Photo

Rotor v. Spire v. Z2

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Poll: Rotor v. Spire v. Z2 (55 member(s) have cast votes)

Well...?

1. Rotor (23 votes [41.82%])

Percentage of vote: 41.82%

2. Spire (21 votes [38.18%])

Percentage of vote: 38.18%

3. Z2 (11 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Jarz

Jarz

Workin' that post count back up...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,917 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

Hey guys, I'm hear with some hopper questions today. I currently have a Z2, and don't get me wrong, it's great, but I just want to try something new. I'm debating between trying a Rotor, Spire, or to keep my Z2.I guess I should list what I want in a hopper...

- Easy to Take Apart. My Z2 can really suck when it gets dirty, and I want to be able to have a loader I can clean easily to get back on the field.
- Decent Profile. I just don't want a huge hopper, but size isn't my main priority.
- No Frequent Jams. It's not currently an issue, but I use field paint a lot, and don't want a loader jamming up.
- Battery Efficiency. I like a loader with battery life.
- Durability. I want to be able to have a loader I won't be paranoid about.

So, umm... I guess that's it. Help?
Posted Image

#2 Pakistani

Pakistani

www.AliZaman.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

there have been tons and tons of threads about this already. look through this forum and you will find them.

that being said, neither the spire or the rotor will be that much better than your z2. IMO, out of the 3, there is no 1 clear winner in any one category.
if you already have a z2, i dont think its worth the time, effort, or money to get a new hopper.

KPS Paintball VCU Rams Richmond Rage

If you need help with a Dye gun, PM me!

#3 sameagol26

sameagol26

I am BTDeltafan101

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

To put it plain and simple, I like the Rotor for reliability and ease of use but the Z2 for it's profile and all around sleekness. I currently own a Z2 and have so for months and it is great. Had one break inside it one time which was a bitch to clean but now that I know how, It isn't so bad.
Posted Image
My Youtube Channel --> BTDeltafan101

#4 Fssto

Fssto

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

Love my z2. With the z2 you get a lower profile and three different in jamming methods if for some reason it does jam (never does). The automatic, rip drive, and the back button. the unjam fin on the rotor doesn't work most of the time and jams more often than people admit. I can't talk for the spire, never used it before. But between z2 and rotor I would pick z2 every time. One thing that the rotor does have an advantage in is cleaning. Easy disassembly. This is all my personal opinion not saying one is better than the other this is what I have observed.

#5 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,068 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

I have owned all 3 and I stayed with my spire

#6 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

Love my z2. With the z2 you get a lower profile and three different in jamming methods if for some reason it does jam (never does). The automatic, rip drive, and the back button. the unjam fin on the rotor doesn't work most of the time and jams more often than people admit. I can't talk for the spire, never used it before. But between z2 and rotor I would pick z2 every time. One thing that the rotor does have an advantage in is cleaning. Easy disassembly. This is all my personal opinion not saying one is better than the other this is what I have observed.

i would have to disagree. My rotor jams a lot less than i expected and the only jam i had was doing a drop test for fun at home where there are balls coming out close to 50 per second. Even with the dimpled paint that my field sometimes carries it still doesn't jam. But then again i have my tension adjustment screw 1/2 out from flush.

#7 Fssto

Fssto

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

My observations on the rotor come from using my buddy's rotor. I have used it quite a bit and that is what happened to me could have just been a bad rotor of the bunch but I did not care for the rotor. With the z2 I could fit 156 balls into the loader with a speed feed(+10 with lid) have not tried this with the rotor but there is not way it's a true 200 loader. But in the end it's all preference. Mine is the z2.

#8 Pakistani

Pakistani

www.AliZaman.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

My observations on the rotor come from using my buddy's rotor. I have used it quite a bit and that is what happened to me could have just been a bad rotor of the bunch but I did not care for the rotor. With the z2 I could fit 156 balls into the loader with a speed feed(+10 with lid) have not tried this with the rotor but there is not way it's a true 200 loader. But in the end it's all preference. Mine is the z2.

doesn't matter how much paint the hopper holds when all pods still hold 150. ;)

KPS Paintball VCU Rams Richmond Rage

If you need help with a Dye gun, PM me!

#9 Fssto

Fssto

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:45 AM

That is very true lol

#10 push

push

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

My spire has been great, no jams, no problems keeping up, good battery life, super easy to take apart.

#11 crash000

crash000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

spire the next gen of loaders also has benefits of rotor(dissembly 3batteries and else)
and lower profile also hold more paint

#12 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

At my field i see a lot of spires and rotors. Can someone tell me why i may not see many z2s? I have only seen 3 z2s in the last 4 times i went to my field for practice.

#13 The Knife Crazy

The Knife Crazy

Spray and Pray Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

doesn't matter how much paint the hopper holds when all pods still hold 150. ;)

Before Each Game I try to fill my hopper to the limit to help with off the break shootouts ;)

If You're Not in the Front, You're Doing it Wrong

Current Setup:
Empire Axe in Gun Metal Grey with Matching Freak Barrel Kit
Dye Rotor
Ninja 50/4500

#14 Phantom05

Phantom05

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

I personaly like the rotor because of the shape the spire looks squarer where the rotor has a rounded shape. The rounded shape helps you wrap bunkers better

#15 The Business Man

The Business Man

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

I currently use a Rotor and it has constantly proved itself as the most reliable loader on the market. These things barely ever jam, (I have not yet gotten a jam) they have rather simple disassembly, and have great battery life. The Spire, however, is a damn good loader for it being out for this amount of time. The Spire literally never jams, has ridiculously easy disassembly, and now has cool colors like the rotor.

