• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 philip0871

philip0871

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

I am looking for a good budget mask $50 or under. I was considering the Empire Helix, thats the cheapest one I could find with a thermal lens. Anyone have any experience with this mask or any other suggestions? Thanks

#2 A&MBaller

A&MBaller

meow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

Worth the $20 extra

#3 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

You could just save up and buy a high end mask and be done with it. Another good mask you can go with is the VForce Grill. Those are great masks, and relatively cheap. I'm not a big fan of my Proflex's honestly, save for the Spectra Foam. The ears are shit, and changing the lenses is *ugh* terrible.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#4 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

I say just save up a little more and get the proflex,but if you can get about double the money,then get the E-flexes,as they are basically proflexes done more right.

#5 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

Or if you have a smaller face, the I4's are awesome. But if you're on a serious budget, at least go with the Vforce Grills.

#6 philip0871

philip0871

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

Thanks, Im looking at the Vforce Grills now. Im not a fan of the ProFlex either. Anyone ever use the Proto FS Switch with thermal lens?

#7 fatalreaction

fatalreaction

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:51 AM

i've used both the switch and the proflex's.... its more of a preference thing, i loved my protos they worked great however for me they weren't as comfy as the proflex, but i don't change my lenses that often to really complain about the spectra lens system.

That said if the proto's had the foam or were as customizable as the Proflex's i would have kept them because they too have the flexable lower portion.

#8 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:03 AM

The protos are actually great masks. The only thing that stopped me from getting them when I was buying my first mask was that they are rental masks at my field, and itd look silly to buy my own mask thats the same as the one they have to rent. Kinda like...buying a tippmann 98 for yourself when you can just rent one. But yeah, grills all the way.

#9 philip0871

philip0871

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm going to go with the Proto. For $50 it looks like the best in-between. I'm not really concerned with switching lens or any other parts of the mask. I'm more interested in a comfortable fit, good air flow, a lens that won't fog, and most importantly a low price tag. As for having the same mask as rentals I couldn't care less, the difference is I'm not wallowing in someone elses sweat and saliva.

Edited by philip0871, 23 January 2013 - 11:12 AM.

#10 dustyshouri

dustyshouri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

I'm not really concerned with switching lens or any other parts of the mask.

You should be. First it makes cleaning the mask a lot easier when you can take the lens out, and second lens don't last forever. If you need to swap it out you'd better hope it's easy. I know with my cheap mask it's an absolute pain to take the lens out. Cleaning is a chore, to say the least. I easily spend a good half an hour just trying to pop the lens out, yet alone getting it back in.

#11 philip0871

philip0871

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

Is it difficult to take the lens out of the Proto Switch?

#12 fatalreaction

fatalreaction

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

no, with practice taking the lense out takes about 30 seconds.... honestly however 95% of the time you don't need to worry about taking your lens out during the day of play....

#13 PEfanboy

PEfanboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

Is it difficult to take the lens out of the Proto Switch?

Not at all. I have the mask. Really easy to maintain and clean. It's amazing for the price.
"So, how many feet per second can you get now?"
"You mean balls per second.."
"...Dammit."

Hey! I reviewed the proto rail. http://www.techpb.co...0

#14 bassfisher

bassfisher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

I would also recommend the proto switch. They are a highly under rated mask. As a side note, the lenses are interchangeable with the pro axis.
Carolina Riot Scenario Team

#15 asthmaticrhino

asthmaticrhino

Skyrockets in flight! Beeewwww

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

For 50-60 bucks get a profiler. It works fantastically

Protip. Buy a shovel. Dig and Pile REPEAT until desired effect is achieved. Builds upper body and character. Bitches love upper body and character.

#16 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

High end mask. Maybe something along the cheaper side like some Grillz. But don't skimp on the mask. Ever. Proto Switches are ok, but its a midend meh mask. I use to use them a bunch, and they weren't anything good or that special.

Edited by Orange Chicken, 27 January 2013 - 08:54 PM.

#17 stlpaintballer

stlpaintballer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

I would buy a thermal proto switch fs mask, or vforce profilers.

Edited by stlpaintballer, 27 January 2013 - 08:04 PM.

#18 BraiNfreeZe

BraiNfreeZe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

Or if you have a smaller face, the I4's are awesome. But if you're on a serious budget, at least go with the Vforce Grills.

The i3's are pretty good IMO

"Always put a condom on your stiffi incase you shoot in the safety zone."

#19 Wolfe

Wolfe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

Some will say don't buy a used mask. But, I bought my Profilers used for 35.00 and it hasn't let me down. I've even seen used Events below 50.00. Not a bad way to go.

#20 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

Some will say don't buy a used mask. But, I bought my Profilers used for 35.00 and it hasn't let me down. I've even seen used Events below 50.00. Not a bad way to go.

Well it's not that they wouldn't be reliable. It's because it's gross. It's like buying someone else's underwear: it's sweaty, has someone's musk, their wear, their fit, their strap, their cleanliness, and yet they're everywhere, readily available new, just a tad more expensive. However, it's all worth it in the end.

