23 replies to this topic

#1 PrimeTimePred

PrimeTimePred

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

I have finally (recently) warmed my girlfriend up to the idea of me playing paintball. Instead of the constant nag of how "much of a waste of money it is", she realizes that its something thats fun for me (good hobby, etc.) ...keep in mind that she is very athletic, played alot of sports, likes shooting just hasnt grasped the idea how fun it will be to shoot SOMEBODY with paintballs yet... Soooo here's my plan:

I'm going to buy her a gun, undecided on which one so far but im leaning towards a mini mainly because she's about 5'2, no macro line and its definitely a good stater marker that i can get cheap.... I'll need another hopper for her and im really contemplating a black spire...ive already got a spare 45/45 she can have and a great spare mask so im good there... But to make it girly and fit her taste im thinking about getting a freak barrel with a pink back and maybe some new grips just to show i really put some thought into it ;)

If this backfires and she hates it my backup will be to keep the spire (because i want one anyway) re-sell the mini because i'll be leaning towards a black gun anyway, and swap the barrel back for a black and just stick it on my gun lol (so it wouldnt be a huge loss)

U guys have any advice on ANYTHING? Gun/hopper choice, etc.? Ways to go about it? I know she will love paintball, she just needs to get out and try it, and i feel like having her own setup will REALLY help

#2 gibbeepbroxzor

gibbeepbroxzor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

She should probably play at least once before you go and buy her a setup.

#3 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:46 AM

This,because she may decide she just doesn't like paintball.

#4 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

the first time she gets hit with a paintball, that gun will be in the BST

don't force her, imagine if she was a recreational accordion player, and bought you an accordion to play, and wanted to bring you to an accordion club to meet other accordion players

It's the same thing

Yes paintball is fun for YOU, but it's not fun for everyone, which is why it's such a small sport. 99% of the reason why she'll come out and try to play, is because you're nagging her to do it. 1% is actual curiosity

Invite her, don't get pissed if she doesn't want to play. If she thinks it's a waste of time and a waste of money, she's the one who is a waste of time. Any girl/woman who does not respect your hobbies and interest, does not respect you as a person. I'm not trying to give you relationship advice, but ANY girl I've dated that started with that "Why do you ______________________ so much, it's such a waste of time and money" ended up being a complete pain in the ass, and I was pretty happy to toss that chick to the curb and let some other guy deal with that shit.

Jenn quickly learned, that anything that she questioned or interrogated me on, was done 10x more to make a point.

"Why did you buy that motorcycle?" was answered with "I dunno... now I'm wondering why I'm going to spend $3,000 on it this weekend for worthless upgrades"
"Why did you get another RC car, what's wrong with the one you have?" was answered with "Not sure, I was going to just drive it in the backyard for fun, but now I'm realizing that I want to race now, so I'll need 3 more along with hundreds of dollars in upgrades and I'll be at the track every weekend, and maybe twice a week for practice"
"Why did you buy another computer?" was answered with "Well my old one wasn't running the latest videos game too well... but now I'm realizing that I should have gotten the $4,000 computer, instead of the $1,500 one, so I'll be returning this one for another one three times the price"

Don't EVER put up with that shit from women, and women shouldn't put up with that shit from men either. Women blow cash faster and harder than you can ever realize, they'll go to the store for milk, and come home with a pair of Christian Louboutan shoes just because they were "on sale" for 10% off. When you make your own money, you can spend it however you wish.

The next time she gives you a hard time, just say something to the effect of "I don't question your passions and hobbies, don't question mine. I'm sure there are millions of guys out there who would love to have a girlfriend interrogate them and grill them on the shit they buy with their own hard earned money, but I'm not one of them."

