• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 gmore70

gmore70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

January 17, 2013. I just create part 2...things are moving, so lets keep the conversation going!

Edited by gmore70, 18 January 2013 - 01:21 AM.

#2 Ironchefxingba

Ironchefxingba

Local Gun Whore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:41 PM

great video, you bring up alot of really valid points. and i think that doing lessons like that would do alot of good for some of the kids looking to really get into the sport more.
Empire Events, 65/4500 Ninja pro reg. Black/slime Luxe 1.5 w/ 2.0 board, Virtue Spire, critical stealth pack.

#3 nighthunter

nighthunter

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:39 AM

I never really thought about it like that, but giving lessons to newer players would be a great way to introduce them to the sport and get them started with their basic skills, while reassuring parents that their kids will be safe.

I can personally think of quite a few parents who won't let their kids play ball mostly because they don't know enough about it. I can also think of quite a few kids who end up leaving the sport after one or two outings because they feel overwhelmed by the learning curve that comes with the sport.

Every now and then, I'll try to coach a newer kid for awhile so he doesn't get blasted; but I don't always have the time or patience, and dedicated coaches would be a great add-on.

While I'm not sure that a dedicated national coaching commission would be enough to get paintball in the olympics, it would certainly help to get newer kids (and parents) into the game.

nighthuntersig_edited-1.png

Using a gun that's been hardly maintained and tossed from person to person more than a village whore is hardly a fair way to compare the marker.

#4 Steephill

Steephill

Dota 2 > Life itself

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:41 AM

I never really thought about it like that, but giving lessons to newer players would be a great way to introduce them to the sport and get them started with their basic skills, while reassuring parents that their kids will be safe.

I can personally think of quite a few parents who won't let their kids play ball mostly because they don't know enough about it. I can also think of quite a few kids who end up leaving the sport after one or two outings because they feel overwhelmed by the learning curve that comes with the sport.

Every now and then, I'll try to coach a newer kid for awhile so he doesn't get blasted; but I don't always have the time or patience, and dedicated coaches would be a great add-on.

While I'm not sure that a dedicated national coaching commission would be enough to get paintball in the olympics, it would certainly help to get newer kids (and parents) into the game.

I agree with everything here. I also think it'd help get rid of a lot of misconceptions out there. The 20" sniper barrels, frozen paint, etc.

My Feedback +14/-0

`kook 2/1/12 "The gold standard isn't what is most popular. By that logic, Justin Beiber is the gold standard of music."

#5 Klub

Klub

i haz a pickle

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:57 AM

This is a good idea, I'd have loved to have lessons as a beginner.

Why don't we start a national body?

#6 Nokified

Nokified

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:13 AM

It feels like every sport started out that way. Basketball. Polo. Baseball. It's all weird until there comes some strong voices.

Paintball isn't for kids.
It doesn't quite have the public image it needs. You ask most parents they'll tell you paintball is not for their kids. It's safe if used properly like everything else. Unfortunately the sport will be dubbed dangerous in most parents eyes.

Paintball has a big hurdle for newbies to overcome - the pain. Yea you got your pads and whatever but newer players aren't gonna have those. And even the idea or the sound of pain will make them refuse.

Lastly, cost. A basic setup will run you over 200$. A basketball? 20$. 30$ at most. Which one will the parents pick? The latter of course. Sure they can get a fog mask and a balloon tied on to their spider with a cone holding the balls. But what if the kid wants to get serious? He can save forever to buy a piece of the equipment because his daddy wants him to play football instead so he ain't paying. What about the paintballs themselves? Expensive. You can go to the court or a field and play basketball or football. But paintball? None of the above! You have to go to a field which cost money and buy the paintballs which cost even more money. So you got yourself a 200+$ equipment fee and a continuous 40-80$ every game depending on how much you're gonna shoot.

As I stated, there are many limiting factors such as cost, the fear of getting hurt, and the public image that paintball community needs to address with incoming parents. If we can solve these obstacles then we will be in a good position.

#7 voad

voad

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:04 AM

This is a good idea, I'd have loved to have lessons as a beginner.

Why don't we start a national body?