#21 Nextgenpb96

Nextgenpb96

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

I like the jt proflex. u get no echo when u talk.the only downside is that the lens r a pain to change the lens

#22 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

DO NOT spend less than 70 dollars for a mask, here's why.

You can go right ahead and spend less than that for a mask. Lest's say you got the Switch. That's 30 dollars. It's a good mask, but eventually you will want something better. Something that fits better, gets more bounces, and has a better lens system. You decide to go for a Proflex or a Profiler or whatever. You've now spent 100 dollars, which could've gotten you i4's or an E-flex or Profits, the list goes on.

Don't cheap out on a mask, save up, get a good one, and be done with it.

Edited by PREDATOR 47, 01 February 2013 - 12:20 PM.

#23 D.A.M.Baller321

D.A.M.Baller321

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

The mask protects your eyes. Is your vision really only worth $50 to you?
My link D.A.M.Baller321 feedback
My link LNIB Dye D.A.M.

#24 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

Hence, get the Eflexs or I4's. Maybe the Grillz if you really can't spend that much.

#25 dustyshouri

dustyshouri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

The mask protects your eyes. Is your vision really only worth $50 to you?

Are you implying that masks under $50 aren't properly rated for their protection or something? I was always under the impression more expensive masks make playing more convenient(thermal lenses, comfortable and so on), but not necessarily safer.

#26 philip0871

philip0871

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:35 AM

I'm likin the Proto Axis,. Pretty cheap and very comfortable and compact

#27 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:07 AM

Yeah, I liked my JT Flex-8's, and now I regret getting them because I now want a high end mask, because of it's obvious advantages. Now I ended up spending 180$ in the end, instead of $110 to start out with. I'm sure you'll want a high end mask too.

#28 gibbeepbroxzor

gibbeepbroxzor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

Flex 8's were high end masks lol.... Its a proflex with some hard ears and stiffer bottoms... As long as you get the thermal, non "headshield" ones, they are a pretty good mask.

#29 kthopb

kthopb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

The profilers are my pick. They are comfortable, have a great field of view ,and have many different thermal,mirror and smoke lenses to pick from.
VForce Profilers
Invert too Loader
Gog Enmey
Ninja 48/3000psi

#30 gorgeousllama

gorgeousllama

THE LLAMA.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

go grab the grillz and be done with it... they are the best mask on the market imo.

Axe Pro, Spire, 68/45 Ninja, Virtue Vio

Feedback
+12/0/-0

#31 dustyshouri

dustyshouri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

Yeah, I liked my JT Flex-8's, and now I regret getting them because I now want a high end mask, because of it's obvious advantages. Now I ended up spending 180$ in the end, instead of $110 to start out with. I'm sure you'll want a high end mask too.

Am I the only person who just really doesn't mind this sort of progression? I know that if I buy a cheaper version, if I upgrade later I know have two masks. Same with my guns. In the end I end up with a full two sets of gear, which is good in case a friend wants to try out paintballing. They don't have to pay for rental and instead can just use my older stuff.

#32 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

Am I the only person who just really doesn't mind this sort of progression? I know that if I buy a cheaper version, if I upgrade later I know have two masks. Same with my guns. In the end I end up with a full two sets of gear, which is good in case a friend wants to try out paintballing. They don't have to pay for rental and instead can just use my older stuff.

Sure, if you wanna bring people, it's ok. But before I brought people I made sure I was really good in comparison to the people at my field so they feel like they're in good hands. So I made sure I, personally, had good equipment, because in the end, I mattered the most. But it should be the other way around, or not so at all. My friends have jobs and can spare money for paintball, so it's fine. You should buy good gear for yourself first, and then if you really want spare equipment for others, then you can go grab some cheapo ones that are decent, like proflex's, flex-8's, or empire vidars, or even proto el switch's. The only thing that's for constant lending is older guns. Most of us are gun whores, so there's always guns to go 'round. But buy the good stuff for you first. This is for you. Not for them. Hence, save money buy just getting the best first.

#33 Rhino1909

Rhino1909

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

I love my flex 8s, once I get a job I'll probably get either the grillz, i4, or eflex tho

#34 III Kezia III

III Kezia III

Lulzjustbeingacat :D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:09 AM

You could just save up and buy a high end mask and be done with it. Another good mask you can go with is the VForce Grill. Those are great masks, and relatively cheap. I'm not a big fan of my Proflex's honestly, save for the Spectra Foam. The ears are shit, and changing the lenses is *ugh* terrible.

ew ok so no. the only mask you'd ever want to buy used is grillz unless some other mask has the quick foam change out. buying a used mask is well...gross.

Lulzjustacat.png

#35 TheRealistBaller

TheRealistBaller

I wear MoonShoes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

get proflex's off ans theyre 65 but well worth it...one of the best masks out there even now
hey i play paintball

#36 eclipseguy47

eclipseguy47

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

Never go cheep on your mask remember they are there to protect your eyes and also if you get a cheep $20.00 mask your getting what you pay for

Planet Eclipse Tech

#37 brent24conyers

brent24conyers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

I got a vforce profiler for 20 and it came with a better lens , I absolutely love the mask!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users