• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

I was thinking about using only first strikes for LL this year. Has anybody done this? Is it practical? I've never been to a Living Legends before, so I was thinking I might just use an electro my first time. Or both. Just looking for a second opinion. Thoughts?

#2 Soldier of Fortune

Soldier of Fortune

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

Not a bad way to go. FSR are not nearly as tempermental as regular paint when it comes to chopping, heat, and moisture. Plus there will already be hundreds of people with you laying downs lanes of paint so being out gunned really isn't a problem. Also with first Strikes you tend to shoot alot less (volume and cost wise). As long as you find using FSR fun I'd say go for it.

I still suck and barely know positions.

thats what my wife said when I first met her...

#3 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,837 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

I've never used just FS rounds for Legends, but I have done a few weekend events with just FS rounds, and I've found that I either spend below or up to my normal budget on paint on FS rounds. Since a box of 100 is $40, depending on the event, I can get 200 rounds for the same as a single case of paint. 200 rounds may not seem like much, but when you have the range and accuracy of FS rounds, 200 goes a long way. I would say I went through an average of maybe 400-500 FS rounds for the whole weekend, so it was an average of about $120-160 in paint cost, which was equivalent to 2-3ish cases of paint.

I would personally only recommend going FS only if you've used FS rounds before, and are aware of the different playing style. Going from a regular setup to just FS rounds for the first time may get a little frustrating as you get used to how the rounds behave, how to conserve your shots, the patience of it all, etc. I myself will be using FS rounds for part of Legends as a break from shooting normal paint.

Also, UV Halo is one who's got much more experience with this than me, as he's not only used FS rounds exclusively for a while, he's actually played LL with them too.

Edited by andrewthewookie, 16 January 2013 - 07:37 PM.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT • 09 Impulse • HB REV-i • Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor • Grillz • PE 70/45 • Feedback - 23/0/0

Fear is the mind-killer

#4 UV Halo

UV Halo

Bringing the Big Guns to LLVI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

I was thinking about using only first strikes for LL this year. Has anybody done this? Is it practical? I've never been to a Living Legends before, so I was thinking I might just use an electro my first time. Or both. Just looking for a second opinion. Thoughts?

Having done it for three years in a row, I can say, it can be done and it is enjoyable.

I would ask this: Can you play an entire match or day with only FS? If so, I'd say you can do it at LL.

#5 TooTallNiCo

TooTallNiCo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

I'd say no. And here is why:

To take full advantage of first strike rounds you need to have long, open sight lines. Well in paintball these are hard to come by. At CPX there's not too many places where engagements like this will take place other than the dreaded Ravine. Not a lot of brush obstructing your view, and if you have the high ground along the road then you could hold up a good amount of people. Problem is that both sides flood the Ravine area with players because it is a critical section of the field. Whichever team holds it owns the field because you can easily turn on the enemy teams flank. So that area sees a lot of traffic and engagements take place within range of normal paintballs. So I wouldn't waste money on First Strikes that you will use for eliminations at ranges that you can get from normal paintballs.

Sounds like you shoot magfed or a Hammer7 since you're talking all first strike. I recommend using that during the day on Saturday and Sunday, and for Dinner and Final Battle using an electro

Member of the Brew City Bomb Squad
Check us out here at Brew City Bomb Squad Paintball
Veteran of Living Legends V, VI

CPX Legion: My Name is Legion, For We Are Many..

#6 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

The patience and low amount of shooting doesn't bother me that much. Actually, I feel that with my experience in hunting and shooting I might just feel right at home with it. I was mostly worried about lack of sight lines and opportunity to (for lack of a better term) snipe.

The big kicker is that I don't have a FS setup. Getting one as far as price doesn't really bother me, I can't afford a DAM or anything like that, but I can get a decked-out T9.1 or the like with no problem.

I was wondering what would be recommended for a First Strike setup, as I can get one and then play with it up until LL and make a decision as to whether or not it's something I wanna do.

TLDR I have no problem with the playing style and cost that comes with FS, so what kind of setup should I get? I'd rather not go over 500 if I can help it.

#7 TooTallNiCo

TooTallNiCo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

The patience and low amount of shooting doesn't bother me that much. Actually, I feel that with my experience in hunting and shooting I might just feel right at home with it. I was mostly worried about lack of sight lines and opportunity to (for lack of a better term) snipe.

The big kicker is that I don't have a FS setup. Getting one as far as price doesn't really bother me, I can't afford a DAM or anything like that, but I can get a decked-out T9.1 or the like with no problem.

I was wondering what would be recommended for a First Strike setup, as I can get one and then play with it up until LL and make a decision as to whether or not it's something I wanna do.

TLDR I have no problem with the playing style and cost that comes with FS, so what kind of setup should I get? I'd rather not go over 500 if I can help it.

