• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 stefan_rj

stefan_rj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

How's the Etek 4 in woodsball? I'm thinking of getting one, and I want to use it primarily in the woods.

Thanks,Stefan

#2 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,635 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

The same as it is everywhere else, crap. Look at the Axe, crappier ergonomics and the trigger isn't as nice, but its just as efficient, just as easy to look after, but has a much softer shot and is one of the quietest guns you can get, unlike the Etek which is one of the loudest. If the Axe isn't up you'r street try the Proto Reflex, harder to maintain and less efficient, but feels alot nicer to hold (to most people anyway, its usually a preference thing).

Awarded: " the biggest dumbass on this forum" 2012

#3 III Kezia III

III Kezia III

Lulzjustbeingacat :D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:16 AM

The same as it is everywhere else, crap. Look at the Axe, crappier ergonomics and the trigger isn't as nice, but its just as efficient, just as easy to look after, but has a much softer shot and is one of the quietest guns you can get, unlike the Etek which is one of the loudest. If the Axe isn't up you'r street try the Proto Reflex, harder to maintain and less efficient, but feels alot nicer to hold (to most people anyway, its usually a preference thing).

dis guy calls the etek 4 crap then refers you to get an axe? lol. the etek4 is fine for woods just like any other marker really, as long as you take care of it and do the simple care stuff you'll be fine.

Lulzjustacat.png

#4 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • 15,635 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

dis guy calls the etek 4 crap then refers you to get an axe? lol. the etek4 is fine for woods just like any other marker really, as long as you take care of it and do the simple care stuff you'll be fine.

Its fine and the Axe is better, thats my point.

#5 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

The only bad thing about the Eteks is that theyre loud and "kick a lot". If you havent shot high end guns you wont really notice the difference. The Axe is better in pretty much every way except ergonomics though.

#6 stefan_rj

stefan_rj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

The only bad thing about the Eteks is that theyre loud and "kick a lot". If you havent shot high end guns you wont really notice the difference. The Axe is better in pretty much every way except ergonomics though.

I don't really care about the Axe. The Etek 4 with the Zick 2 is a lot quieter and smoother. Etek maintenance is so simple, and it is pretty efficient. My main question is; is it durable enough?

#7 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • 15,635 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

The Etek 4 with the Zick 2 is a lot quieter and smoother.

I died laughing.

#8 Phoenix01

Phoenix01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

My main question is; is it durable enough?

One thing I've noticed is that for some reason people think that all paintball guns except for Tippmanns and Spyders (including their clones) are only designed for speedball. If the paitball gun is designed to hold up to the rigors, read: abuse, of speedballers, surely they would be able to handle a little woods play. I will never understand why some people continue to believe a "speedball" gun is somehow inferior as soon as you go out in the woods.

So to answer your main question; yeah, it'll handle anything you throw at it. Of course you'll still need to perform routine maintenance like any other paintball gun.

#9 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • 9,068 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

I died laughing.

Same

#10 Tai28

Tai28

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:15 AM

The etek was built to make noise, paintball is just a side effect.

#11 asthmaticrhino

asthmaticrhino

Skyrockets in flight! Beeewwww

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:37 AM

I died laughing.

Same

Me too
Edit: maybe hes comparing it to the original zick 1 kit, in which case hes right

Edited by asthmaticrhino, 05 January 2013 - 03:39 AM.

Protip. Buy a shovel. Dig and Pile REPEAT until desired effect is achieved. Builds upper body and character. Bitches love upper body and character.

#12 OrbitalPB

OrbitalPB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:40 AM

When I play woodsball I see a regular 5-10 people out with etek 4's, they are a very common marker at the field. They seem to have no problems with them and they require minimum maitnence. We live up in Canada where the field is covered in snow during this season and all the peoples etek's work.

#13 Cheeks

Cheeks

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

Axe for the win.

#14 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

I don't really care about the Axe. The Etek 4 with the Zick 2 is a lot quieter and smoother. Etek maintenance is so simple, and it is pretty efficient. My main question is; is it durable enough?

If you believe that then i sounds like you arent really here to get legitimate advice on which gun to get, instead you want the purchase of an Etek 4 validated. The fact is the Etek line is the absolute loudest marker besides blowbacks like Tippmann and Spyders.

