• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Dits

Dits

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

My woodsball lode out is... A tippmann U.S. army carver one, JJ 14 inch barrel, gravity fed standard hopper, Save face camo mask, camo head wrap, JT gloves, T-shirt (black), camo pants.

What do you guys think?

DITS

#2 TinyBear

TinyBear

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

That's all ya truly need to play. It's a simple reliable setup that will work for ya.

If ya decided to upgrade anything i personally would recommend getting yourself some knee protection. On the gun side work towards getting a HPA tank (if ya not using one all ready) oppose to Co2 as its gonna make ya gun more consistent and in many ways SAFER.

But other than that get out there shoot some paint stay safe and have boat loads of fun.
AGD 68 Automag, AGD RT ULE, Azodin KPII, Sheridan PGP 2k, Tiberius T8.1,Tippmann Pro/Carbine, Tippmann SL-68II

#3 Silyputy

Silyputy

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

do you have an HPA tank? if not id get one. just reading i did not see one but i could have missed it. besides that yea not bad of a set-up like TinyBear said it will be reliable.

If they talk shit, make them eat it.

#4 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,807 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

If your mask is uncomfortable or fogs you could look into buying a different one. (the E-Flex is amazing!)

Edited by BurningPlaydoh, 24 January 2013 - 02:15 PM.

#5 The Knife Crazy

The Knife Crazy

Spray and Pray Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

What kind of shoes? For woodsball id recommend a good pair of victorinox boots. Super durable and waterproof!

If You're Not in the Front, You're Doing it Wrong

Current Setup:
Empire Axe in Gun Metal Grey with Matching Freak Barrel Kit
Dye Rotor
Ninja 50/4500

#6 Dits

Dits

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

That's all ya truly need to play. It's a simple reliable setup that will work for ya.

If ya decided to upgrade anything i personally would recommend getting yourself some knee protection. On the gun side work towards getting a HPA tank (if ya not using one all ready) oppose to Co2 as its gonna make ya gun more consistent and in many ways SAFER.

But other than that get out there shoot some paint stay safe and have boat loads of fun.

I do not have an HPA tank YET! i am going to get one but should i get a carbon fiber tank or steel?? or does it matter?

What kind of shoes? For woodsball id recommend a good pair of victorinox boots. Super durable and waterproof!

Either a pair of cleets or my boots

If your mask is uncomfortable or fogs you could look into buying a different one. (the E-Flex is amazing!)

I love my mask

do you have an HPA tank? if not id get one. just reading i did not see one but i could have missed it. besides that yea not bad of a set-up like TinyBear said it will be reliable.

I am getting a HPA tank just dont know to get Steel or Carbon fiber

tHANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT FEEDBACK GREATLY HELPFUL

#7 Salvation

Salvation

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

Id recommend a carbon fiber. Holds more air than the steelies of the same volume to keep you out on the field longer. Especially if you plan on playing in any scenarios.

Kevin
Indiana Member #"Old Fart"
SAS-Indiana
Central Indiana
http://saswoodsball.com/
http://www.sasmilsim.com/

#8 gibbeepbroxzor

gibbeepbroxzor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

Aluminum (often called steel) tanks are a quick option if your cheap and have an electro. Honestly, co2 is better for the gun you are using, as its already an unregulated gun. Co2 will get many more shots per tank over the steelie. You should save up for a carbon fiber tank though, as they are much superior to co2 tanks and steelies, as it provides the lightest tank, as well as the highest capacity for air. and is ideal for when you upgrade guns.

Most people don't like the savephace goggles... they tend to fog easily, have terrible breath-ability, and you wont get any bounces off the hard material. But, I know theres a pro player who wears one (forget which team, but i saw it on the webcasts all the time)... so I don't know. I wouldn't buy one. I like my Profits, I get an insane amount of bounces off my LENS, as well as the soft material on the mask. But the Eflex and I4's are killer as well. You wont understand how great highend masks are until you use one.

Look into any used super loaders for an electronic hopper, so you can shoot as fast as you want, and I'd suggest picking up the Empire Apex2 barrel.

Edited by gibbeepbroxzor, 26 January 2013 - 01:09 PM.

