• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 IRobertus

IRobertus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:51 AM

I recently came across an old Tippman 98 Custom with an E-Bolt and LPK and decided I was going to make it the 98 I always dreamed of. When I first bought the gun it shot fine so I decided to upgrade it with everything I could buy.

After replacing the shell, rebuilding the valve, installing a male Palmers and installing a cyclone feed system I started running in to an issue with bolt chops. I have tried removing the cyclone, 2 different bolt/power tube combos and even putting all the parts back in the old shell but the gun keeps chopping paint at the bolt at any rate of fire.

The breaks are definitely at bolt and not in the cyclone itself as it would break paint even on the second or third shot using the cyclone or a halo (side feed) hopper. I am assuming that I need to adjust the dwell or possibly the psi on the reg but nothing I do seems to help.

Gun is currently running around 290 psi on the Palmers and when it shoots (without breaks) it's great. My only thought is when I rebuilt the dirty valve I threw off the pressure and possibly the bolt is not returning all the way before it tries to shoot again.

I know there are some experts still around and was hoping that someone might be able to give me some advice on dwell setting with the LPK installed. Or if it's even a dwell issue at all.

Just to clarify it is a stock Tippmann Ebolt, Tippmann LPK and the chops do not seem to be related to ROF as it will break at the bolt even while shooting slowly. Also I am using a pure energy HPA steel tank.

Any advice is much appreciated as I have a practically brand new looking 98 custom that turns into a paint sprayer anytime I use it now! I spent way too much money on this gun and if I can't figure it out I'm just going to have to throw the bolt on eBay and I would hate to give up on it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted Image

#2 Pump Player

Pump Player

Voted techpb's #1 sloth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • Location:Lutz fl, blitzkrieg paintball, orbital paintball, central Florida paintball

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

I dont know what the ebolt is but maybe put the anti chop bolt in? Sorry im not tippmann savvy

2011 proto rail + Pinokio! --- http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=222130

#3 slinkyaroo

slinkyaroo

Yes, I'm old. Yes, I'm cranky.

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,864 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

The Ebolt was a professional tourney marker. FYI. Might be a collector item in 20 years. Getting rare.

#4 fatalreaction

fatalreaction

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

is the pressure possibly too high? Ebolts are pretty rare now let alone in 20 years lol..

i haven't messed with one recently but it seems that if your pressure is still too high then it simply cycles too fast... those still use the factory rubber finger detent correct? is it installed properly?

i had an issue with one of my 98s where it would only patially feed a ball and chop because i had the detent in backwards

Edited by fatalreaction, 14 January 2013 - 10:06 AM.

#5 slinkyaroo

slinkyaroo

Yes, I'm old. Yes, I'm cranky.

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,864 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

Are you using the low pressure bolt? Can you try a softer rear spring?

#6 IRobertus

IRobertus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

is the pressure possibly too high? Ebolts are pretty rare now let alone in 20 years lol..

i haven't messed with one recently but it seems that if your pressure is still too high then it simply cycles too fast... those still use the factory rubber finger detent correct? is it installed properly?

i had an issue with one of my 98s where it would only patially feed a ball and chop because i had the detent in backwards

Definitly worried my pressure is too high, from what I have read people are able to get them down to 200psi without a cyclone. I kind of figured 290 with a cyclone sounded about right. I just wish I had a back yard or a chrono at home. Such a giant pain having to drag the gun to a field and spend all day messing with it instead of playing!

#7 IRobertus

IRobertus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

Are you using the low pressure bolt? Can you try a softer rear spring?

No spring with the ebolt (at least not one I can change) and I have tried 3 seperate bolts/tubes, including stock, Rufus Dog and the metal RAP4. All of these bolt/power tube combos should have no issues with the ebolt or LP that I am aware of.

#8 fatalreaction

fatalreaction

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

i hear ya... id say start with a tear down to check the internals and turning the pressure down..

the ebolt has a low pressure and the cyclone should work fine at that pressure i think... another option would be to get the center feed

Edited by fatalreaction, 14 January 2013 - 10:14 AM.

#9 IRobertus

IRobertus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

i hear ya... id say start with a tear down to check the internals and turning the pressure down..

the ebolt has a low pressure and the cyclone should work fine at that pressure i think... another option would be to get the center feed

Yeah I attempted another rebuild after my last day out using loctite instead of pipe tape on the valve which is now leaking (from the loctite) so I am planning on tearing it down again completely and resealing the valve with pipe tape.

If I was confident it was a feed issue (I have heard Ebolts at high bps require force feed) I would quickly go to a center feed, but since the breaks happen at any ROF and after spending enough cash on this marker to buy a new E-Phenon or almost a crossover I dont want to drop anymore cash unless I am certain it will fix the issue. Plue I really dig the cyclone feed and do not have a force feed hopper available.

I will say after all the time I have spent on this marker I can strip and rebuild a 98C faster than most!! I do miss the push pin set up on my A5 though which is unfortunatly stuck in storage 1.2K miles away! Not to mention the fact that this gun when it worked blew my A5 away for accuracy and overall performance.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users