1650 replies to this topic

#401 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

TechPB's Resident Angry Veteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:28 AM

there was a custom shop in my college town called KTM Auto (no affiliation with KTM Motor Sports) that sold a bio-diesel upgrade kit for every diesel engine on the road... kit cost about 5 grand, replaces all the fuel lines and other critical parts that teh ethanol could corrode over time.... at the time, the ethanol used to make the bio-diesel was about a buck a gallon... all you had to do was pay for the ethanol and the shop made the fuel in their shop... one of my friends had this conversion done to his old mercedes diesel... he was getting on average 50MPG... he filled up once a month if he did any heavy driving...

i know some states have strict regulations for the disposal of fry oil and such... and most places would be much happier to have someone take it off their hands for free rather then have to pay to have it disposed of in accordance with state ordnance.... make the fuel isnt hard, just takes time and practice
Shocktech Aftershock SFL team cocker, serial number 1
Mini Orracle pump, Eclipse internals, Sanchez Machine pump kit and grip frame
Mossberg 500 ZMB

OSG Paintball biggest and best field in NH... show them some love

"I wish I had 2000 feet. So i could shove 500 of them up each of your asses!!!!" Red Foreman

#402 TK-421

TK-421

Me So Horny! :D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,918 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

This probably makes me sounds kinda stupid, but I just cant drive a Prius or a volt for that matter. To quote Ricky Bobby "I wanna go fast." I know that as far as fuel economy goes they are about as good as it gets, but I like a car that has the best of both worlds. Some BHP and at least decent fuel economy. Maybe i'm ignorant but its just how I roll.

There's a reason I drive a Mazdaspeed 6. B)

as for the prius and insight batteries, it may have changed in the past few years, but those batteries used to be non-recyclable... they were pretty much giant LiPo battery... i knew 2 families that had honda insights and both their cars had the batter burst on multiple occasions... they ended up just getting new cars....

Yeah, battery technology has changed a lot over the years. It's been over 10 years since the first Prius came out, I'm sure that with new technology the batteries are totally different, and more recyclable.

#403 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

An electrolosis water fuel cell is the way to go... we made a small one in high school chem class... on a single 12oz bottle of distiled water we ran the little car for almost 24 hours on a treadmil
Mossberg 500 ZMB

"I wish I had 2000 feet. So i could shove 500 of them up each of your asses!!!!" Red Foreman

#404 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

Life's too short to drive boring cars

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

I saw a McLaren SLR and a Ferrari 599 in town yesterday.
That's two stupidly expensive cars here in Norway. :blink:

And a Prius isn't really that economic. Ever see when Top gear tested this? A BMW M3 used less fuel than the Prius driving at the same kind of speeds.

Edited by Nobben #44, 07 April 2013 - 12:39 PM.

#405 SilentButDeadly

SilentButDeadly

I <3 old guns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

And a Prius isn't really that economic. Ever see when Top gear tested this? A BMW M3 used less fuel than the Prius driving at the same kind of speeds.

Yea... if you flog your Prius you're obviously not going to be getting top MPG. Anything Jeremy Clarkson says or does should probably not be used as foundation for an argument. Unless you were being sarcastic, but then why no :dodgy: ?
As seen on: PBreview IOG

#406 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

Yea... if you flog your Prius you're obviously not going to be getting top MPG. Anything Jeremy Clarkson says or does should probably not be used as foundation for an argument. Unless you were being sarcastic, but then why no :dodgy: ?

Because a Prius is so incredibly slow you almost have to flat it out to get to 60. And if you want to go faster you're fucked.

