Photo

High capacity Dye Rotor top or stock top?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: Money is no issue (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Which is better, High capacity top or stock top?

1. High capacity shell (6 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Stock top shell (6 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 soccer72727

soccer72727

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

For christmas I got a High capacity top shell for my Dye Rotor. This means money is not the point here because i already have it. I have come to understand that the extra weight could be a factor, in addition to the larger profile.

Which top would you choose for college level paintball and why? Does the extra height REALLY make a bigger target or is the difference negligible? Does the extra weight make snap shooting or other parts of playing more difficult?

I would like the extra room but I am not sure if it will affect the way I play, it will probably be the same or close to it but what is your opinion?

Extras: I have a g6r and i typically seem to play the mid position, occasionally front on dorito side, if it matters.

#2 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

Id stick with the stock. The stock top already makes it feel a little top heavy and with the high cap it will make it feel more top heavy. The extra room, at least for me, doesn't justify the bigger profile and more top heaviness.

#3 madsnipes

madsnipes

Jailbot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

yes, with the high capacity top it might actually be able to hold a full pod of paint Posted Image
rotors do not hold much paint and i am not a fan of that

#4 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:40 PM

yes, with the high capacity top it might actually be able to hold a full pod of paint Posted Image
rotors do not hold much paint and i am not a fan of that

The stock top already holds more than a pod. The high cap will make the setup feel more top heavy.

#5 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,064 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:44 PM

The stock top already holds more than a pod.

This emoticon "Posted Image" means or implies sarcasm.

#6 Dakent

Dakent

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:44 PM

My rotor holds 178 or so and i play front/snake so i prefer the stock. If im back, i'd go high cap.

Posted Image
Luxe 2.0 Dye 68/45 Rotor i4 Feedback 4/0/0

Gearbag Sale

#7 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:49 PM

The stock top already holds more than a pod.

This emoticon "Posted Image" means or implies sarcasm.

Oops. My eyes stopped at the word "pod".

#8 LegionPB

LegionPB

1st Place Verbandsliga!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

My rotor holds 178 or so and i play front/snake so i prefer the stock. If im back, i'd go high cap.

^^
It depends what position you play in my opinion. Like it was stared above, if you are a back player a high-cap top might be better for you but if I was playing forward I would stick with the stock cap.

Kaiserslautern Legion -Captain- All American Team Ballin in Germany! (Members from the U.S. Air Force, U.S. Army, and the DoD)
Sponsored by: DXS, Oringmonkey, MAXS, HK Army
-DPL: Deutschland Paintball League & European Millenium Series-
Luxe Mob! (Reverse Poison Luxe 2.0 & Dust Black/Gloss Black 1.0 w/ ALL 2.0 Up's)
If You Haven't Already Please Like My Teams Facebook Page! http://www.facebook....tballKL?fref=ts

#9 Flik

Flik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

Agreed. There will always be a time a place when an upgrade like this will work better than stock. You just have to play with it enough to judge whether it fits your style. The nice thing about the rotor is that it's extremely easy to swap out parts. I've used the high capacity shell pretty aggressively and the neck doesn't show any signs of snapping. Yes, it will add more weight, but that's to be expected. The only time I've regretted having a larger profile is when popping up over the top of a bunker. You can still snap shoot without a problem, just practice with the addition weight and your muscles will adapt. I personally use it when I play back at speedball and airball fields, as well as during most scenarios. I'll switch it out, though, when I need to get down and dirty in snake or any other instance that requires a lower profile.

If you do decide use it, and find yourself swapping between the two pretty regularly, it may also be in your best interest to purchase an extra rotor color kit. This will prevent you from having to remove the screws/lid every time you want to make the swap. I live in Florida so it also comes in handy when it rains since I'll usually keep a speed feed on one and a lid on the other; takes two seconds to change the shell which is nice when you only have a minute or two between games.

Edited by Flik, 17 January 2013 - 04:57 PM.

#10 pb28188

pb28188

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

If your mid the high cap would work well.... Try it out and if you like it and it works stick with it and if you hate it don't use it...... You didn't pay for it so its worth the shot

#11 Pakistani

Pakistani

www.AliZaman.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

i always though that the rotor high capacity top was pointless. sure you can shoot a little bit more paint off the break, but after that you're still limited to the number of balls inside of your pods.

KPS Paintball VCU Rams Richmond Rage

If you need help with a Dye gun, PM me!

#12 D.A.M.Baller321

D.A.M.Baller321

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

The weight shouldn't matter. If you train and practice with it you will get use to. There is a learning curve with everything in life.
My link D.A.M.Baller321 feedback
My link LNIB Dye D.A.M.

#13 The Knife Crazy

The Knife Crazy

Spray and Pray Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

og top...i purposely got the rotor for its sleekness and that hi cap top is just plain ugly Posted Image

If You're Not in the Front, You're Doing it Wrong

Current Setup:
Empire Axe in Gun Metal Grey with Matching Freak Barrel Kit
Dye Rotor
Ninja 50/4500

#14 LV Backpacker

LV Backpacker

Master Member

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,402 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

It really depends on how much you lane of the break. The only thing having the high top does is give you a bit longer that you can hold down your lane before you need to break out a pod.

If you want to get sponsored, present yourself as a mature adult, not a four year old with a crayon.

Posted Image
Gearbag
Feedback

#15 NJC

NJC

pumper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:16 AM

i would stay stock top. never had a reason to change mine and i play corners and back center a lot. i prefer the lower profile and lighter weight of the stock top as it makes snap shooting easier
just play a couple practices with the high capacity and see if you like it more

Edited by NJC, 26 January 2013 - 12:16 AM.

I split my vote, half for etekgirl's body, half for her mind, because I respect a woman's mind just as much as her cans.
*Waits to get hit*

#16 Jalen

Jalen

Resident Psychopath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:53 AM

I've only seen one in person before, and it didn't seem that much bigger, but I stick with the belief that if a ball misses your hopper, it'll hit your face anyway.
I only play paintball so I can tell dirty jokes.

#17 Tick

Tick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

Unless you're a Back player, typically a home player, it wouldn't suit anyone else.

It's only good for break out, and that's about it.

PayPal Verified | Over 300 + eBay transactions| 10/0/0

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users