• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 wheelman

wheelman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:21 PM

Im new to paintball. I have played at my local scenario field and I love it! Really dont like speed ball ( just my preference). I have rented for too long. Im used to blowback guns (tippmann). I really want to know if spyder has better electronics in their e grips for the MR5? My local shop says if you want milsim mag feed and spyder is what you are looking into go mechanical spyder's eelectronic have a bad rap. Need some advise. Any would be great! Thanks.

#2 The Inflicted

The Inflicted

⊥ɥǝ Iuɟl!ɔʇǝp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:26 PM

Hard to say at this point which will be more reliable as both the MR5s have been out for barely a month.

Personally I'd go with the mechanical version. I've owned a couple Spyders and clones over the years, and had pretty good luck with the mechanical ones but the electronic ones have been much more finicky.. Also, if you're really interested in mag-fed play, the MR5's tiny 9-round magazine makes an e-trigger something of a counter-productive feature. Finally, as a new player, simpler is better- you don't want to have to worry about changing batteries or fiddling with settings.

Before you consider buying a gun, have you budgeted enough money to buy a good mask first, or at least in the same package?
The nicest gun in the world won't do you any good if your lens fogs up and you can't see what you're shooting at.

#3 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:00 AM

This is all for you given you have a good mask, tank, and loader. Honestly, dont go buying the mr5 for your first gun.thats more of a novelty gun; I'd only get it since its the cheapest magfed milsim gun, thats it. Spyder's electros have always been meh, and the mr5 is no different. Its just another sear tripper. Id just leave it at mechanical, since the modes on the mr5 are most likely not field legal anyways, so its a waste. For your first gun id look at the gog envy, gog extcy, proto rail, or gog g1. If you want mech, look at the enmey. If you have any questions about the enmey, Im one of the first people to get it, and have been playing with it for about a month.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#4 wheelman

wheelman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:39 AM

Thanks guys you have given some good advise. I have watched mikes budget baller shows, all of them! Mask, loader, and tank are not and issue. When purchasing my gun I will be purchasing all of these other items. I like the grillz and the profit mask. Also the view loader rev is like $15 at my local shop. With spyders stove top I don't want to go all out. Mike said it was a good starter loader and at that price why not try it out. For a tank 68/4500 is what I want. I just have to find which brand to go with. And suggestions? On tanks and loaders? Im going with this gun cause it is on the cheap side but it has some features that could be a good resell down the road. Am I way off on these thoughts?

Edited by wheelman, 04 January 2013 - 06:41 AM.

#5 sunshinekid91

sunshinekid91

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

Tippman's elctro loader would go very nicely with this gun. As far as tank brands go, i'd go with ninja or gi milsim. Now, since you're playing mostly woodsball/scenario and you're first choice was the spyder mr5, i'm guessing you like the milsim look and the alure of its first strike round capabilities...i've owned spyder mr1's when they first came out because i was young and crazy (they looked cool lmao). Truth is, a spyder is probably a scerio player's worst nightmare! Loud, inefficient (though they have gotten better), inaccurate no matter what barrel you throw on there, low fire rate, and heavy. I think these cons outweigh its looks and the magazine fed first strike rounds. To me, if you absolutely want first strike rounds in a spyder, go with the Hammer pump...If first strike is take or leave for you, then an sp-1 (or GOG's version of it) with an apex barrel would be a better investment to me, even as far as resale down the road...I've never used either versions of the sp-1, but Mike P swears by them in his woodsball vids. If ever I get back into woodsball/scenario/milsim, this will be the gun I'd get (or the DAM if my wife goes into a deep comma before then lmao :P )...in fact, the reason I gave up on scenario/milsim is because of my MR-1, MR-3, and my tippman A5 all of which are either in the attic or sold...there's been really no inovation in milsim guns until the now. You couldn't get a cool looking milsim gun that performed worth a shit unless you got an all black rail or an "olive drab" dm which defeats the whole point of milsim. First strike rounds, sp-1, gog g1, airow gun, spyder hammer, planet eclipse etha with the picannty body kit, now the dye DAM...all of these are relatively recent developments in the scenario world and a much needed change. I'd go with the scenario revolution and leave spyder's atttempt to "catch up" behind on this one.
And Shepherds we shall be, for Thee my Lord, for Thee...power hath descended forth from Thy hand that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. And we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall in ever be. In Nommine Patri, et Filli, et Spiritu Sacti, AMEN.
ACADIANA PAINTBALL COMPLEX
Kid please, my System X NME LE will literally shit your gun...how do you think I got my reflex rail?

#6 asthmaticrhino

asthmaticrhino

Skyrockets in flight! Beeewwww

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

Yeah, don't get a spider. If you are dead set on woodsball get the g1-M. Then the decent tank and such

Protip. Buy a shovel. Dig and Pile REPEAT until desired effect is achieved. Builds upper body and character. Bitches love upper body and character.

#7 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

Have you looked into pistol play?

They are fun markers, reliable, have mags, and are very light.

#8 CPS

CPS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

To a newer player a pistol would be difficult to start off with as it will be harder for them to aim, the start up costs are high and the constant need to have a shot count for your mags and C02 can be a hassle.