We had a thread a while ago where some one suggested Tech PB start giving lessons or camps through out the country. Nothing on this scale, this is an even bigger better idea. I would love to see Tech PB spear head it. I could take my god son who is just starting in this sport to a class.... and I would probably attend myself lol.

B-O-R-G spells BAMF

Posted Image
RIP

#8 nighthunter

nighthunter

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

The great thing is: paintball coaches/teachers wouldn't necessarily have to be professional players. They could just be older, more experienced players who know their stuff and are willing to show some of their tricks to others.

Classes would include things like safe marker handling, moving up the field, picking the best cover, basic communication and so on.... Basically any more seasoned player could be a coach if they had the time and patience to do so.

Using a gun that's been hardly maintained and tossed from person to person more than a village whore is hardly a fair way to compare the marker.

#9 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,301 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

I know some professional players, and HK give some lessons, but are more geared towards semi-expirienced speedballers. Lastly, getting one unified body would be very difficult, because when you look at it, we don't even have one governing professional league.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#10 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,627 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

Interesting video. First time I've realized paintball doesn't really have lessons.

Awarded: " the biggest dumbass on this forum" 2012

#11 Filmer_jake

Filmer_jake

My Hero: Bobby Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

It feels like every sport started out that way. Basketball. Polo. Baseball. It's all weird until there comes some strong voices.

Paintball isn't for kids.
It doesn't quite have the public image it needs. You ask most parents they'll tell you paintball is not for their kids. It's safe if used properly like everything else. Unfortunately the sport will be dubbed dangerous in most parents eyes.

Paintball has a big hurdle for newbies to overcome - the pain. Yea you got your pads and whatever but newer players aren't gonna have those. And even the idea or the sound of pain will make them refuse.

Lastly, cost. A basic setup will run you over 200$. A basketball? 20$. 30$ at most. Which one will the parents pick? The latter of course. Sure they can get a fog mask and a balloon tied on to their spider with a cone holding the balls. But what if the kid wants to get serious? He can save forever to buy a piece of the equipment because his daddy wants him to play football instead so he ain't paying. What about the paintballs themselves? Expensive. You can go to the court or a field and play basketball or football. But paintball? None of the above! You have to go to a field which cost money and buy the paintballs which cost even more money. So you got yourself a 200+$ equipment fee and a continuous 40-80$ every game depending on how much you're gonna shoot.

As I stated, there are many limiting factors such as cost, the fear of getting hurt, and the public image that paintball community needs to address with incoming parents. If we can solve these obstacles then we will be in a good position.

Well he was comparing it to snowboarding which is probably on par/more expensive than paintball, you have to buy a nice board, a cheap one wont do, which is at least $100, you need to buy the specific snowboarding boots another $100, and Goggles $100, and helmet and then coats etc. And snowboarding can hurt too, when you fall on ice, or just falling in general. You also mentioned a field fee, well ski resorts have a fee, now it might not be $40, but i imagine some might be close to that, plus travel. Not only to mention that snowboarding is just for half a year at the most (assuming you don't live in the mountains), paintball can be played year round.

I think lessons would be great idea to get kids into the sport and to feel more confident and not as scared and intimidated by other players.

DM12, 2011 Alien Independence, V3 Rotor, Empire 68/4500

#12 HeroForADay

HeroForADay

• 8,813 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

It's an interesting idea, and something I've thought about for years. Except, the response I got to it was less than stellar, and in many cases I was basically laughed at, or scoffed off as an idealist. I my case, I actually wrote this out rather than a video, but I had shared my ideas to some locals, which included field owners, and some local players I know quite well about trying to start this up ourselves. Unforuneately my ideas largely went unheard, and true new player lessons do not exist, although there are programs somewhat tailored to advancing knowledge and skills in more experienced players - the foundation is ignored.

I wonder if I can dig up my blog posting, and papers I had in relation to this.I touched upon referee certification, universal rule sets for the league(s), and creating a progression model for skill/feeder programs and series that was less artifical than the one we have today. Then I remembered who I was surrounded by. :dodgy:

#13 gmore70

gmore70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

It's an interesting idea, and something I've thought about for years. Except, the response I got to it was less than stellar, and in many cases I was basically laughed at, or scoffed off as an idealist. I my case, I actually wrote this out rather than a video, but I had shared my ideas to some locals, which included field owners, and some local players I know quite well about trying to start this up ourselves. Unforuneately my ideas largely went unheard, and true new player lessons do not exist, although there are programs somewhat tailored to advancing knowledge and skills in more experienced players - the foundation is ignored.

