#351 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,117 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:33 PM

got insurance on the Porsche today.

lol traction
The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

#352 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

Life's too short to drive boring cars

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:24 PM

Holy shit, a good looking Subaru. I thought they went extinct in the '90s.

Hence why I wanna import a 22b. lol

Nobben, do you remember seeing the w12 prototypes from VW? lol

Posted Image

I remember that Clio, oh shit, I mean Golf. :P

#353 ShadowZero

ShadowZero

Karma Police

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:25 PM

Goddamn. The new Wrx is pretty sexy. But that VW Corrado Concept car... Good lord I would drive that.

-My YouTube (More Videos To Come Soon!)

Set-Up: Marq Rapper, Dye Rotor, Ninja 68/45

Be a Brick Wall, Don't Break Down

#354 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

There's a couple Corrado Concept. This one is made by the same artist as the blue one.
Posted Image

And then you have this one:
Posted Image

#355 BallinColin

BallinColin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:34 PM

No other road car gets my attention like exotics :)
I love Italian cars, and the Porsche 911 may be one of the most Beautifully made cars of all time!
But no car comes close to being as exciting as a racecar!

Posted Image

Just magnificent...

#356 bassfisher

bassfisher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:21 AM

An F1 engine is a piece of art. Can you say 20,000 rpms of awesome.
Carolina Riot Scenario Team

#357 HeroForADay

HeroForADay

• 8,824 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

They're certainly interesting to work around. My cousin in Germany worked for BMW, and some of the stuff he's had his hands on are awesome. Those things suck so much air back hahahahaha.

And now they're talking maybe even trying to put KERS into mass produced cars. Lol

#358 TK-421

TK-421

Me So Horny! :D

• 25,918 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

Might be picking up a Mazdaspeed6 today, hopefully. Heading to the dealership after work to check it out and see if I like it once I actually sit in it and drive it around.

#359 HeroForADay

HeroForADay

• 8,824 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

What year? They're actually fun cars to drive. I loved my speed3

#360 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,918 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:31 PM

2007, with 90,xxx on it. Dealership wants $12,850. KBB says it's worth $12,049, carfax says to add $1,300 onto that price, so it's actually worth $13,349 or so, which isn't bad. I like the speed6 over the speed3 because the speed6 is AWD. I'm planning on rigging up an AUX input for the stereo, so I can use my ipod without having to use an FM transmitter. Then I plan on doing some intake and exhaust work, modding the ECU so I don't have to recirculate the BOV, and change the top mount intercooler to a front mount intercooler. But I'll do that over several years, to spread out the cost. The first thing I'll do though is the AUX input, since it can be done for less than $100.

The main problem is that I can't drive stick. :lol:

#361 ShadowZero

ShadowZero

Karma Police

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:07 PM

There's always time to learn!

It's not hard. Give it about a week of driving the car around daily and you'll get it down. Give it a month and then it becomes 2nd nature.

-My YouTube (More Videos To Come Soon!)

Set-Up: Marq Rapper, Dye Rotor, Ninja 68/45

Be a Brick Wall, Don't Break Down

#362 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,918 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:01 PM

The biggest problem I'll have is starting on a hill without creaming the guy behind me. Fortunately one of the parking lots at my school has a decent hill, so I'll try and practice on that. It shouldn't take me too long, I don't think. My mom can drive standard, and she'll teach me how. Then it's just doing my best to avoid the temptation to start doing stupid stuff. :lol:

#363 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:07 PM

What should I get as my first car I'm looking at something 70's till 95. I really like the trans am 75 firebird
109.gif

#364 SilentButDeadly

SilentButDeadly

I <3 old guns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:13 PM

The biggest problem I'll have is starting on a hill without creaming the guy behind me. Fortunately one of the parking lots at my school has a decent hill, so I'll try and practice on that. It shouldn't take me too long, I don't think. My mom can drive standard, and she'll teach me how. Then it's just doing my best to avoid the temptation to start doing stupid stuff. :lol:

