• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 PsychoIco

PsychoIco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

I needed some advice from people who know what they are talking about so i chose this site to start. I wanted some information on what would suit me best. I am a fairly large guy large frame, i weight 200 pounds, 90kh? roughly... i am 6'1 and my budget is approximately 600$ i am strongly interested in speed ball but i wouldnt mind a woodsball gun. so any bit of advice would help. Thanks

Jay

#2 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,054 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

Any marker but a Mini would fit you.

I believe it was the Ego series that has a big trigger frame.

#3 PsychoIco

PsychoIco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

I am also looking for all equipment.

Like pants mask everything of that sort.

#4 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • 9,054 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

Are you comfortable buying a used tank and marker?

#5 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

Is your budget 600 for everything or 600 for just the gun?

#6 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,789 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

Speedball guns work great in the woods, you dont need a milsim looking gun to play in the woods.

For your size most guns will work. The only gun you should stay away from is the invert mini as it is very small.

Price is in increasing order but check them all out: empire axe, bob long vice, bob long g6r, planet eclipse geo2 and ego 11, dlx luxe
Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#7 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,268 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

If you dont have a high end mask try a bunch on and buy one before anything else

#8 PsychoIco

PsychoIco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

My budjet is $600 for all my eqiupment.

[quote name='kingJurzy' timestamp='1357527008' post='3128756']
Any marker but a Mini would fit you.

I believe it was the Ego series that has a big trigger frame.
[/Ya ive been looking at some used i just dont know what to look for in a marker because im new to paintball

#9 PsychoIco

PsychoIco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

Its for everything but i wouldnt want a chest protector or gloves...

#10 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,268 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

Its for everything but i wouldnt want a chest protector or gloves...

First buy a nice mask like, the Empire E-Flex Sly Profits, etc. Ty them all on before buying one. After that a carbon fiber tank is the most important thing, followed by a force feed loader. After these are budgeted in THEN start looking for a marker.

#11 PsychoIco

PsychoIco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

[quote name='BurningPlaydoh' timestamp='1357584605' post='3129001']
[quote name='PsychoIco' timestamp='1357582647' post='3128988']
[quote name='PREDATOR 47' timestamp='1357527537' post='3128763']
What is the difference between sly and dye? they both look cool but i would like them to fit in my budjet i dont want to spend to much money on a mask i was thinking like $100 and i might have to expand my price range

#12 tapotts05

tapotts05

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

Yea an ego or geo 2 and up..get eclipse if you don't want to have too much maintenance....also bob long has some bigger frames but require more teching

#13 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

Some nice masks:
Dye I4-Great, but is extremely small so it might not fit people with larger faces- $110
Sly Profit- Nice mask that has a lot of padding and foam, as well as double straps for a more secure fit. Harder to hear in than others, however- %100
Empire EFlex- My personal favorite mask; it has nice foam as well as a very flexible bottom to allow for more bounces.
Vforce Grillz- Great mask, very inexpensive, and although the lenses aren't thermal like the others, still prevents fogging by an antifog baked into the lenses.- $80-90.
I would suggest trying them on first, and see what you like.

Now for the loader
I would either go straight to the high end loaders such as the Dye Rotor, Virtue Spire, Empire Z2, and Pinokio, even used if you're on a budget would be great. If you cannot afford it or you are just looking at new, look at the Empire Scion or the Spyder Fasta. Do not skimp and try to get by by getting a cheap loader, because in the future when you buy a better gun, you'd just need to buy a loader to keep up.
For a tank, honestly, you could go with most any brands of Carbon Fiber HPA tanks out there, Gorilla Air, Ninja, Crossfire, or Draxxus. But the best would be the Ninja tanks simply because of the regulator that comes on it is the best one out there. The carbon fiber tank itself is all the same, the regulator makes the actual difference. Always go with compressed air.

Now by the time you bought all this, you'd be set back by around 350-370 bucks, leaving you with around 230-250 for a marker.
For a marker, go with the GoG eXTCy, I'll leave others to explain why this is the best choice for a first marker. After that, for gear, elbow pads and kneepads are the first to get. Then some good paintball pants. Afterwards, gloves; they help out much more than you think they do. After all that, you can go ahead and get yourself a nice jersey, because the jersey really is all just for show, and to make yourself more or less unique out on the field.
But before you go buying all this gear, just go out and play a few times. You'll know what you need then.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#14 soccer72727

soccer72727

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

Most important first, get a good mask. Pretty much get any mask with thermal lenses. Plan on spending between $60 and $110. Empire E-Flex is one of the best on the market, it is also better for bigger guys because it breathes easily and is a great size.

