• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Viut

Viut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:40 AM

Im buying a Mid Range Gun But im focusing on these two markers. Can someone Help me find a good buy?

#2 cybermaniac15

cybermaniac15

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,450 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:01 AM

Well you made another thread on how you were impressed by the drone, so what's wrong with getting a drone?

#3 akt22

akt22

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:01 AM

if new, go with the drone dx.

They just dropped to 430, which is a great deal.

Upgrade to a clone board/OLED screen, clone grips, vp trigger will total to about 620.

Leaves you about 50 extra compared to buying an axe pro.

#4 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:12 PM

Upgrade to a clone board/OLED screen, clone grips, vp trigger will total to about 620.

If i am not mistaken, the vp trigger doesn't work on the drone. The only aftermarket trigger that does is the critical trigger.

#5 akt22

akt22

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

If i am not mistaken, the vp trigger doesn't work on the drone. The only aftermarket trigger that does is the critical trigger.

I could have sworn that was the case, but either way you're still saving a bit.

#6 chamberlaincole

chamberlaincole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

axe and drone shoot equally as smooth, trigger is easier, im my opinion, on the axe. opposed to the drone but both awesome guns. i like my axe more because maintence is a slice of pie! basically its down to looks becuase they both shoot and play the same!

#7 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

I would say the drone has a better shot and is a tad bit quieter from my experience but the axe trigger is a little better. Drone maintenance is really easy and the parts don't look intimidating. You open the back cap, pull out this metal thing, unscrew it, and inside there are two pieces. There are only 4 pieces to it and one moving piece. I can't say anything about the axe because i don't own one but the drone has easy maintenance just remember not to use too much lube.

#8 push

push

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

How is the drone with the critical trigger compared to the stock axe trigger? I'm looking to get either a drone with critical or an axe. It looks like all said and done the drone would be $480ish, and I could pick up an axe for $370, is it worth the extra $110? My only two gripes I saw with the axe are the eyes if a ball were to chop (how big of a PITA is it to clean them at the field) and the non-user maintainable reg. Anyone have experience with both? I prefer the PSP mode of the axe over the goofy macdev "PSP".

#9 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

About the trigger on the drone the stock isn't that bad just noisy but still very walkable. The critical trigger is a little smoother and comfy. I would imagine having to clean the eyes on the axe to be annoying but chops rarely occur. I never get chops, just barrel breaks.

#10 Matrixrail_Louie

Matrixrail_Louie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:21 AM

Axe
Posted Image

2012 Proto Reflex Rail & Empire z2 for sale- http://www.techpb.co...0

#11 Pbmcdev

Pbmcdev

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:04 PM

How is the drone with the critical trigger compared to the stock axe trigger? I'm looking to get either a drone with critical or an axe. It looks like all said and done the drone would be $480ish, and I could pick up an axe for $370, is it worth the extra $110? My only two gripes I saw with the axe are the eyes if a ball were to chop (how big of a PITA is it to clean them at the field) and the non-user maintainable reg. Anyone have experience with both? I prefer the PSP mode of the axe over the goofy macdev "PSP".

the drone critical trigger is amazing in my opinion. (I have it)

#12 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:29 PM

I have experience with them both at the field. THe drone will still shoot smoother and quieter at the field. Axe is a little strange to hold as well. The barrel of the axe is not good so add the money you would use to get a new barrel. CLeaning a chop at home wouldn't be bad but at the field it would suck because you have to waste valuable playing time to take apart the axe, clean it, and then reassemble. IMO the only thing that axe has over the drone is the trigger and psp mode. THe trigger on the drone can be replaced which rules out the trigger weakness. THe pep mode on the drone won't hurt you that much. Instead of being able to shoot 3 balls in one trigger pull in the one second timeframe, you can still shoot 4 balls in two trigger pulls.

#13 legitpro808

legitpro808

Living the HI life

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

Axe with a lurker bolt is amazingly smooth and soft
Axe Conglomerate v3
Repping the 808 State! Oahu Grown

#14 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

200lb of unpredictable coming to hunt ya ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,609 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

Takes all of 10 minutes to clean a chop on a mini, probably way quicker on the axe, take off the bolt guide clean it, swab thru the body, if eyes don't work q tip it, pit it back, re chrono and done
gnUDL.png
See my about me for useful things like feedback!

#15 gibbeepbroxzor

gibbeepbroxzor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

The ramping on the Drone DX isn't "goofy". Yes, I watched Mike's review. I disagree with what he says. The board has true PSP ramping on it. What people I guess don't realize, is that there is PSP Ramping, and PSP 3 Shot Ramping. Two slightly different modes. People used to use it all the time though, many boards came with both back like pre 2008. People just realized one was slightly more useful.

#16 push

push

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

The ramping on the Drone DX isn't "goofy". Yes, I watched Mike's review. I disagree with what he says. The board has true PSP ramping on it. What people I guess don't realize, is that there is PSP Ramping, and PSP 3 Shot Ramping. Two slightly different modes. People used to use it all the time though, many boards came with both back like pre 2008. People just realized one was slightly more useful.

Yes, it is. I don't really care what you call it, everyone and their mom runs it one way, and macdev goes and does it another. I want the ability to 3 ball within the 1 second time period, not have to pull the trigger twice to get back to throw extra paint down field. If it came with both I'd have a drone right now, the fact that it isn't even option to use traditional PSP is silly.

#17 Pbmcdev

Pbmcdev

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

Yes, it is. I don't really care what you call it, everyone and their mom runs it one way, and macdev goes and does it another. I want the ability to 3 ball within the 1 second time period, not have to pull the trigger twice to get back to throw extra paint down field. If it came with both I'd have a drone right now, the fact that it isn't even option to use traditional PSP is silly.

the drone is more reliable than an axe. you dont need to upgrade it to make it perform well like an axe

#18 xmagman

xmagman

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

Both guns are rock solid performers. Maintenance on them is about equal and performance is nearly the same. I honestly dont think you can go wrong with either one. Each have their quirks it just all comes down to preference.
-X

Shooting MacDev guns since 2006!

#19 push

push

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

the drone is more reliable than an axe. you dont need to upgrade it to make it perform well like an axe

How are you defining reliable? Both are going to be reliable guns, I don't think one is going to leave you stranded noticeably more than the other. The axe has it's set of pros and cons, as does the drone. Some objective, but mostly subjective. I love the trigger on the axe, with the drone you are looking at a $50 upgrade to get one on par with the factory axe (in my opinion). But then again, the reg on the drone is more easily serviceable than the axe reg. Bottom line is you can't go wrong with either gun and there is no clear winner. It's akin to the "what is better, the iOS 6 or Android Jellybean," you'll find plenty of opinions, but it's really all up to the user which is "best."

The "OMG you have to have a new bolt, spring, barrel, feedneck, grip extender, etc" phenomenon you see with the axe is probably one of the most exaggerated things in paintball just behind "freezing" paint. Sure, you can, but it really isn't needed, it shoots great out of the box. It's just a more popular (cheaper) gun, and so it's a given people will mod it.

Edited by push, 09 January 2013 - 12:34 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users