#9 Dits

Dits

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

Id recommend a carbon fiber. Holds more air than the steelies of the same volume to keep you out on the field longer. Especially if you plan on playing in any scenarios.

Kevin

yes i agree carbon fiber is the better route. thanks for your help

Aluminum (often called steel) tanks are a quick option if your cheap and have an electro. Honestly, co2 is better for the gun you are using, as its already an unregulated gun. Co2 will get many more shots per tank over the steelie. You should save up for a carbon fiber tank though, as they are much superior to co2 tanks and steelies, as it provides the lightest tank, as well as the highest capacity for air. and is ideal for when you upgrade guns.

Most people don't like the savephace goggles... they tend to fog easily, have terrible breath-ability, and you wont get any bounces off the hard material. But, I know theres a pro player who wears one (forget which team, but i saw it on the webcasts all the time)... so I don't know. I wouldn't buy one. I like my Profits, I get an insane amount of bounces off my LENS, as well as the soft material on the mask. But the Eflex and I4's are killer as well. You wont understand how great highend masks are until you use one.

Look into any used super loaders for an electronic hopper, so you can shoot as fast as you want, and I'd suggest picking up the Empire Apex2 barrel.

Thanks for your help! and yes i agree theres not bounce on the savephace masks but i love the way they feel. im going to get a flex eventually but right now money is tight and im saving for a electric marker, tank, hopper for speedball so nows not the best time for a mask and yes i am going to get a carbon fiber.... thanks for all your help

#10 Original Gangsta

Original Gangsta

My name is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

Buy a nice mask before you buy a new gun, hopper, tank, etc.

I show up at a field that I never been to before for some rec-play wearing cargo pants with a t-shirt....carrying a old mech Spyder and two pringle potato chip cans for pods shoved in the pants pockets. The stares are priceless and after the first game or so you get to see the grins from the ref and players who know....priceless.

#11 III Kezia III

III Kezia III

Lulzjustbeingacat :D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:31 AM

A steelie HPA tank would be way better than a co2 tank. so what if his gun isn't regulated, the tank is. also HPA is MUCH safer than co2 considering the co2 has only burst discs and no grooves cut in the threads if the valve of the co2 tank started to unscrew from the bonnet of the tank and fly out the back. also he doesn't know exactly how much co2 he has left and you can't top off co2 tanks because you have to fill it, bleed it, then refill it. HPA is the rubber tire while co2 is a wooden wagon wheel. yes they were pretty baller about 200 years ago but there is just better stuff out there now for not even that much more. also he can get a bigger ci tank than a co2 like a 62ci steelie. they really aren't that heavy.

Edited by III Kezia III, 29 January 2013 - 09:46 AM.

Lulzjustacat.png

#12 Zombie Afroshot

Zombie Afroshot

Vroom vroom.

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,571 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:00 AM

lul whut? a steelie HPA tank would be way better than a co2 tank. so what if his gun isn't regulated, the tank is. also HPA is MUCH safer than co2 considering the co2 has only burst discs and no grooves cut in the threads if the valve of the co2 tank started to unscrew from the bonnet of the tank and fly out the back. also he doesn't know exactly how much co2 he has left and you can't top off co2 tanks because you have to fill it, bleed it, then refill it. HPA is the rubber tire while co2 is a wooden wagon wheel. yes they were pretty baller about 200 years ago but there is just better stuff out there now for not even that much more. also he can get a bigger ci tank than a co2 like a 62ci steelie. they really aren't that heavy.

A steelie tank would get him maybe a little over a hopper with a Tippmann, not a good investment to get a steelie as apposed to carbon fiber. It's essentially being cheap and regretting it later.
Posted Image
Feedback4/0/0

#13 III Kezia III

III Kezia III

Lulzjustbeingacat :D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

lul whut? a steelie HPA tank would be way better than a co2 tank. so what if his gun isn't regulated, the tank is. also HPA is MUCH safer than co2 considering the co2 has only burst discs and no grooves cut in the threads if the valve of the co2 tank started to unscrew from the bonnet of the tank and fly out the back. also he doesn't know exactly how much co2 he has left and you can't top off co2 tanks because you have to fill it, bleed it, then refill it. HPA is the rubber tire while co2 is a wooden wagon wheel. yes they were pretty baller about 200 years ago but there is just better stuff out there now for not even that much more. also he can get a bigger ci tank than a co2 like a 62ci steelie. they really aren't that heavy.

