidian Knights

#11 sagestylerpb

sagestylerpb

Colorado Baller

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

Like everything else, practice.
8/0/0

Are we doing Satan's work? Absolutely

Been scammed? PM a mod :)

#12 Freyzen

Freyzen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

I have a problem of moving around. Like mike said I should really work on my weaknesses. Which would be the aggressiveness.

#13 Irish725

Irish725

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:37 AM

It's all about minimizing the weaknesses, and forcing them to become strengths, pretty much exactly like Mike said.

IrishBanner2_zps537819c4.png

Veteran of Living Legends V and VI...looking forward to LL VII! 

#14 NBTIppy

NBTIppy

Sterling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:56 AM

Play against players who are way better than you. Once you get your ass handed to you a few times you will start picking up what they are doing to shoot you out so fast, and what you are doing wrong that makes you an easy kill.

#15 madsnipes

madsnipes

CARNAGE 3!!!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,055 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:46 AM

Play against players who are way better than you. Once you get your ass handed to you a few times you will start picking up what they are doing to shoot you out so fast, and what you are doing wrong that makes you an easy kill.

this was how i got good

#16 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,830 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:15 AM

Situational awareness is what I find many newer players lacking.
Quite often I find myself being able to easily outflank newer players because they get so tunnel-visioned that they quickly lose track of what's behind them and beside them.
Rarely do I ever get flanked or surprised by somebody because I always take account for how many are on their team, how many are out, and how many people I can see. If there's somebody left unaccounted for, my head is always on a swivel looking for them.

Edited by Antonious, 12 January 2013 - 01:16 AM.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#17 nighthunter

nighthunter

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:50 AM

this was how i got good

I learned most of my snapshooting skills on a slow day when the only two people at the field besides me were a couple of really good pump players who kicked my butt in every single game, then showed me how to make my butt less kickable.

nighthuntersig_edited-1.png

Using a gun that's been hardly maintained and tossed from person to person more than a village whore is hardly a fair way to compare the marker.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users