77 replies to this topic

#51 drexler

drexler

Nutrition is my Mission

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

I'm gonna side with Frank on this one. He asked nicely, on multiple occasions, and Social Paintball flat out refused to stop spreading false information. Hopefully they work it out. but if not, this will hurt Social Paintball as far as content goes.

Anyone think that social just doesn't read FB comments? If I had a large fan page I probably wouldn't either. Frank should have a less public means of contacting Social, so why didn't he use that?

Edited by drexler, 13 January 2013 - 11:02 PM.

#52 sagestylerpb

sagestylerpb

Colorado Baller

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

I'm gonna side with Frank on this one. He asked nicely, on multiple occasions, and Social Paintball flat out refused to stop spreading false information. Hopefully they work it out. but if not, this will hurt Social Paintball as far as content goes.

Anyone think that social just doesn't read FB comments? If I had a large fan page I probably wouldn't either. Frank should have a less public means of contacting Social, so why didn't he use that?

They were arguing it in the comments section of FB. I do agree it could have been handled in a not so public forum.

It will all blow over soon, but I think it will make Social think before they ignore Frank lol.
8/0/0

Are we doing Satan's work? Absolutely

Been scammed? PM a mod :)

#53 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

TechPB's Resident Angry Veteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:44 PM

Social usually reads comments... as they usually respond to what people have to say in said comments
Shocktech Aftershock SFL team cocker, serial number 1
Mini Orracle pump, Eclipse internals, Sanchez Machine pump kit and grip frame
Mossberg 500 ZMB

OSG Paintball biggest and best field in NH... show them some love

"I wish I had 2000 feet. So i could shove 500 of them up each of your asses!!!!" Red Foreman

#54 Schuppert3

Schuppert3

Respect the BBN

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,014 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

Wait... People still care about the NPPL lol?

yea I kept seeing banner ads for asianbeaver.com until I cleared my cache

Feedback +5/-0
Mod App

#55 NBTIppy

NBTIppy

Sterling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:08 AM

Wait... People still care about the NPPL lol?

hahaha :tup:

#56 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,116 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:45 AM

Wait... People still care about tournament paintball lol?

FIFY

Edited by cockerpunk, 14 January 2013 - 12:46 AM.

The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

#57 REDCOBRA

REDCOBRA

wow such paintball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:05 AM

I went to the SP page like this

Posted Image

thinking I would see this

Posted Image

but then I was like

Posted Image

Posted Image

#58 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:24 AM

I went to the SP page like this

Posted Image

thinking I would see this

Posted Image

but then I was like

Posted Image

All the good comments were deleted after the first 24 hours (when I checked Friday at 8am there were 163 comments, there've been a dozen since then and the total is down to 161). Particularly look at the gap between 6:05pm and 6:07pm on Thursday when Lawrence Abernathy is talking to himself but appears to be addressing Frank directly. That certainly helps push the perception of who was more childish. Maybe someone took a snapshot?
Happiness... is a warm mechanical marker

Mechanical Marker Fan: Azodin Kaos-D / Tippmann Crossover

#59 slinkyaroo

slinkyaroo

Yes, I'm old. Yes, I'm cranky.

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,864 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

You mean a media group that claims the first amendment right deletes people's posts. :o

#60 asthmaticrhino

asthmaticrhino

Skyrockets in flight! Beeewwww

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

TL;DR, people need to grow up.
Social paintball needs paintball leauges so they have things to report on, and nppl needs social paintball so they get people exposed to the leauge

Protip. Buy a shovel. Dig and Pile REPEAT until desired effect is achieved. Builds upper body and character. Bitches love upper body and character.

#61 XxJellyFilledxX

XxJellyFilledxX

Lead Farmer.

• Chat Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

As for the comment above about "This is why I'll never shoot a Vanguard", so be it, but that is a statement which is complete nonsense,

You are absolutely correct my comment was way out of line.

"You can't break a man the way you break a dog or a horse. The harder you beat a man, the taller he stands. To break a man's will, to break his spirit, you have to break his mind."

#62 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

You mean a media group that claims the first amendment right deletes people's posts. :o

I can't speak to how it happened, but that's certainly one of the two possibilities. It'd be odd, though, considering a statement from a member of Social Paintball about leaving their post up:

I speak from my personal opinion rather than representing the point of view of social paintball. Social left the post up after being threatened by frank Connell. If the post was deleted, there would be no publicly viewable evidence to explain why social paintball was banned from future nppl events. Social's motive for leaving the post up was to display the response of the nppl. I personally had no input on the decision, however, I support the company I work for, and believe they made the best choice based on the situation.

