• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 ThePaintballer123

ThePaintballer123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

I really feel that i need to get into shape for paintball. I currently am 5'4" and 135 lbs. my current diet is:
Breakfast
Cereal ( Cheerios, rice crisys, and raisin bran, not all at the same time, I switch every week)
Cup of milk
2 cups of water

Lunch
3 slices of turkey and 2 slices of cheese on whole wheat bread
Apple sauce
1 serving of goldfish
An Arnold Palmer

Dinner
Some type of meat w/ some type of pasta or starch w/ a vegetable

Any advice or suggestions for my diet? Also a good workout plan would be helpful

#2 sonicx059

sonicx059

Killer of Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

I feel the same as you do in regards to getting in shape, although my diet is a lot more liberating then yours.

In regards to working out I get lazy when I have no one to be competitive with.

Although I must ask, what is it you are trying to improve.

For me it would be my Cardio.

602420_508306232582957_760957084_n.jpg

#3 sonicx059

sonicx059

Killer of Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

Somehow magical double post.

Edited by sonicx059, 09 January 2013 - 06:10 PM.

602420_508306232582957_760957084_n.jpg

#4 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,070 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

Cut out the starches, eat less cereal and chips, and exercise more.

#5 Globemasta III

Globemasta III

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

cut carbs, increase protein, weight trainging, and CARDIO
OFWGKTA

#6 ThePaintballer123

ThePaintballer123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

I don't like chips😐 and ok so like eggs instead of cereal?

#7 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

• Members
  • 9,070 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

I don't like chips😐 and ok so like eggs instead of cereal?

Goldfish are crackers which I call chips Posted Image.

#8 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • 21,883 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

Posted Image

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT • 09 Impulse • HB REV-i • Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor • Grillz • PE 70/45 • Feedback - 23/0/0

Fear is the mind-killer

#9 etekgirl27

etekgirl27

Uber Member

• 13,946 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

Best "nutrition" advice you can get is not to listen to a majority of the people who post on this site. Just saying.

My Feedback

Gearbag Sale

#10 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

• Members
  • 9,070 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

Posted Image

lol I don't eat them, I had a brain fart.

#11 ThePaintballer123

ThePaintballer123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:19 AM

Best "nutrition" advice you can get is not to listen to a majority of the people who post on this site. Just saying.

Oh

#12 ThePaintballer123

ThePaintballer123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:21 AM

I was kind of hopin mike would post

He usually gives good responses to these type of things

#13 Hzuiel

Hzuiel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

Foods that are generally healthy and good for you....

Meats: Chicken, turkey, tuna, egg whites(can be found in powder form for shakes and other recipes.) All relatively low in fat and high in protein. Tuna has omega fatty acids as well.

Nuts: Almonds, walnuts, pecans. All have omega fatty acids, and some have antioxidants. Eat in moderation as most have quite a bit of fats.

Tea: Green tea and other herbal teas have antioxidants and are generally good for you.

Grains: rice, oats, and wheat are good hearty grains, and when eaten in more natural forms have a good deal of dietary fiber. They contain little fat, moderate amounts of protein, and high amounts of carbohydrates. I tend to prefer long grain brown rice.

Vegetables: almost any. Even ones that contain fat like avocados have other health benefits, as long as they are eaten in moderation. Carrots, broccoli, fresh spinnach, tomatoes(technically a fruit) and others are very good and combine well with other meals. Celery is often cited as a diet foot, and though it has benefits such as high soluble fiber, it is low in nutritional value compared to many vegetables, so don't eat pounds of it trying to lose weight.

Fruit: almost any. Some are higher than others in carbs, but most provide low calorie snacks with plenty of vitamins. Some have antioxidants like blueberries. Blueberry, strawberry, mango, banana, pineapple, all very good for you.

Beans: Almost all beens are high in protein and carbs, and low in fat or fat free. Lentils are cheap as dirt and somewhere around 10g protein 70 calories per serving. Beans are also a high fiber item which is good for you.

Dairy: Greek yogurt. It's high in protein, relatively low in overall calories, fat, etc. Whey protein powder can be good but i tend to prefer eggwhite protein powder. There are also powders available based on bean and grain proteins. I've just read that egg whites have a better spread of amino acids and other nutrients.

As far as exercise goes, cardio is king. The more you work your heart, the stronger it will be, and the easier all high intensity activities will be. Stretching and things like yoga or pilates will give you the core strength and flexibility you need. Weight lifting can be good, but I would favor lower weights, higher reps, and a greater variety of exercises. You'll see a lot of weight lifters only hit 6 or 7 stations in a given day, do as much weight as they can, in few reps and sets. That is for bulking up and not the kind of training you need for paintball.

