• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Garribean

Garribean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

Someone is selling this 50/45 for $20! A Steal right?! But the "Cracks" are the reason it's so cheap(Draws Potential customers away) But isn't only the Gel Coating cracking and the tank is fine?
Posted Image

#2 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,640 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

Nah it probably wont blow up. Only way a tank can die is if theres fibres sticking out or the enamel took a big enough hit to go through to the carbon fibre and damage it. Tanks are ridiculously over-engineered, a 4500psi tank in good health can hold near twice its certified pressure before popping.

Buy it and if you're still worried post up better pics here.

Awarded: " the biggest dumbass on this forum" 2012

#3 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • 21,974 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

Those cracks look like expansion stress though. If you're going to buy it, have it looked at by a hydrotester first.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT 09 Impulse HB REV-i Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor Grillz PE 70/45 Feedback - 23/0/0

Closer & Angel A1 F/S/T

#4 Garribean

Garribean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

Those cracks look like expansion stress though. If you're going to buy it, have it looked at by a hydrotester first.

He told me it holds air just fine and I don't think theres a hydrotester around where I live.

#5 dannyboy768

dannyboy768

TOMA ABBIATI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

This happened to a huge batch of Ninja tanks. The gel coating was poorly made and cracked due to heat and natural expansion of the tank when pressure rises. Guys at Ninja say it's safe when people asked them after it happened to THEIR Ninja tanks but I would call Kee just to make sure.
DIRT CHEAP CF Tanks in Hydro!

http://shop.swapmytank.com/

#6 OrbitalPB

OrbitalPB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

I would go to your local paintball proshop and let someone who knows something about paintball tanks tell you if this is safe, or even owners or refs at a local field- any place that has experienced techs. Personally I wouldn't buy it because I don't want to have tank shrapnel in my face.

#7 Garribean

Garribean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

I would go to your local paintball proshop and let someone who knows something about paintball tanks tell you if this is safe, or even owners or refs at a local field- any place that has experienced techs. Personally I wouldn't buy it because I don't want to have tank shrapnel in my face.

He's used it before as is.

#8 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • 15,640 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

That doesn't mean its safe. Tanks would probably work fine 10 years out of hydro, but you'd be stupid to do it.

Awarded: " the biggest dumbass on this forum" 2012

#9 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

Post this picture in the Ninja Tech thread around here. There's a Ninja tech who will lwt you know if he thinks the tank is safe or not.

EDIT: Here's the link to the Ninja Paintball Forum. ninjapaintball is really good with answering questions.

http://www.techpb.co...p?showforum=923

Edited by PREDATOR 47, 06 January 2013 - 10:14 PM.

#10 Danny D

Danny D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

It is the right of a field owner to refuse to fill any tank they deem as unsafe. You can tell them whatever story you want, but if a field owner sees those cracks and thinks its unsafe to fill, you wont get your tank filled. Simple as that. The laws state that they have the right to refuse, and they are required to inspect before filling.

Its true the ninja tanks have something similar to this happen, but be wary. This is a PE tank, and it may be expansion stress. I would take it to a hydrotester, and they would be able to seal it back up for you if its just cosmetic. If not, I wouldnt fill it again.

You are not certified to make that decision of whether its safe or not. Take it in if you decide to buy, and remember, even if it might be good to go, it is the fillers right to refuse to fill that tank.

#11 madsnipes

madsnipes

CARNAGE 3!!!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,054 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

you will most likely be fine, it takes something like 10 000 psi to make a regular tank explode catastrophically.
however i would still get it hydrotested, i can just see you taking it to get filled and the guy possibly telling you he will not fill it because it looks too dangerous.

#12 Garribean

Garribean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:26 PM

That doesn't mean its safe. Tanks would probably work fine 10 years out of hydro, but you'd be stupid to do it.

It's not out of hydro. It's Hydro date is 02-09

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users