A steelie tank would get him maybe a little over a hopper with a Tippmann, not a good investment to get a steelie as apposed to carbon fiber. It's essentially being cheap and regretting it later.

if he can't afford a CF tank which by the looks of it I'm assuming not, the steel tank would last him until he can get a CF. personally the advantages that HPA offers even if its a steel tank over co2 is still worth the buy until funds become available for a CF. but thats just me.

Lulzjustacat.png

#14 D.A.M.Baller321

D.A.M.Baller321

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

May I ask why you are by a separate setup for speed ball. If I were you when you get the speedball setup I would just use the speedball setup for woodsball too. Before I got the dam I used my ETHA for woodsball.
My link D.A.M.Baller321 feedback
My link LNIB Dye D.A.M.

#15 Nextgenpb96

Nextgenpb96

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:50 PM

I don't like save phase it has a really bad echo in would either get a proflex or a eflex

#16 spqr-king

spqr-king

Lead the way, all the way!

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:56 PM

Dont buy a co2 tank thats a huge waste of money in the long run...

Check us out at Retribution Sports!

#17 gibbeepbroxzor

gibbeepbroxzor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:06 PM

A 20 oz co2 tank will last at least half a day of play on a tippy if filled properly. So yea, it can be a pain, but it's a helluva lot better than the steelie that is out of air before you can do anything. Try playing a scenario with that, it won't work. Most fields have staff that can handle co2 fills, they can tell you if you have enough left in the tank for another game. If they know how to properly fill the tank, it only takes about a minute or two. Not like you're going to miss a woodsball game in that amount of time.

If you are using an unregulated gun in the first place, the regulator on the HPA tank doesn't make much difference. Trust me, i worked at a field for 2 years with 98's as rentals. we used HPA so we could fill fast. Chrono them, still terrible consistency. Even after a good cleaning. For those kinds of guns, co2 is better. They were made to run on it. Like cars made to run on leaded gasoline. Its just not the same with unleaded.

I think, OP, when you say you love the way it feels, you mean the way it looks. They are cool, I agree. But performance tops looks 85% of the time. Especially when you are first starting out. Having a mask you are comfortable with wearing for 5 hours straight is better than a mask thats intimidating as fuck. Hell, get a nice mask and a set of Predlocks, that would be cool too.

#18 spqr-king

spqr-king

Lead the way, all the way!

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:14 PM

A 20 oz co2 tank will last at least half a day of play on a tippy if filled properly. So yea, it can be a pain, but it's a helluva lot better than the steelie that is out of air before you can do anything. Try playing a scenario with that, it won't work. Most fields have staff that can handle co2 fills, they can tell you if you have enough left in the tank for another game. If they know how to properly fill the tank, it only takes about a minute or two. Not like you're going to miss a woodsball game in that amount of time.

If you are using an unregulated gun in the first place, the regulator on the HPA tank doesn't make much difference. Trust me, i worked at a field for 2 years with 98's as rentals. we used HPA so we could fill fast. Chrono them, still terrible consistency. Even after a good cleaning. For those kinds of guns, co2 is better. They were made to run on it. Like cars made to run on leaded gasoline. Its just not the same with unleaded.

I think, OP, when you say you love the way it feels, you mean the way it looks. They are cool, I agree. But performance tops looks 85% of the time. Especially when you are first starting out. Having a mask you are comfortable with wearing for 5 hours straight is better than a mask thats intimidating as fuck. Hell, get a nice mask and a set of Predlocks, that would be cool too.

Then when he goes in 5 months to buy a new electronic marker he will be stuck with a 20oz co2 tank no one will want.... Hardly anyone keeps a Tippmann more then a year or two so buying a HPA tank now will save him the cost in the long run and I dont know what your talking about I have never had an issue with HPA tanks in any setting? CO2 on the other hand is worthless with anything other then a hunk of steel...

Check us out at Retribution Sports!