-Chris Loh

Why would they delete messages from Frank or others if their motive was to display the response of the NPPL? Would the NPPL have more to gain in deleting their own messages if said messages reflect poorly on the NPPL? One way or another, it happened. Now, I imagine we can soon go back to living life as if this whole incident never existed once NPPL and Social Paintball figure out the terms of making up.
Happiness... is a warm mechanical marker

Mechanical Marker Fan: Azodin Kaos-D / Tippmann Crossover

#63 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

The NPPL certainly has EVER right to get upset about this

If Social Paintball is going to consider themselves a "news outlet", they need to understand that people are going to rely on the information as fact

The one this with the NPPL and ANY series or scenario game, is that some players will have to travel to the event. People who plan on playing the NPPL see the information as fact, and start making travel arrangements such as purchasing airfare, it would suck to have a $500 plane ticket to an event that takes place the weekend AFTER the event.

I've played the NPPL, it's an awesome event and 7-man is hella fun to play. As a media outlet, if a company puts out the wrong information in error, you post it on your site, and then they ask you to take it down, it's courtesy to do so. You don't want to mislead any of your patrons.

If I put out there "Everyone I'm playing at EMR on March 30th! TechPB Day!" and it got posted on Catshack for instance. And then I found out I got the date wrong and it was actually March 23rd, and catshack refused to remove the incorrect information, I'd be pretty pissed at Tomcat myself.

I've known Frank for years and years, he's a great guy and he takes his job as a professional VERY seriously. Frank is also one of those people inside of the paintball industry, that if he asks you to do something silly like remove incorrect information about his business from your website, it'd be a good idea to do it.

#64 sagestylerpb

sagestylerpb

Colorado Baller

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

First after Mike!

Suck it!
8/0/0

Are we doing Satan's work? Absolutely

Been scammed? PM a mod :)

#65 Cpt Bebop

Cpt Bebop

Master of the Ellipsis...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

The NPPL certainly has EVER right to get upset about this

If Social Paintball is going to consider themselves a "news outlet", they need to understand that people are going to rely on the information as fact

The one this with the NPPL and ANY series or scenario game, is that some players will have to travel to the event. People who plan on playing the NPPL see the information as fact, and start making travel arrangements such as purchasing airfare, it would suck to have a $500 plane ticket to an event that takes place the weekend AFTER the event.

I've played the NPPL, it's an awesome event and 7-man is hella fun to play. As a media outlet, if a company puts out the wrong information in error, you post it on your site, and then they ask you to take it down, it's courtesy to do so. You don't want to mislead any of your patrons.

If I put out there "Everyone I'm playing at EMR on March 30th! TechPB Day!" and it got posted on Catshack for instance. And then I found out I got the date wrong and it was actually March 23rd, and catshack refused to remove the incorrect information, I'd be pretty pissed at Tomcat myself.

I've known Frank for years and years, he's a great guy and he takes his job as a professional VERY seriously. Frank is also one of those people inside of the paintball industry, that if he asks you to do something silly like remove incorrect information about his business from your website, it'd be a good idea to do it.

Completely agree with the concept here but I think it needs to be pointed out that this happened in 30 minutes (based on what I've seen from social). I work in an email heavy industry, 3 accounts go straight to my phone, but sometimes I still can't get around to an email faster than 30 minutes, god forbid I had to actively search through facebook comments to find the information I need to address!
Your previous statement about it blowing over is probably most accurate so far, but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth for Frank and the companies he represents.

#66 sqyire

sqyire

Maine-iac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

Wow, alot of stuff flying around in here.. let me just say first I love to play paintball. Hope we can agree on that even if you hate me, cause in paintball thats cool as you get to shoot at me in person, not throw daggers online.

Let me assure you all, there is more to this story. Most of you saw what was posted publicly, just use your imagination of what Mr. Connell sends privately. Maybe there is a chance he may piss even one of you "saints" off?? ;)

All that aside, reporting on credible "leaks" is an acceptable practice. Since the leak was their own website, it was news worthy. Any errors were labelled on the post or the post was modified with updates/changes just as any other news source would do. Just think of how many incorrect facts flow in around leaked news or live coverage. No news source takes the leaks down if they are from a credible source. They retract/ edit/ label the info as "leaked" etc. Which is what we did. Personal threats take things to a new level, especially when unwarranted and leaving no time for more professional interactions.

As for the deleted parts of the conversation... Mr. Connell deleted his comments, so most direct responses to his messages were deleted by each of us respectively as context was lost. But no worries, sure its around somewhere, but probably best for it to go die some awful "aesop's fable" death somewhere.

If you believe that a news source (or anyone) should cave in response to someone who is upset about their own organization's mistakenly "leaked info" and then makes threats, then I recommend a different country of residence other than the USA. Bullying is not ok in general. Trying to bully a Dominican from NYC is just something to avoid entirely, lol. Any of you would have handled this better.. of course... as its easy to be the arm chair idealist.

Could we have done better, definitely. Could Mr. Connell? Ask him.... Do you have all the info or knowledge of the degree to which things went so quickly.. no you don't.

