• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Cheesedawg

Cheesedawg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

I'm looking to pick up a barrel using some gift cards I got for Christmas and I am looking athttp://www.amazon.co...m=AOQ0UIXWN0N1Z this barrel, and have 2 questions about this.

First, I need to purchase a couple of inserts to go with this barrel, like thishttp://www.amazon.co..._sc_act_title_5 correct?

Second, why is it not recommended to use swabs on these barrels? I assume a squeegee would be the only option for cleaning it in that case.

#2 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

Yes, you do need inserts, and I don't know why you wouldn't be able to use a swab.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#3 Cheesedawg

Cheesedawg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

It appears that using a cotton swab can result in dirt scratching the barrel or catching on the porting, and I was wondering if that was a common issue or just something to be avoided.

#4 XxJellyFilledxX

XxJellyFilledxX

Lead Farmer.

• Chat Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:09 PM

you can use regular swabs with dw without any issues.

"You can't break a man the way you break a dog or a horse. The harder you beat a man, the taller he stands. To break a man's will, to break his spirit, you have to break his mind."

#5 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

200lb of unpredictable coming to hunt ya ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,697 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:21 PM

you can use regular swabs with dw without any issues.

Pretty much, and yes OP othose goes together, but look into SS inserts, they are much better than SS. Hence thats why my electros get the AA barrel and alum inserts and my pump gets the best the DW and SS inserts
gnUDL.png
See my about me for useful things like feedback!

#6 Nokified

Nokified

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:19 AM

Idk does it matter if the inserts are alum or steel?
Btw I think deadly wind fibur barrels comes with freak inserts. Alum inserts for that matter. And i think theyve fix the using of swabs in cf barrels

#7 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:55 AM

Btw I think deadly wind fibur barrels comes with freak inserts. Alum inserts for that matter. And i think theyve fix the using of swabs in cf barrels

The SS inserts are truer to their sizing (i.e. a .680 is a .680 instead of an aluminum insert that says .680 being a .678). The SS inserts are also stronger and do not dent when they are dropped.

#8 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

200lb of unpredictable coming to hunt ya ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,697 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:47 AM

The SS inserts are truer to their sizing (i.e. a .680 is a .680 instead of an aluminum insert that says .680 being a .678). The SS inserts are also stronger and do not dent when they are dropped.

Hit it right on the nail, also I haven't heard of any DW barrels snapping from core samples
gnUDL.png
See my about me for useful things like feedback!

#9 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

You can use swabs with a carbon fiber barrel easy. No problem there. And yes, you need to buy inserts for the deadlywinds. I have one, and I think its awesome cause its like a carbon fiber freak barrel.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#10 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,840 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:06 AM

Yes, the insert you have pictured is what you need for a DW barrel.
On older carbon fiber barrels, swabs used to catch on the fibers and ruin the barrels. Nowadays, carbon fiber barrels (including the DW) are much more refined and can take a swab with no issues.
As for aluminum vs stainless steel inserts, I've been using the aluminum inserts for years now without any issues whatsoever. If you take care of your gear, it'll last.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users