#19 D.A.M.Baller321

D.A.M.Baller321

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:22 PM

The last time I checked hpa whether its a steel tank or cf will always out perform co2. Co2 is a dieing technology and is murder on an unregulated gun because of pressure spikes. Just watch either Mike's or hustle pb's videos compair hpa to co2. Better yet watch both and then come back to this forum preaching co2 is better then hpa.
My link LNIB Dye D.A.M.

#20 Dits

Dits

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:25 PM

May I ask why you are by a separate setup for speed ball. If I were you when you get the speedball setup I would just use the speedball setup for woodsball too. Before I got the dam I used my ETHA for woodsball.

i like to dress up and be diferent

The last time I checked hpa whether its a steel tank or cf will always out perform co2. Co2 is a dieing technology and is murder on an unregulated gun because of pressure spikes. Just watch either Mike's or hustle pb's videos compair hpa to co2. Better yet watch both and then come back to this forum preaching co2 is better then hpa.

i never said co2 is better than hpa i said i have co2 dipshit

#21 D.A.M.Baller321

D.A.M.Baller321

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:29 PM

Ok dressing up is one thing and I can understand that. When I use my ETHA I'm still in camp and wear a tach vest. But the truth is a speedball gun will still outperform most woodsball guns in any environment. What's your budget for your speedball gun?
My link LNIB Dye D.A.M.

#22 D.A.M.Baller321

D.A.M.Baller321

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:34 PM

The co2 comment was not towards you Dots it was guided at the guy that claimed he worked at a field for 2 years and was wildly misguiding you. I hope my comments towards him didn't affend you. I'm just trying to guide you in the right direction.
My link LNIB Dye D.A.M.

#23 gibbeepbroxzor

gibbeepbroxzor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:35 AM

DAMBaller, you obviously don't understand my point, he's better off using the $10 co2 tank, till he can afford a carbon fiber tank, than buying a steel tank, and then a nice gun. He'd be wasting even more money juggling the pointless steel tank till he can get a carbon fiber tank.. Im not saying Co2 is better than HPA overall. But for the money, on a tippmann platform, its wont hurt anything, it will actually perform better. This is why it was used on them. Yea, he cant use it on his next gun, thats why you get a carbon fiber tank. Hell, its been proven that an ego running a dual regulated co2 tank was better than HPA. Not really worth the effort, and price, but co2 is definitely still a viable option. There was a whole thread on it here... what like 4 or 5 years ago.

He's right in saying you should work yourself towards a multipurpose setup, saves money while also being able to perform at the top of your game. As everyone else suggests, get a nice electronic hopper, a carbon fiber tank, and the best mask you can, THEN buy a new gun.

Or just keep doing what you're doing. I just don't suggest wasting $50 dollars on a steel HPA tank when it will only have a resale of about 15 bucks when you upgrade.

#24 D.A.M.Baller321

D.A.M.Baller321

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:50 AM

All I'm saying is the steel hpa tank is better then the co2 tank. And who says he has to sell his steel tank when he gets his cb tank. I've upgraded to cb a long time ago and I still have 2 steel tanks. I play a lot of outlaw ball so I keep them around to lone out in case someone runs out of air before the day is done plus I use them to tech my guns or test fire them the night before a day of play. I'd rather discover a problem at home a night or 2 before I play than at a field or in the woods as I'm getting ready to play.

I meant cf tanks.
My link LNIB Dye D.A.M.

#25 FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:39 AM

I use Co2, and have since I started playing. AND I play in the snow, and freezing temps. My tanks run about $17 brand new. (20 ounce on sale online) and since they are so cheap, I can buy multiple tanks and have spares if I need them. (I have about 6 right now).

I never get why people are so gung ho for cf tanks... Around here, it is a royal pain to find a place to fill them... Where you can go to the local Dick's and get your Co2 tank filled. The guy said he was playing woodsball, so clearly Co2 is the way to go in his situation. Why replace something he already has?...

If you want to buy something, get an Apex for your j&j, that is what I use, and it is amazing in the woods. (I tape modded mine as the j&j I had was an older version).

Here is some video from our last few games.

Edited by FreeEnterprise, 04 February 2013 - 10:41 AM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users