#407 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:18 PM

The prius wasnt designed to go fast... it was designed as a daily driver... comparing it to a high performance car is assinine... of course a car designed to drive at hifher speeds is going to get better performance numbers at said speeds... that being said, I still think all these hybrid cars are silly... the american public seems to think that because diesel engines produce black smoke that they are soooo bad for the environmnet... when in fact, if you breathed the air directly out if the tail pipe of a modern diesel, it would be cleaner then most air in densly populated areas...
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#408 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:30 PM

The prius wasnt designed to go fast... it was designed as a daily driver... comparing it to a high performance car is assinine... of course a car designed to drive at hifher speeds is going to get better performance numbers at said speeds... that being said, I still think all these hybrid cars are silly... the american public seems to think that because diesel engines produce black smoke that they are soooo bad for the environmnet... when in fact, if you breathed the air directly out if the tail pipe of a modern diesel, it would be cleaner then most air in densly populated areas...

That's my point. It's too dull.

#409 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:47 PM

Compare a prius to other cars in its class, you will still see that there are cars out there that are more efficient. The prius is a mid pack car numbers wise... most ive ever personally seen a prius get mpg wise was 36 driving on a highway with the cruise control on...
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#410 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:21 PM

Compare a prius to other cars in its class, you will still see that there are cars out there that are more efficient. The prius is a mid pack car numbers wise... most ive ever personally seen a prius get mpg wise was 36 driving on a highway with the cruise control on...

It does poor in it's own class, which is a class of boring cars. :D
Yes I hate the Prius.

#411 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:23 PM

The prius is marketed as a eco car, as bad or good as it might be the main audience is the general public who believe that. It's not exactly supposed to be a car anyone here thinks is amazing, nevertheless I like it a lot more than the insight
109.gif

#412 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:14 PM

The prius is marketed as a eco car, as bad or good as it might be the main audience is the general public who believe that. It's not exactly supposed to be a car anyone here thinks is amazing, nevertheless I like it a lot more than the insight

Posted Image

Edited by Nobben #44, 07 April 2013 - 06:27 PM.

#413 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:23 PM

Posted Image

Post up a pic that works, why don't ya. :P

#414 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:27 PM

Look again. ;)

#415 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:31 PM

I like Jeremy Clarkson, he makes me laugh a lot.

#416 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:58 PM

I like Jeremy Clarkson, he makes me laugh a lot.

Haha he's the best
109.gif

#417 FireFly*

FireFly*

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

:huh:

#418 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:27 PM

i hate jsut about every hybrid on the market.... if only car manufactures made a hybrid that ran the same type of powerplant as that bad boy....

Posted Image

most badass hybrid ever... its a diesel/electric.... clamied to have a 200 mile range on battery power only...
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#419 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,119 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

now you are just buying the VW TDI hype.

bryces pruis averages 50 mpg on the highway, and above that in city driving. this is better then ALL VW TDIs, and with a cheaper fuel. TDIs are more fun, don't get me wrong, but they are not more efficient, and have a MUCH longer payback period.

Edited by cockerpunk, 08 April 2013 - 10:27 AM.

The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

#420 TinyBear

TinyBear

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

bryces pruis averages 50 mpg on the highway, and above that in city driving. this is better then ALL VW TDIs, and with a cheaper fuel. TDIs are more fun, don't get me wrong, but they are not more efficient, and have a MUCH longer payback period.

Not true my 2004 Jetta TDI averaged 50mpg mixed driving. And near 60mpg highway my best was 58mpg. My brothers 2003 Golf TDI was modded with a Chip/Programmer, Intake and exhaust was averaging 55mpg mixed with over 60mpg on the highway, His best was 62mpg. Hell even my 1986 VW Golf Diesel managed an average around 45mpg no matter were ya drove it. And that was a fully mechanical car NO fancy computers.

The Prius is ALL Hype. Always has been. Hybrids can work well but not designed like the Prius, The Chevy Volt is a much better design.

Edited by TinyBear, 08 April 2013 - 11:00 AM.

AGD 68 Automag, AGD RT ULE, Azodin KPII, Sheridan PGP 2k, Tiberius T8.1,Tippmann Pro/Carbine, Tippmann SL-68II

#421 HeroForADay

HeroForADay

• 8,824 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

Hybrid done right:

Posted Image

#422 SimplyDunham

SimplyDunham

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:40 PM

Diesel fuel economy is truly awesome my friends VW Jetta is a little diesel and he can usually gets around 50 MPG probably more. That is outstanding gas mileage and seeing as how I hate the Prius anyways. I don't see why you would buy anything other then a diesel if you were all about MPG. There's other reasons to buy a diesel of course, just for me that would be one of the biggest ones.