Best to learn on a car you don't care so much about ;) I learned to drive a stick shift in an old'n'busted 1989 Jeep Comanche pickup.
As seen on: PBreview IOG

#365 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

TechPB's Resident Angry Veteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:21 PM

Best to learn on a car you don't care so much about ;) I learned to drive a stick shift in an old'n'busted 1989 Jeep Comanche pickup.

that poor jeep... but, at least you learned on a bad ass jeep...
Shocktech Aftershock SFL team cocker, serial number 1
Mini Orracle pump, Eclipse internals, Sanchez Machine pump kit and grip frame
Mossberg 500 ZMB

OSG Paintball biggest and best field in NH... show them some love

"I wish I had 2000 feet. So i could shove 500 of them up each of your asses!!!!" Red Foreman

#366 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,918 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:30 PM

Well I got the car, just got back from the dealership, had mom drive it home since she can drive stick. I work stupidly early on saturday, so I'll go out in the afternoon and practice in the parking lot at her work, since it will be dead. Shouldn't be too hard to get the hang of, but hard to master. Just have to overcome my lack of confidence, and soon enough I'll be driving a super fun car.

#367 SilentButDeadly

SilentButDeadly

I <3 old guns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:44 PM

It was old'n'busted before I got to it! Was a great little truck though. We converted it to 4wd and put 32's on it, so it was slow as whale with the little 2.5L 4 banger. It was awesome in the snow, except to put it into 4wd you had to get under the truck and manually actuate the lever on the transfer case :lol: I'm pretty sure my dad still has that truck somewhere.

I drive this when I visit home now :D
Posted Image

Edited by SilentButDeadly, 03 April 2013 - 10:45 PM.

#368 HeroForADay

HeroForADay

• 8,824 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:52 PM

First gear is always the hardest to get down, the rest are easy. lol

#369 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,918 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:58 PM

That's what I'm expecting. Starting from a dead stop is the tricky part, and starting on a hill is even harder, but I'll get the hang of it eventually. I didn't buy it just to let mom always drive it because I can't get the hang of it. :lol:

#370 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:19 PM

It was old'n'busted before I got to it! Was a great little truck though. We converted it to 4wd and put 32's on it, so it was slow as whale with the little 2.5L 4 banger. It was awesome in the snow, except to put it into 4wd you had to get under the truck and manually actuate the lever on the transfer case :lol: I'm pretty sure my dad still has that truck somewhere.

I drive this when I visit home now :D
Posted Image

not a bad looking YJ... only your headlights are not the right shape....

my next jeep will either be a JK-8 or a CJ-7/8... the chances of finding a scrambler in good condition in my area though is slim to none.... which is why i want a JK-8
Mossberg 500 ZMB

"I wish I had 2000 feet. So i could shove 500 of them up each of your asses!!!!" Red Foreman

#371 SilentButDeadly

SilentButDeadly

I <3 old guns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:49 PM

not a bad looking YJ... only your headlights are not the right shape....

my next jeep will either be a JK-8 or a CJ-7/8... the chances of finding a scrambler in good condition in my area though is slim to none.... which is why i want a JK-8

Eh... I don't mind the square headlights so much. We were going to put a CJ nose on it, but it never panned out.

My dad is in the Jeep business and we've had a few Scramblers come through. They were all complete rust-buckets unfortunately. The hard top on that YJ is from a scrambler, it has a tiny little pickup bed and we used a CJ style tail-gate so it flips down instead of to the side. It's mostly used for firewood duty.

Edited by SilentButDeadly, 03 April 2013 - 11:53 PM.

#372 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:34 AM

only reason i would want a scrambler is for the tub... i can put the tub on an LJ frame and fit it with coil overs and have a perfect overland truck.... saddly, i will never be able to afford the price tag on a Brute Double Cab... thats my ultimate jeep right there... a cummins 4BT powered Brute.... but, i dont have 145k to put down on one... which is why i want either a scrambler or jk-8... much cheaper, pretty much the same thing... a cj-7 would be great for a weekend wheeler... but i want a good overland vehicle... something i can pack up and hit the trail for a week or 2 with some friends

Edited by OEFVeteran, 04 April 2013 - 01:37 AM.