#15 Fssto

Fssto

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

I just ran my etek 4 last Sunday in woodsball. It was great. It didn't have any problems. Etek 4 in the woods is just as good as anything else. People say it has a lot of kick but you don't notice that at all. And when your on the field playing it doesn't seem that loud. I love my etek 4 I would defiantly get one

#16 stefan_rj

stefan_rj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

I died laughing.

Same

Me too
Edit: maybe hes comparing it to the original zick 1 kit, in which case hes right

Yes... I should have said:
The Etek 4 with the Zick 2 is a lot quieter and smoother than the Zick 1

#17 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • 15,635 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

Only difference is it has a oring to decrease shock on the return stroke. It really doesn't do much, and it sure as shit doesn't shoot anywhere near as well as an Axe.

#18 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

the etek 4 sounds like a crack and kids who use them at the field hurt my delicate ears. But in all seriousness just get the axe.

#19 etekbeast

etekbeast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

I have an axe and don't like it as much.Its a good gun and is quieter and smoother but, the Etek 4 have been little brothers to the Egos. There have been more models of the Etek compared to the Axe. Customer service is better than Empires. Packaging is just so much better then the Axe. Yeah it might out beat an Etek but I just like Eclipse Guns better I guess.

#20 madsnipes

madsnipes

CARNAGE 3!!!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,051 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

any speedball gun will perform great in the woods, mostly because you will be playing against guys using 10 lb tippmann ak-47s and crap like that.
yes it is durable enough

#21 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

I have an axe and don't like it as much.Its a good gun and is quieter and smoother but, the Etek 4 have been little brothers to the Egos. There have been more models of the Etek compared to the Axe. Customer service is better than Empires. Packaging is just so much better then the Axe. Yeah it might out beat an Etek but I just like Eclipse Guns better I guess.

So just because the Etek is the "little brother" to the Ego (which is one of the worst performing high end markers except in needing little maintenance) it's a better buy than the Axe? How often is a hard case going to be more important and useful than a quiet, soft shooting marker? Personal preference and all that, but considering the price and performance difference between the Axe and Etek, to me its clear which one I see as the winner; the Axe.

#22 Fssto

Fssto

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

I slammed my barrel into concrete, smashed my etek against spools, slid it into mud and It worked every time. The time I smashe my barrel into concrete it was one of those two foot tall things that they use for like blocking off roads. The tip of my barrel slammed into the corner as I swung my arm forward to run and there wast even a scratch on it. My arm hurt like hell but the etek was perfect

#23 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

I slammed my barrel into concrete, smashed my etek against spools, slid it into mud and It worked every time. The time I smashe my barrel into concrete it was one of those two foot tall things that they use for like blocking off roads. The tip of my barrel slammed into the corner as I swung my arm forward to run and there wast even a scratch on it. My arm hurt like hell but the etek was perfect

Its not like they make Eteks out of some magical material that resists scratches dents and bending. If there are scratched dented and bent Egos and Geos the lower end Eclipse markers are just as susceptible to danage from the abuses of playing paintball. Take note I love both Eclipse and my Etha and this is true of any marker or brand.

#24 LegionPB

LegionPB

1st Place Verbandsliga!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

The Etek 4 is an amazing marker for the price, you cannot go wrong with it. Yes, the Etek line is loud which may or may not bother you in the woods. I have an Etek 3 that has all the same upgrades as the Etek 4 and more and I use it as a backup for speedball (I can always count on it to work). I have a couple teammates who use the axe and they sometimes have problems but it's not all that bad. All of them have the Boss V2 bolt and I must say it is a very smooth shooting gun, much smoother than an Etek. I personally use a GoG G-1 in the woods because sound signature matters to me in woodsball. Then again its all personal preference in the end, if you like the Etek 4, go ahead and get it. I can vouch for it and say it won't let you down. I have to disagree with the Etek being crap in all honesty. I can wreck just as many people with it as I can my Luxe, its all about the person behind the marker. People who like axes will always have this silly rivalry with people who like Eteks, always expect the other side to throw in the other even if you really don't care to hear about it :P

Etek 4 takes the cake in this well put together video by Hustle Paintball:

Kaiserslautern Legion -Captain- All American Team Ballin in Germany! (Members from the U.S. Air Force, U.S. Army, and the DoD)
Sponsored by: DXS, Oringmonkey, MAXS, HK Army
-DPL: Deutschland Paintball League & European Millenium Series-
Luxe Mob! (Reverse Poison Luxe 2.0 & Dust Black/Gloss Black 1.0 w/ ALL 2.0 Up's)
If You Haven't Already Please Like My Teams Facebook Page! http://www.facebook....tballKL?fref=ts

#25 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

I think trying to sell Cookybiscuit on anything Planet Eclipse is a losing battle, don't even try it.