Edited by SimplyDunham, 08 April 2013 - 01:41 PM.

#423 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,119 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:45 PM

Not true my 2004 Jetta TDI averaged 50mpg mixed driving. And near 60mpg highway my best was 58mpg. My brothers 2003 Golf TDI was modded with a Chip/Programmer, Intake and exhaust was averaging 55mpg mixed with over 60mpg on the highway, His best was 62mpg. Hell even my 1986 VW Golf Diesel managed an average around 45mpg no matter were ya drove it. And that was a fully mechanical car NO fancy computers.

The Prius is ALL Hype. Always has been. Hybrids can work well but not designed like the Prius, The Chevy Volt is a much better design.

by removing the emissions equipment or driving an older TDI that does not have it (mk4s didn't, and old 1980s certainly didn't), sure your millage will improve substantially. but comparing these cars to a modern prius makes no sense at all, esp if you are also gonna say prius' arnt green .... well TDIs, before the mk5 generation are also TERRIBLE for the environment.

volt is not a hybrid. its a range extended electric car.

Edited by cockerpunk, 08 April 2013 - 01:47 PM.

The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

#424 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:13 PM

Where did I ever mention vw tdi? Only diesel I respect is the cummins
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#425 TinyBear

TinyBear

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:57 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Prius was introduced in 2000 and ran in that config till 2008 I believe. There for a bone stock 2004 VW Jetta TDI as I used to own that did get better mileage in every kind of driving was a equal and fair comparison. The 04 did have emission controls but no were near as advanced as today's. My old man also had a 2004 Jetta Wagon TDI with the Auto. His was almost solely driven on the highway and netted him an average of 52mpg.

I can not comment on the current automotive offerings for diesel as I not been in the market since 2008 when I sold my last diesel.

But I can comment on diesel vs hybrids in big rigs. As I fix them for a living. And it is very true the diesels economy has dropped immensely over the years. The Detroit series 60 pre emissions managed 8mpg hauling 80,000lbs 4axle trailers. The 2007 egr and dpf emission equipped Detroit diesel series 60 hauling the exact same trailers only manage 5mpg or so. BUT the new Detroit DD15 has recovered some of that mileage with far lower particulate emissions (the only thing diesels are worse for emissions wise). The DD15s seem to be running 6-7mpg with even better power than the 07s.

As for the VOLT not being a hybrid I beg to differ. The Electric motor may be the Only drive to the wheels but it uses a Gasoline engine to charge the batteries. So regardless what ya want to call it. It is a FAR better more efficient means of transport than a Prius.

Edited by TinyBear, 08 April 2013 - 06:23 PM.

AGD 68 Automag, AGD RT ULE, Azodin KPII, Sheridan PGP 2k, Tiberius T8.1,Tippmann Pro/Carbine, Tippmann SL-68II

#426 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,918 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:04 PM

Wonderful, my car is still at the shop, and will be for most of tomorrow, but hopefully not wednesday. Drove it around friday, after buying it wednesday, and it had some weird clunking noise up front under the engine when you turned the steering wheel, even when the car was completely stopped, and you could feel something through the steering wheel when it did that. There was also a funny burning smell, and mom thought there might be something suspension related as well. Gave them a call, they said their repair shop was busy saturday, so we brought it in this morning. Got a call back from the guy at the repair shop, apparently an engine mount is sagging, a shaft seal in the transmission is leaking fluid, there is some part of the suspension that is leaking, and a bushing on the rear sway bar needs to be replaced. All on a car we just bought wednesday, and they said it went through their shop, was given a thorough inspection, and was given a clean bill of health. So now the two shops are supposed to be talking together and figuring out what to do. If I'm given the bill, I'll be ticked. Apparently the guy at the shop passed all of the info along to the warranty people and are waiting for a judgement from them, and did that before I called the place I bought the car from. So now it's all a waiting game to see who is going to do what and how long it will take to get my car fixed.