If you want a speed ball marker, in this price range, assuming you are getting all of your equipment for under 600, the Planet Eclipse Etha is you best bet, $350. The Tippman Crossover is really nice but it is $430. Proto rail is another choice for $250. if you decide on the proto rail and you decide to try i4's even thought they are slightly small on guys with big faces, ANS is having a pretty good sale right now. http://www.ansgear.c...1kiti4black.htm

Tippmann A5 isn't a great speedball gun because its hopper is so huge, but it shoots well and is only $180. you can also save money on a hopper because it comes with the cyclone which can shoot about 25 bps reliably if you decide to upgrade the trigger. $230 if you get the response trigger model and $280 with electronic grip.

Not huge shooting difference between the guns
Reliability: Crossover, Etha and A5 win this category. The Crossover and A5 are even better because they can shoot mechanically as well as electronically.

Recoil: about the same for all.

Sound signature, they are all fairly similar, not big enough difference to be considered

Ergonomics: The A5 is the only non speedball specific gun, which means it is the only one without a good double trigger. there isn'e a big enough difference to comment otherwise.

Weight: The A5 is pretty heavy but the rest of the guns i mentioned are all similar.

Maintenance: The Etha has the easiest maintenance of the bunch

Conclusion: The Etha is the best pick for the money. All of the aforementioned markers will work fine for you size-wise.

Next is HPA tank. I would suggest a carbon fiber tank, that runs anywhere from 110-180, depending on brand, size, and quality. expect to spend $160 on a 68 cubic inch/4500 psi tank (most versatile size). Ninja tanks are the best but are a tad expensive. crossfire and guerrilla are also good brands to get. steel tanks work but hold less air and are heavier. co2 would only work with lower end tippmann guns, is unpredictable, obsolete, and it causes guns to leaks, especially at high rates of fire.

Then the hopper, go for a pinokio on ANS http://www.ansgear.c...ders_s/1239.htm they are only $100 right now.

Paintball clothes aren't a big deal, I would suggest not to waste money on them, except for pads. I would suggest getting some knee pads. I doubt you will be crawling much so you dont need elbow and other types of padding aren't necessary and are personal preference. The exact knee pads dont really matter, but in my experience, they will probably fall down periodicall unless if they are knee and shin pads. my favorites are these. http://www.ansgear.c...neeshinpads.htm $56

Just try to wear cleats or good shoes for your feet.

Sample Setups (my sample options of what I might buy)
Best setup but over budget: E-Flex($110), Etha($350), Crossfire carbon fiber tank 68/4500($160), Pinokio($100), Empire shin and knee pads($55) = $880
Closer to Budget: Standard thermal mask ($60), Etha($350), Cheap carbon fiber tank ($110), invert too ($74), empire knee only pads ($40) = $634
In Budget: Same as above but with proto rail($250) = $534
At budget woodsball setup: E-Flex($110), A5 with Etrigger ($280), Crossfire 68/4500($160), (has its own hopper included), Empire Knee and shin pads($55) = $605

Good Luck!

#15 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,268 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

Most important first, get a good mask. Pretty much get any mask with thermal lenses. Plan on spending between $60 and $110. Empire E-Flex is one of the best on the market, it is also better for bigger guys because it breathes easily and is a great size.

If you want a speed ball marker, in this price range, assuming you are getting all of your equipment for under 600, the Planet Eclipse Etha is you best bet, $350. The Tippman Crossover is really nice but it is $430. Proto rail is another choice for $250. if you decide on the proto rail and you decide to try i4's even thought they are slightly small on guys with big faces, ANS is having a pretty good sale right now. http://www.ansgear.c...1kiti4black.htm

Tippmann A5 isn't a great speedball gun because its hopper is so huge, but it shoots well and is only $180. you can also save money on a hopper because it comes with the cyclone which can shoot about 25 bps reliably if you decide to upgrade the trigger. $230 if you get the response trigger model and $280 with electronic grip.

Not huge shooting difference between the guns
Reliability: Crossover, Etha and A5 win this category. The Crossover and A5 are even better because they can shoot mechanically as well as electronically.

Recoil: about the same for all.

Sound signature, they are all fairly similar, not big enough difference to be considered

Ergonomics: The A5 is the only non speedball specific gun, which means it is the only one without a good double trigger. there isn'e a big enough difference to comment otherwise.

Weight: The A5 is pretty heavy but the rest of the guns i mentioned are all similar.