I can promise you, if you quit paintball and started saving all of your money and putting it into a savings account, she's be telling you - "Why do you put so much money into the bank? Why don't you spend it on things... or on me

#5 gibbeepbroxzor

gibbeepbroxzor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:07 AM

Also, just throwing in the link to a thread thats pretty helpful http://www.techpb.co... paintball&st=0

#6 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,121 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:40 AM

don't
The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

#7 G4paintballer

G4paintballer

Gun/gear whore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,862 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

don't

Exactly my thoughts.
Current setup: WGP Trilogy, CCM S6, Ion Xe
Feedback 10/0/0

#8 iStansbury77

iStansbury77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:08 PM

I wouldent do that for her before she even played, take her once and see if she likes it
Please Check out my YouTube profile, I greatly appretiate views on my PB video that are 1080p
www.youtube.com/rkfilms365
No Really My vids are Sexy

#9 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

Take her out there a few times and let her use YOUR marker. I took my girlfriend out paintballing and it took her to the 3rd time before she started to like it.

Be a man, give her your gear i.e. pants, marker, and most importantly MASK if she does go with you.

#10 erg993

erg993

Poke' Baller

• BST Moderator
  • 7,664 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:28 PM

Don't buy anything before you know she wants to play. The best case scenario is to offer to take her to play with you sometime. If she says yes, either borrow a friends setup for her, or let her use your stuff and you rent/borrow from a friend. Take it slow, stay by her side all day, don't let her get destroyed, etc. If she wants to keep playing, you'll know.

I've gotten my girlfriend to play with me before, and she had fun the one time she went, but that was it, ONE time. Even though she doesn't have a desire to play, she's totally fine with me playing, and is supportive of me playing because she knows it's something I love to do. You're not always going to find a girl who will go play Paintball with you, and if she doesn't play no big deal. Like Mike said, if she doesn't want to play, don't make her, but don't put up with getting crap for doing something you love to do.

Edited by erg993, 27 December 2012 - 12:29 PM.

Feedback

JT Replacement Foam - http://tinyurl.com/kwscalp

#11 FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

We have quite a few women who play at my field. Some try it once, and never play again, others play almost every time we have an event. It just depends on the person. My oldest daughter started playing at 10. She played quite a few times over the years but it wasn't that "fun" for her. So she rarely plays anymore. (even though she is quite good as you can see in this video where she shoots ME out (yeah, she wanted to be on the OTHER team to try and take me out...) And then she got my teams flag!

My youngest played her first time a few events ago with one of her friends, and she had fun. But, when she was done for the day, I stopped playing and took her home (not a big deal since my field is in my backyard...) But, you don't want to make someone new play longer than they want to! When they are ready to go, leave!

She said she wants to play this Saturday again, and her friend isn't even coming... So that is a good sign! Just don't force it on her, and let HER decide if she wants to play or not. I let her use a new 98 custom with an Apex 2 barrel. Which is a good starter gun. Here she is playing one game where I asked if they wanted to go to the other teams flag... As they stayed back and guarded the base for the first few games, until they were ready to go after the flag.

Edited by FreeEnterprise, 27 December 2012 - 01:46 PM.

#12 PrimeTimePred

PrimeTimePred

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:19 PM

Thanks for all the feedback guys, this is why i love our techpb family: no sugar coating and only straightforward advice. I see things a little clearer now and will hold off on the gun and see how things go, i hope i didnt make it sound like i was going to "force" paintball on her (DID NOT mean to give off that impression)... Not gonna lie tho, that spire might just get purchased regardless lol

#13 Cheeks

Cheeks

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

My girlfriend loves paintball. But its taken her a few times. Just make sure you remember she is a girl. And they will be just as difficult as they usually are. Even out on the field...