At least I'm getting better at driving it. Just need to practice a lot more before I get confident enough to take it out on the roads with other drivers. But I can't, since it's at the shop. :angry:

#427 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,119 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Prius was introduced in 2000 and ran in that config till 2008 I believe. There for a bone stock 2004 VW Jetta TDI as I used to own that did get better mileage in every kind of driving was a equal and fair comparison. The 04 did have emission controls but no were near as advanced as today's. My old man also had a 2004 Jetta Wagon TDI with the Auto. His was almost solely driven on the highway and netted him an average of 52mpg.

I can not comment on the current automotive offerings for diesel as I not been in the market since 2008 when I sold my last diesel.

But I can comment on diesel vs hybrids in big rigs. As I fix them for a living. And it is very true the diesels economy has dropped immensely over the years. The Detroit series 60 pre emissions managed 8mpg hauling 80,000lbs 4axle trailers. The 2007 egr and dpf emission equipped Detroit diesel series 60 hauling the exact same trailers only manage 5mpg or so. BUT the new Detroit DD15 has recovered some of that mileage with far lower particulate emissions (the only thing diesels are worse for emissions wise). The DD15s seem to be running 6-7mpg with even better power than the 07s.

As for the VOLT not being a hybrid I beg to differ. The Electric motor may be the Only drive to the wheels but it uses a Gasoline engine to charge the batteries. So regardless what ya want to call it. It is a FAR better more efficient means of transport than a Prius.

2004 is an mk4 TDI, it does not have the post combustion fuel injection to get rid of the SOx and NOx inherent in diesel combustion. this started on the mk5s, and has continued.

the volt is a range extended electric car. its not a hybrid because 1. under normal conditions it does not use the engine to charge the battery 2. the engine has no linkage to the motion of the car both of which all other hybrid cars do/have.

#428 TinyBear

TinyBear

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:39 PM

I am aware of this the 04 had EGR though witch was not equipped on earlier diesels. All I was saying is if you got a 04 Jetta tdi and an 04 Prius the Jetta is more economic and enviro friendly (Prius manufacturing is inherently NON green compared to the manufacture of more conventional designs).

Do keep in mind as far as diesels go Cars trail in tech to that of transport trucks. Trucks have been running DPF filters since 07 and they hurt there economy. But with advancements in high pressure rail fuel injection, pilot injection, urea injection and innovations like detroites APT (auxiliary power turbine). Diesels ARE getting there economy back with more power and few emissions.

And also keep in mind Hybrid tech is FAR from new. It's just relativly new to automotive industry. Locomotives and Heavy equipment liked Catapillers 797. These diesel electrics have no direct connection from engine to the wheels yet have been considered hybrids for far longer than Toyota or Honda been doing it there way.

#429 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,119 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:18 PM

And also keep in mind Hybrid tech is FAR from new. It's just relativly new to automotive industry. Locomotives and Heavy equipment liked Catapillers 797. These diesel electrics have no direct connection from engine to the wheels yet have been considered hybrids for far longer than Toyota or Honda been doing it there way.

they are hybrids though, because under normal operation, they do use the engine to charge the batteries. essentially the batteries and electric motors are a form of transmission.

this is not the case in the volt. the volt is designed to run fully electric at all times, charged from the wall. and only when extra range beyond what the batteries can provide, then the engine will kick in.

#430 TinyBear

TinyBear

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:45 PM

Like I said call it what ya like but from a pure mechanical stand point the Volt is a FAR better design than a prius. And if ya actually drive one they are far quicker to boot nice thing about electric motors is full torque right from 0rpm.

Got to drive one last summer and it did impressed me but not to the tune of the $40k price tag. My money still be better spent on the cheaper diesel options thanks.

Now if only one of the company's would bring me the small Diesel engined pickup I'd be set. Till then my little 4 banger Toyota works for me.