Maintenance: The Etha has the easiest maintenance of the bunch

Conclusion: The Etha is the best pick for the money. All of the aforementioned markers will work fine for you size-wise.

Next is HPA tank. I would suggest a carbon fiber tank, that runs anywhere from 110-180, depending on brand, size, and quality. expect to spend $160 on a 68 cubic inch/4500 psi tank (most versatile size). Ninja tanks are the best but are a tad expensive. crossfire and guerrilla are also good brands to get. steel tanks work but hold less air and are heavier. co2 would only work with lower end tippmann guns, is unpredictable, obsolete, and it causes guns to leaks, especially at high rates of fire.

Then the hopper, go for a pinokio on ANS http://www.ansgear.c...ders_s/1239.htm they are only $100 right now.

Paintball clothes aren't a big deal, I would suggest not to waste money on them, except for pads. I would suggest getting some knee pads. I doubt you will be crawling much so you dont need elbow and other types of padding aren't necessary and are personal preference. The exact knee pads dont really matter, but in my experience, they will probably fall down periodicall unless if they are knee and shin pads. my favorites are these. http://www.ansgear.c...neeshinpads.htm $56

Just try to wear cleats or good shoes for your feet.

Sample Setups (my sample options of what I might buy)
Best setup but over budget: E-Flex($110), Etha($350), Crossfire carbon fiber tank 68/4500($160), Pinokio($100), Empire shin and knee pads($55) = $880
Closer to Budget: Standard thermal mask ($60), Etha($350), Cheap carbon fiber tank ($110), invert too ($74), empire knee only pads ($40) = $634
In Budget: Same as above but with proto rail($250) = $534
At budget woodsball setup: E-Flex($110), A5 with Etrigger ($280), Crossfire 68/4500($160), (has its own hopper included), Empire Knee and shin pads($55) = $605

Good Luck!

For those prices you could get a used Vice/Marq/Ego/DM etc. and a used Rotor or Z2.

#16 PsychoIco

PsychoIco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

Some nice masks:
Dye I4-Great, but is extremely small so it might not fit people with larger faces- $110
Sly Profit- Nice mask that has a lot of padding and foam, as well as double straps for a more secure fit. Harder to hear in than others, however- %100
Empire EFlex- My personal favorite mask; it has nice foam as well as a very flexible bottom to allow for more bounces.
Vforce Grillz- Great mask, very inexpensive, and although the lenses aren't thermal like the others, still prevents fogging by an antifog baked into the lenses.- $80-90.

Now for the loader
I would either go straight to the high end loaders such as the Dye Rotor, Virtue Spire, Empire Z2, and Pinokio, even used if you're on a budget would be great. If you cannot afford it or you are just looking at new, look at the Empire Scion or the Spyder Fasta. Do not skimp and try to get by by getting a cheap loader, because in the future when you buy a better gun, you'd just need to buy a loader to keep up.
For a tank, honestly, you could go with most any brands of Carbon Fiber HPA tanks out there, Gorilla Air, Ninja, Crossfire, or Draxxus. But the best would be the Ninja tanks simply because of the regulator that comes on it is the best one out there. The carbon fiber tank itself is all the same, the regulator makes the actual difference. Always go with compressed air.

Now by the time you bought all this, you'd be set back by around 350-370 bucks, leaving you with around 230-250 for a marker.
For a marker, go with the GoG eXTCy, I'll leave others to explain why this is the best choice for a first marker. After that, for gear, elbow pads and kneepads are the first to get. Then some good paintball pants. Afterwards, gloves; they help out much more than you think they do. After all that, you can go ahead and get yourself a nice jersey, because the jersey really is all just for show, and to make yourself more or less unique out on the field.
But before you go buying all this gear, just go out and play a few times. You'll know what you need then.

Thank you very much dude you helped me so much!

Would you guys recomend trying to buy a loader and a tank together on ebay or kijiji or something? because im trying to save as much money as i can so i can get a good marker.

#17 soccer72727

soccer72727

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

Some nice masks:

Now for the loader

Thank you very much dude you helped me so much!

Would you guys recomend trying to buy a loader and a tank together on ebay or kijiji or something? because im trying to save as much money as i can so i can get a good marker.

If you can find a good deal, sure. Occasionally you can find good deals here and there. Just make sure the hydro date on the bottle is recent enough. Bottles need to be tested every 5 years. Bottles have the date they were made on them so if it has been 5 years since then, or since the most recent hydro date on the tank, then expect to add another $30 or $40.

A good place to get a tank for cheaper is here: http://shop.swapmytank.com/ . They sell used tanks that they have hydro tested for good prices.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users