To summarize

Rotor:
+Close to no jams
+Low Profile
+Great battery life
+Rather simple disassembly
-Doesn't hold as much paint as Spire

Spire:
+Literally no jams
+Lower profile than the Rotor
+Extremely simple to disassemble
+Actually holds 200 paintballs
-Not too many speed feed options
-Battery life kind of sucks

If I had the money, I would get a Spire

#16 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

I have a rotor so i can comment on it.
Rotor:
+can't go wrong with it
+doesn't really jam as some people will tell you. i have put 10 cases through it, so far no jams.
+nice battery life
+really easy to disassemble
+low profile
-little heavy
+easy on paint

One of my teammates has a spire and wishes he got a rotor. His reason is that the spire behaves strangely when it is low on paint. What should i tell him?

#17 Hebiki

Hebiki

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,220 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

ditto.

Posted Image
Professional Web & Graphic Designer | Web Development

Converting your ideas into a graphic reality and giving it a web presence - Contact me | Facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks

#18 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

My Z2 caught fire and I still like it more then my rotor :D
109.gif

#19 Max00686

Max00686

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

Rotor is faster and jams less. Also, it is only 150$ on ANS, while the spire and z2 cost around 180$. Plus, my rotor has an Exalt speed feed, and the others have limited companies that make speed feeds for them and are overpriced.

#20 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:27 AM

Rotor is faster and jams less. Also, it is only 150$ on ANS, while the spire and z2 cost around 180$. Plus, my rotor has an Exalt speed feed, and the others have limited companies that make speed feeds for them and are overpriced.

?? The Z2 jams so much less then the rotor. Speed is nothing compared to consistancy, and the rotor cost $180, the Z2 is about $150. Not to mention all the speedfeeds made for the rotor are made for the Z2 with the exception f the spine.
109.gif

#21 superbadchad45

superbadchad45

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:53 AM

The Z2 works. The lid space is incredible. Opening the lid sucks as it may close if the magnet does not hold at the top. The on/off switch on the Z2 is pretty much my biggest nag about it. I loved how simple the rotor was. I didn't jam paint as often as everyone else says it does. (Maybe because I turned my stack tension down) In all honesty, I want my rotor back. Or I want to try the spire. Rotor is a badass hopper and a lot easier to clean.

#22 eightcoheed

eightcoheed

Amanda Bynes' lover.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

Rotor, only because its what I use haha

Proud member of the United States Air Force

#23 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

I also like the fact that the rotor can be a little cheaper but speed doesn't matter and it CAN jam a little more if at all. I haven't experienced a jam in 10+ cases yet and am shooting $30 paint that is dimpled.

#24 crPaliza

crPaliza

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

I've only used the Spire on the field once and so far I'm in love with it... That's all I have to say. :lol:

And yes, I've used/owned both the Rotor and Z2.

Edited by crPaliza, 26 January 2013 - 03:25 PM.

#25 Max00686

Max00686

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

Rotors are on sale for 150$, but I also believe z2's are available for the same price on zephyr. They both are high end loaders and work well so its just a matter of personal preference.

#26 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,068 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

Rotors are on sale for 150$, but I also believe z2's are available for the same price on zephyr. They both are high end loaders and work well so its just a matter of personal preference.

You need to be open to buy used.

Pick up a used rotor for $100 in mint condition.

#27 bassfisher

bassfisher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

ditto.

I traded up from a rotor to a spire and have not looked back.
Carolina Riot Scenario Team

#28 Fssto

Fssto

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

I do have to say that thE space you have to put a pod in the z2 is amazing. I have a speed feed but use the regular lid because I can actually get every ball into my loader. No need for a speed feed (my new z2 slogan)

#29 Guest_connorwarren@hotmail.ca_*

Guest_connorwarren@hotmail.ca_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:22 AM

I have the spire and it has preformed amazing thus far. I'm 10 cases or paint deep in the first set of batteries and they havent craped out yet so the battery life is great. Changing from speed feed to regular lid, for when it starts to rain is the fastest and eaiest. I've never used the rotor or z2, so thats my two cents

#30 T Flyer24

T Flyer24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

The rotor is a battle tested hopper, why do you thing you see so many pro teams use it that aren't dye sponsored? Rotors jam once every couple cases. My spire was bought used sold in a matter of days. Rotors the way to go if you want a reliable fast hopper!

#31 D.A.M.Baller321

D.A.M.Baller321

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

I'm a rotor guy myself but you already have a great hopper just leave well enough alone and stick with the z2. As the saying goes if it ain't broke don't fix it and by the sounds of it your hopper setup is fine the way it is.And jaws the spine speedfeed for the rotor sucks in my opinion that's why I replaced my with the original crown by virtue and now I'm using the tried and true exalt speedgate and its my favorite of the three speedfeeds.
My link D.A.M.Baller321 feedback
My link LNIB Dye D.A.M.

#32 Etek3am ftw

Etek3am ftw

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:10 PM

spire ftw

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users