15 replies to this topic

#1 djhatche

djhatche

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

Hey all,

So I am brand new to paintball and have played twice so far. I currently have a stock Tippmann 98 custom and wanted to know what some good (low budget) upgrades for it would be. I will be playing a mix of woodsball and indoor rec. play. I've done some research on it and have come to the conclusion that I should probably buy a cyclone feed and response trigger and that I should probably upgrade the barrel too. Any suggestions are welcome and of course if you can give an explanation as well I am always looking to learn more about the game and equipment.

#2 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,066 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

Do not upgrade your Tippmann, they are money pits and all the upgrades you can buy for the Tippmann can only be used on your 98c.

Save that money and buy better gear.

Why would you need a new barrel?

#3 djhatche

djhatche

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

No idea, ive just been reading up on upgrades and a lot of people have suggested new barrels for distance.

#4 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

• Members
  • 9,066 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

No idea, ive just been reading up on upgrades and a lot of people have suggested new barrels for distance.

Only flatline barrels and Apex barrels do that.

Barrels do not add accuracy and the Cyclone feed sucks. Save up for a new marker.

#5 djhatche

djhatche

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

Only flatline barrels and Apex barrels do that.

Barrels do not add accuracy and the Cyclone feed sucks. Save up for a new marker.

what marker would you recommend?

#6 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

• Members
  • 9,066 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

What is your budget?

#7 Pyrate Jim

Pyrate Jim

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

I could say several things.
Tippmann is the workhorse of the industry, they can handle any abuse and still keep going.
This makes them one of the favorites for fields to use as rentals.

Tippmann barrels have a lousy factory finish, but with a honing & polish can be as good as any aftermarket brand.

Tippmanns can be upgraded, but the cost of those upgrades equal or exceed the price of a marker more suited to your needs.
CT Co-ordinator ~ Paintball Marshals
http://www.pbmarshals.com/
PTI #2691 ~ C1, C2, C5, C5a, C6
Certified Master Airsmith
http://www.paintball-pti.com/

#8 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,310 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

I would HIGHLY advise against spending your money on upgrades for your 98. The money is better spent on paint or things like a better hopper, mask, loader, and gun.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#9 TinyBear

TinyBear

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

Personally i like tippmanns they may not be the most cost effective. But they will work and always work.

I personally would not reccomend doing a whole lot to it. Maybe get yaself a 14" apex 2 barrel, a good 68ci4500psi tank (FAR FAR better than CO2 for shot to shot consistancy and thuse accuracy) and a good loader (NOT THE CYCLONE get something ya can use if ya upgrade guns latter maybe a Pinokio as its very fairly priced).

and if you desire a bit moe fire power the RT is about all you will need.

That setup there will do absolutly anything you need in paintball for many many years with the exception of turnoments.
AGD 68 Automag, AGD RT ULE, Azodin KPII, Sheridan PGP 2k, Tiberius T8.1,Tippmann Pro/Carbine, Tippmann SL-68II

#10 djhatche

djhatche

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

What is your budget?

probably 2-300 atm, more if I sell the tippmann and ill be able to work away at upgrades.

#11 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

• Members
  • 9,066 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

For $300 you can find a used Axe which I REALLY recommend.

If you want to buy new and keep playing mech I really like a GoG Enmy. I want to get one for myself.

#12 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,587 posts

Look here, dont spend time upgrading your marker. Upgrades should be the last thing on your mind, in a little backpocket in your head. A good gun is a good gun, and a bad gun is a bad gun, regardless of upgrades. Upgrades normally means spending more money for things that do little, instead of playing or using it for more practical things. If you want upgrades, learn the facts of everything that applies to a paintball marker, play a whole bunch, and then you'll know what "upgrades" you need.
Also:

For $300 you can find a used Axe which I REALLY recommend.

If you want to buy new and keep playing mech I really like a GoG Enmy. I want to get one for myself.

I was one of the first people to get it. You know, not rubbing it in or anythjng jurzy;P

Edited by Orange Chicken, 11 January 2013 - 10:32 PM.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#13 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

• Members
  • 9,066 posts

http://www.ansgear.c..._Gun_s/3731.htm

Only $130 new.

#14 djhatche

djhatche

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:19 PM

thanks guys

#15 xxfeffxx

xxfeffxx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

If you upgrade a tippmann buy used. Get a old style in good shape flatline. The cylone fees is a paint chopper. Buy a used eggy or viewloader style for 15.00. A electric hopper will help with breaking paint. Keeps paint from being half in half out of the gun. The trigger is nice but I don't care for it. Rather have a long straight shot over spread fire.
If you look hard enough you can get a hopper for 15. A uses in shops shape flatline. 10.
Maybe a remote line and belt like holder with a 5+1.

#16 xxfeffxx

xxfeffxx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

Ps make sure you love the sport before buying a new gun. A 300 gun is nice.. but I'd you don't play then its usless.

I played with my 98 for two years. Then went a5 with upgrades. After a few years I went to a nice set when I knew I would be playing at least once a month every year. Just FYI

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users