• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cpuwhiz22

cpuwhiz22

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

Ok, so what I am looking for here is some advice based on actual experience, not just what you have read. The reason for this is that I see many different opinions on what constitutes a break in, and additionally many different opinions.

I have a new Axe on the way, and I was planning to get a Boss bolt for it this weekend. However, most things I read say that you should break the marker in before upgrading things such as a bolt. I want to maximize efficiency right away since I use a 3000 psi tank and fill from a scuba tank, so I was hoping I could swap out the bolt and sweet spot it using this technique:

http://www.pbnation....d.php?t=3761332

Now I am wondering if doing this out of the box would be bad for the marker, or if it just wouldn't be as effective? Or would it matter at all? What does everyone think about this?

Thanks!

#2 NoLimitsOnLife

NoLimitsOnLife

Patience is a Virtue, and my board is broken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:21 PM

i believe punkworks were doing tests on breaking in a gun, but im not sure what the results were.
Posted Image
Setup: System X NME LE, Dye Rotor, Guerrilla Air 88/4500 Myth G2
MARYLAND BALLERS FTW

#3 TacticlTwinkie

TacticlTwinkie

*insert witty title*

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,974 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:51 PM

The break in period is very short, like within the first bag of paint. And that's just the orings. Swapping out the bolt with new orings will start over the break in period. Don't even worry about it.

#4 Big Walt

Big Walt

Ow Now Brown Cow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

Break in is really a myth for most guns, especially poppets, and it is never a bad thing if you skip it. Like said above, it's all about o-rings and not the bolt itself. And the only advantage it really gives you is better feel, not necessarily better efficiency. I would suggest using the regular bolt though before upgrading because you might find that you don't really need/want the upgrade.

i dont shoot them, i greet them in the nude and invite them into my house to talk about jesus.

Feedback 1/0/0

Ball out til you fall out

#5 cpuwhiz22

cpuwhiz22

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:17 PM

Thanks for the tips.

My main motivation to swap the bolt was to maximize efficiency. I use a scuba tank to fill so can only fill to 3000 PSI (and less after the first fill), so it's important to get the most shots I can per fill. I don't mind refilling after each game, but I don't want to end up running out of air mid-game. I was planning to do the sweet spotting and swap the bolt since it seems like doing that would allow me to drop the operating pressure to around 140-160, and additionally I should be able to lower the dwell. My biggest concern was that if there is any problem I might create doing this out of the box.

I am thinking the worst case is that once it breaks in a little, I will need to re-tune it, which is fine. I just want to make sure there won't be any long term risk from making such changes before it has even seen paint.

Thanks!

#6 Pakistani

Pakistani

www.AliZaman.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

the break in, however long it actually is, doesnt actually mean you have to use the gun any differently.
just use the gun as normal and itll get "broken in".

KPS Paintball VCU Rams Richmond Rage

If you need help with a Dye gun, PM me!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users