6 replies to this topic

#1 Silyputy

Silyputy

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:13 AM

ok so my dad always tells my sister to be off at 10 or at 9 depending on the night. im older than her so i stay on tell i want really my dad does not mind. but that time comes around and i say get off she is like "im just finishing ******" im getting annoyed at it now. is there i way i can go into my roughter the (192.168.1.1) axes way in and cut off her internet but not myn? can i do that? if you know how can you help me out im just getting sick and tired of this. Thanks :D

If they talk shit, make them eat it.

#2 REDCOBRA

REDCOBRA

wow such paintball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:57 AM

make it a wired connection? lol

Posted Image

#3 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,069 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:03 AM

make it a wired connection? lol

#4 Blade of grass

Blade of grass

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

Only way you can do it is to unplug the router.

all my legos are stored at my parents hose... so that wont be happening....

48fhih.png

#5 Silyputy

Silyputy

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

danm ok i found a better way smash the computer :D jk i wont but thanks guys

If they talk shit, make them eat it.

#6 Blade of grass

Blade of grass

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:08 AM

You could also change the password at night, or set up a limit, only accessible from 6am - 10pm. Or whatever times you want.

all my legos are stored at my parents hose... so that wont be happening....

48fhih.png

#7 dustyshouri

dustyshouri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:39 AM

Different routers have different firmware installed which means what you can do depends on what router you have. In order to do something like what you want you'd have to do a couple of things:

1) set up a static IP to your sisters device/pc. Routers determine who is who and what to do via local IPs it assigns to everything that connects to it. Every time you connect to your router it assigns you the next available IP(starting with x.x.x.2 and going up to x.x.x.255). In order for your router to always know which device is your sisters you have to assign her device a static IP. This can be done with your router via a static route, or more reliably done on your sisters device via her network settings. Assign is something like x.x.x.200 or so. X denotes the rest of your local ip which varies depending on your router set up. Googling how to set up local IPs will probably yield more informative details than what I could here.

2) Once you set up a static IP you can start defining rules via your router. Because your router always knows your sisters device via her manually assigned IP it will never get confused and start messing with other devices. You can set up rules to block services, usually in the form of ports. Block ports 1 all the way to 65534. You can assign this rule to a time schedule based on your routers clock. This is where it gets a bit tricky(at least for me, my router clock sucked). Again, this varies wildly from router to router, need details(like your router model).

However, I advise talking it over with your parents first. First off, your router controls your internet and messing with stuff can ultimately lead to messing shit up. If you're not familiar with this stuff you won't be able to diagnose problems that may arise. Things may work at first... but maybe half a year later stuff isn't working right. Bam, daylight savings has messed up your schedule and caused her internet to cut off at weird times. If you're not familiar you might be sitting there wondering what the hell happened. Some routers make all of this stuff way more complicated than others as well. Secondly, ultimately it isn't up to you whether you should have complete control over your sisters internet, it's your parents. What happens if your sister is emailing a project to her teacher when her internet cuts out? Explain to them the situation and tell them there are means to control her internet beyond good faith that she's apparently abusing.

Edited by dustyshouri, 05 January 2013 - 12:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users