#431 ShadowZero

ShadowZero

Karma Police

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:48 PM

But how long can the volt go without needed the engine to kick in?

-My YouTube (More Videos To Come Soon!)

Set-Up: Marq Rapper, Dye Rotor, Ninja 68/45

Be a Brick Wall, Don't Break Down

#432 HeroForADay

HeroForADay

• 8,824 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:53 PM

I wonder if they can ever (atleast in my lifetime) fully utilize hydrogen as a fuel source for vehicles.

#433 TinyBear

TinyBear

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:08 PM

From what I Remember something like 30-40miles on electric alone. After that the 1.4l engine/generator kicks in to supply the electricity to the electric motor. Running this way it is considered a series hybrid no physical mechanical drive from engine to wheels.

The electric motor produces 150hp and 270lbs of tq. Which is plenty for day to day use.

For comparison my old 1986 VW golf diesel. It had a 1.6l naturally aspirated diesel and Pumped out 52hp and 77lbs/tq. My 04 Jetta TDI with the PD 1.9l turbo diesel made 100hp and 177lbs/tq.

#434 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:56 PM

Posted Image

this is the jeep renegade concept from a few years ago... it had a smal 4cy diesel to generate power, and each axle had an electric motor to provide power... on batteries alone, the estimate was 200 mile range.... for comparison, my 05 grand cherokee with the 4.7l v8 gets about 350 miles per tank... its got a 25 gallon tank....
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#435 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,119 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:30 PM

Like I said call it what ya like but from a pure mechanical stand point the Volt is a FAR better design than a prius. And if ya actually drive one they are far quicker to boot nice thing about electric motors is full torque right from 0rpm.

Got to drive one last summer and it did impressed me but not to the tune of the $40k price tag. My money still be better spent on the cheaper diesel options thanks.

Now if only one of the company's would bring me the small Diesel engined pickup I'd be set. Till then my little 4 banger Toyota works for me.

i think the volt is a much better design, but its still not a hybrid. its a range extended electric vehicle.

But how long can the volt go without needed the engine to kick in?

25-35 miles on full electric, but can do 300+ at about 40 mpg with the engine running. the engine is there to calm the "range anxiety" folks who erroneously believe they need to have the capability of driving 250+ miles without planning or stopping. 35 miles was selected for the first generation because over 50% of the country currently drives under 35 miles per day. over 90% drives less then 70 (there, charge, and back again).

the next generation of electric cars will do 100+ miles per charge, not have an engine, and charge in 30 minutes.

#436 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:11 PM

I wonder if they can ever (atleast in my lifetime) fully utilize hydrogen as a fuel source for vehicles.

The problem isn't really in regards of how to manifest the energy, but how to store the hyrdrogen, I believe in the report I had to do a couple of years ago the amount of hydrogen would roughly be equivalent to another small car's sized tank.
Other than that and a few other minor issue's Hydrogen is better then both electric, diesel, and biodiesel. The only thing holding it back is the greed for oil and money.
109.gif

#437 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,119 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:41 PM

The problem isn't really in regards of how to manifest the energy, but how to store the hyrdrogen, I believe in the report I had to do a couple of years ago the amount of hydrogen would roughly be equivalent to another small car's sized tank.
Other than that and a few other minor issue's Hydrogen is better then both electric, diesel, and biodiesel. The only thing holding it back is the greed for oil and money.

the actual problem is creating the hydrogen. if it takes just as much energy to make the fuel, as you get burning it, then its not really useful. currently, there is no way to make massive amounts of hydrogen efficiently. the only real way to do it right now is electrolysis, which is adding energy to split water ... which is then combined back into water in the fuel cell .... so you are actually losing energy.

no guys, the future is electricity. one way or another its going to happen. maybe its not tesla, maybe its not the volt, maybe its not even batteries ... you you can bet your butt its gonna be electric.

Edited by cockerpunk, 08 April 2013 - 11:42 PM.

