• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Keja1914

Keja1914

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

I have played paintball twice and I love it. My co workers and I primarily play woodsball but once I get familiar with my new setup I would like to go to one of the many paintball fields in the Charlotte area.

So far I have the following items:
2011 Proto Rail
Pinokio Hopper
Guerilla Air 48/3000
JT Proflex
CCM No rise Clamping feedneck

Since my funds are limited I wanted to invest in a Ninja CF 77/4500 CF tank, 14 inch barrel, and because I'm 6'6 some Vaulken gear later. What are your thoughts? Did I miss anything?

#2 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

Don't get Valken gear.

I recommend trying a 77cu tank before buying it. It seems too long.

#3 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • 22,148 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

Us tall guys love the longer tanks. I've got a 70/45, which is about a half inch shorter than the Ninja 77s, and it is perfect for me.

Edited by andrewthewookie, 31 December 2012 - 06:37 PM.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT • 09 Impulse • HB REV-i • Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor • Grillz • PE 70/45 Feedback - 23/0/0

#4 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:56 PM

There isn't really a need for the CCM feedneck, and may i suggest buying used. You can save yourself a bit of money buying used. The only thing I would never buy used is a mask.

Welcome to TechPB, and paintball.

Edited by tallsmallboy44, 31 December 2012 - 06:57 PM.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#5 Matrixrail_Louie

Matrixrail_Louie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:28 PM

Hey welcome to TechPB and the great game of paintball. No need for the feedneck, buy a new mask not used.
Posted Image

2012 Proto Reflex Rail & Empire z2 for sale- http://www.techpb.co...0

#6 gnarlee

gnarlee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

Welcome, where r u going to play in charlotte I reccomend boss paintball

#7 Tick

Tick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:43 AM

Get a 77 or 90 if you have long arms like myself. I still use a 68 but my old 90 suited me well for speedball.\

EDIT - THIS IS MY 999TH POST (SATAN)

Edited by Tick, 01 January 2013 - 12:43 AM.

PayPal Verified | Over 300 + eBay transactions| 10/0/0

#8 SoCalPB22

SoCalPB22

Just Addictied...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:04 AM

Get a 77 or 90 if you have long arms like myself. I still use a 68 but my old 90 suited me well for speedball.\

EDIT - THIS IS MY 999TH POST (SATAN)

It's 666 but yeah I think you good to go just stay away from the cheap valken crap

#9 GeezusPB

GeezusPB

Stud Muffin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:39 AM

Welcome, where r u going to play in charlotte I reccomend boss paintball

Yeah, Boss is great

#10 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

• Chat Coordinator
  • 22,148 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:38 AM

There isn't really a need for the CCM feedneck,

No need for the feedneck,

Did you see what he posted?

So far I have the following items:
2011 Proto Rail
Pinokio Hopper
Guerilla Air 48/3000
JT Proflex
CCM No rise Clamping feedneck

I mean, sure, you can tell him he doesn't need a feedneck. It's a bit of a moot point though, cause he's already got one.

#11 Keja1914

Keja1914

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

Thank you for the feedback everyone. I will check out Boss Paintball is that the field in Locust? What is wrong with the Vaulken stuff?

#12 Keja1914

Keja1914

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

I also want to update the barrel?

#13 invert mini king

invert mini king

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

Thank you for the feedback everyone. I will check out Boss Paintball is that the field in Locust? What is wrong with the Vaulken stuff?

Valken stuff isnt all that bad, it has its pros and cons but you could find better stuff if you pay like 20 bucks more.The problem with the valken stuff is that most of it is cheap crap.I have the valken fate pants and they dont really last long for $40, but if you pay something around $80 more you will have some better pants but then you might as well buy a pair of pants called the Empire Contact pants which I hear are very good.If buy gear you mean pods, forearm pads, and knee pads you should look at the nxe pod packs ive had mine for 2.5 years and it looks just fine.As for the forearm pad and knee pads planet eciplse is very comfortable and work very well.

Hopefully this is what you were looking for when you ask about the gear and to help explain valken to you.

well that changes everything!

if you wan't sponsers i advise contacting tampax -Luxor54

Posted Image

#14 walk on pro

walk on pro

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

Cheap valken crap?... its really preference i love my valken knee pads and hated the PE knee pads so...

Horizontal Stock Class CCI Phantom

2011 Proto Rail, Draxxus 68/45 with Ninja Pro Reg, Halo Too with Exalt Speedfeed, CP .685 14 inch 2 Piece Barrel.

#15 gnarlee

gnarlee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

Boss is the field in locust

#16 southern boy

southern boy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

the 77 is perfect for me just the right amount of reach im also 6'6 but i got pretty long arms and if ur gonna get a barrel that you will never need to replace i would recommend a freak barrel kit its 175 but you will never need to buy another barrel again. if your thinking about buying any soft goods i highly recommend empire

#17 Keja1914

Keja1914

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:54 AM

Thanks again for the advice once it stops raining I will definitely check out the locust field. Also since I'm still learning which freak barrel kit would I order there are two types? Since soft gear will be my next purchase thanks for the advice on that area also.