Mossberg 500 ZMB

#373 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:06 AM

First gear is always the hardest to get down, the rest are easy. lol

Especially if you drive a Diesel. :D

Ahh, the memories of the first time I got in a Diesel BMW before I got my licence.
The smell of clutch was pretty strong.

#374 TinyBear

TinyBear

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:44 AM

Yeah ya get the hang of it before long you don't even think bout it.

And actually diesels are often easier to learn on as they make FAR more TQ off idle and are thus less likely to be stalled they just require shifting sooner as they generally run out of RPM sooner.

Edited by TinyBear, 04 April 2013 - 04:09 AM.

AGD 68 Automag, AGD RT ULE, Azodin KPII, Sheridan PGP 2k, Tiberius T8.1,Tippmann Pro/Carbine, Tippmann SL-68II

#375 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:11 AM

Yeah ya get the hang of it before long you don't even think bout it.

And actually diesels are often easier to learn on as they make FAR more TQ off idle and are thus less likely to be stalled they just require shifting sooner as they generally run out of RPM sooner.

Normal Diesel cars are so damn touchy at low RPM in first gear.

#376 canscom

canscom

Lest we forget the soldiers. who saved our country

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:17 AM

Anyone got some pointers for driving stick
Stop worrying about how you look, and start worrying about how you play. Get out on the field and play paintball the best you can, not stand at home in front of a mirror trying to figure out if your jersey matches your eyes.

#377 Woodyballer29

Woodyballer29

Brass Eagle Fanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:34 AM

2007, with 90,xxx on it. Dealership wants $12,850. KBB says it's worth $12,049, carfax says to add $1,300 onto that price, so it's actually worth $13,349 or so, which isn't bad. I like the speed6 over the speed3 because the speed6 is AWD. I'm planning on rigging up an AUX input for the stereo, so I can use my ipod without having to use an FM transmitter. Then I plan on doing some intake and exhaust work, modding the ECU so I don't have to recirculate the BOV, and change the top mount intercooler to a front mount intercooler. But I'll do that over several years, to spread out the cost. The first thing I'll do though is the AUX input, since it can be done for less than $100.

The main problem is that I can't drive stick. :lol:

Anyone got some pointers for driving stick

I guess I can help you both out. Probably the biggest thing is to transfer evenly, what I mean by that is when you shift, release the gas and push the clutch in at the same time but smoothly. So say you're shifting into third, start releasing your foot on the gas and apply the clutch with your other foot. Once the clutch is in all the way move the shifter up, across, and then up again. Once your in third, then do the same thing you did to get into third except backwards.

On a side note check out this sexiness

.I never know what to put in these things.

#378 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,117 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:37 AM

They're certainly interesting to work around. My cousin in Germany worked for BMW, and some of the stuff he's had his hands on are awesome. Those things suck so much air back hahahahaha.

And now they're talking maybe even trying to put KERS into mass produced cars. Lol

KERS would be awesome in a car like the FRS/BRZ ....
The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

#379 BallinColin

BallinColin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:11 PM

Or a Prius :P

#380 HeroForADay

HeroForADay

• 8,824 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

Or a Prius :P

Anybody who bought the Prius should be exterminated.

#381 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:54 PM

Starting on a hill is easy peasy. If you're somewhat scared of it just leave the e-brake on, slowly let out the clutch until it engages and pop the e-brake. Shouldn't ever roll backwards using that method. Kind of hard to use at a light or stop sign though (on a hill)... It all comes down to practice and familiarity with the vehicle. After a couple weeks you won't think anything of it. And you'll sure as hell never forget how to drive stick once you've learned.

Edited by XGC_Cheevo, 04 April 2013 - 05:55 PM.