#438 nickp

nickp

Hippie

• Members
  • 7,768 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

Gonna be driving my subaru all the way from Maine to Utah this fall. Going to put in a new cat before then (got a code for a failing cat) and not sure what else im going to do. Its got 120,000 miles on it and the water pump and timing belt are new and so are the head gaskets. The tires are okay, cheep chines tires tires with tread. I can feel the suspension starting to get slop but your gonna blow out your suspension driving cross country anyway.
Posted Image
proud 06' Subaru Impreza owner
king of skiers
August Burns Red "wave good by to the past. You've got your whole life to lead"

#439 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

i cant seemto find the posting about it on the humvee forum anymore, but a few years back there was a guy out in arizone who tuned an army surplus hummer into a diesel generated electric vehicle. he claimedhe got the idea from from how trains work... i always thought trains were diesel hydrolic, but i guess some of the newer models are a diesel electric...

anyway, using a small turbo diesel whose throtel was controled by power useage meter he was able to charge the electric motorsthat ran each wheel, as the humvee design has 4 seperate "drive shafts" for each wheel, it was an easy mod to do, so he claimed... on the humvees 30 gallon tank, running bio diesel, he was able to get closs to a 1k mile range, pretty impressive for a humvee.... really wish i could still find the thread, it was quite an interesting read.... i remember that the 4 small electric motorsthat powered the vehicle were supplied power from capacitors instead of a battery array, top speed was limited about 60MPH, given that it used energy efficient and smaller motors. the way it charged was pretty cool, if the on board computer sensed that more power was needed based on the demands of the vehicle, then it would throttle up the small on board diesel to generate more power... cant rememebr what the torque numbers were, but it was awesomely impressive, if my jeeps v8 produces 330ft/lbs of torque split between all 4 tires, this system didnt have to, given that each wheel had its own motor, it would have been 330ft/lbs per wheel... vehicle was never approved at street legal by the DOT, so the guy sai he only ever used it off road...

anyway, here is a another vehicle that gets insane gas milage and is fun as all hell to drive....

this here is teh Scorpion Fast Attack Vehicle, primary use is with SF givent eh cost of these things... its a 2 wheel drive off road buggy, "seats" 3, and has more guns then most heavily armored tracked vehicles... its powered by a VW engine, and with a fuel blader to expands its capacity its got a range of 1000 miles... its 2WD, and yet it goes places 4WD trucks wont dare... its designed and built by Chenowth Racing off thier civilian desert sand rail... thing is fun as hell to drive, and the technical specs are impressive... i would love to get one thats street legal here in NH, would be a wicked fun daily driver... plus, i would only have to fill up once a month at most gas wise....

Posted Image

Mossberg 500 ZMB

#440 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

the actual problem is creating the hydrogen. if it takes just as much energy to make the fuel, as you get burning it, then its not really useful. currently, there is no way to make massive amounts of hydrogen efficiently. the only real way to do it right now is electrolysis, which is adding energy to split water ... which is then combined back into water in the fuel cell .... so you are actually losing energy.

no guys, the future is electricity. one way or another its going to happen. maybe its not tesla, maybe its not the volt, maybe its not even batteries ... you you can bet your butt its gonna be electric.

very true, but storing it is still an issue, even if they develop a way to harness the hydrogen they still need to find a more efficient way to store it.
109.gif

#441 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,918 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:39 PM

Gah, why is audio stuff so confusing. Trying to find subwoofers and an amp that will work together, at a decent price. But there's so much info to sift through. I believe I want 10" subs with 500w RMS power. But then do I want 2ohm or 4? My wants in this system are good quality sound with some heavy bass. I don't want to shake my car into pieces, but I still enjoy a bit of shaking from a heavy bass line. I plan on getting two amps, one to power a pair of subs in the trunk, and a second amp to power the speakers. I plan on eventually replacing all of the interior speakers with better quality ones. But here's the catch, I want to do this all with the stock head unit, because replacing the head unit will be stupidly expensive. The cheapest bracket I've found, which is required to change the head unit, is about $150. And then it messes with the whole center area of the dash, which I don't like.