#18 Keja1914

Keja1914

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

What are the benefits of an Asa?

#19 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

When referring to an On/Off ASA, it's a modification to your tank adapter that lets you de-gas your marker and remove the tank without it still being under pressure. Primarily this helps save the threads on your tank, though I know of a few players using the on/off asa as a form of backup safety between rounds.

In regards to your question about freak kits, did you mean Total Freak vs. Freak junior, or did you mean Freak vs. Spiral/All-american barrel? The difference between freak and spiral is just the hole pattern in the barrel - one goes straight out from the barrel and the other spirals out. Freak vs. Freak junior is just the difference in the number of bore inserts you get in your kit as well as a slight cosmetic difference in your barrel back. By the way, I would highly discourage you from getting insert-style barrels. You're better off with your stock barrel for overboring and then one or two smaller bore barrels. I recommend the Thin Air Sports GnB barrel kit, Lurker Eigenbarrels, CP one-piece barrels, and Lapco barrels in place of insert-style barrels. If insert style barrels are just "your thing", then I'd recommend going with the Deadlywind Fibur over the Freak.

Welcome to TechPB and to the Charlotte fields. You should check out some of my field reviews in the North Carolina forum. I haven't gotten around to writing one for Boss, but I need to get in a visit sometime before spring so that I can get that one posted.

Edited by unfated33, 02 January 2013 - 01:20 PM.

Happiness... is a warm mechanical marker

Mechanical Marker Fan: Azodin Kaos-D / Tippmann Crossover

#20 Keja1914

Keja1914

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

Thanks for the reply I was referring to the empire freak barrel kit. With the Apex 2? I will checkout the field reviews.

#21 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

• Chat Coordinator
  • 22,148 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

If you get the full Super Freak kit, that's pretty much the last barrel you'll ever need to buy.

#22 SAHeatpb

SAHeatpb

Yeah let's go with this

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

I would suggest not buying the feed neck and try to save up to get a different type of tank size. 68/4500 or something smaller but that depends on your choosing.

#23 southern boy

southern boy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

By the way, I would highly discourage you from getting insert-style barrels. You're better off with your stock barrel for overboring and then one or two smaller bore barrels. I recommend the Thin Air Sports GnB barrel kit, Lurker Eigenbarrels, CP one-piece barrels, and Lapco barrels in place of insert-style barrels. If insert style barrels are just "your thing", then I'd recommend going with the Deadlywind Fibur over the Freak.

to each his own. you just cant say i strongly dislike something and give no reason as to why its horrible. I like the empire barrel kit except the fact that it gives you a carbon barrel tip when it isnt needed and you only recieve 5 inserts instead of 8. The packaging is nicer one the empire barrel kit i would suggest to get the empire barrel more bang for your buck if your on the fence

#24 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

By the way, I would highly discourage you from getting insert-style barrels. You're better off with your stock barrel for overboring and then one or two smaller bore barrels. I recommend the Thin Air Sports GnB barrel kit, Lurker Eigenbarrels, CP one-piece barrels, and Lapco barrels in place of insert-style barrels. If insert style barrels are just "your thing", then I'd recommend going with the Deadlywind Fibur over the Freak.

to each his own. you just cant say i strongly dislike something and give no reason as to why its horrible. I like the empire barrel kit except the fact that it gives you a carbon barrel tip when it isnt needed and you only recieve 5 inserts instead of 8. The packaging is nicer one the empire barrel kit i would suggest to get the empire barrel more bang for your buck if your on the fence

Fair enough, I should make an effort to qualify despite getting tired of explaining it. The control bore length of the insert-style barrels is going to be shorter than the optimum control bore length range that has been identified in the punkworks testing on barrels. Now, for some spool markers that can go with a shorter (say, 6-8") control bore, I believe the testing shows that the longer inserts (5") might not be that bad, but (EDIT: This is wrong. Spool valves are more sensitive to control bore and will need the longer, 8-10 inch length) Most markers will need a control bore length between 8 and 10 inches to reach their ideal efficiency. Less than that and you are wasting gas. This longer control bore length is part of why 2-piece barrels tend to perform better than one piece barrels, because their unported control length is longer.

Each of the barrels I mentioned, save for the DeadlyWind Fibur, will have the necessary control bore length to optimize your efficiency and consistency.

