• Please log in to reply
1650 replies to this topic

#1001 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,121 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:11 AM

why would you ever take out the headlights?

pop-up headlights are like 99% of the point of driving an 80s sports car. also, just dont buy a car with power seats, easy. there are much better and easier ways to save weight too, like AC delete, way more weight, and right where you need it, and the AC probably doesnt work anymore anyway. though again, i wouldnt do any of this unless you are building a track rat, as for a street car, you are gaining basically nothing, and doing a shit ton of work (esp if you plan to deconvert it when you sell it) and spending money.

as far as fixing things go. they are 30 year old cars now, every single thing will eventually need to be replaced, regardless of miles. if you go in knowing that, its not that bad, as they are fairly easy to fix by modern standards. these cars will nickel and dime you to death, and there are lots of "while im in here" repairs. that being said, they are realiable, and mine has never left me stranded anywhere, even when it overheated on top of a mountain in yellowstone.

i flirt with the idea of a 928 ... they are amazing cars, in every possible way. they seriously define super car, before there even was such a term. but i can't imagine the running costs ....

Edited by cockerpunk, 04 January 2014 - 12:24 AM.

The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

#1002 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

Life's too short to drive boring cars

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:34 AM

I would change the pop-up headlights for looks and the fact that GTS lights are 13kg lighter. I'd love to have a GTS looking 951, just to stand out from the crowd.

I've been down the same road with the 928, they go like no other porsche at the time, but they also cost (According to a long time 928 owner my dad knows) 3x more than any 911 or other transaxle. I think the main problem with them are the electrics in the engine.

#1003 nickp

nickp

Hippie

• Members
  • 7,768 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:16 AM

I might be able to get my hands on my uncle's old bug, and if I can I'd turn it into a Baja bug. Unfortunately it needs a new engine, and likely a new transaxle, and it'll need a new interior. Hopefully I can get parts cheap, and it gives me the chance to redo the interior how I want.

Go for it. There are tons of parts, super easy to work on, and you can probably get away with a engine rebuild instead of a whole new engine unless something is really fucked like the block being cracked.

Posted Image
proud 06' Subaru Impreza owner
king of skiers
August Burns Red "wave good by to the past. You've got your whole life to lead"

#1004 TK-421

TK-421

Me So Horny! :D

• 25,919 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:09 PM

I might be able to get my hands on my uncle's old bug, and if I can I'd turn it into a Baja bug. Unfortunately it needs a new engine, and likely a new transaxle, and it'll need a new interior. Hopefully I can get parts cheap, and it gives me the chance to redo the interior how I want.

Go for it. There are tons of parts, super easy to work on, and you can probably get away with a engine rebuild instead of a whole new engine unless something is really fucked like the block being cracked.

The problem with the engine is that it's missing, which is why it needs a new one. But I've been looking at vw engines, and people are wanting like $1500-2000 for a rebuilt one. And after crunching some numbers and seeing what other people have, it honestly might be easier to buy a bug off craigslist that is almost done and then fix that one up, as long as it has enough Baja parts to make it cost effective. I saw a guy who had his Baja bug for $850. All you have to do is rebuild the engine, give it some tlc and it supposedly should be good to go.

Seeing the cheap price I know there is more wrong with it than what he says, but an entire bug, interior, engine, transaxle, and whatever else for $850 isn't bad if I also got my uncle's bug too and could build one baja out of the two.

However, seeing as how my budget is zero, it'd be really hard to buy that bug for 850.

#1005 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,919 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:34 PM

Mom talked to my uncle, who owns the bug, and he said he doesn't have any plans for it or any energy to do anything with it, so he says it's mine if I want to do something with it. So now I need to figure out how to get some money to pay for parts and all that. Since I'm currently broke, it will be a little hard to do anything with it.

#1006 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:52 PM

Sell the paintball stuff you don't need? Sell the overall stuff you don't need, tree planting, odd jobs? Wtf am I saying, I'm still broke and jobless haha

109.gif

#1007 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:50 PM

Going to test and look at a Porsche 968 Tomorrow. It was a lot of miles on it, but it's been taken good care of by a Porsche Club member.
I just really love the look of the 968, that's a proper 90's sports car.

#1008 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,919 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:05 PM

Sell the paintball stuff you don't need? Sell the overall stuff you don't need, tree planting, odd jobs? Wtf am I saying, I'm still broke and jobless haha

I keep trying to sell my paintball stuff, and nobody wants it unfortunately. Plus it's not worth all that much. Might just have to save my pennies or something, I don't know. I need about a grand to pick up someone's project that runs, because that will be cheaper, and get me a lot more pieces, than if I paid $1500 for an engine. And after that I don't know how much more money I'll need, but I figure a few more grand.