#9 The Inflicted

The Inflicted

⊥ɥǝ Iuɟl!ɔʇǝp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

i've owned spyder mr1's when they first came out because i was young and crazy (they looked cool lmao). Truth is, a spyder is probably a scerio player's worst nightmare! Loud, inefficient (though they have gotten better), inaccurate no matter what barrel you throw on there, low fire rate, and heavy.

I'm not a huge fan of Spyders, but this seems more than a little unfair. Tippmanns easily dominate scenario paintball in terms of popularity, and Spyders are certainly lighter, more compact, and more efficient than those. The testing I've seen on the Eko valve suggests that the newer Spyders even give a lot of higher-end guns a run for their money in terms of accuracy.

Also, how can a Spyder be less accurate than any other gun? The type of gun has nothing to do with accuracy, all else being the same.

#10 wheelman

wheelman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

I'm really excited about the MR5 I don't know why but I am. I guess I like being the guinea pig. I'll let you know what I think.

Mask - V Force Grillz
loader - ??
Tank - ?? 68/4500
Gun - Spyder MR5 Mechanical

Any help on the Loader and or tank?

#11 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

Ninja 68/4500
And
Either a Halo Too, or a Pinokio.

#12 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

To a newer player a pistol would be difficult to start off with as it will be harder for them to aim, the start up costs are high and the constant need to have a shot count for your mags and C02 can be a hassle.

Aim is easy to pick up.

new TiPX = $220
Used HPA tank with remote + $120
Small cheap bag = $10

Options:

It is $350 to start up and if you buy a used TiPX then it is $250 or less to start with goodies involved. The options are just stuff you will buy later on.

#13 The Inflicted

The Inflicted

⊥ɥǝ Iuɟl!ɔʇǝp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:00 AM

. Also the view loader rev is like $15 at my local shop.

Is that the C.A.T. version, or the original?
The original has an infrared sensor in the spout that tells the motor to shut off when it's not needed.
The CAT runs all the time and is annoying and wasteful.

If it's the non-CAT version, $15 is a good deal, and a proper Revvy would make a great first loader.

#14 wheelman

wheelman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:40 AM

I checked. It is the CAT version. Thank you for letting me know that. I agree it is wasteful. Any good starter loaders?

Edited by wheelman, 05 January 2013 - 08:40 AM.

#15 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

Halo too or any superloaders.

#16 G4paintballer

G4paintballer

Gun/gear whore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,862 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

You don't need that kind of speed on a mechanical gun.

A Proto Primo is a great loader for a mechanical gun.
Current setup: WGP Trilogy, CCM S6, Ion Xe
Feedback 10/0/0

#17 The Inflicted

The Inflicted

⊥ɥǝ Iuɟl!ɔʇǝp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

You don't need that kind of speed on a mechanical gun.

A Proto Primo is a great loader for a mechanical gun.

It's not the speed he needs- it's the forcefeed capability.
Guns like the Kaos, M98, or Spyder have no anti-chop eyes, or anything else to prevent chops.
When you pull the trigger faster than gravity will let balls into the gun, or if you're just unlucky and happen to bounce a ball away from the chamber as the bolt is coming forward, you'll wind up with a chop.

That's the real advantage of using a low-end forcefeed loader like a Halo TOO or Kingman FASTA on cheap blowbacks.

#18 wheelman

wheelman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

Inflicted thanks for the heads up on the fasta loader. Even though I don't think I'm going to purchase that loader it got me looking on a certain site and I think I'm going with the Empire Overdirve DB Loader. I like the price point and I like that it's sound activated. Plus black will match the gun. I appreciate all the input from everyone.&nbsp; <div><br></div><div>This is my final set up&nbsp;</div><div>&nbsp;V Force Grillz (Olive)&nbsp;</div><div>Ansgear 68/4500 carbon fiber with cross fire reg</div><div>Empire OD DB Loader&nbsp;</div><div>Spyder MR5 Mechanical&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div>&nbsp;Pods, vest / belt, and decision to use remote line or not is next for me.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>&nbsp;Thanks again for everything!

</div>

Edited by wheelman, 06 January 2013 - 04:35 AM.

#19 III Kezia III

III Kezia III

Lulzjustbeingacat :D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

what a joke. seriously. what kind of advice is that to a new player? pistol play would be for shits and giggles, those are things you should only get after actually getting a full set-up.

Lulzjustacat.png

#20 The Inflicted

The Inflicted

⊥ɥǝ Iuɟl!ɔʇǝp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

Inflicted thanks for the heads up on the fasta loader. Even though I don't think I'm going to purchase that loader it got me looking on a certain site and I think I'm going with the Empire Overdirve DB Loader. I like the price point and I like that it's sound activated. Plus black will match the gun.

I'm not at all familiar with the Overdrive, but my understanding is that while it does agitate the paint inside it is NOT forcefeed.

#21 dannyboy768

dannyboy768

TOMA ABBIATI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

This site sells classic revys: http://www.baccipain...iewloaders.html
DIRT CHEAP CF Tanks in Hydro!

http://shop.swapmytank.com/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users