Edited by unfated33, 13 January 2013 - 09:03 PM.

#25 Keja1914

Keja1914

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

Thanks again for the assistance. Being 6'6 275 I'm having trouble finding a pod pack and or tactical vest due to my beer gut. Any suggestions?

#26 southern boy

southern boy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

nxe packs work really nice for us big guys i got the 5+7 or something and love it dont get a critical stealth pack if you have a gut

#27 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

• Chat Coordinator
  • 22,148 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

My old Valken Fate pack fits well, and has long velcro straps.

#28 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

My old Valken Fate pack fits well, and has long velcro straps.

I think a lot of the Valken packs also have the quick-eject elastic at the top to help remove the pods as well. I would recommend the packs that have the wider belt strap to see if that will accomodate you - even if you can only wrap a few inches of velcro to touch, the wider belt will help to hold that bit of velcro firmly in place. I know many of the Valken packs will do this and select NXE packs (I think the 4+ ones) as well. I've heard good things about the Proto Fighter harnesses for larger players, too.

#29 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

Thanks for the reply I was referring to the empire freak barrel kit. With the Apex 2? I will checkout the field reviews.

Dont buy the super freak kit you dont need two barrel fronts and the inserts are weird sizes too

#30 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

• Chat Coordinator
  • 22,148 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

Actually, the inserts are the perfect size groupings. And it's not about two fronts (although the CF front is pretty useless), it's about a normal barrel and an Apex front.

#31 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

Actually, the inserts are the perfect size groupings. And it's not about two fronts (although the CF front is pretty useless), it's about a normal barrel and an Apex front.

.675 is too small and .680 isnt really small enough for the paint I often shoot in my experience.

#32 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

• Chat Coordinator
  • 22,148 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

.675 is to small for you. I've had paint roll through my .679s, so a .675 would be perfect. Remember that we can usually get upwards of like .007-.008 underbore and still be as safe shooting without worrying about breaks as we could any other bigger size.

Edited by andrewthewookie, 09 January 2013 - 03:36 PM.

#33 Nokified

Nokified

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

.675 is to small for you. I've had paint roll through my .679s, so a .675 would be perfect.

Remember that we can usually get upwards of like .007-.008 underbore and still be as safe shooting without worrying about breaks as we could any other bigger size.

I remember the scientific minds of punk works said that a .002 under bored/overboard is optimal. Over that may do more harm than good.

I agree with you though. There are paints that can fit a .675. I remember that happening to me last spring. It was probably the weather?

#34 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

• Chat Coordinator
  • 22,148 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

I remember the scientific minds of punk works said that a .002 under bored/overboard is optimal. Over that may do more harm than good.

It was about a .003-.005ish optimal, up to .008ish before you had to worry. I've had paint that was about .679-677ish, and I shot it through my reball insert which is a .670 without breaks. Now, that doesn't mean that every single type of paint out there will be able to take that kind of underbore, there are certainly some paints that will break. However, with a general spread of typical paint you'd find, those numbers hold up.

Edited by andrewthewookie, 09 January 2013 - 06:08 PM.

#35 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

.675 is to small for you. I've had paint roll through my .679s, so a .675 would be perfect. Remember that we can usually get upwards of like .007-.008 underbore and still be as safe shooting without worrying about breaks as we could any other bigger size.

I agree completely that .675 is very useful, it just seems to me from seeing my friend use his super freak kit that the jump to .680 and then to .685 is less than optimal.

My. 678 eigenbareel is too small and the .684 is underbored bit just barely and it depends on the batch of paint.

Edited by BurningPlaydoh, 11 January 2013 - 10:49 AM.

#36 Keja1914

Keja1914

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

Just ordered my NXE 08 pack with the extender, thanks for all of your help. Building my gear up slowly but surely. Soft gear will be next.

#37 gnarlee

gnarlee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

Yeah pants are a awesome upgrade I suggest empire I love mine get some older ones being pretty big finding deals on ans won't be a problem. Knee pads and elbow pads are nice too. The planet eclipse elbow pads are nice I will be ordering some personally.

#38 gnarlee

gnarlee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

This is a pretty good deal
http://www.ansgear.c...tltdpantblk.htm

#39 Keja1914

Keja1914

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

Thanks for the information

#40 Keja1914

Keja1914

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:30 AM

I was thinking about getting some Magnum boots for Woodsball any thoughts? Where we play is literally a forest with trails, rocks, and uneven dirt.

#41 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

I'm a big fan of Keens for play in the woods and on rocks. I use the targhee II personally, and have managed to get bounces off the rubberized upper toe area. However, anything that is going to give you good traction and protection will be good. I'd just recommend trying not to get anything too heavy, as that will make you slower and lead to make more noise than you might want.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users