#1009 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:10 PM

Seriously though, if you have tree planting in your area and can go out for a few trips with them, you can made a shit ton of cash pretty fast.

109.gif

#1010 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,919 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:34 PM

Seriously though, if you have tree planting in your area and can go out for a few trips with them, you can made a shit ton of cash pretty fast.

No, not that I know of, but I'll check. My problem is that I'm going to school full time and that will take up all my energy once I start a week from Monday. And then my summer will be taken up with summer school so I can try and finish my degree in time. I'm going to save my Christmas and birthday money, and whatever else I can get, and hopefully have enough money to buy someone's project around the end of summer.

Edited by TK-421, 04 January 2014 - 08:33 PM.

#1011 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:05 AM

I'm gonna buy that 968 I drove today. Holy shit what a great looking thing.

#1012 HeroForADay

HeroForADay

• 8,824 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:06 PM

There is so much modification I would do to any of that old line. They look good stock considering the era they were made, but they can be made so sick with a few aftermarket things. 

#1013 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:14 PM

The 968 is fine as it is really. This one is lowered and comes with a good stereo and some 18" 996 GT3 wheel (225 at the front and 265 at the back) It looks sick to say the least.
I wouldn't mind some 993 headlights though, the popups are abit funky, but I have no issue with them.

The 944 can become insanely cool and still keep the Porsche clean style with some after market parts.

#1014 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:21 PM

speaking of the 944, I'm helping a buddy of mine restore his :)

109.gif

#1015 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:23 PM

What kind of 944?

#1016 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:56 PM

It's an old red 1987 944 S, pretty good sept for the flat tire, engine which is in desperate need of a rebuild, the rusted out exhaust, and paint wear. The only reason he doesn't wanna start new is because he bought it before he had a kid and wife.

109.gif

#1017 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:10 AM

That could become a really nice classic car.

Counting hours until I can pick up my 968.

#1018 gibbeepbroxzor

gibbeepbroxzor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:35 PM

I'd be pretty excited!

So far I'm having a fun time driving this Sonic Turbo, but when I really move out and live in my own apartment instead of dorms, I'll probably pick up a gen 1 Miata hardtop. Maybe turbo it down the road. Always loved riding in my dad's MGB, so I've always loved the older Miata's styling. The reliability and cost effectiveness is of interest to my not-so-well funded self, haha! 

#1019 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:25 PM

I just can't feel the Miata. I don't know why. I don't think it's that I don't like small cars like that, I mean, I love the Fiat 500 Abarth.

And yeah, you can mildly say I'm pretty stoked about getting my first Porsche. About 14 years of dreaming and it's finally here.

#1020 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:24 AM

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kp1kuo6xkbE

109.gif

#1021 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,121 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:07 PM

miatas are awesome, good choice!

The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

#1022 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,919 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:41 PM

I've never been too fond of how the miata looks, but I'm not too fond of tiny little cars like that. I prefer taller and longer vehicles.

I plan on picking up a mini when I have enough money to get the awd mini and enough money to totally redo that hideous dash. I hate how the speedometer looks smack dab in the middle of the dash. I want a regular gauge cluster.

#1023 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:07 AM

Waxed the car today. It's looking good!

474905_10151903026353315_721044829_o.jpg

#1024 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:50 AM

Dead thread is dead.

#1025 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:29 PM

Dead forum is dead.

#1026 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:46 PM

Especially this thread dead is dead.

#1027 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:18 PM

I don't have Internet, I'm in the library now otherwise I'm forced to download my por.... I mean videos beforehand
109.gif

#1028 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,919 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:50 PM

Should be taking a motorcycle class early February, the first or second weekend, and hopefully getting my motorcycle license during the week, if I pass the class, which shouldn't be too hard.

#1029 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:54 PM

Always have a fapfolder hidden away.

With pictures like these. :wub:

Spoiler

#1030 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,919 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:15 PM

I'm actually unimpressed by every single picture you posted.

I much prefer something like this.

1998_Porsche_911_GT1_race_car_002_9491.j

Or something similar to this. I don't like how it doesn't have a light bar across the front of the trunk/hood, and how it doesn't have the stock hood/fenders. If I get the ability to make a baja bug, then I'm going to keep the body as stock as I can, and just lift it up, add a roof rack with a spare and some lights, and a light bar across the front.

