• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ckenney12

ckenney12

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

i was interested in getting a carbon fiber barrel but didn't know what i can do with them. am i better off getting a brrel that isn't carbon fiber? what can you not do with a carboon fiber barel?

#2 darthp

darthp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:23 AM

Not sure what you mean. You can play with them like normal, the only real upside is that they're extremely light. Most have good porting so they're quiet but you can get that from any barrel. And they look cool.
FEEDBACK +10

"Inspiration, by it's definition, comes very quickly." - Jack Wood

#3 asthmaticrhino

asthmaticrhino

Skyrockets in flight! Beeewwww

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

No reason not to get one. Its mostly for looks and the weight. Then again, there's no reason not to get an aluminium barrel. If you are looking to buy one, I say go for it

Protip. Buy a shovel. Dig and Pile REPEAT until desired effect is achieved. Builds upper body and character. Bitches love upper body and character.

#4 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

If you're looking for a great, lightweight, quiet barrel that doesnt cost as much as a carbon fiber, look at the Disruptive Barrel from Disruptive products.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#5 ckenney12

ckenney12

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

well what i meant is some of my friends and people at my local field say you cant use swabs with them

#6 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

200lb of unpredictable coming to hunt ya ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

Ok this is how i see it:

You want the best barrel kit go DW with SS inserts.

If you wanna go cheaper go Alum freak kit with AA tip

With some CF barrels swabbing with a fluffy swab is bad for it, sometimes a bad dive can snap off a CF barrel, all that junk. I've NEVER heard a DW barrel braking ever, can be swabbed with anything, and it takes freak inserts.
gnUDL.png
See my about me for useful things like feedback!

#7 ckenney12

ckenney12

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

thanks man , im goin with deadly wind

#8 Razgriz183

Razgriz183

rAwR!

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

Ok this is how i see it:

You want the best barrel kit go DW with SS inserts.

If you wanna go cheaper go Alum freak kit with AA tip

With some CF barrels swabbing with a fluffy swab is bad for it, sometimes a bad dive can snap off a CF barrel, all that junk. I've NEVER heard a DW barrel braking ever, can be swabbed with anything, and it takes freak inserts.

just adding to this

It was older CF barrels made like 10 years ago that had issues with the glue and by swabbing it, the CF would start unraveling. This does not happen anymore so all CF products these days don't have those issues
my feedback :) 16/0/0
www.zephyrpaintball.com

www.OringMonkey.com

www.santaclarapaintball.com

#9 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

If you get a deadlywind,I suggest that you don't buy alot of inserts,just one or two.Like,one overbore and one underbore(.679 and .691)

#10 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

TechPB's Resident Angry Veteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

i've used both stiffi and dw cf barrels... it was the only stiffi barrels that had the crescent moon shaped porting that had issues with swabs... the fuzzy swabs would grab onto the edges of the porting and small chunks of the cf would come out with the swab....

as far as the dw fibur barrel goes, its the best cf barrel on the market hands down... super light, super strong, and it takes freak inserts... you dont need the ss inserts, the aluminum ones work fine... i do suggest a full kit though, not jsut one or 2 inserts... the whole point of an insert kit is so you can underbore or overbore regardless of the paint size... have a full kit will give you a much wider range of bore options to choose from... say your paint bores out ar .681 and its a cold day... going down to .679 or .675 might be too small... and going up to .691 will be too big... either way you will be breaking paint... having the option of a .684 bore would be ideal... at least thats my finding... having more bore options i always better then having none...

i have a dw fiber barrel and a full freak insert kit, as well as a freak barrel kit with a couple custom tips... along with an assortment of other barrels in different bore sizes... you can never have enough barrels/bore sizes in my book... maybe you wnat to use a 12 inch barrel or a 16 inch barrel one day... when its cold out i like to use a 16inch barrel with a larger bore size on my pump... when it warm out, i use a 12 or 14 with a .675 bore... i rarely ever break paint as long as i am using paint suited to the temps i am playing in
Shocktech Aftershock SFL team cocker, serial number 1
Mini Orracle pump, Eclipse internals, Sanchez Machine pump kit and grip frame
Mossberg 500 ZMB

OSG Paintball biggest and best field in NH... show them some love

"I wish I had 2000 feet. So i could shove 500 of them up each of your asses!!!!" Red Foreman

#11 TECHDP=)

TECHDP=)

I'm never online anymore.

• Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:33 PM

I'm getting the dye cf boomstick today. Mainly for looks lol.

#12 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:35 PM

For me i just cashed in on boxing day and got my inserts

Alum for my electros (14" AA barrel): .689 (AA back), .684, and .679

SS for my pump (14" DW): .684, .679, .675

The logic behind this is MAX .05-.04 underbore at all time minimizing barrel breaks. And empire sole the sniper barrel kit at .685, .680, and .675 so they may onto something (lol then again $150 barrel kit battle). Aluminum I can beat the shit out of if it happens by accident, DW would be better kept as the CCM that it will go on to

Costs:
AA electro kit (~$100, new-ish): $15 shipped to canada USED tip, $25 shipped to canada LNIB (no box)back, $12x2 shipped to canada inserts (new or LNIB, no box), need A/C back for another $25-30 shipped USED?

DW Pump kit (~$150): $80 shipped DW (need to buy, NEW), $22/insert x3 shipped NEW

Edited by get.lit.up!, 28 December 2012 - 03:42 PM.

gnUDL.png

#13 ckenney12

ckenney12

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

what about deathstix barrels

#14 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

Seen a few used at my indoor field other than that, nope don't know about them. Everone here either uses stock barrel or freak system
gnUDL.png

#15 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

TechPB's Resident Angry Veteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:28 PM

the only CF barrels i trust are stiffi and deadlywinds... i've seen both companies barrels take some serious abuse and still be usable... yet, i've seen invert and other CF barrels break or splinter
Shocktech Aftershock SFL team cocker, serial number 1
Mini Orracle pump, Eclipse internals, Sanchez Machine pump kit and grip frame
Mossberg 500 ZMB

OSG Paintball biggest and best field in NH... show them some love

"I wish I had 2000 feet. So i could shove 500 of them up each of your asses!!!!" Red Foreman

#16 southern boy

southern boy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

deadly winds are the way to go the company backs up your barrel for life and a 30 day warranty for full refund if you are dissatisfied and out of 6 years thay have had 0 returns....0 they also claim that you can run it over with a car hustle paintball did and came out unscathed

#17 spydervents

spydervents

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:29 PM

I have a sly cf barrel front. It has been about 3 years since I got it. I've swabbed it and even run water through it. It is a great barrel. I would recommend the sly diesel barrel kit.

#18 btu shortie

btu shortie

im a BAMF thats BTU

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

Just get a regular barrel, carbon fiber is just fancy lol <br>
Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users