#382 BallinColin

BallinColin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:24 PM

Why? the Prius is an incredibly economical car. It's probably the best car you can buy regarding fuel economy, and its a very safe car too!
For the average american who doesn't do any driving other then to and from work, or drive their kids around, you really can't beat the Prius. With gas prices going up and up, it makes perfect sense to get a car that gets you the most miles out of your precious petroleum. It may not be the most exciting car you can buy, and i would much rather get something sportier, however i completely respect anyone's decision to get one.

Don't bash the prius dude, not cool...

#383 HeroForADay

HeroForADay

• 8,824 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:44 PM

It's soulless, and I swear that every single person who owns one is simply an incompetent driver. It's about as bad as the owners of beige corollas...

Is the fact that its ugly as fuck and stupid people allowed the sale of something so hideous. The Prius is the antithesis of anything related to automotive love, and it's made for people who can't see anything other than a big number next to fuel economy. Lll

#384 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,918 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:46 PM

Starting on a hill is easy peasy. If you're somewhat scared of it just leave the e-brake on, slowly let out the clutch until it engages and pop the e-brake. Shouldn't ever roll backwards using that method. Kind of hard to use at a light or stop sign though (on a hill)... It all comes down to practice and familiarity with the vehicle. After a couple weeks you won't think anything of it. And you'll sure as hell never forget how to drive stick once you've learned.

Yup, using the e-brake is what I've dubbed the "Seattle Trick", since it's what my grandpa learned once he moved to Seattle, and he taught it to mom, and he told me about it, but never drove with me often enough to teach me how to use it. I've driven stick a little before, but not enough to really learn how, but that's okay, I have my own car now, so I'll be learning it now. Hopefully the clutch is included in the 2 year Powertrain warranty I bought. :lol:

#385 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,918 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:48 PM

Why? the Prius is an incredibly economical car. It's probably the best car you can buy regarding fuel economy, and its a very safe car too!
For the average american who doesn't do any driving other then to and from work, or drive their kids around, you really can't beat the Prius. With gas prices going up and up, it makes perfect sense to get a car that gets you the most miles out of your precious petroleum. It may not be the most exciting car you can buy, and i would much rather get something sportier, however i completely respect anyone's decision to get one.

#386 cavemag

cavemag

R.I.P Borg.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:35 AM

My 21 year old civic gets better mileage and is a lot more fun to drive that a Prius.
Posted Image

#387 TinyBear

TinyBear

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:21 AM

Actually if you do some reasearch the Prius is actually a very poor choice in automobiles. It is a status symbol car for people to appear green. But in fact the Prius is anything but green. To manufacture one Prius parts are sourced from nearly all corners of the globe witch means lots of shipping witch is far from green.

Add in the fact that a Prius is not even that efficient on fuel. A Diesel VW blows the Prius out of the water economy wise and they started producing them back in the 1970s.

In every way there are far better options than a Prius. And don't think I'm just a hybrid or import hater. I actually drive a Toyota myself (Tacoma I use the pickup). And am an advocate of a hybrid done right (engine only acts as a generator no direct drive to the wheels). Unfortunetly the only company currently doing the hybrid thing correctly is Chevy with the Volt and it is a bit too pricey.

Personally if I needed economy as a priority I'd do what I done in the past. Pick up a Diesel VW I have owned a 1986 Golf diesel that got on average 45mpg and I owned a 2004 Jetta TDI that would net around 50mpg avg with 60mpg easily possible if driven non aggressively (my best was 57 but the car was loaded down with people and luggage at the time). My brother even had a 2003 Golf TDI heavily modified for performance that actually got even better mileage and averaged 55mpg and DID get over 60mpg offten.
AGD 68 Automag, AGD RT ULE, Azodin KPII, Sheridan PGP 2k, Tiberius T8.1,Tippmann Pro/Carbine, Tippmann SL-68II

#388 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:25 AM

Are you serious? No, incorrect. Engines have gotten much more efficient, smaller 4 cylinders and diesels can match or get better mileage than a Prius nowadays, and they are cheaper and nicer than a Prius. The Prius is expensive, takes a lot of resources to build, and STILL can be beaten in fuel economy and performance simultaneously by a more conventional car with a smaller engine.