I like how this guy has his set up, and I plan on doing it exactly the same, just with a different cut out in the amp enclosure, and with red lights around the subs, that light up when the subs hit.

http://www.cardomain...-mazda6/page-5/

#442 Woodyballer29

Woodyballer29

Brass Eagle Fanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:25 PM

Posted Image

.I never know what to put in these things.

#443 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:47 PM

Gah, why is audio stuff so confusing. Trying to find subwoofers and an amp that will work together, at a decent price. But there's so much info to sift through. I believe I want 10" subs with 500w RMS power. But then do I want 2ohm or 4? My wants in this system are good quality sound with some heavy bass. I don't want to shake my car into pieces, but I still enjoy a bit of shaking from a heavy bass line. I plan on getting two amps, one to power a pair of subs in the trunk, and a second amp to power the speakers. I plan on eventually replacing all of the interior speakers with better quality ones. But here's the catch, I want to do this all with the stock head unit, because replacing the head unit will be stupidly expensive. The cheapest bracket I've found, which is required to change the head unit, is about $150. And then it messes with the whole center area of the dash, which I don't like.

I like how this guy has his set up, and I plan on doing it exactly the same, just with a different cut out in the amp enclosure, and with red lights around the subs, that light up when the subs hit.

http://www.cardomain...-mazda6/page-5/

What freaking car do you have to where the bracket costs that much? Either you are looking at the wrong shit, or something stupidly overpriced. You realize the bracket is literally just some plastic or metal so you can put the radio mount in it?
Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#444 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,918 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:54 PM

What freaking car do you have to where the bracket costs that much? Either you are looking at the wrong shit, or something stupidly overpriced. You realize the bracket is literally just some plastic or metal so you can put the radio mount in it?

Yes I realize what the bracket is, and what it's normally made out of, but I own a Mazdaspeed 6, which has a built in stereo. So the bracket replaces the entire center dash area, and it's so expensive because it's ridiculously overpriced, because there isn't enough competition, so the companies making them can charge whatever they want.

This is what my car looks like.

Posted Image
This is what the bracket looks like.

Posted Image

The bracket is $200. http://www.carid.com...CFQjOnAodyC0ABA

Metra is the main maker, and I think there's like one other maker, but that's it. So there really isn't enough competition to make them lower the price, because both companies are more than happy to sell them for $200 each.

Edited by TK-421, 10 April 2013 - 09:56 PM.

#445 gibbeepbroxzor

gibbeepbroxzor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:00 PM

Ghetto rig it...

#446 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,918 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:09 PM

Ghetto rig it...

Some of us have actual class. :P

I like my Mazda, and want it to still look nice, and I don't think ghetto rigging it will make it look nice. I might look into seeing if it's possible to remove the stock head unit and just simply replace it, without using an aftermarket bracket, but I'd rather just use the stock unit. I'm sure there is a way to hook up a pair of subs to it, since it already has one sub hooked up to it. Just have to look at that sub and reverse engineer it, most likely. Fortunately I have an uncle who is great with electronics and audio stuff, and another who is great with fixing cars and fiberglass, and installing stuff, and they live in the same town. And to top it off, my uncle owns his own boat repair shop, which gives me ready access to fiberglass and skilled fiberglass people, which is how I'll get my boxes for cheap. And my uncle will be able to help me with the amp rack. And my other uncle will be able to figure out how to wire up the subs. I just want some knowledge before hand so I know what to buy, and can help install it.

I did find a sub that will do 500w RMS, but it wants to do it at 2 ohm, when I'd prefer a sub that will do 500 at 4 ohm, because that's supposed to be better quality sound, and less stress on the amp. And it's also $400, when I'd rather spend no more than $300 max on an amp. Both of my subs will run me $110 each, unless I decide to go with the 2 ohm versions, which are closer to $140 each. Hence the desire for 500 watts at 4 ohms, instead of 2. But if need be, I'll get the 2 ohm versions so that the subs will match the amp.