Eat as often as you can, in smaller portions. That keeps your metabolism up and keeps you fueled to exercise. As an example, for breakfast instead of box cereal i'd have a banana and a half cup of 2% or 0% greek yogurt with a tablespoon of some natural fruit preserves and maybe a packet of stevia or splenda(if you can stand that stuff), and a slice of whole wheat toast with a low calorie butter spread. Keep in mind "whole wheat" can mean very different things. I've always eaten really hearty bread that you can tell isn't heavily processed, since i was a kid. At lunch i'd cut a slide of cheese and replace mayo with mustard. If you're not a big mustard fan i'd try coarse ground mustard instead of plain yellow, and they also have some flavor mustards that are spicy, or have garlic, and different things. Most are low or 0 calorie. i'd replace the goldfish with a carrot, and stalk of celery and a handful of grape tomatoes. You could dip them in bit of fat free dressing if that helps. They've come a long way in making fat free dressing edible. I have no idea what an arnold palmers is. Is that a drink? Try brewing green tea with a light amount of honey, and then add some stevia or splenda to taste. Replace the apple sauce with an actual apple, preferrably a small tart apple, not a big red delicious. Dinner is probably fine. Turkey and chicken with a serving of brown rice, a serving of beans, and as much steamed vegetables as you can cram in yourself.

Work your way up to 30-45 minutes of running every day. Look up a stretching routine and do that morning and evening, every day. do a pilates dvd and something like zumba or taebo every other day, because it engages lower body muscles that are not used when running in a straight line. Hit the gym 3 times a week if you have access to one and do like i said, low weight with high reps and sets, on as many machines as you have time to hit. If you really wan to to step your game up, do short interval, high intensity training like line sprints, because that's what you do often in paintball, sprint as fast as you can possibly move, from one bunker to another, or off break. If you can, get a heart rate monitor and wear it while you run. As you get more comfortable with running for 30-45 minutes, start pushing yourself to get your heart rate up to around 150-160 bpm for the bulk of that time. It's usually good to build up, so you might spend the first 5 minutes taking it slow, next 5 minutes going a bit faster, and then start pushing it. Be sure to stretch before running or lifting as well. The pilates should stretch you enough before whatever your followup workout is.

As far as progression I'd recommend making your base the daily running, and start with that, and only that. If you have to start out walking, that's fine. Work your way up to 30-45 minutes of running gradually, and once you have that as a daily routine that you never miss, then go for the every other day routine. Then the weight lifting, until you have a complete physical fitness routine. Don't forget the twice daily stretching, and stretching before running.

Edited by Hzuiel, 10 January 2013 - 10:29 AM.

#14 Tri City Extreme

Tri City Extreme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:15 AM

Cardo will help, but if you can get your hands on XSV Hellweek. They can give you some ideas about getting in shape and different works out to do that are targeted for paintball players

#15 Solowing

Solowing

THESE SCALLOPS ARE RAW!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:06 AM

I agree

Start lifting. Go to a gym and workout your entire body. Cardio is good however it wont help you when it comes to activities that require muscular strength. Also, with more muscle on your body, at rest you will burn more calories during the day so i say lift and do cardio. What I do is I isolate parts of the body such as chest and then i will run for 10 minutes at a high intensity. I go through the body over 4 days with different Ab work outs every day. Then 2 days of the week I do interval runs. this will get you in great shape.
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and become awesome.... true story

#16 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,593 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

I agree

Start lifting.

Inb4 'Do you even lift?'

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#17 PaintJunkie

PaintJunkie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:33 AM

For starters, depends on what your goals for 'in shape' are. Do you plan to put on muscle? Or do you want to focus on cardio. If you want to bulk up you need to eat a LOT more than you are and hit the gym hard 4 times a week. I would suggest going for a run on two of the off days. Start witha short mile then work up on distance. Your goal should be to be able to do cardio for a solid 25-30 minutes nonstop. As for the gym http://forum.bodybuilding.com/ is your holy grail. Hope this helps man.
What I Rock:
Marker: Clone GT/Etek4 Pooty style
Mask: Grill/i4
Hopper: Spire/Rotor
Deadmau5 beanie

#18 Bunneh

Bunneh

Weekend Baller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:30 AM

hey, im 13 and with my plan I'vevlost about 50 pounds. First, cut out the pasta, I love pasta but it had to go. Then work on a nice excercise, say run 2 mile a day. This is a great technique. Once you feel more comfortable with running ramp it up to 3, or higher (I currently do 4 mile per day at 6 mph takes 40 minutes) This technique blocks out the need for extreme diet because it is replaced with extreme cardio. Once your ready to build a good excercise is 30 pushups, 3 20 second planks, 3 sets of curling 25 pound dumbells 30 times on each hand.
Hope this helps,
Rory

Edited by Bunneh, 04 May 2013 - 08:33 AM.

#19 Bigmac977

Bigmac977

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:11 AM

Best place to start is run. Keep a regimented schedule of some sort of circuit training, ie, windsprints. It will boost your metabolism, lower your resting heart rate, and is great for Cardio.
As far as foods go, I recommend using some sort of food catalogue like an app that you record your daily food intake in ("my fitness pal" is great). Remember, carbs are good, good carbs that is. Stay away from white flours, and eat whole grains. One thing that is usually overlooked is sodium; keeping a low sodium intake will help you keep off unneeded water weight, and make you "feel" more fit :P
Hope this helps!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users