#14 ChrisHazard

ChrisHazard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:28 PM

getting your gf into paintball is a double edged sword to me.. I got mine to go once, she got hooked.. we both play every weekend until winter, she has never touched a Tippmann or BT marker, I let her use my second Vanguard Creed and she has never looked back, infact she is buying a Demon soon!

the pros:

doesn't bitch when you go play often because she likes to play as well
she is actually pretty badass and a valuable asset
everyone likes girls....mostly..
easy to shop for at Christmas time (mine just asked for paintball stuff)
doesn't complain when your entire wardrobe is comprised of paintball apparel because hers is too.

cons:

she lives with me so she is ALWAYS AROUND eliminating almost all my "me" time :P

CHB Paintball
Canadian Vanguard Service Center
chrishazard@vanguardpaintballusa.com
Sales & Field Rep - FANZKIT.com - Sales - I2I Custom Apparel
Citrus Connection Scenario Paintball Team

#15 bigx

bigx

Good? Bad? Im the guy with the gun.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:53 PM

How much of this is wanting to get your GF into paintball. I think its more of a case of you wanting to get some new shit!!! People these days will use any excuse to whore guns!!! Posted Image

"I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you."

http://www.techpb.co...1 :Feedback 17/0/

#16 A&MBaller

A&MBaller

meow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

How much of this is wanting to get your GF into paintball. I think its more of a case of you wanting to get some new shit!!! People these days will use any excuse to whore guns!!! Posted Image

So I wasn't the only person that though this?!?!

#17 dertydood

dertydood

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:26 AM

Let her play a few games with the rental first until she gets a good feeling for using a marker and not dropping it, banging it up, etc. If she handles it well, let her use your electronic setup, or just let her borrow the lighter carbon fiber tank.- this will make it less of a strain to hold the marker up. This will make it more fun for her.

Don't put any pressure on her, and maybe skip a few games to let her gather herself. Take it easy, make it fun and pay lots of attention to her. She will love you for it.
Swap my Ego 11 parts! OG green for white, black, silver etc.... http://www.techpb.co...1

My feedback- http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=217960-

#18 Dakent

Dakent

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:45 AM

When I first got into paintball, I couldn't afford it and my parents didn't like to buy me paintballs either. So I went out and got a job. Few years later when i got into it more seriously, i wanted to buy a tournament marker. I decided to get an Ego 11. $1100 or something and my parents thought i was crazy. Honestly, no matter who you meet. If they don't play/understand paintball, they will think its a waste of money.

Posted Image
Luxe 2.0 Dye 68/45 Rotor i4 Feedback 4/0/0

Gearbag Sale

#19 Nokified

Nokified

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:45 AM

Honestly, no matter who you meet. If they don't play/understand paintball, they will think its a waste of money.

It's like that with every hobby if not everything.

#20 SCHULER

SCHULER

paintball isnt just a sport, it a way of life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:13 AM

This,because she may decide she just doesn't like paintball.

well said
Feedback>http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=210389
Gear bag>http://www.techpb.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=216345&st=0&p=3195781&fromsearch=1&#entry3195781

#21 PrimeTimePred

PrimeTimePred

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:08 PM

So I wasn't the only person that though this?!?!

:D dang... Okay u guys got me! Lol but seriously, i want her to try it because i know she will be great at it, and its looking like she will be up for it soon. Going ballin this weekend and im hopin she will be down! If not, no worries cuz i will still mow faces; and my new spire should be in by then of course ;)

#22 asthmaticrhino

asthmaticrhino

Skyrockets in flight! Beeewwww

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

I took my girlfriend out and she liked it. NOW is when im starting to look for a gun for her. Mind you, she will be paying for half of it.

Protip. Buy a shovel. Dig and Pile REPEAT until desired effect is achieved. Builds upper body and character. Bitches love upper body and character.

#23 A&MBaller

A&MBaller

meow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:52 PM

Well if she does like it and wants to get into it I would get her a used Axe and a Spire/Z2/Rotor. Whichever would work fine. But you can used almost mint condition axes for about $325, which is about the same price as the mini, but a load better.

#24 Nokified

Nokified

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:59 PM

She should do her own research! Plus when you research it yourself you'll know exactly what you get.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users