But for the price get the Axe. And any tournament style gun will handle the woods just fine. Woodsball guns being better in the woods than tourney guns is a myth.

And to the guy that smashes his Etek into various hard surfaces, stop doing that.

#26 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • 15,635 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

I think trying to sell Cookybiscuit on anything Planet Eclipse is a losing battle, don't even try it.

SL8R Posted Image

#27 Rhino1909

Rhino1909

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

I heard and etek at the field today... My eardrums almost ruptured when he was dry shooting

#28 Big Walt

Big Walt

Ow Now Brown Cow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:46 AM

Yea all these people telling you to get an Axe can just go away now. It's your money, spend it the way you want to. I would say go get your Etek 4. It will definitely hold up during woodsball. Anything that can work on a speedball field is guaranteed to work on the woodsball field. Like most people have already stated, the Axe is smoother but you also don't notice a difference when you're actually playing - ergo the Axe is not really smoother. And second, even if the Etek 4 is loud... people will probably still tell where you are once you start shooting paintballs in their general direction - as in the Axe will still "give you away". Even if someone is super hardcore into woodsball and can tell exactly where you are from sound signature, there's like what 1-3 of those guys tops? With a good chance of them being on your team? These people posting about the Axes are wasting posts. Go get yourself the Etek 4. I would take it over the Axe as well. Packaging is very nice (much better than the axe), Trigger - better than the Axe, Ergonomics - better than the Axe, Customer Support - better than the Axe, and lastly it's what you want... The two markers do the exact same thing, so why not get the one you think looks better and appeals to you more.

i dont shoot them, i greet them in the nude and invite them into my house to talk about jesus.

Feedback 1/0/0

Ball out til you fall out

#29 gibbeepbroxzor

gibbeepbroxzor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:38 AM

The argument that kick/barrel rise is unnoticeable when playing is a joke. You are sighting down the barrel, once you start rolling that trigger, or ramping, the barrel of an etek is going to rise like 2 inches. That can translate to up to 4 feet difference at the other end of the stream of paint. Yea, you can adjust, but that's wasted time and paint. Also, I'd argue that the Empire Customer Service is on par, if not better than, Eclipse. If you want an etek, get it. Won't let you down, just won't be the best performing marker for your money. Annnddd, if you slam your barrel into a chunk of concrete, it's going to scratch. Not like Planet Eclipse anodizing creates a magical force field around the gun, as much as we all wished it did.

#30 Fssto

Fssto

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

I'm not saying its made of something special. All I was trying to say is that when put through rough play it still preformes flawlessly.

#31 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

Trigger - better than the Axe

I think that most people would not agree with this statement, or perhaps not have any idea what makes a good trigger.

The original poster can choose whatever marker he wants in the 450-600 new marker range and be fine. Many people like the Axe, the Etek 4, Drone DX, or the Reflex Rail. Some argue for the inclusion of the Etha and Crossover. Personally, and I don't even much care for anything other than a mechanical marker on the field, the Axe is hands down the winner of this comparison. It's cheaper than all of the others save the Etha and Crossover. It's got a nice customization upgrade in the Lurker or Boss bolt. Before the bolt it's smoother than the Etek. It has the best trigger of any new marker out under $600.

Aesthetics are a bit lacking on the Axe compared to the Etek. And if you're doing a full disassemble for cleaning, the Etek is going to be simpler for that kind of maintenance. There are plenty of arguments for the Etek. If I was making the argument, I'd say I'd get an Etek if maintenance was of little concern/interest and noise didn't matter to me, and I wanted to see the poppet pin move on the back of my marker.

Honestly, that might be enough reason for me to take the Etek over the Axe, but I'd do so knowing I was paying a premium for slightly inferior gun performance. If you feel like you'd be okay in the same situation, then have at it.
Happiness... is a warm mechanical marker

Mechanical Marker Fan: Azodin Kaos-D / Tippmann Crossover

#32 Matrixrail_Louie

Matrixrail_Louie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

I died laughing.

Same

me 2
Posted Image

2012 Proto Reflex Rail & Empire z2 for sale- http://www.techpb.co...0

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users