I wonder if I can dig up my blog posting, and papers I had in relation to this.I touched upon referee certification, universal rule sets for the league(s), and creating a progression model for skill/feeder programs and series that was less artifical than the one we have today. Then I remembered who I was surrounded by. :dodgy:

Do it. I am getting some very supportive emails from people that are well known in Paintball. This is getting a bit of momentum.

#14 HeroForADay

HeroForADay

• 8,813 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

Do it. I am getting some very supportive emails from people that are well known in Paintball. This is getting a bit of momentum.

I actually found my works, I file/categorize written projects of mine based on the year I worked on the original project. It's 5 pages of my ideas, and pratical/functional ways to implement it. If only I had a scanner.

#15 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,301 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

I still think it would be very difficult, because as you probably know, we can't even decide on a governing professorial league. As for referee certification I think that it should only apply to tournament refs, because I think it would be a little ridiculous to have every ref at every field have to go thorough a certification process.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

#16 cport

cport

Most Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

You know I think we may be getting off track as far as talking about professional leagues and refs. If we could have a body that covered strictly certifying instructors, this would be ideal. I have actually done something similar to this at a local field with the younger kids that wanted to get started in tournament play. This also actually doubled as a feeder type team for those that wanted to be more than just a walk-on on Sundays, but didn't know where to start. I would be more than willing to do whatever I had to to get this of the ground.
My Feedback
Posted Image <-------This is how the Army makes me feel every day!!!

#17 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,301 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

You know I think we may be getting off track as far as talking about professional leagues and refs. If we could have a body that covered strictly certifying instructors, this would be ideal. I have actually done something similar to this at a local field with the younger kids that wanted to get started in tournament play. This also actually doubled as a feeder type team for those that wanted to be more than just a walk-on on Sundays, but didn't know where to start. I would be more than willing to do whatever I had to to get this of the ground.

I was just saying that it may be hard to create one governing body, seeing that we can't even create a governing body for the professionals.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

#18 lovebunny

lovebunny

Master Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

cool idea:) ii will host a newbie day at my fiekd hats for sure.
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Muppet King!
CCM 6.5 FST Rendition Alias and other goodies FST
Feedback

#19 nighthunter

nighthunter

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

I was just saying that it may be hard to create one governing body, seeing that we can't even create a governing body for the professionals.

On the plus side, since there is no existing group of instructors, it would be easier to make one; whereas with pro leagues, there's NPPL, PSP, and dozens of other semi-pro or regional leagues that are all run by people with their own ideas of how pro ball should be played.
If the soon-to-be instructor's league accepted one single governing group from the beginning, there would not be such a mess later on.

#20 cport

cport

Most Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

Please don't take that the wrong way, I completely agree that it is ridiculous that we cant merge the two pro leagues, however there are many other sports out there that have multiple pro leagues, like Roping. I believe that if we were to direct our efforts towards the field owners and their revenue, we would have more success.
My Feedback
Posted Image <-------This is how the Army makes me feel every day!!!

#21 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,301 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

Please don't take that the wrong way, I completely agree that it is ridiculous that we cant merge the two pro leagues, however there are many other sports out there that have multiple pro leagues, like Roping. I believe that if we were to direct our efforts towards the field owners and their revenue, we would have more success.

I'm not taking this the wrong way, if that is what you are thinking. If this ever does get off the ground, I will be sure to direct it towards my boss.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

#22 Kikkia

Kikkia

Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

As a Ski instructor I had always wondered what lessons for paintball would be like. But i never gave it that much thought. Awesome points and some great observations.
Etek3 /Dye Rotor/GI 68/45

#23 Pump Player

Pump Player

Voted techpb's #1 sloth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • Location:Lutz fl, blitzkrieg paintball, orbital paintball, central Florida paintball

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

I actually found my works, I file/categorize written projects of mine based on the year I worked on the original project. It's 5 pages of my ideas, and pratical/functional ways to implement it. If only I had a scanner.