Do I respect people here who stood up for their friends online, yep. Its what friends do. The ones that say nothing or run for cover when shit goes down, or cave in to bullies, just set some nasty precendent. I don't know Frank Connell at all, but I respect that he definitely isn't a guy who would leave his friends hanging. Neither are Israel or I. So, sometimes things that are alike repel each other or butt heads. Tempers flare. blah blah blah I am as guilty as anyone else but will admit it and apologize when called for.

So, please reserve judgement and soap boxes. Shit happens. Things get out of hand sometimes, how we deal with them going forward is what counts and hopefully everyone learned something from this. Me, I just added another layer of thick skin to this unappreciative industry.

I love to play paintball, I think Mr. Connell does as well. So there is something we can agree on.

--justin

Edited by sqyire, 14 January 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#67 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

I still think it would ave been wise for you to retract the info, as previously stated, it could have cost people hundreds of dollars in airfare, and hotels. Some people do things on impulse, and may even have booked before seeing the info was false. (unlikely, but still plausible) Also some people may have looked at the dates, but didn't read entirely to see the dates were in fact incorrect.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#68 slinkyaroo

slinkyaroo

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,864 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

Maybe it's just me but the nppl told you the info was incorrect and asked that it be taken down but for some reason you wanted to keep it posted. Then you thought nppl owed you an explanation. Really, who are you guys that are owed anything?

#69 etekgirl27

etekgirl27

Uber Member

• 13,953 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

This is all hilarious to me.

My Feedback

Gearbag Sale

#70 L_x

L_x

Alex

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

Social didn't remove the post because there was a lot of information on there that was very newsworthy, such as the new locations and approximate dates. Media outlets such as SocialPB like to share industry rumours/news, so this type of information is exactly what they are looking for, and what people read their posts/website looking for.

Yea, sure the dates were wrong, but they did their best to make sure everybody knew that, and the post stayed up because the locations were of great interest to the community. The first line on their website and the post on facebook explained very clearly that the dates were incorrect.

And, Frank could of just commented with the correct dates so that SocialPB could let people know. Only one event date was wrong and it seems like it was a typo rather than anything else, all the other information was correct.

At the end of the day though, this kind of drama makes the whole industry seem childish. Especially when one of the involved parties represents a paintball company and one of the largest paintball tournament series in the world.

Alex Hodge
www.hodge.co.nz | Find me on Facebook!
Freelance Paintball Product Designer

Any posts I make are from myself as an individual and do not represent the views of the companies I design for, nor do I represent these companies.

#71 HeroForADay

HeroForADay

• 8,821 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

The fact that Sqyire commented makes me giggle as a moderator here at TechPB, but on a personal level - this whole issue makes me laugh even more. It serves to remind me why so many paintball companies/individuals and associations fail so hard. They're run by incompentent, uneducated, and largely dimwitted individuals with little to no business sense. Obviously that doesn't apply to every individual/company in paintball, and luckily for us we actually have a few bright minds in the industry - but god damn, are we largely run by a bunch of fucking half-wits.

#72 TECHDP=)

TECHDP=)

I'm never online anymore.

• Players Club
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

I'm with Social Paintball on this.

Why would Frank delete his comments? Lol

#73 slinkyaroo

slinkyaroo

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,864 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

I very opinionated on this because something similar happened to my business a few years back.

There was some arse company that printed a large print phone book. In the white pages some poor guy was given our business number and in the yellow pages they listed us with Taxis. We had people calling us for cabs and yelling at us for being listed as such. The damage was done because the books were sent out.

So that's why I get angry when some media company decides to butt into another business especially with improper facts.

#74 etekgirl27

etekgirl27

Uber Member

• 13,953 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

Just saying, from a professional standpoint, no news organization worth following argues with people over social media. Also, this is why real news outlets have fact checkers. Facebook is not a method of fact checking....

My Feedback

Gearbag Sale

#75 slinkyaroo

slinkyaroo

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,864 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

Is that a fact?

#76 etekgirl27

etekgirl27

Uber Member

• 13,953 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

Is that a fact?

Idk, you better call around ;)

My Feedback

Gearbag Sale

#77 HeroForADay

HeroForADay

• 8,821 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

Just saying, from a professional standpoint, no news organization worth following argues with people over social media. Also, this is why real news outlets have fact checkers. Facebook is not a method of fact checking....

It's not like anything social does is high quality, nor is it a proffesional "news" outlet. Just look at their staff. ;)

#78 etekgirl27

etekgirl27

Uber Member

• 13,953 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

It's not like anything social does is high quality, nor is it a proffesional "news" outlet. Just look at their staff. ;)

This is true, but unfortunately ignorance is not an excuse. My best word of advice to Social would be to learn a bit about communications law before they pull stunts like this, or this could get sloppy if the NPPL is really pissed.

My Feedback

Gearbag Sale

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users