In short, if you own a Prius, I think you are ignorant and you didn't do your research.

#389 canscom

canscom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:26 AM

Actually if you do some reasearch the Prius is actually a very poor choice in automobiles. It is a status symbol car for people to appear green. But in fact the Prius is anything but green. To manufacture one Prius parts are sourced from nearly all corners of the globe witch means lots of shipping witch is far from green.

Add in the fact that a Prius is not even that efficient on fuel. A Diesel VW blows the Prius out of the water economy wise and they started producing them back in the 1970s.

In every way there are far better options than a Prius. And don't think I'm just a hybrid or import hater. I actually drive a Toyota myself (Tacoma I use the pickup). And am an advocate of a hybrid done right (engine only acts as a generator no direct drive to the wheels). Unfortunetly the only company currently doing the hybrid thing correctly is Chevy with the Volt and it is a bit too pricey.

Personally if I needed economy as a priority I'd do what I done in the past. Pick up a Diesel VW I have owned a 1986 Golf diesel that got on average 45mpg and I owned a 2004 Jetta TDI that would net around 50mpg avg with 60mpg easily possible if driven non aggressively (my best was 57 but the car was loaded down with people and luggage at the time). My brother even had a 2003 Golf TDI heavily modified for performance that actually got even better mileage and averaged 55mpg and DID get over 60mpg offten.

Instead of typing all that just say the batteries are worse for the environment then well everything
Stop worrying about how you look, and start worrying about how you play. Get out on the field and play paintball the best you can, not stand at home in front of a mirror trying to figure out if your jersey matches your eyes.

#390 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:42 AM

All I know is that the Prius is a killer insurance wise. I'd rather buy a ricer.. and I hate ricers
109.gif

#391 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,117 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

guys, car forums have moved on. totally stupid and ignorant train-wreck threads are now about the volt, not the prius.

which is a great car BTW by any measure for the majority of there owners. soulless, no fun, boring, ugly, all accurate, but guess what guys .... the car industry isn't about making sports cars, its about making money selling cars. our small niche is lucky enough to get the cars we do get. the simple fact is most people drive there car to carry people and things from one place to another, something the prius is exceedingly good at.

#392 HeroForADay

HeroForADay

• 8,824 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:31 PM

Fuckin' world.

Edited by HeroForADay, 05 April 2013 - 04:34 PM.

#393 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,918 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:54 PM

This should help a lot to anybody else who is new to driving a manual.

#394 canscom

canscom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:24 AM

Fuckin' world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcQu73d3Z2E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dRRp-BaXgY

That made the hair on my arms stand up

#395 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:03 PM

to put fuel economy into perspective, Cummins has been working on a new 4BT engine for light trucks and suv's... the onler 4BT's will yield upwards of 35MPG highway in geared right in nost jeeps and small trucks... they are not hte fastest turbo diesels, but they are dmn efficient engines... the new 4BT that Cummins and Nissan have been working on, which is funded in part by the US DOT is said to yield upwards of 50MPG highway in a properly designed SUV, or truck...

i used to work for the NH Audubon Society, i was one of their camp instructors for their summer environmental camp... the entire building was rebuilt and was given a 100% green and energy star rating the lastyear i was there, the building was so efficient, that with their solar panel array they were atually able to put power back into the grip, PSNH (local power company) sent them a monthly check because of it... this institution, needless to say, was very environmentally conscious... all their pick up trucks ran on bio diesel that was made form teh left over fry oil from local fast food joints... they even bought a fleet of priuses... well, withen the first year 2 of their new hybrid uber fuel efficient prisuses had battery issues, and the internal batterys had to bereplaced... cost about 7 grand per vehicle for the battery alone... once they found out the the batteries were not disposed of, but stored in a sealed facility becuae of how toxic they are... they sold every rous they had... last i heard they were useing bio diesel cars and ford focuses... moral of the story, the prius leaves a lerger carbon footprint then any other car on the market (i am lumping these types of hybrids together, like teh honda insight). the batteries cant simply be disposed of, they have to be stored, they are highly toxic to the environment, more so then the emisions from any diesel or MoGas car...

so no, the prius is not a green car
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#396 bassfisher

bassfisher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

^ finally somebody who agrees with me about the prius

less eco more F1.