#447 bassfisher

bassfisher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:02 PM

that aftermarket panel looks really cheap and flimsy. Besides the a/c and defrost buttons are mixed up. two very good reasons not to buy any form of car part.
Carolina Riot Scenario Team

#448 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,918 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:41 PM

It does look flimsy, and the buttons are switched, and apparently the buttons are sticky, and don't work well. Which is why I want to stick with the stock head unit. The hard part is finding an amp with the power I want at a decent price. I'm budgeting $300 for the amp, and that's stretching my budget enough as is, no way I can afford a $400 or even a $600 amp. My goal is to have the majority of this done before I leave for my brother's graduation on the 25th of May. That way I can take my new car up north and show it off, along with having a good sound system in it. But if I can't do that, then I'll just hold off on it until I can do everything all at once, including the lighting kit, which I won't be able to afford before the 25th of May.

Darn audio stuff being expensive, and darn not being able to find a decent job.

#449 SilentButDeadly

SilentButDeadly

I <3 old guns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:43 PM

I did find a sub that will do 500w RMS, but it wants to do it at 2 ohm, when I'd prefer a sub that will do 500 at 4 ohm, because that's supposed to be better quality sound, and less stress on the amp. And it's also $400, when I'd rather spend no more than $300 max on an amp. Both of my subs will run me $110 each, unless I decide to go with the 2 ohm versions, which are closer to $140 each. Hence the desire for 500 watts at 4 ohms, instead of 2. But if need be, I'll get the 2 ohm versions so that the subs will match the amp.

That's not really accurate. The resistance of the subwoofer has nothing to do with its sound quality. Lower resistance speakers actually allow your amp to output more power, provided the amp is rated to safely run at that resistance. Take this amp for example. If you're running a 4 ohm woofer, you can only get 300 watts out of it, but if you wire down to 2 ohms, you get 500 watts! There are a myriad of ways to wire subwoofers to get the desired resistance, especially if you have a dual voice coil woofer. Those will give you the most flexibility in your system.

DO NOT cheap out of your amp! I can't stress this enough. Also, make sure the amp you buy has is CEA compliant and only look at the RMS rating. Any amp that has a max power rating printed on it anywhere is usually GARBAGE. The other thing you want to remember is it's always better to overpower your speakers than to underpower them. Currently I'm running a Diamond D3 10'' DVC (400watt RMS) and a crappy 1000watt (max) kenwood amp and it beats hard.

I recommend alpine amps for good bang-for-your-buck systems. You won't find a better quality amp for cheaper.

Edited by SilentButDeadly, 10 April 2013 - 11:45 PM.

As seen on: PBreview IOG

#450 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,918 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:51 PM

From the research I've been doing, supposedly lower ohms and more power leads to a lower sound quality, but harder hitting bass. And higher ohms is less power, the bass isn't as strong, but you hear the mid bass better, and it's better sound quality. Apparently it's also less stressful to your amp, and your amp operates at a lower temperature because of that.

I'm not planning on cheaping out on anything I do with my car, but I'm also not planning on going all out. I want good quality at a good price. I don't have the greatest hearing, so I don't need super expensive high end equipment, when I won't be able to tell enough of a difference to justify the price. I'm sure there is an actual difference, and the high quality stuff is worth the price if you're an audiophile, but my hearing sucks, so I'll just buy the mid grade stuff, which will most likely be more than enough quality for me.

I was planning on getting two of these subs, and then mounting them behind the wheels, just like in the link I showed. http://www.amazon.co...=I31L6SAQW5O75S

Anybody got any brilliant ideas for shapes for the cutout on the sub rack? I'd prefer to not copy the guy 100%, so would like a different cutout, but don't have any brilliant ideas yet.

Do I want a one channel amp? Do I want a two channel amp? I'm planning on only using two subs, and I'll disconnect the stock sub, but won't remove it so that I don't lose it.

For the second amp for the rest of the speakers, do I want a six channel amp, since I have six other speakers? Do I want a five channel? Four?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users