7 replies to this topic

#1 dangersnake

dangersnake

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:17 PM

My internet will go on at random times and shut off at random times. Also 70% of every call of duty match I join it says "connection interrupted" for a good 10 seconds. And thisll happen to all devices using wifi. So should I buy a new thing from best buy? I have a belkin router. Or should I call time warner cable and ask for a new modem?

#2 Stix

Stix

TechPB Lurker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

Where do you live and what ISP do you have? I know here on Long Island where I live, and with VZ FiOS I've been having horrible issues because of some nodes that were damaged by Sandy.
xfire-stix9693
Ps3 - SLYGATHOR (LittleBigPlanet, Burnout Paradise, Team Fortress2, Killzone 2)
Wii - 5318 0896 2208 0310
Steam - slygathore
Building a computer is like playing with Legos, the pieces only fit one way
Posted Image

#3 SWOballer

SWOballer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

Are you sure your service has enough bandwidth for gaming? From your post it sounds like you have a cable ISP but it my be a low level service that can't keep up with high use. I would start there, then if you know you have a good enough service I would try running a direct cable from the router to your console and see if you loose your connection. If a direct connection is solid then you have either a bad router (replace it with a N router) or the wireless nic in your console is bunk.

Also, if you have a laptop in the house go to a speed test site and test the wireless signal, that can tell you alot right there.

I use this one Speed Test

I should also add that if you have a bad connection directly off the modem then there is a better chance of the cable that is feeding your service being bad than there is with the modem being defective. If your service isn't stable then you are best to book a service call with your provider.

Edited by SWOballer, 26 December 2012 - 05:17 PM.

Cake Bakers United!

#4 slinkyaroo

slinkyaroo

Yes, I'm old. Yes, I'm cranky.

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

Plug your computer right into your modem and try it for awhile. That will tell you. Remember that wifi is effected by outside environments. Weather, other wifis and other things like cordless phones (things working on same frequency ie 900 MHz) will have have an effect.

Traditionally between 4-6 pm local is the worst because gamers got out of school.

#5 dangersnake

dangersnake

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

Where do you live and what ISP do you have? I know here on Long Island where I live, and with VZ FiOS I've been having horrible issues because of some nodes that were damaged by Sandy.

Milwaukee wisconsin. And if ISP means internet service provider it would be Time Warner cable.

#6 dangersnake

dangersnake

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:30 PM

Are you sure your service has enough bandwidth for gaming? From your post it sounds like you have a cable ISP but it my be a low level service that can't keep up with high use. I would start there, then if you know you have a good enough service I would try running a direct cable from the router to your console and see if you loose your connection. If a direct connection is solid then you have either a bad router (replace it with a N router) or the wireless nic in your console is bunk.

Also, if you have a laptop in the house go to a speed test site and test the wireless signal, that can tell you alot right there.

I use this one Speed Test

I should also add that if you have a bad connection directly off the modem then there is a better chance of the cable that is feeding your service being bad than there is with the modem being defective. If your service isn't stable then you are best to book a service call with your provider.

I bought a new 90$ router, it worked for a good 20 minutes and now its back to what my last one did. My last router gave me these results. NAT TYPE 2, UPNP: AVAILABLE, DOWNLOAD SPEED: 11.6MBP'S, UPLOAD: 820.4KBPS and I had perfect connection in all games I played online COD,MGO,BF3, ECT... so I think my bandwidth was good enough for everything, and I doubt its my card in the console because I have 2 ps3s one upstairs and one a few inches from the router. Both having the same problem. Now this is what my new router is giving me NAT TYPE 2, UPNP: NOT AVAILABLE, DOWNLOAD: 3.5MBPS, UPLOAD: 712.6KBPS. Also on my old router a 1GB downlpad took less then 10 minutes. On my new router its taking 25+ minutes for a 1GB download.

I did that speed test on my phone and it set my closet service to arlington heights IL, and I got 10mbps, and when I changed it to where I live Milwaukee, WI. I got 4mbps.

Ill be calling my provider tomorrow.

Edited by dangersnake, 26 December 2012 - 11:58 PM.

#7 slinkyaroo

slinkyaroo

Yes, I'm old. Yes, I'm cranky.

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:22 AM

Many ISP now slow play heavier users. They purposely decrease speed during peek hours to some on unlimited plans. They claim they never guarantee speed.

Now there can be other reasons. I added an extender here because of drop off.

#8 dangersnake

dangersnake

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

Thanks guys, but it was a burnt out cord in my basement. I feel dumb now lol.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users