Maybe take pics of each page and put them up? I would have loved that stuff when i started out.

2011 proto rail + Pinokio! --- http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=222130

#24 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,105 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

came expecting shit

left after finding pure gold
The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

#25 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

Awesome video, I never even thought of things in this perspective. :tup:

#26 gmore70

gmore70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:22 AM

I just made part 2

#27 nighthunter

nighthunter

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:48 AM

Without restating my first post, I think it's a great idea. I think the next step toward getting this thing done would be to have a handful of field owners try it with their fields. Assuming it worked on a small scale, a push for lessons on a national scale would be only logical.
Since I don't own a field or have industry connections; my effectiveness (as well as the effectiveness of most other members here) starts to drop off. While we can talk to about it all we want; it's really up to them and the industry professionals to make things happen.
I know a handful of members here actually do have connections to make things happen; but that's mostly up to them at this point.

#28 Klub

Klub

i haz a pickle

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

I'm a ref, so i may be able to get the field owner to try lessons.

#29 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

I agree completely with getting someone like a manufacturer, or field, or tournament organization or, in short, someone with the resources to get the ball rolling. I feel a good place to start would be a manufacturer. Let's take Kee, or Empire, for example.

I've seen on YouTube they made a series of short PSA's for parents about paintball to help educate them as to what their children are asking them to let them go play on the weekends. They have offered the Free Rookie Pass, where a new player can go try paintball for free, no strings attached. They have also released the JT Splatmaster line, which is geared towards educating younger players in a fun and safe way as to how to play paintball, handle equipment, etc.

I feel that they are a company that has a similar opinion as to how we should welcome new players into the sport, easing them in safely and in a fun way. As opposed to throwing them in a game with a 30 second rundown of the rules, and then getting lit up by more experienced players.

Empire and Kee also sponsor many fields; supplying them with rental fleets, paint, and guns to purchase. Maybe if we talked to them as a community, showing them the facts you've presented in your videos, maybe they can start to implement something similar to a "Paintball 101" sort of thing. Something as simple as a 30 minutes of instruction by a field employee, or maybe even the owner to establish an environment of familiarity and taking the edge off.

Something as simple as using the chrono range to teach them how to shoot, how to properly handle a marker, and all the other simple things that are essential to playing effectively. I feel that this idea is very do-able at just about every field, if not all, and it has the possibility to make all the difference in the way paintball is perceived by those who don't play.

EDIT: The title of the instructional videos are titled "How To Play Paintball: Part 1". There are 3 parts.

Edited by PREDATOR 47, 18 January 2013 - 09:35 PM.

#30 Jerryd

Jerryd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

First time to a field it was like..

Pay up.

Get handed a mask, bag of paint and a 98..

Get a basic safety instructions. Then your on the way to a field to get shot at and learn by experience.

I was somewhat surprised there was nothing like what your suggesting offered or at least some experienced players to help out.

I suggested something close at that time, so right on target.

#31 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

Well, I have a start. I monthly bring people from my school to go play paintball, and beforehand, they all stay over at my house(or whoever offers), and at some point in the night provide a quick startup lesson for all of them: How to shoot, how to hold it, how to get to a bunker, easy do's and dont's, both playing and safety-wise. In the morning, I let them shoot at the chrono and tell them to come back and meet us when they got a good feel of the gun. To reduce prices, they all borrow guns from my friends dad who's an avid old-school paintballer, and so they only pay for paint. I teach them on the field when they play, and give them tips in the staging area. Most come back a regulars or at least to play again, whether it be on a weekly or monthly basis, they come back. Each time they come back, I give them a bit more advice. I also have friends at the field who are refs and tourny players also help me in short lessons, and they trust us.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#32 gmore70

gmore70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:07 AM

My home field is going to do this. Win!

#33 nighthunter

nighthunter

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

My home field is going to do this. Win!

Great. Keep us posted on how it works out. Hopefully once a few fields start doing it, more will follow.

#34 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,105 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

lots of fields do group-ons to try to get new players in.

how about a group-on lesson pack? like 3 lessons/days of play, 150 bucks?
The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

#35 cybermaniac15

cybermaniac15

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,450 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

Finally got around to part 2, still think this could really work. Great ideas! :tup:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users