2936026887_e0a9cc4ab5_o.jpg

#1031 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:47 PM

Wait, you're unimpressed with the Magnus Walker 911 STR and the 356 Carrera 2 but you are impressed with a 996?
Wat.jpg

#1032 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,919 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:36 PM

I actually prefer this one more, but couldn't find the picture of it.

Porsche_911_gt1_96.jpg

#1033 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:55 PM

Well that one is a lot better. The 993 is where it's at for the newest 911s.
I still like the short wheel base 911s better though. ;)

Edited by Nobben #44, 19 January 2014 - 08:04 AM.

#1034 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,919 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:17 AM

I've always been a fan of long cars with low heights and two doors. At least those are the sports cars that I like. The trucks I like need to have four doors and 8 foot bed, or those little half doors they have on extended cabs, which are actually preferred because then I'm not driving a limo around.

The only problem I have with the 911 GT1 is the super low ride height, so it can't go over speed bumps very well, which is a bummer. Plus it costs way more than I could ever afford, but I do like how it looks.

Plus I've always said that one day I'll have a car with a roll cage, or at least a harness bar, a pair of racing seats and five or six point harness for each seat. Why? Because I'm weird and different and I think it'd be fun.

#1035 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:05 AM

I've always been a fan of long cars with low heights and two doors. At least those are the sports cars that I like. The trucks I like need to have four doors and 8 foot bed, or those little half doors they have on extended cabs, which are actually preferred because then I'm not driving a limo around.

The only problem I have with the 911 GT1 is the super low ride height, so it can't go over speed bumps very well, which is a bummer. Plus it costs way more than I could ever afford, but I do like how it looks.

Plus I've always said that one day I'll have a car with a roll cage, or at least a harness bar, a pair of racing seats and five or six point harness for each seat. Why? Because I'm weird and different and I think it'd be fun.

Why would you ever drive a GT1 on something that isn't a track? If you could even get a license plate on it.

#1036 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,919 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:30 AM

Why would you ever drive a GT1 on something that isn't a track? If you could even get a license plate on it.

Because track time is expensive.

#1037 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:50 AM

If you can afford any GT1 you should afford to drive it in it's proper environment. ;)

#1038 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,919 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:02 AM

Hard to show it off when there aren't enough people on the track. You'd get more looks going to the grocery store with it. :P

And then having a guard standing at each corner of the car so nobody dings it or gets close to it while you shop.

#1039 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:17 AM

Hard to show it off when there aren't enough people on the track. You'd get more looks going to the grocery store with it. :P

And then having a guard standing at each corner of the car so nobody dings it or gets close to it while you shop.

The GT1 isn't a show-off car, that's what you have a GT2 or 3 for ;)

#1040 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,919 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:21 AM

But they don't look the same. :P

I like how the spoiler is mounted to a flat section that extends behind the spoiler, rather than being attached to the back of the curved body.

#1041 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:30 PM

That's because the GT1 is a racing car, not a street car.

#1042 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,919 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:39 PM

Which is exactly why I like it, it has better looking lines.

#1043 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,121 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:35 PM

megan coils for the spyder ordered.

#1044 SOUP

SOUP

Uber Member

• Members
  • 7,702 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:42 PM

It already looks clean as hell, keep it classy, you got a nice ride  :tup:

"Silence is a plus, violence is a must"-Tupac

---Indiana Baller---

#1045 wingmasterjr

wingmasterjr

Techpbs #1 Furry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:39 PM

Pff all these fancy cars aint got nothin on my Camry

34695_627724103905766_2054412949_n.jpg?l

Posted Image Techpbs #1 furry was here....

#1046 Klub

Klub

i haz a pickle

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,875 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:23 AM

Pff all these fancy cars aint got nothin on my Camry

34695_627724103905766_2054412949_n.jpg?l

yota power!

#1047 The_Economist

The_Economist

It's business time.

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:10 PM

Goddammit I find myself wishing my Acura would get totalled already just so I could do some new car shopping.

#1048 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:24 AM

I almost had to give my A4 Quattro away so that I could get a new car. :P

It looks great with Design 90 wheels.
1531951_10151916062678315_1236798641_o.j

#1049 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,121 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:16 AM

lovly 968 ... the last and best of the front 4s ...

just dont put the headlights up.

#1050 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:25 AM

I only drive with them up when it's night time. I would love to have 993 headlights on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users