Edited by bassfisher, 06 April 2013 - 08:24 PM.

Carolina Riot Scenario Team

#397 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,918 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:35 PM

I've been reading that the batteries from the Prius, and other electric/hybrid cars, can be recycled with close to no waste. They don't just sit in some storage shed, or in a landfill somewhere, they get taken apart and recycled. Doesn't mean that priuses aren't still way worse than people claim they are, but the batteries don't sit around in storage for decades because they're hazardous.

#398 SimplyDunham

SimplyDunham

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:26 AM

This probably makes me sounds kinda stupid, but I just cant drive a Prius or a volt for that matter. To quote Ricky Bobby "I wanna go fast." I know that as far as fuel economy goes they are about as good as it gets, but I like a car that has the best of both worlds. Some BHP and at least decent fuel economy. Maybe i'm ignorant but its just how I roll.

Edited by SimplyDunham, 07 April 2013 - 02:31 AM.

#399 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:40 AM

the prius isnt the best in fuel economy anymore... maybe 10 years ago it was... but a 4cyl well tuned turbo diesel will always be king of the fuel economy race... i've seen 4BT cummins powered wranglers that are hitting 40+mpg highway running 33-35 inch tires, just have to gear it right.... and yeah, they make highway speeds....

as for the prius and insight batteries, it may have changed in the past few years, but those batteries used to be non-recyclable... they were pretty much giant LiPo battery... i knew 2 families that had honda insights and both their cars had the batter burst on multiple occasions... they ended up just getting new cars....
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#400 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:31 AM

to put fuel economy into perspective, Cummins has been working on a new 4BT engine for light trucks and suv's... the onler 4BT's will yield upwards of 35MPG highway in geared right in nost jeeps and small trucks... they are not hte fastest turbo diesels, but they are dmn efficient engines... the new 4BT that Cummins and Nissan have been working on, which is funded in part by the US DOT is said to yield upwards of 50MPG highway in a properly designed SUV, or truck...

i used to work for the NH Audubon Society, i was one of their camp instructors for their summer environmental camp... the entire building was rebuilt and was given a 100% green and energy star rating the lastyear i was there, the building was so efficient, that with their solar panel array they were atually able to put power back into the grip, PSNH (local power company) sent them a monthly check because of it... this institution, needless to say, was very environmentally conscious... all their pick up trucks ran on bio diesel that was made form teh left over fry oil from local fast food joints... they even bought a fleet of priuses... well, withen the first year 2 of their new hybrid uber fuel efficient prisuses had battery issues, and the internal batterys had to bereplaced... cost about 7 grand per vehicle for the battery alone... once they found out the the batteries were not disposed of, but stored in a sealed facility becuae of how toxic they are... they sold every rous they had... last i heard they were useing bio diesel cars and ford focuses... moral of the story, the prius leaves a lerger carbon footprint then any other car on the market (i am lumping these types of hybrids together, like teh honda insight). the batteries cant simply be disposed of, they have to be stored, they are highly toxic to the environment, more so then the emisions from any diesel or MoGas car...

so no, the prius is not a green car

This man speaks the truth. If someone wants to be environmentally conscious, they can go get a diesel, whether it be in a truck or small car, and they can go run it on frying oil. Getting all the oil and cleaning it might be a pain, but it's worth it. Every restaurant I've ever worked at just throws the stuff in the trash, I bet if you go to one and ask they will gladly give it to you for free. And with a little work driving around town, you could have a car that gets much better mileage, will run longer, and makes less emissions while running on free fuel. I'd like to see someone beat that with a hybrid.

Fun fact, when Rudolf Diesel came up with the design for his engine, it was originally supposed to run on vegetable oil and things like that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users