T9.1 Ranger would be the cheapest option. But other options out there would be the Rap4 468 (will be released in March for $450 and is first strike ready,) Hammer7, T8.1, T4.1, X7 Phenom with MKPII kit (DMag ready.) The benefit with the T8.1, and this is what i'm waiting for, is the Milsig FXR kit. It's a kit that slides over your 8.1 that basically turns it into a badass looking rifle

#8 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

I have heard of the FXR kit, and it does sound very awesome. I was also looking at anything compatible with Dmags, considering the price, but I may just go with something from Tiberius. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

#9 TooTallNiCo

TooTallNiCo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

I have heard of the FXR kit, and it does sound very awesome. I was also looking at anything compatible with Dmags, considering the price, but I may just go with something from Tiberius. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Well for the price, and if you have played pump before, I wouldn't pass up on the Hammer7

#10 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

Wow,I'm a dumb.I forgot about Milsig.

Edited by paintballguy2255, 18 January 2013 - 07:29 PM.

#11 Irish725

Irish725

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

I plan on rocking a setup with a Hammer 7 and maybe a pair of TPX's as one of my load outs. Or T8's lol. But I really want to get a Hammer 7 to be my FS ready load out, to save money and to have that FS set up able.

IrishBanner2_zps537819c4.png

Veteran of Living Legends V and VI...looking forward to LL VII! 

#12 UV Halo

UV Halo

Bringing the Big Guns to LLVI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

I'd recommend the Hammer7 and if the price is low enough (I haven't checked), an MR5 or E-MR5.

As far as DMAGs go. That'd only be RAP4 and milsig (althought I thought milsig was going to produce their own), and that'll likely be that way in the future as every manufacture has their own take on how to feed FS rounds. Of all the ones on the market, I'd say Dye has done theirs best.

There were some times where I found I was limited by my T9.1. In some extremely thick areas I'd come into contact and simply not be able to shoot enough rounds through the bush to get them before they got me. But, in a total of six playing days (three years of the two day scenario), it's happened less than a handful of times.

In regards to the Dinner and Final Battles, there aren't a huge number of opportunities but, they are there. I've had loads of fun in the woods along the northern edge of the battle and, from the two story structures. If I've ever felt the need to have a traditional paintball gun, it would be for this, but only to put fire on the hill.

#13 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

Yeah, I might just go with the Hammer 7. But if a Milsig comes out, has mech full auto, and 5 dollar mags I'm all over it(M17?). I'm just not a fan of RAP4, they conduct themselves in a way that I feel makes them a joke amongst the paintball market.

That's something I was wondering about the final battle. Are there really any elevated positions or any sort of flank that a FS user could exploit? If you don't feel like sharing, that's fine, or PM me. I won't tell. ;)

Edited by PREDATOR 47, 17 January 2013 - 11:38 PM.

#14 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • 21,837 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:46 PM

A gun that just recently came out is the Scarab Arms TGR2. FS compatible, and it works with both Rap4 and Milsig magazines. It's like $600 for a package with a decent number of magazines though.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT • 09 Impulse • HB REV-i • Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor • Grillz • PE 70/45 • Feedback - 23/0/0

Fear is the mind-killer

#15 TooTallNiCo

TooTallNiCo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:36 AM

A gun that just recently came out is the Scarab Arms TGR2. FS compatible, and it works with both Rap4 and Milsig magazines. It's like $600 for a package with a decent number of magazines though.

Except for the fact that there is no adjustable velocity. You have to swap out springs. And shit like that is completely unacceptable for a gun in the price range

#16 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

I'll have to look into it, and I might just have to start stacking paychecks for it, and changing springs isn't "unacceptable", it would seem to me that once you get the velocity set you wouldn't have to mess with it again, considering it's a spring.

I want some cool magfed setup, but at this point I'm not sure how worth it it would be to shell out the money right now.

#17 Irish725

Irish725

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

Only issue I have with the TGR2 is that by changing springs you can't really "dial in" your velocity to as close as you want. You have set amounts and thats it. On my MILSIG, I have a velocity adjuster, so if one field is 290 FPS (like my home field is), and another (say CQB in Canada) is 250, I can easily adjust, instead of having to shoot at either 280 or like 200.

IrishBanner2_zps537819c4.png

Veteran of Living Legends V and VI...looking forward to LL VII! 

#18 brycelarson

brycelarson

Show me the Data!

• 8,586 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

To take full advantage of first strike rounds you need to have long, open sight lines. Well in paintball these are hard to come by. At CPX there's not too many places where engagements like this will take place other than the dreaded Ravine.

I watched UV hold off the entire push from the other team in the ravine two years ago for 30 minutes. I was dug in on the front line - he was about 30' behind me and playing whack-a-mole with anyone who stood up. It was awesome.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users