#1 DaMasta

DaMasta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 02:21 PM

Hi Guys,

I live in Holland and play p8ntball.
I recently decided to get a stiffi barrel for my Ego08, and there are two bore sizes, the .691 and .693. The salesperson from the p8ntballshop told me that .691 is better because the p8ntballsize varies but is usually smaller, so with a .691 I would be more accurate then a .693.
But the standard ego barrell size is .693 so I'm a bit confused.
So help me out guys, which bore size would be better for my Ego.
Some help from players who use both barrels bores would be more then welcome.

DaMasta

#2 MurphMan

MurphMan

Badass Mod ☺

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,951 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 02:36 PM

Using a .693 barrel isn't going to affect accuracy, it may affect your efficiency. But the reason why companies like Planet Eclipse use an overbore barrel is during tournaments, a lot of players will break paint and having an over bored barrel will allow the next paintballs being shot to leave the barrel without any problems. It also gives you better consistency.

I prefer to over bore.

Edited by MurphMan, 24 March 2009 - 02:37 PM.

#3 Starter

Starter

The Bestest of All Titles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:42 PM

yeah over bore helps getting past breaks smaller bores actualy are a bit more accurate also both those sizes are larger than paintballs are so they're both over boring a small amount

#4 Oblivion

Oblivion

Waffles. Mhm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:54 PM

go with .693 i live in michigan also =D lol

Posted Image

#5 DaMasta

DaMasta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:30 PM

Ooh my bad,
I meant the Netherlands, europe
So all of you guys would overbore so in a tournament you could overcome ball breaks?
Nice one, I didn't know that one!!
I will have to go and discuss this new info with the sales representative

Tnx guys for helping out a noob

#6 lavalettenj

lavalettenj

Super Elite Senior Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:48 PM

Ooh my bad,
I meant the Netherlands, europe
So all of you guys would overbore so in a tournament you could overcome ball breaks?
Nice one, I didn't know that one!!
I will have to go and discuss this new info with the sales representative

Tnx guys for helping out a noob

Hah!

Btw, there is a huge, huge controversey regarding whether to overbore or underbore. That doesn't really apply to you, in this situation, though, because on most paint .691 is not really underboring. According to punkworks, larger bores are slightly less accurate and less efficient. Still, I would go with the .693 because it would have a tendency to break less paint, and can accommodate paint that has swollen from heat and humidity at the end of the day. Either way you go, it's still going to be a sick gun, so don't worry about it too much.

Good luck!

Edited by lavalettenj, 25 March 2009 - 03:49 PM.

#7 donalduck_69

donalduck_69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:49 PM

Using a .693 barrel isn't going to affect accuracy, it may affect your efficiency. But the reason why companies like Planet Eclipse use an overbore barrel is during tournaments, a lot of players will break paint and having an over bored barrel will allow the next paintballs being shot to leave the barrel without any problems. It also gives you better consistency.

I prefer to over bore.

Not to put you down Murph, but according to the science part of barrel boring, under is actually more efficient. As far as I'm concerned, not a huge amount, but if you really want to get down to specifics, that's what it seems to indicate. Of course, I'm basing this off the results from the barrel test, and it's always going to change, but in theory (as well as their practices) it does make more sense that underboring would be more efficient. Just my thoughts.

As far as your question Da, I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't even notice a difference in the two. Over definitely prevents more breaks, but that's about all for the strengths of overboring. Good luck.

Nate

#8 VICE_ROY

VICE_ROY

Stay Thirsty, My Friends...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,440 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:41 PM

Not to put you down Murph, but according to the science part of barrel boring, under is actually more efficient. As far as I'm concerned, not a huge amount, but if you really want to get down to specifics, that's what it seems to indicate. Of course, I'm basing this off the results from the barrel test, and it's always going to change, but in theory (as well as their practices) it does make more sense that underboring would be more efficient. Just my thoughts.

As far as your question Da, I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't even notice a difference in the two. Over definitely prevents more breaks, but that's about all for the strengths of overboring. Good luck.

Nate

Not to put YOU down, Nate, but Murph never said overboring is more efficient. He said overboring "affects efficiency".

Overboring is less efficient than underboring, this is a known fact.

And for the question asked I'd say get a 14' .693, so basically the same characteristics of barrel that the Ego8 comes with haha...

EDIT: Thought this would be a good time to say this: Even though someone may work at a paintball store, this does not mean they know everything, or are even very knowledgeable about paintball for that matter. You don't really need a plethora of paintball knowledge to work at a store. They really care about how long you've been playing, and if you have basic knowledge of all categories of paintball gear. That's it.

Edited by VICE_ROY, 25 March 2009 - 07:44 PM.

"I don't always shoot Spool Valves, but when I do, I prefer the Geo2" (The Most Interesting Man In The World)

"All the angles are at angles, there's a bumper inside the bumper, and the reg is completely air flow, flowing air faster in two different directions...and then they cross eachother. The bolt kinda like an Eclipse, it's just a keets-a-bobble. There's always varr-ubles, and you've gotta remember, uhh...there's always varr-ubles" (Bob Long in the G6R Video)

Gewn Owners V4 - Look at Your club, now back at Ours.

#9 donalduck_69

donalduck_69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:58 PM

Nate

Not to put YOU down, Nate, but Murph never said overboring is more efficient. He said overboring "affects efficiency".

And for the question asked I'd say get a 14' .693, so basically the same characteristics of barrel that the Ego8 comes with haha...

EDIT: Thought this would be a good time to say this: Even though someone may work at a paintball store, this does not mean they know everything, or are even very knowledgeable about paintball for that matter. You don't really need a plethora of paintball knowledge to work at a store. They really care about how long you've been playing, and if you have basic knowledge of all categories of paintball gear. That's it.

My mistake, I mistook Murph comment about consistency for efficiency. Very similar words. I was merely trying to give some of my insight, sorry for the mistake.
Nate

#10 DaMasta

DaMasta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:31 PM

Nate

No but as I said I was confused cause he told me that my standard barrel is less accurate, that's why I came back here . So I could ask some help from players with more experience then I have, and of course I didn't believe the guy right away.
And yes I want a 16 inch barrell

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users